/jazz/

Armstrong Edition

Here are some questions:
>What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
>What do you think of it?
>Favorite Jazz album of the year so far?
>Favorite Jazz album overall?
>Favorite Non-Jazz album?

Other urls found in this thread:

salon.com/2001/02/07/ken_burns_2/
soundcloud.com/karkia-mistika-records/rakka-kuuma-narttu
soundcloud.com/karkia-mistika-records/black-motor-a-sudden-twistand-then-it-hurts
youtube.com/watch?v=8OOsNbuul68
youtube.com/watch?v=5TUHc4WkEGg
youtu.be/Uj4IttDq6Vw
rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2017
youtube.com/watch?v=BhVdLd43bDI&ab_channel=harryoakley
rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/reviews
youtube.com/watch?v=C6fEKP_tlC8&ab_channel=JazzysCookie
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sunrise of the Planetary Dream Collector- Terry Riley
While not a minimalist composition that acts as the precedent for all of his previous, and possible future, tracks; it is definitely one of my favored.
Don't listen to Jazz-
Still don't listen to Jazz-
Exploring the Keyboard.

Who here likes David Binney? Thoughts on his new album?

>listening right now
John Coltrane with Johnny Hartman
>think of it
oh my god man...hartmans phrasing and delivery is beautiful. trane is trane and all ill ever be able to say is that he is the best there ever could be.
>next two questions are too hard
>favorite non jazz album
right now, Steely Dan's Royal Scam.
while Binney's ability to groove is certainly apparent, the music on this record just kinda doesnt for me. maybe its the bassist but this record just cant get my head bobbing

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Great
Chris Potter's new LP
Hank Mobley - Soul Station at the moment
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush

One of the best composers and players on the scene today. This album was disappointing in some ways though. Still bretty good overall.

Okay, serious thoughts on this film?

Ken Burns doesnt know shit about jazz but wanted money so got literally all of his information from winston marseeeellis. ep. 1-7= louis armstrong and duke ellington are all thats worth talking about. ep 8 and 9= anything made from bebop on is a mistake, besides of course louis and duke. ep 10= might as well be a JALC commercial and a winston marsalis shill. i hate everything about all of it.

I think it's not terrible especially for someone who isn't familiar with the genre it's a good entry point in a convenient package.

But as Nuff Nuff said , FAR too much focus on the swing era and on the late 30s and Duke/Louis, with minimal focus on the post-war era (especially condensing everything post-1960 into one episode).

And Wynton and his revisionism are far too prominent in the film.

it is basically this:
salon.com/2001/02/07/ken_burns_2/

bump

currently listening to Black Motor/Rakka split release from obscure Finnish free jazz label Karkia Mistika

Rakka's side is very ethiojazz -inspired, a little bit naive in a good way. Black Motor is meandering rubato free jazz - I prefer Black Motor's more rhythmic and driving material, but it's OK

as a bit of a background for the release, much of Finnish jazz scene is centered around Helsinki and Sibelius Academy alumni, both these groups operate in the Tampere scene that has a more self-taught and independent spirit to it

soundcloud.com/karkia-mistika-records/rakka-kuuma-narttu
soundcloud.com/karkia-mistika-records/black-motor-a-sudden-twistand-then-it-hurts

>>What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
B.P. convention & Zagrebacki solisti - Misterij bluesa
>>What do you think of it?
like it
>>Favorite Jazz album of the year so far?
either new Joshua Abrams or new Tigran but i guess that might change
>>Favorite Jazz album overall?
Mingus - Blues & Roots
>>Favorite Non-Jazz album?
hard to tell

based yugoslavia
youtube.com/watch?v=8OOsNbuul68

neato

youtube.com/watch?v=5TUHc4WkEGg

Can't say I'm a huge fan of this honestly.

It's the use of modern hip-hop beats as a percussion element that's so offputting I think.

have you ever listened to Makaya McCraven? he's the exact opposite of this.

>Tigran
this is so good. thank you my dude.

no probs, i'm glad you like him.

it's like poppy and jazzy. really good stuff. i may have cried on the first track. maybe

I'll check him out

youtu.be/Uj4IttDq6Vw

Just posted this in the Japanese music thread. Thought you lads would like this.

