Post-rock just isn't my thing because i feel like, because it's so repetitive...

>Post-rock just isn't my thing because i feel like, because it's so repetitive, the musicians and music as a whole are/is lazy, but they make it as pretentious and as "deep" as possible, even though it really isn't

t. my friend

What do you think?

I usually disregard the opinion of anyone who thinks that an artists music is too challenging to the degree that the artist is just trying to be deep.

hes right

hes wrong

>_______ just isn't my thing because i feel like, because it's so repetitive, the musicians and music as a whole are/is lazy, but they make it as pretentious and as "deep" as possible, even though it really isn't

literally any genres that have non standard song structure can be used.

your friend is a shitcunt.

let him listen to talk talk or early sigur ros or some other first wave bands.

then tell him to stfu

Swans and crescendocore are the only kinds of post rock that do this
tell him to stop being a pleb

how are they not repetitive and pretentious?

Well he is a huge fan of prog rock. ironically one of his favourite albums is Red, and that section in Starless is like proto-post rock

I love prog too but I found it kind of funny

there is really nothing more pretentious that the titles to GY!BE tracks

>I've never listened to Talk Talk: the post

i listened to you're mum lmao

Some people just dont get the appeal of so much repetition. I think the lack of motion is unsettling for some people in music.

that sort of thinking stifles art
I love the track names myself at least

If music sounds boring, repetitive or "unlistenable" then it just means you aren't "good" at music enough to understand it. Challenging music is the best music, it just takes work to get to the point that you can enjoy it.

unsettling =/= bad
sometimes thats the intention, especially with swans

Your friend's a fucking idiot.

People who call things pretentious without elaborating on that point and explaining why are legitimately inarticulate retards.

There are cases in which music is actually boring/repetitive in a way that isn't at all rewarding though.

> repetition
> challenging
if only because it gets on your nerves

yeah, the disintegration loops exist.

sorry, I mean silver mt. zion not gybe

Lol wtf and we also have pop which is also just plain fucking repetition

Hates post rock for being pretentious but likes prog..... really makes you think

:(

I hate post-rock and what your friend said is complete horseshit

Why do you care what the artist thinks this much?

Does it sound good? Enjoy it.
No? Throw it away or something.

this isn't as complicated as you're trying so hard to make it be

>Static
>Sleep

Really makes you think, huh? Fuck.