Your friendly host Alcibiades is here. Let's talk Sup Forums

Your friendly host Alcibiades is here. Let's talk Sup Forums.

>Give advice
>Ask questions
>Have a fun time

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IV3yvOkooYA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why were you such a traitorous faggot?

Because they blamed me for sleeping with the king's wife, but my true loyalties were always with Athens.

-Al

escrima seems nice. I don't think I have the patience or time to pursue that kind of art right now though.

Maybe later on...

inb4 meltdown spreads here

Sure fuck it.

I'm just tired and lone. I can't stop eating though I've started exercising, I've gotten over my ex, until I saw the new John Wick movie, as the mute girl in it looked a lot like her.

want to find another girl but I hate people, don't like em.

Was this directed at me?

-phi

Do you have a deck of Tarot cards?

Even for these trips?

How many wenches did you bed?

Hello again

-phi

moving on is hard, trust me. I've been spoiled on redheads for the rest of my life after a bad breakup.
it just takes time, and I'm sorry it doesn't feel like you've had enough just yet. it does get easier, or at least start to hurt a little less.

(lol)
Same here.
>want to find another girl but I hate people
I hear that.

-S

>dat filename
You tryin' to muscle in on my territory, eh?

-S

As somebody who has never had a pleasant break up, it takes time and I find to get over it you need to do some personal growth and acceptance. It's easy to feel that you weren't good enough when sometimes you are perfect and it isn't your fault.
Let time keep flowing and rebuild yourself.

-phi

If you can't stop eating, find a way to eat healthy. Find something you like about food and use it. Perhaps start cooking your own food. In terms of getting a girl? Get something your interested in, and if you have no hobbies or you think they're boring, find new ones that you like. Find people that share those interests, and there you have it, you have friends and the possibility of girlfriends. In terms of liking people, I think that's just a you thing, maybe make that your common interest. Find someone that doesn't like people.

Hello again phi, in terms of becoming a merc, I just applied and got hired, can't tell you the name because I signed a semi-strict nondisclosure agreement when I left, but its not that hard. Also merc doesn't offend me.

I'm glad at least one person appreciates my Greek-ness

-Al

Well I'd recommend it if you get the time. I had a lot of fun with it and directly translates to knife fighting which is handy.

-phi

hello every one who is here
tryed some escrima tbh i dont think is worth going for
yeh double "blades" is good in real fight
but overall you got no real reason to follow it
tbh think kendo(and there is style with 2 swords) is good to train is also big sport and you may find reason to become better

No I don't do tarot readings, and you might want to check those again, because they aren't trips. Maybe your GET machine broke.

Too many to count.

-Al

Cool. Would being a mercenary entail being a security detail or would it be primarily offensive operations?

-phi

See I did arnis which is different from escrima but they're related and nobody knows what the hell arnis is. I think arnis was useful because it's literally just a stick but also taught knife techniques.

As for kendo, it's fun and you might need thinking of the style started by Musashi. Dude was radical.

-phi

Well, I mostly took part in offensive ops. Mostly in Syria. Life is pretty much hell out there. I'm disappointed I couldn't help much longer, but simultaneously glad I got out of there.

-Al

Would you recommend it over military?

-phi

It's name reflects that it is the absence of the light blocked by the characters body. Not anything to do with you sir.

I looked it up in the past, the ability to strike in rapid repetition at close range with multiple bladed weapons is of value.

It should be remembered that proficiency with a weapon is important as well. (generally speaking)

the difference is a mater of method. Both have their benefits over one another.

It sure as hell pays more. Depends on who you join up with. Most of the ones in the U.S. like Academi and a few others are pretty good. Most of the European ones are as well. Anything based outside of those I'd have to do some research on.

-Al

>I want to find another girl but I hate people.

Feel you there so bloody much.

I was abused as a child, never really taken care of and as a result something flipped in my head. I'm cold with people, all my "friends" through school and then work were only friends there. I never cared about them nor would I hang out with them afterwards.

In person I'll put on my biggest smile, be incredibly polite and fit in really well. I can tell you exactly what you want to hear. But it drains me. And I never want to do it if I can avoid it.

I just hate people. Everyone's selfish, they all have some motive driving them.

