Sell-out core

post them sell-outs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CJFQ_-WDKfI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>implying you can sell out and then make GP/NotM
bruh

If it was BP I would get what you're saying

BP isn't sellout material. I don't really agree that the money store is sell-out exactly, but the Zach and Ride have said in an interview or at least hinted at the fact that that album was influenced by their record label at the time.

>808s
>sellout
if anything it's the opposite

>sighed with a major label
>made a radio-friendly punk rap album

>not a sell-out

>808s
>not graduation

>a pop rap artist makes a legit pop-rnb album
>not a sell-out
are you stupid

>Sell Out

We're jealous because people are making money and it isn't us.

i get what youre saying. BP reached a wider, and definitely way more fucking annoying audience.

>as if they werent annoying to begin with

please tell me how arca is sellout

(1/2)

(2/2)

Tonight or Never Let Me Down would also suffice.

>a hip hop artists releases his most experimental record (at the time) that's completely different from anything else he's ever done
doesn't sound like he sold out to me

Kanye's sell out should be Graduation, and Animal Collective's should be Strawberry Jam
Death Grips haven't sold out yet

Modest Mouse - Good News...
Weezer - The Green Album
The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You
Nirvana - Nevermind
The Velvet Underground - s/t
Bruce Springsteen - Born In the U.S.A.
Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto

Who did these artists "sell out" to?

You realize that shit got panned initially right?

i don't think anyone here has explicitly said that any of these albums are bad because they are "sell-out albums" i quite like a lot of the albums listed, but i'd still consider them sell-out core

Eh in particular brought in a whole new wave of edgy teens who can't into any other DG song.

Death Grips totally did sellout on TMS, it's just that right after that they leaked their own album (with a band member's member for the cover) and quit the label to be independent.
There's even an official radio edit of I've Seen Footage, look it up.
Hacker was featured in a battlefield game.

>signed with a major label
>the sound is more accessible
>legit pop tunes
>more than a half of the album is singles
>most of singles are music videos
>his overall image is way more thought-out than it used to be

>not a sell-out

>Hip hop artist makes non-hip hop album, his fans berate him for "giving up on hip hop"
>Album gets slammed for not being normal Kanye
>Sellout

yeah good joke dude

>Art Angels
>sell-out
Sell-out to whom?

>Animal Collective's should be Strawberry Jam
why?

>Kanye's sell out should be Graduation
why?

>Death Grips haven't sold out yet
TMS is a sell-out album

not by the radio stations

than every other rapper from the 90s and 00s who started collaborating with RnB and pop stars and making albums full of such shit aren't sell-outs but experimental artists...

good autism cretin

that statement is relevant to every other artist in OP, and some other albums in that thread at some point

I am actually concerned there is people on this board that think 808's & Heartbreak is a 'sellout' album.

>sell-outs
user, more mainstream-friendly =/= sell-out

because Strawberry Jam is more accessible by the general public than MPP is in my experience
and graduation is just vapid pop-rap with no soul
and i don't even like TMS, but i still don't think it's a sellout album, death grips just got lucky, lots of weird shit gets signed to major labels. Trout Mask Replica was on Reprise

>Arca has made a name of himself creating mainly instrumental electronic music
>His switch to making vocally-lead art pop is somehow him selling out

???

more accessible =/= sell-out

Selling-out is about dramatic changes in authorship of an artist's music - not radical shifts in artistic style or target audience.

>808s
>sellout

>implying exmilitary wasn't exactly that

>Merriweather
>Sell out
kys OP

How did Arca sell-out?
Did he endorse some bullshit or something?
If you mean the albums content, eh older stuff is more musically interesting, but I think its still more or less in-line with his exploration music.
Actually asking.

how is strawberry jam not a dramatic change?

How ARE any of the others mentioned a dramatic change in authorship?

exactly

Maybe thread should be
Musicians I've seen on Sup Forums a couple times instead of just once so now its old news now that more than a handful of people know about them and I'm going to trash talk because I can't make music or actually know what sell-out means so I'm a negcritic-core
Idiot.

