"I'm really into music"

>listens to Sonic Youth, Radiohead, Father John Misty, Björk, Tame Impala and other Coachella normie core

Why do people do this?

They like the idea of being into music. They are using the hobby as a personality trait, like a crutch for how boring and uninteresting they are

the original fat nigga
because they're content with not exploring

people are dumb

>uses the word normie

Dude, go sit on your balls.
At least they don't just listen to Nirvana, The Misfits, etc and wear nothing but band shirts. Nothing against those bands but expand your fucking taste.

literally everyone is really into music you autistic fucks, don't feel special for liking music

"I'm really into hip-hop"

>/r/HHH subscriber
>saint pablo tour shirt
>Wild Style on DVD

Nah nirvana is legitimately bad, watered down corporate music that consumes other forms of art, a total void, similar to Radiohead

They're more into music than normies (actual normies).

>you're not allowed to like music if it's popular

This

i'm curious what music people that post things like this are into

>this music is good because pitchfork / fantano / the radio told me it is

I bet you like all the albums Reddit and Sup Forums talk about

goddamn drones

Lol this is 90% of mu but except for entry level hipster stuff you listen to obscure fuckshit that's way worse than sonic youth and radiohead

>i listen to real music, Captain Beefheart, Velvet Underground (just White Light/White Heat of course), Joanna Newsom, and Can, the list goes on
>check out my rym guys
>why does no one like me

popul vuh, cabaret voltaire, teenage jesus and the jerks, the pop group,

sonic youth/radiohead fan detected. stop being so transparent in your butthurt

OP here

Tonetta, Stockhausen, Gary Wilson, Kim Fowley, Joe Meek, Phil Spector, John Maus, Steve Reich, Philip Glass, Henri Chopin, Francis Dhomont, Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, the Shangri-Las

i just like a wide variety of music. If the popularity of a musician obscures your enjoyment for them, you're just a poser.

>mfw when I enjoy all of those bands

And there's nothing you can do!! Mwahahahahaha

Ya, we can laugh at your sorry ass

>he thinks any of those are obscure or hipster or not safe

HAHAHAHA BRAINLET RADIOHEAD FAN DETECTED

>philip glass
>listening to the most influential musician of the 20th century

you fucking normie

impressive, you're a true music fan my friend! ;^)

I never said I liked any of those. I do anyway, and hey, I take the bait: I don't listen to the radio (who the fuck listens to the radio nowdays?), I have never read anything by Pitchfork, and I don't care about Fantano's opinion.

thats the point friend

Mwahahahahahahahaha

That would make sense if op didn't mention Sonic Youth. He probably only listens to shitty post rock and p4k-core jazz

holy shit you're trying so hard

jesus christ

inescapably embryonic, but perhaps there's hope one day

Trying hard is the opposite of my taste. You are trying hard because you fit your taste to match what your critic overlords and groupthink tell you to. You are a cuck to the collective mindthink, I am truly sorry for you and every Radiohead fan.

thats me but i dont like any of those bands

>

p l e b

you are proving by every comment that you are trying so hard to avoid liking anything with a slightly currently popular fanbase. you don't actually enjoy music, you just hate "le normie taste xD". maybe you'll grow out of this phase past puberty, but for now you should fuck off kid.

I would love to hear your reasoning behind the idea that fucking John Maus is better than Radiohead or Sonic Youth from a musical standpoint. Arguments involving their popularity or fanbase don't count.

Everything I've posted especially Glass and Stockhausen are widely influential and acknowledged presences on current music, both popular and uncommercial. Phil Spector invented 60's pop like The Beach Boys.

Not an argument, tryhard Radiohead fan.

You're also proving how ignorant your music knowledge is if you think most of those acts are unpopular. Typical Coachella normie.

Compositionally his rhythm is visceral yet contained. It's an interesting delivery. Philosophically Maus has a lot more going on than the empty rhetoric Radiohead and Sonic Youth embellish. Maus innovated hypnagogic pop and gave it ideology: it is Derrida's concept of hauntology fully realized in musical form, the ghost of an idealized future people in the past dreamt of coming back to "haunt" the listener like a ghost or a specter. This Is taken by the impression of the retro, dreamy sounds. The same could be said about Ariel Pink's early music, like the Doldrums, an album also superior to anything Radiohead or Sonic Youth ever put out.

we like death grips, sir

>Nah nirvana is legitimately bad, watered down corporate music that consumes other forms of art, a total void, similar to Radiohead

EDGE

I hate to inform you this but...Radiohead and Nirvana are edgy tryhard bands

I'm the opposite of edgy. I only listen to cuddlecore and twee pop like Beat Happening. It's not edgy to recognize a cynical cash in on movements. Radiohead ripped off krautrock and dumbed it down for mass Anglo audiences.

