/daily/ - "old vs. new" edition

Why are we going so fast again?

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time. This community is so inclusive that even communists and fascists coexist!

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>templates/listenalong schedules
dailymu-sic.weebly.com/

>discord
discord.gg/8exuEmG

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2KZoHipZOiw
youtube.com/watch?v=Vw3njtQaf6s&t=837s
whosampled.com/six-degrees/
youtube.com/watch?v=KJSK1wXmn4g
whosampled.com/six-degrees/search/?artist1=Xiu Xiu&artist2=Merzbow
ironmusic.bandcamp.com/album/om-is-where-the-art-is
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Medium rare chicken strips

>mea alley
holy fuck

>mea
FUCK

I wish people used the discord more often, I have discord open like 24/7

anyway, what should I check out next?

@shamepai:
i am down to be a judge for the tourney

kreng!!!

Ben frost

i dont even know who's who on the discord

ravedeath

I'm choof

>When you wanted to release a really shitty album of horrible solo guitar improv, but the album art you make for it is too good to put with something so terrible

Heck, now I have to actually produce something worth while.

Darn it. :\

who

You know, choof!

Wait how do I use my last.fm to fill in that chart?

tapmusic.net (?)

alright that is really cool art

me

music for church cleaners is pretty solid!

im in the discord but i haven't said anything yet desu

Thanks (Brandon?)

you could just make it a monotone drone solo guitar improv wank, then it'd fit thematically at least haha

not if I steal that album art and put it with my shitty onkyo album I made in like 20 minutes first

who?

I am open to suggestions on some new music to listen to.

this
if you send me some loops I can toy around with them

>not if I steal that album art and put it with my shitty onkyo album I made in like 20 minutes first
but that's the small version.

I have the HD version, which is too big to post here.

I used the 13000 pixel wide version of "The Night Watch" as a base.

So ha.

what kinda music you like, bub

but I can still steal it anyways.

so ha.

>having last.fm
>making charts
>posting on /daily/
get bullied

Some of the stuff I have been listening to throughout the last month are in that chart. A lot of what usually ends up being listened to is mostly just stuff I work out to so it skews a lot.. That being said, would love more workout music, stuff like more aggressive hip hop (no Death Grips) and high energy music like Discharge.

h e c k

pig sleep

i know I'm writing shorter reviews, but I got a midterm in 4 days ok

Causa Sui - Summer Sessions Vol 3
>Psych rock, Stoner rock, BAND JAM THANK YOU MA'AM GET ON THE FLOOR AND

A jam session album by some dudes in Denmark. Nothing innovative, but some decent(if lo-fi) recordings.

First a mesmerizing gaze into a desert with electric guitar and saxophone, Eugenie expands into heavier rock while the sax is allowed some freedom. Red Valley focuses drops the sax and keeps the song structure-- not nearly as ear-grabbing as the first track. Manifestations of Summer is much more active (the very specific usage of the cowbell contributed to most of this rating).

Decently enjoyable for a jam session and re-listenable, but not my greatest interest.

7/10
Tomita - Snowflakes are Dancing
>Progressive Electronic

A romantic-era composition released in 1974, produced on one Moog synthesizer, arrangements of Claude Debussy's work.

What can I say. It's silky smooth synth interpretations of already gorgeous piano works. I also learned a term for one of my favorite concepts in music composition: word Painting (or tone painting), writing music that reflects the literal meaning of a song.

What was originally waterfall pianos or orchestral currents, is now

Of course it can feel a bit corny at times, but it doesn't destroy the spaciness of the atmosphere. And I'm not talking Grouper AIA space, but the pioneer kind of space you'd expect from Disney.

8/10

>aggressive hip hop
Stitches
>high energy music
Hot Hot Heat

I didn't think it was possible for Sup Forums to get more autistic over time but yet here I am.

nice taste, pinkerton, ODB, and TVU are favorites of mine.

based on those, check out
Chris Bell - I Am the Cosmos
Big Star - #1 Record
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
The Byrds - Fifth Dimension
The Cars - s/t
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
The dB's - Stands for Decibels
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Morrissey - Viva Hate
The Quick - Mondo Deco
Jeff Rosenstock - Worry
Sparks - Kimono My House
Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque

>high energy music
my definition of high energy and your definition are probably vastly different

youtube.com/watch?v=2KZoHipZOiw

This was a difficult choice. But not really lol
Islaja - Ulual YYY
>Free Folk, Psychedelic Folk

Stays mostly grounded with its sound but varied with (mainly jazz) instrumentation, making for a fairly accessible and consistent album. Vocals remind me of Bjork but quieter and less out there. Actually fairly comfy.

