Why do people get so angry when you call coffee/caffeine a drug? I'm not saying it's really that bad overall...

Why do people get so angry when you call coffee/caffeine a drug? I'm not saying it's really that bad overall, but it's ignorant to say that it isnt a drug and isn't addictive (even if withdrawal symptoms are light compared to others)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ETHbZRFP0F4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

one could actually say that coffee is as potent as many of the variations of amphetamine.

and yes. coffee is a drug.

When people hear drugs, there is a heavy negative connotation. When you refer to something they partake in regularly, they probably feel like you're calling them an addict. If you can't figure this out, you're an idiot.

youtube.com/watch?v=ETHbZRFP0F4 ,

It is pretty strange that some people don't consider things like caffeine, alcohol, and even OTC medications drugs just because they can be purchased legally without a prescription.

Caffeine consumption is pretty normalized so people don't like suddenly realizing that what they're taking is, in fact, a drug. Because let's be honest: caffeine is a highly addictive substance and there's no rational way to deny that fact, so in an attempt to maintain blissful ignorance they just become arrogant.

Probably because they're on drugs bro.

Agreed, makes me want a glass

I consider it medicine. coffee saved my life.

Because even though you're right, you're still a prick.

Who gets angry?

Sounds to me like you need to stop hanging around with cunts, OP.

but people take drugs all the time. it's ridiculously defensive to get angry at the use of the word. you can drink coffee without being an addict, and even then, addiction to it isn't horrible

there's a lot of overlap between drugs and medicine

depends on context. it's not like when i see someone drinking coffee i'm like "hey enjoying your DRUGS"

who get's angry? anybody who's addicted knows its a drug

a few people, an example is my brother who doesn't even really drink coffee. which is even more confusing to me, because it's probably not out of defensiveness

You can be addicted to anything if you try hard enough.

more mentally than physically though

Because everyone who isn't retarded already knows it is a drug by definition and is just sick of your predictable stoner ass ranting and raving about weed and why all 9 yr old children should be required to smoke it by law

It is a drug, just like dopamine's a drug. The problem with many words is that we've unconsciously given them extended meanings and like one user said, connotations that don't apply to the actual word, so when you use 'drug' in the intended context people see it the wrong way, as they should because we're that retarded to use words in ways they were not meant to be used.

i don't like weed

Whatever you want baby.

mentally is physically