You can look at it that way. Or you can look at his music for what it really is -- average synth pop complete with repetitive drum loops masked under a veil of hazy filters and sold as something more important and meaningful than it actually is. I mean, I think his music is okay, but you can't seriously argue that something like Quantum Leap or Hey Moon is actually of better quality than Expressway to Your Skull or Let Down.

damn you must be really into music!

is bjork normiecore? everytime I mention bjork's my favorite artist to normies talking to me about music, they have no idea who that is.

Music is shit. You should not feel superior for liking any of it, in fact you should feel the exact opposite. It is a well known fact that music is the worst artform.

>saying that with a straight face when video games, poetry, musicals (not theatre, musicals) and architecture exist

This really emphasizes just how disconnected people here are from 90% of world

Normies don't listen to Sonic Youth. Normies listen to Katy Perry, Beyonce, and Adele when they're feeling artsy. Normies ask questions like "hey user, have you ever listened to Ed Sheeran? He's really, really good". Normies get drunk to Blake Shelton singing about beating his wife for America.

If you played any Radiohead song that isn't Creep to a Normie, it will be the first they they've heard it. They will either say it's boring or its weird, without exception.

Be glad that there are artists who are making high quality music that is also accessible. Be thankful that anyone still bothers to travel any distance to stand in a field to listen to a live performance. Normies don't do that. Normies listen to All Star unironically, and watch the world burn

>can only name things from his most popular album
>gives half-baked non argument that boils down to a passive-aggressive "no u" after my philosophical take-down

yep, average radiohead nu male. I'm sure you love the Gorillaz too!

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If you care about music at all and go to venues, all the 14 year olds listen to Radiohead and Mac Demarco and Kendrick Lamar. It's not impressive. It's not different. It's watered down and droney. Listening to All Star ironically is normie. It's accessible humor. (Fantano is normie. Car seat Headrest is normie.)

Music is worse.

its like your'e trying to prove my point

In the grand scheme of things, barely anyone knows who Anthony Fantano is. I've never heard him mentioned in the real world, and were I to ask any of my co-workers who he was they'd ask if he's in accounting.

Car Seat Headrest is not normie. Carseat Headrest makes Arcade Fire look as ubiquitous as KISS.

Best argument you could make is Kendrick Lamar, whose a mediocre corporate flavor of the month rapper designed to replace an old and busted Kanye. There's at least a chance you'll hear Kendrick on a a top 40 station.

protip, try walking around a mall or a busy street and asking people who the fuck Fantano is. good luck finding anyone

>car seat headrest is not normie

The music he makes is derivative, bland, not particularly innovative, industry plant shit. He's viewed as a bedroom pop genius because he's safe and easily digestible while actual DIY progenitors like R Stevie Moore are ignored.

Car seat Headrest is one of the most normie indie pop / rock bands I've ever heard, and he is not lofi or new or uncommercial or different. Arcade Fire is also shit.

You seem to think normie means retard baby boomer flyover state top 40 dreck that just gets churned out endlessly - it doesn't. Anyone who cares about music knows how to spot teenage poseurs who worship Sonic Youth and Radiohead and the Pop Group. Every Radiohead song has over 1 million YouTube views. That is normie.

music was a mistake

What a complete embarrassment of a thread

yeah, saying something like 'i listen to music' is just as natural as reading books, watching films, looking at paintings or whatever you want to name.
people will most likely have undeveloped taste without taking a clue

How is Stevie Moore ignored? I was listening to him in fucking high school

>over 1 million views

Justin Bieber's "Sorry" has over 2.42 Billion views. Compare that to Radiohead's "Creep" with 204 Million. And that's a 25 year old song that's been on youtube since 2008

you're confusing Normie with Poser

No one even knows who Bjork is though

>tonetta
vol 4 when?

Can you at least agree that poseurs are a subgenre of normie?

yeah that's fair

bjork was wildly popular in the 90s and is still generally well liked

has there ever been a time when an OP admitted what they listen to in a thread like this and didn't get torn up for it?

Ok, I'm gonna delete the thread then. That's all I wanted t b h

topkek

honestly I fucking wish my normie friends listened to Sonic Youth. even Teenage Riot would be some kind of abstract non-music to them. you have no idea how deep the normie rabbit hole goes, they're in another dimension

God people are so judgemental I mean do you really fucking care. People are gonna be fake or maybe they are just really.into their music even if it isn't really out there. Are you so fucking insecure that this really bothers you.

>Kendrick Lamar, whose a mediocre corporate flavor of the month rapper
Seems like Kendrick has been "flavor of the month" for the past five years.

but youre the biggest poseur in this thread

Because those artists are good and the fans prefer these good artists' particular aesthetic?

That's great that you bring up hauntology, except Sonic Youth do it musically far better than this Maus guy. Maus just uses retro sounds to make dreamy pop, Sonic Youth is actually using their dreamy walls of sounds to create overtones that don't technically exist since they aren't notes actually being input, yet one can hear them when they listen to the music. Far more interesting due to more musically approaching said philosophies while also being more musically sophisticated than making Cocteau Twins with lower fidelity synths.

