Any mathfags here?

Any mathfags here?

So last night I rolled the two dice three times. I successfully predicted the number all three times.

Pic unrelated but from a recent photoshoot I did

What is the statistical probability of this happening?

I may be clairvoyant but I'm shit at maths.

Other urls found in this thread:

stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

^^ Also it turns out I can't string sentences together correctly

Bump4mathfags

Better question for /sci/

google permutations and combinations yeh dem kunt

Yeah I just posted there too.

Haven't been on Sup Forums in forever. There used to be some smart cookies here. Not sure about anymore

6 sided die?

What's the language rule that says to say maths and mathfags? Why isn't it mathsfags? Genuinely curious. Here, we just say math in both cases.

Six sided yeah

It depends on the number you picked. Look up odds for craps. 7 is the most likely number to hit. 12 and 2 are the least likely.

Yeah well that's the context it came up in. We were playing catan which I was saying was basically cashless craps.

Saying how the probability me rolling 7 is high, I then rolled a 7. Then next best bet is say 6 which is almost as likely to come up. I rolled the die and 6 came up. Then I was like, next most likely is 5, I rolled the fir and 5 came up.

I was amazed by my own awesomeness. I just wanted the math to back up my claim to awesome.

6 ways to roll a 7
5 ways to roll a 6 or 8
4 ways to roll 5 or 9
3 ways to roll a 4 or 10
2 ways to roll a 3 or 11
1 way to roll a 2 or 12

You're are a fucking fool.

Well you're looking for a statistician not a "maths guy" ...

based on those numbers, your odds were 15/43. Not really that impressive

Gtfo

you essentially had a 34 percent chance of guessing that correctly.

stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

This is a hypergeometric calculator. Good times.

36 different possible number combinations for each role with 2 6-sided dice. The probably of rolling a 7, then 6, then 5 is (6/36), (5/36), (4/36). Each successive guess is multiplied to find the probability of calling all 3 numbers correctly, therefore you the likelihood is 0.00257 to 1

Well that seems sufficiently unimpressive

wait my math was wrong.

15/63

essentially 1 in 4 chance

That sounds a lot more impressive!

So does that translate to like 1 in 50 000 chance?

No there arent. You can only roll 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12.

There are only 11 possible number combinations.

I think your math is very very wrong

first roll 6/21 chance of guessing correctly
second roll 5/21 chance of guessing correctly
third roll 4 in 21 chance of guessing correctly

But the chances of guessing all three correctly in succession?

He asked the statistical probability, not the odds of each number. They're different.

I'm a math major. What you're asking for is called the theoretical probability of dependent events. Each correct call requires the prior call to be correct. Additionally, as it's probability and not just the summation of odds, the answer is 0.257% chance of guessing the three correctly in sequential order.

It's 0.00257 to 1 so it's a 1 in 389 chance

Thanks user. Good to see there are still smart cookies wandering the hallowed halls of Sup Forums

And while telling my friends they witnessed a 1 in 400 event last night doesn't sound very impressive, it's better than 1 in 4