Most Overated Bowie album?

What's Bowie's most overrated album?

I'd have to say Diamond Dogs (pic somewhat related)

The obvious answer is Ziggy

no, that's the best of his glam era
yeah, it's nothing special

gonna go with this, it's good but not that great compared to Low or my favorite Scary Monsters

Hunky fucking Dory, hands down

It can't be Diamond Dogs since it's always being overlooked by Ziggy and Aladdin Sane (that one mainly because of the cover everyone obsesses over)

Diamond Dogs really only has one song the mainstream care about, and that's Rebel Rebel. I dunno, maybe I'm biased since I love that album and have never really discussed it with any Bowie "fans". All they wanna talk about is Ziggy.

How so? The only song from Hunky Dory that casuals care about is Changes.

Life on Mars is also kinda known.

Either Ziggy or Let's Dance.

I'll kick your ass

Outside of Modern Love, I never got the appeal of that album. China Girl annoys me for some fucking reason.

It's Ziggy. I'll always love it, but half those songs are pretty plain when you stop and examine them.

it might have his biggest singles but i dont think very many people care for Let's Dance.

The song Let's Dance always seemed like background coke music.

It's not one of my favorite Bowie albums but I love Ricochet and Criminal World.

Let's Dance is just really hit-and-miss, the A-side is legendary in his catalog while the B-side is essentially forgotten the discarded

His greatest hits might as well be considered his "most overrated album"

im sorry but low is very overrated and it's dated to all fuck

This is the best answer.

Good album but it's overblown how 'good' the album is.

>His greatest hits might as well be considered his "most overrated album"

Probably, since outside of Ziggy casual listeners enjoy his more popular singles rather than entire albums. But if we're talking about enthusiasts I think is right.

ah, about as outdaded as Another Green World

>Low and Scary Monsters
Are you me?

it's you check for carbon monoxide myself

Young Americans

Honestly, this is the closest answer to me. I love it, it's 10/10, but I think it's overblown if we don't go for the obvious Ziggy. I think Low and Lodger get way overlooked compared to it, and it's a fucking shame because they're both just as good or arguably better.

Dunno how you got that. It's often looked down on, but I love it.

I came to the conclusion last night, Young Americans absolutely, positively, 1000% should have been a double album. It had the supporting content to do it, and half of the shit left off the album is better than a good chunk on.

Honestly, I don't get what the big fuss about "Heroes" as an album is. The title track is honestly one of Bowie's best, and if you're looking for a bridge between Low and Lodger, that song says absolutely everything you need to know. The other vocal tracks are forgettable, the instrumentals are just a lesser retread of what he did with Low's second side, and while it almost ends in a nice place Neuköln, the Secret Life of Arabia just ruins the whole mood.

How it's considered one of his best, I don't understand.

Well I don't know about the general public, but I personally underrated Aladdin Sane for a long time. I was well into all his other 70's albums but i slept on this one for ages, I guess I kind of thought it was just surface-level glam stuff. I've recently rediscovered it and it's way way better than I gave it credit for. Lady Grinning Soul and the title track especially.

Oh wait you said overrated? Fuck. uh, I guess you could say Scary Monsters, because about 50% of it is dull as fuck, while the other 50% could be considered Bowie's career best, but it's praised as a whole regardless.

ALADDIN SANE IS SOOOO GOOD
I agree and it is strange, how it seems like shallow poppy glam rock at first even though that couldn't be further from the truth. It's just such a colorful album, every song has its own personality and is completely different. And ALL of the lyrics are FANTASTIC. And even the crazy piano wankery on Aladdin Sane actually manages to sound great. It's such a weird, wild, beautiful album. I never really hear it cited as his best, but I think it might be.
But OP was asking for most overrated not most underrated. Which is a question I'm finding it really difficult to answer.

nice, glad i'm not the only one cumming over Aladdin Sane right now. Mike Garson is GOAT. Also I feel like it almost works better as a concept album than Ziggy did. The album evokes a really strong image of a kind of corrupted Ziggy wondering around a dystopian America to me

Aladdin Sane > Ziggy Stardust

The album perfected the glam era of Bowie's songwriting. It all sounds great together on the live albums anyway.