The only person I ever loved or cared about was this one girl, who understood to a degree. She saw through the whole politeness act and took a stab at the real me. Then she got a bf and he pulled her away from all her old friends.

I'm over it and it's fine. But I sometimes feel like I want that bond again. For someone to talk to. But I don't want to search through a mass of people for it, nor get past that shitty "we're kinda freinds" phase.

I guess I wouldn't mind advice

tbh when it come to weapon martial arts i have to be honest
European all the way
yes kendo is good to
but europeans have seen the most wars (for real non stop war)
what is kinda bad is that we have to rediscover a lot of the tech because they where lost in history
also rapier + dagger for no armor
and shield and broadsword for armor

Why is nep so assblassted?

You're not wrong.

-phi

I might look into it. Doubt it'll go further than looking though.

-phi

European martial arts are often greatly overlooked and underapreciated. Personally I prefer Japanese styles just because it's my comfort zone, but I'd like to learn euro styles given the opportunity.

-phi

It definitely isn't for anyone, especially what I went into. Imagine going to college, then going immediately into about the same amount of time just to learn the best techniques for killing people.

-Al

It has something to do with that bunny eared fellow, I asked earlier and was left without any clear answers.

Not sure. I hope she's just shit posting and that she's alright.

-phi.

hopefully, just a bad mood and it came out on us.
I'd like them okay, but there's nothing to do other than wait for their return.

Even more overlooked are the American martial arts, however very few people even know how they worked, so its kinda a shot in the dark.

-Al

damm did you kill any isis ?
also arent mercs considared as ham meat ?
pretty much if you get shot(or leave) there is 20 more ready to take your spot

Yeah. I don't know if it would be good for me...plus I don't think my country is big on allowing mercenary groups.

-phi

Was talking to a girl for around 5 months. Winter break happens, I go home and she texts me shes been talking to her ex again. Neat

I mean...boxing is arguable an American martial art and I think it's one of the best out there.

-phi

Are you concerned?

-phi

That's a fucking tough one.

I guess your gonna have to get over people if you won't want to be lonely. Otherwise look for a NEET gf i guess.

Well, you see you have your basic merc, and then you have what is essentially spec ops for merc groups. A random merc drops and no one bats an eye, but someone with more training drops, and their whole squad needs a replacement, which takes time, money, and raw experience.

You live in Canada, right?

Oh, not those, I mean the old American martial arts. The ones used by natives.

-Al

people are fickle, bud. maybe she was just being friendly with you, maybe something happened out of nowhere and they just got back in touch.
also, maybe it's legitimately nothing. it's... hard to say without knowing more.

I don't know, boxing is just kinda bland to me...

so /soc/ might help that user?

That's right.

-phi

boxing is sport, kendo is sport ,
everything that is considered sport is a sport
i can eat boxers for breakfast with wing chun
kickboxers is abit better but still easy to beat
youtube.com/watch?v=IV3yvOkooYA
check this shit so brutal
kendo is more one hit wonder style , because they barely had any decent armor

Well that was 2 weeks ago. Surprise, shes with her ex again.

Oh man, native arts are intense. I've never seen a school or teacher for them though.

-phi

It's bland but it forms a great base to expand on.

-phi

Me and my gf have been having a rough time lately.

Routine has taken its toll on us and we've been both depressed (for different reasons) and all of this has been really tough on our relationship.

She's been kinda distant these past 2 days.
We're grabbing coffee together this thursday and talk shit out but idk, this feeling of impending doom is sadly familiar.

I guess yeah. Unless anyone's got better advice for the poor dude.

How often should someone betray their benefactors?

Hema is awesome and yeah, the two sword styles developed differently. European is more battle where as Japanese is more on motion duel.

-phi

Bah, nodding off here. Looks like that insomnia finally wore off, so I'm going to catch some shut eye.

Nice chatting with you all! Take it easy everyone, and catch y'all Wednesday!

-S

No we were actually a thing, we went out a few times etc. all that good stuff. Turns out I was just being used as a bounce back. Honestly It was just a really big waste of time

How long do you think that will last? How do you feel?

-phi

Sleep well Shadow man.

-phi

There's the one that used to be used by the Assiniboine tribe that's pretty big, but I can't remember the name.

Just try to keep an open mind and work with her, I can't really foresee the future, but I wish you luck.