>The Money Store
>sellout
>not Government Plates

What?

Wow, people making insipid pop music continued to do so. What a bunch of sellouts.

ITT: An OP who has absolutely no idea what being a sell-out means.

Exactly

>pop rock album with obnoxious screams is more accessible than watered down synthpop with vocal harmonies
idiot

>pop rap is more accessible than straight up pop
idiot

>radiofriendly punk rap on major label with promotion on such reddit tier bullshit like Adult Swim is not a sellout
idiot

>unironically comparing noisy pop with rapping to TMR
idiot

then what?

>an experiment electronic artist makes a pop album
>not a sellout
read the fucking thread:
read the fucking thread:
>implying it was on major label
>implying TMS is not more poppy than Exmillitary
idiot

read the fucking thread:
elaborate

elaborate

Dylan going electric was considered as a "sellout" move

lol

was it autism?

>lol i cant say anythese productive

nigga u mad

lol idiot

anything*

>having a discussion instead of shitposting is autism
made me think

I'm aware of that, but it's not like Bringing It All Back Home is a pop album. It has some of his best songs - Mr. Tambourine Man, Gates of Eden, It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding). Try any of his albums from the 80's, if you want sellout.

lol

/thread

this is a terrible standard for sell-outery

the more obvious ones would be like American Idiot, shit along those alines

They went from writing songs like Gut Feeling and deconstructing Satisfaction to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=CJFQ_-WDKfI

ITT: Sup Forumsdrones get offended by the fact someone told them that their beloved album is a sell-out album

We're not lol-ing with you, we're lol-ing at you.
lol

Early Devo is great though

>can't say anything except lol
lol

It was the right decision desu

>then what?
Then what what? If by this you mean to ask me what I think it DOES mean, see

>signed with a major label
XL is independent.

>the sound is more accessible
Subjective. It depends on whether or not you have more of an affinity to electronic music or art pop. This is anecdotal, but I know tons of friends who would dig Arca's instrumental stuff, but would get lost on his newer shit.

>legit pop tunes
Elaborate.

>more than a half of the album is singles
Call me dense, but how is having alot of singles indicative of one being a sellout? It doesn't even look like the singles are packaged in a way to promote individual sale. They are just there.

>most of singles are music videos
There is nothing "sellout" about wanting to have a visual experience to go along with your music. It may promote sales, of course, but that does not equate to being a sellout.

>his overall image is way more thought-out than it used to be
Arca is merely expressing his homosexual anxiety through his work. It is true that he is putting more of himself in his music, but I fail to see how that means he's selling out.

Like I said earlier, it is a risky move to release an album like Arca has released despite building a reputation on a different genre prior. Especially if said music features his own vocals.

It would be more financially safe to release an album of shit he's known to do, but sans any sort of experimental nuance that he's known for. That's not the case with his new album.

ITT: people trying to have an in-depth discussion about something that matters to them

ftfy

>this is a terrible standard
see
The OP clearly just isn't very smart.

>XL is independent.
It's the least independent independent label in the world. It's basically on the edge between 'indie' and 'major'.

>Call me dense, but how is having alot of singles indicative of one being a sellout?
Appearing in media a lot more

>>the sound is more accessible
>Subjective. It depends on whether or not you have more of an affinity to electronic music or art pop.
Are you really implying that personal tastes and general accessibility of my is the same? Yes, you're dense.

>Elaborate
Listen to the fucking album

>Arca is merely expressing his homosexual anxiety through his work.
Through the music? Of course. Through the rest of what Arca is? No.

>There is nothing "sellout" about wanting to have a visual experience to go along with your music. It may promote sales, of course, but that does not equate to being a sellout.
Yes except that all the music sell-outs in the world make music videos to create an image through the visual experience. Is this coincidence that Arca does exactly the same along with making his sound more accessible than it used to be?

>Selling-out is about dramatic changes in authorship of an artist's music
I see you don't understand what a sellout is. Keep believing that your beloved shitty sell-out is not a sellout.