Makaya McCraven's music is pretty different depending on the project though - In the Moment is very organic and freewheeling and essentially all improvised, but outside of that project he's groups play pretty straight-ahead contemporary jazz

More 2017 recs please

Matthew Shipp - Piano Song

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2017

yeah, i was thinking about In the Moment, i should've specified. I've rec'd him because on that album he is also incorporating hip-hop in his music but in a totaly different way compared to most artist that are trying to somehow fuse jazz and hip-hop. and the music being improvised is a big part of it.

Olli Hirvonen - New Helsinki

Never enough Louis on this board. Most people acknowledge him as a super ahead of his time and influential player, but there isn't near enough acknowledgement of the fact that he was the personification of happiness.
youtube.com/watch?v=BhVdLd43bDI&ab_channel=harryoakley

Atm, a Bach cantata (BWV 205). Far as jazz goes, I've aspirations to check out Larry Young's Lawrence of Newark, Henry Threadgill's Too Much Sugar for a Dime and since op had me thinking about him, some Satchmo.
I haven't heard a bad Bach cantata thus far (granted, I haven't gone looking for a bad one). I'm only two movements in but the timpani have been standing out to me. They really punctuate the vocal and instrumental lines they're supporting. The first movement's contrapuntal vocals were amazing, all that slosh about how beautifully Bach intertwines different lines, etc. I loved how the second movement evolved dynamically too and how well the the ensemble was written around the vocal.
Chris Potter - The Dreamer is the Dream
Woody Shaw - The Iron Men
Beach Boys - SMiLE

>Steely Dan's Royal Scam
Man, I did not expect you to be a Steely Dan fan...I mean, the music is well written and performed, but it's so Goddamn smooth.
I feel like Branford must be such a black sheep when they're at family gatherings. I've only heard him, Jason and Wynton, but he was the only one who struck me as having assimilated any music more out than Monk.
Tomasz Stanko - December Avenue

Nufag here.

I got a kinda strange problem. I cannot tell if jazz is good, very good or bad. It`s like I`m listening to something & like "oh, I like it", listen to another one & "its good".
Maybe you can name me some albums that are considered bad by you personal or critics? Or tell me what makes jazz bad. So I would be able to differ.

Thanks

maybe try reading some of jtg's reviews. he usually does a pretty good job of explaining why he likes or dislikes stuff.
rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/reviews

You say that like we all have a chart that we're referencing like "oh, not enough ii V I substitutions".
There's two different things this could be though. Do you lack the vocab to describe why you like or dislike something, or is your experience of most jazz albums kind of homogeneous?

More like this?

Probably the second one, as I said I`m a newfag to jazz, so I`m listening to recommended charts. My problem is maybe is that I haven`t encountered anything I don`t like. Which never happened with other genres. Even if its bold rated album on RYM I may dislike it. But I listen to modal, cool, avantgarde, hardbop etc and so far never stalled upon an album & be like "I don`t like it and I know why"

Unfortunately, that's a slightly harder "problem" to solve. If you're going through recommended charts, most of the albums you've heard are probably pretty great ones that most people on here would universally praise them too but based on what you're saying, you're not hearing the reasons people love these records.
When I first started listening to jazz, I had a similar experience and I think a lot of other people who didn't grow up with it did too. The music would just wash over me and I was sort of warmly indifferent to just about everything I heard.
I was listening to music where most of the appeal was in timbre and quirky surface level characteristics like jerky rhythms and stuff like Sun Ra really strongly appealed to me because there were all these weird synth sounds and crazy freakouts. Starting to appreciate most jazz music took time and patience. I don't know why I kept trying, but it did pay off eventually. I sort of just acclimatised and got used to empathising with the players and following what they're doing. If you listen to someone like Miles Davis, every phrase has some emotional meaning. He's a nice one to start with because of that level of lyricism.
You want my advice though, smoke a joint and listen to Kind of Blue. Give it your full attention and try and empathise with the soloists. Imagine they're singing or something and you're trying to follow the words.
Might not happen the first few times, but when you can start to make that connection with a player who you like, it's pretty magic.

Louis and Ella should have just partnered up for the rest of their careers. Velma was a great showoman, but these two were one of the most perfect matches in jazz music.
youtube.com/watch?v=C6fEKP_tlC8&ab_channel=JazzysCookie

>smoke a joint and listen to Kind of Blue. Give it your full attention and try and empathise with the soloists. Imagine they're singing or something and you're trying to follow the words.

This

Some neat jazz shares from the sharethread

Seconding this. All the records I've heard from here are great.

Anyone heard the new Thelonious Monk - Les Liaisons Dangereuses release that just came out?