At least once, maybe three times, but you'll eventually come back around to the original one.

-Al

well, that complicates it all a bit more. I'm sorry to hear that. your best bet is to either move on, or just retain the friendship you had if you want. I'm sorry. being a rebound is really painful.

good luck. it sounds like it may be too late to say this, but communicating is key throughout a relationship. communicating your feelings, your needs for comfort or for space, and especially when you're both in a rough spot.
I hope it works out for you two.

I wouldn't know any names.

-phi

I really wouldn't mind hearing others opinions or advice. Any thoughts would be appreciated

I can on /soc/, but I'm a Canadianfag, ain't too many NEET females up here, that also browse Sup Forums

Don't really care honestly, as i said I just felt like it was a huge waste of time. But that was a long time to suddenly go "Hey so im done here" out of the blue

pretty much 95% of what native americans knew is lost .todays native americans are nothing but broken shell of what they where once , i cant even graps how diverse the tribes were to
blame immigrants for it tho

A shame, anyway what are you interested in about being a merc? Ask me anything.

It saddens me to this day. If I had a chance to go back and reclaim all the knowledge that is lost, and also keep all the knowledge ever found I would do so in an instant.

-Al

Yeah...I've had that. It's bs.

-phi

It is sad...it really is...

-phi

Ehh, I've been considering military for a while now and I've just never though of being a mercenary so I was wondering about it being an alternative.

-phi

yeh kendo is like group tech of what the samurai trained
is sort of way to preserve some of the teachings in swordsmanship they had back in the days
back in the days kendo also had alot of grappling not any more tho
i can also tell you this that the european knight saw alot more warfare then the Japanese samurai
also good weapon martial arts are the Chinese , but im not sure about styles and what is preserved , also communise purge may have kill most of it
any way im off guys see ya next time

Overall, I'd say its better than being in the army. Most of the time you get better pay, better benefits, and a better contract. Also, you don't have to deal with a shitty VAs office.

-Al

Personally for unarmed muay thai and krav maga are more of the directions I'd lean favoring combat with all available appendages...

For armed combat I'd go for whatever could enhance my abilities with blades or possibly I'd try dealing with tonfa. (Though I'm not certain what I'd need to learn to maximize effectiveness with them)

The last thing I'd focus on after learning is how to "move" into & out of conflict quickly.

Honestly martial arts are somewhere on my list of things to deal with later.

So noones got advice for me.

One of the reasons why I fucking hate you people more.

Good night. Also a good portion of the Chinese martial arts were preserved. A lot of the unarmed are still doing fine. It is true that most of the ones requiring weapons were restricted, yet they were kept safe.

-Al

Krav maga and Muay Thai are both very good. But I've also taken Boxing, Savate, and many other martial arts to shore up and add to the skills you've learned in those. Armed combat is completely different. Effectiveness is hard to get with bladed weapons, because you can't easily judge how effective it is. How many hits did it take, how much energy did those hits take, how much did it expose you to other attacks, is it available to be used versus multiple opponents? etc. Honestly, the first thing you want to learn is footwork and how to move in and out of combat. In fact that was the first thing we were taught.

-Al

Night ed

-phi

In Canada if I do army I get free education...

-phi

Here's my advice. Stop being full of yourself, stop expecting other people to be selfless and just appreciate them for what they are. "I hate people" is such a cringy narcissistic sentiment, used by people who are just too lazy to put in the effort life demands.

If you want to skip past the "we're kinda friends" phase, ask her on a real, actual date within weeks of meeting her instead of trying to slowly creep your way into her heart under the guise of friendship. If you try to be deceptive, it's your own fault that you suffer for it.

Same in America. If you serve in the military they pay for your college, but you get locked in for at least 4 years or so. Is there a length you must serve in Canada? Though I suppose Canada doesn't get involved in too many wars so you'd probably be fine.

-Al

I genuinely have no idea what goes well with tonfa.

-phi

Exactly. If I joined. Armed forces I get free education (with salary and benefits) and I have to give 4 years back. But canada is never at war and when we are we don't do shit.

-phi

I don't have any advice for people who say they hate people, but still want to have a girlfriend who is a, oh wait, you guessed it, person. Therefore, you hate the exact thing you say you want to love. I have no advice for self-contradictory statements with such an amount of idiocy as that.