Pitchfork crowd

not that user, but there are clearly some dramatic changes in those artists' music comparing to what was before those album

Put Gorillaz Humanz in there, their record label got bought out by time warner after the fall and now gorillaz is just advertising random bollocks

What radio stations do you listen to that you can hear Death Grips on

>It's the least independent independent label in the world. It's basically on the edge between 'indie' and 'major'.
It's no Night People, but it still isn't major. Even if Arca did go major, you'd still have to build up more of a rationale than simply that fact.

>Appearing in media a lot more
You have to elaborate, as you are being pretty vague here. What kind of media?

>Are you really implying that personal tastes and general accessibility of my is the same? Yes, you're dense.
You need to rephrase this.

>Listen to the fucking album
Now you are just grasping at straws here. It's my second favorite album from this year.

>Through the music? Of course. Through the rest of what Arca is? No.
You need to rephrase this as well. What is "the rest of what Arca is"?

>Yes except that all the music sell-outs in the world make music videos to create an image through the visual experience...
Just because "sellouts" (by your definition) do certain shit, does not mean that an artist is being a sellout by doing the same shit. Alot of musicians have music videos for christ sake. Also I believe I dressed your "accessibility" claim.

>dressed

adressed

>What kind of media?
Music media, what else?

>Now you are just grasping at straws here
Isn't that fucking obvious that this is a pop album?

>What is "the rest of what Arca is"?
his music videos, his overall image

>It's no Night People, but it still isn't major.
Still, it's the least independent independent label in the world. It's basically on the edge between 'indie' and 'major'.

>You need to rephrase this.
Are you really implying that personal tastes and general accessibility is the same? Yes, you're dense.

>Just because "sellouts" (by your definition) do certain shit, does not mean that an artist is being a sellout by doing the same shit
Just because you don't want to think that an artist you like is a sellout doesn't me he's not a sell-out. He's doing the same shit any other sell-out does, no matter how good in your opinion he does that.

>the best albums from ye, ac and dg
okay

>being this much of a reddit-tier normie
go back please

Faust? Come on now. They were as far removed from being sellouts in the 70's as possible.

Comparing to what their previous music sounds like, this album is how Faust do sell-out.

t. autismo

wasted trips

why didn't The Beatles sell out?

was hoping someone would post this

>Music media, what else?
Holy shit whatever. There are a myriad of atonal, completely non commercial punk bands who only release singles. It's a handy way to promote music.

>Isn't that fucking obvious that this is a pop album?
Making pop =/= selling out. This album still has his experimental edge.

>Still, it's the least independent independent label in the world. It's basically on the edge between 'indie' and 'major'.
That's a bold claim to make. Regardless, I already said that you're gonna need more evidence of "selling out" than a label change.

>Are you really implying that personal tastes and general accessibility is the same? Yes, you're dense.
What makes you the authority on what's accessible and whats not? It's all about perception and prior listening experience. A Jazz aficionado might think that Bitches Brew is accessible, whereas someone who listens to top 40 would think otherwise.

>Just because you don't want to think that an artist you like is a sellout doesn't me he's not a sell-out...
This statement means practically nothing to me. I know he's not a sellout and that's that.

Her best album, but also her sell-out album

woah....so this is the power...of autism...damn.

>pop singer makes pop album
stop the presses

>808s
>experimental record (at the time)

Just because it's still somewhat experimental doesn't mean it's not a sell-out. MPP, TMS and AA are also somewhat experimental, still sell-outs.

This is how your unconventional to a degree artists make sell-out albums. Would be weird to expect from something like that pop punk shit.

Sup Forums really is full of brainlets

Fair point. I hope that you are the user I responded you because i'm bored of this argument.

It sounds very cheese and over the top. Is not like the feeling of devo is lost in here completely.
So fuck, you are you not a man?

Were you not aware of how music generally sounded in 2008 or...?

Drugs won't get you high as this
Elaborate elaborate elaborate elaborate