Meek and Spector's arrangements leave a lot to be desired especially when compared to their successors like Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys who took similar ideas and made them more sophisticated and organic by having more moving parts.

Guys like Dhomont and Stockhausen are old news; very primitive compared to what electronic music has become today. Why care for baby tier tape fuckery when the music can now manipulated at a micro level in ways these guys wouldn't imagine?

Having the likes of Tonetta, Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, and Shangri-Las only shows that you only care for outwards gimmicks while having no true understanding of what this medium of sound is actually capable of. Neither sophisticated nor all that visceral. Worthless.

Steve Reich's great. He's a big fan of Radiohead as well, understands and appreciates their progressions and how well written those are. Of course you gotta actually know a thing or two about music to understand something like that.

Lets hope you've been trolling, because you're an embarassment far worse than any EDM guzzling, Nickleback binging normie out there.

a few of her singles charted in the uk during the 90s and that's it

she was never wildly popular, especially outside of britain

yeah real rap fans just masturbate to doseone

>doesn't get bonzo dog band's application of the theatre of the absurd to the sound format

fuck off radiohead loving IDM fan

Lmao you must think Weird Al is among the greatest artists as well if you think having a goofy comedy gimmick is all it takes to be good music.

Holy shit this is so autist. Good luck in life mate, because elitism is a sure way to be successful.

What is cuddlecore? It sounds comfy.

I don't think you know what theatre of the absurd is. Which is sad, Beckett and Jarry are well-known. Bonzo Dog is essentially post structuralist subversion of music hall.

I'm more curious what music people, that are indifferent to this 4chin normie/patrician jerk off, are really into. Show yourselves. I dig Tangerine Dream.

People like the Black Eyed Peas how are Sonic Youth and Radiohead even close to stuff like that?

>OMG I can'not believe that people listen to "Popular Music"! I mean, this "Popular Music" that got impact on people with a nice outlook in the future and good live standard, instand they should listen the "Popular Music" that i listen to, me, a generic ugly (+degenerate) self indulgent anonymous user like me. Wow im such a cool dude! *cool face*

What if I like "muh obscure artists" just as much as I enjoy Radiohead and Sonic Youth

I'm a Yves Saint Laurent model but I'll never be as cool and handsome as an anime poster who likes tame impala and radiohead

I think there is maybe two people on this board who still like Tame Impala

Quit denigrating architecture. Architecture is the most powerful art form there is. Go stand in a good cathedral; when you're in one, you have absolutely no choice but to share the emotion imbued into it.

The kids I go to school with are into Green Day, Boston, and Betty Who. I'd love if they were into Sonic Youth. You don't know how good you have it.

Lonerism bordered mucore for a while before it became le mainstream xD

>christcuck
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh I know exactly what it is. I think you just missed the point where I am saying that satire and subversion doesn't equate to good music. In fact in cases like Bonzo Dog and Weird Al, it's more of a surface tier gimmick which often hides the rather simplistic and basic compositions underneath. Compared that to bands like The Beatles and Radiohead, which are also in the realm of jumping genres and subversion, but make very clever, dense compositions. Bonzo Dog is very straightforward and simplistic comparatively. What you like them for is just a surface level aesthetic aspect of their music. Ironically, you appreciate the band for the same reason you are lambasting "normies" for liking the bands mentioned in the OP.

yeh i guess

>cuddlecore
it's pajama rock you faggot and Nirvana is great they're THE rock band of the 90s
Nirvana>Beat Happening your opinions are shit and my penis can feel your edge through the screen

you're the one calling people faggots, you consumerist lowbrow mouthbreathing trash

Kurt probably would've hated you, it was always his wish to be on K

I said all music is stupid, stupid

>Radiohead ripped off krautrock and dumbed it down
But none of the more electronic sounding krautrock groups have arrangements as dense as Radiohead's on Kid A. The only krautrock band that did more ambitious arrangements was Amon Duul II, and those guys are more on psychedelic end.

Sonic Youth is probably way better than most of your favorite bands desu

I didn't make any remark about popular music, but I know you can't read so it's ok.

I honestly only read a few post, i just replied randomly to bother people.

This can be construed for any media we consume really. I feel that a person doesn't have an interest in music unless they actively engage in finding and actively engaging in other forms of music based on personal taste instead of what is shown by p4k or stereogum. Basic personality will always = Basic tastes in any interest really.

Why can't people just like the music they like and not give a shit what other people like?

>Basic personality will always = Basic tastes in any interest really.
Someone with a boring personality can spend their entire day rummaging through the internet to listen to interesting music. Conversely a person with a very interesting personality that stems from them being busy with a variety of activities can like generic radio pop as well. This over-emphasis on taste is juvenile and narrow minded; a view that unfortunately exists in other aspects of life outside music as well.