-Al

I mean, you made the Ram II during WWII I think, That was something.

-Al

Wishing to troll the shit out of this asshat kid on my swim team.

>Buck teeth

>Very loud, obnoxious, and constantly yells obscenities thinking they're funny

>Younger than the rest of us, must be some sort of prodigy to be as fast as us.

>And always does dumb shit and calls it trolling

Can provide additional info, as long as it doesn't become doxxing.

During WWE 1/2 Canada was a terrifying powerhouse. Now we are peace keepers. If we do take part in a conflict it's usually to distribute aid. I was thinking of maybe being a helicopter pilot or something.

-phi

Helicopter pilots are generally either really cool or a total asshole. Be one of the really cool ones.

Anyway, I'm going to go to sleep everyone, I've got work tomorrow. Goodnight.

-Al

Judo and (I want to say) "akido?" are grappling martial arts that have persisted, the focus is often making the opponent expend their own energy and exhaust themselves so they are easier to restrain without harming the opponent seriously.

/soc/, /adv/, and keep your eyes open bro. I'm sure you will find someone.

Odd choice to start with footwork, All I know of armed combat right now is "ambush technique". Wounding the brain, heart, lungs, or airways irreparably in a single stab and escaping while your opponent has less than a minute left.

From what I can gather there is a separate art built around it which incorporates rapid strikes and jabs while maintaining complete and perfect access to blocking at any time, I imagine that escrima would not hurt someone practicing to use tonfa though,

Personally tonfa are more of a control weapon to me. The means to pulverize an enemy or simply exhaust them as they strike into an effortless block. It sounds a bit fun even... If not for the fact that like with many other things in the category I'd probably have to move to find any relevant classes...

Sorry I took so long to reply.

Night al. Thanks for filling on for vert again.

-phi

Bye "Al" Thinks for making the additional thread.

ITT: Basement dwelling NEETs who think Rome is cool, shitpost advice to one another in order to feel a sense of superiority.

Prove Me Wrong
>pro tip: you fucking can't

Thanks user. Appreciate it,

No problem. For me Judo (and yes aikido was the right one) along with a lot of Japanese styles mesh nicely.
For instance I can use karate with my kendo, and Ju-jitsu is essential to it, tonfa...on don't know own what besides itself would help.

Arnis is surprisingly versatile. It wasn't just striking and blocking each other's sticks, it was painful, we used it against kicks, and even grapples with them. There was one technique I vaguely remember where we used the arnis to get the opponent into an arm bar...
Sorry for text wall.

-phi

I'll come back for one last post for this. The reason I told him to start with footwork is because you can't do shit without it. A lot of actually succeeding in hitting people and not getting hit by them is involved with your footwork. The better you move yourself and know how to position yourself, the more options you have. The more options give you many things you can do in a fight, retreat, strike in places they won't expect, etc. It's a huge part of close quarters combat. Also, when I was training to become a mercenary, the first thing we focused on was movement as a whole, how to march, how to go through forests, how to move through a building, etc.

No problem, I'll do these when Vert isn't around to fill in.

Final post

-Al

Anyone speak a second language that you learned as a teenager or adult. How long did it take you to become fluent?

Aikido, yes that's it! I knew I had the sound right even though my spelling was a little off.

I like how the different arts can be combined, in my case I'd try to end conflicts quickly.

I learned spanish in high-school, I never really speak it myself but I understand people who use it around me.

If you learn a language, make it one you have an interest in. I was simply forced to learn one by my school district.

In Japanese styles you have a frame you stay within. So if I'm punching, kicking, swinging a sword, anything really; my body is in frame. So it chains nicely. Somebody does a sword strike to legs? Block/front kick.

Or jump, back kick, collarbone cut. It's gorgeous.

-phi

That makes enough sense.
It sounds like you deal with martial arts a lot.

Just a little bit. Though I'm starting to teach soon and I'm all about kungfu flicks.

-phi

I'll just sweep up the shrine before we close for tonight...

Is anybody else still here?

-phi

I stay until 404

Alright. I'll stay with you, though I'll mostly lurk while I sweep up.

-phi

That's fine with me.
It was nice talking to you and "Al" tonight.