7/10
Melt Yourself Down - Melt Yourself Down
>Afrobeat w/punk and a dash o noise

Compressed, screaming saxophones, and compressed, screaming men. Plus, a mix of noisy electronics and punk? Phew. This album is a fireball of energy, and a standout genre-wise

But there's no breaks to it until the 6th track, and you're already drained by all the fuzziness at that point. Of course, the album is meant to be a full rush, but the melodies did feel a tad too repetitive side by side with each track.

Oh, and the closer was pretty sick. With the opener and We Are Enough, they were my favorite tracks.

6.5/10, will keep this album to revisit.

Mudvayne, mayne

nah thats just me but tbf you do all of those things too...

Thanks guys, gonna take me some time to check them all out but really appreciate the recs.

Yeah haha, maybe check this out and you might enjoy it?

youtube.com/watch?v=Vw3njtQaf6s&t=837s

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

WAKE THE FUCK UP

heck

na dude ur school will all be autists..... ofc there will be normies

seriously though just be friends with whoever, embrace the normies
>from their urban outfitters
lmao
normie friends are nice

unless they're "bro u see that game last night" normie
honestly not to shit on your aspirations or anything but unless you plan on making music professionally i'd just stick to keeping it as a hobby instead of paying to take classes for it
the last movie theater I went to was playing My Girls in the lobby, shit made me so happy
yeah i'm expecting that entirely, except
>playback
what is that
kek

large joke on the forum
sleep for the smol pig.
i would but i don't really feel like making another discord account
hoo boy

CAPTCHA WON'T LOAD REEE

I haven't gotten into punk too much, I don't really have a reason to? I'll actually check this out on the drive to work on monday, I think it'll be a better setting than me sitting at my computer feeling bad about myself 8(

what is the album that trans picked

that's a world's end girlfriend album
Hampus loves it

get beaned

This makes me uncomfortable

it's going to be panned thats what

...did u just bean that frickin moron?

I'm like a third of the way in and this is p. spoopy

that's my favorite thing about it, it's one of the most genuinely unsettling albums I've ever heard.

ok thats enough late night funposting

good night /daily/

ok, idk yr electronic taste super well so imma play it safe.

put me down for e2e4 by manuel gottsching

I've already listened to that pile of trash

u got lucky

(ok not really trash but a product of it's time)
(my thoughts on that album are in some random .txt file elsewhere)
(please recc something else)

ehhh fuck it. have you heard live at ministry of sound by frankie knuckles? if not then just put me down for that

Looks interesting, I'll take it.

blapp
blept
blonk

sweet, hope u like it. it's a wonderful ride.

jimmy jazz

jeremiah jam

>listening to 2006 - the album while studying

do you hate me kanzler

>hotel books - i'm almost happy here, but i never feel at home
yeah if you throw enough shit at the wall some of it will stick -the album. the vocal delivery, overwrought lyrics and mostly bland 'emo drone' music is boring and sappy except for the brief few occasions where it all comes together in the perfect storm of emotional emo, and the lyrics feel like they mean something and the music seems like a fitting backing. sure there's promise and potential but fuck at what cost?
2/5

>fire! orchestra - ritual
v v hectic, noisy, tribal-esque. the drums and vocals are a highlight and the slower pieces seem to shake the foundations of the studio. in places it does however become sluggish and the orchestra doesn't feel like it's at its most creative - almost like it could slam out albums like this in their sleep.but i've never met a fire! i didn't like
3.5/5

>the clancy brothers and tommy makem - hearty and hellish!
great live document of their singalong irish standards and transcendental between tracks banter - just a whale of a time and you feel like a part of a crowd which is what all great live albums do. probably one of the strongest cohesive efforts from the group as well
4/5

time to get blotto

I'm so confused rn

>Someone actually liked my rec

Oh boy. Isn't that version of Clair de lune so great?

I'll send another rec soon

>funposting

More like dumbposting amiright?

I love this picture so much, so wholesome

A couple times a month I'll leave /daily/ and actually browse other threads on Sup Forums. Recently, I found one that was pretty interesting: Artists' "Bacon Number" or "Degrees of Separation". You think of two artists, then try to link the two together by artists they've either collaborated with or been in the same band with. It's pretty interesting when you have RYM as a tool. It's pretty surprising when you find out who

For example, would it be possible to link Merzbow and The Offspring? Actually, it's pretty easy.

Merzbow collaborated with Jamie Stewart on MERZXIU, and Jamie Stewart collaborated with Oxbow's Eugene Robinson on Sal Mineo. Eugene Robinson did the backing vocals on The Dead Kennedy's Frankenchrist, and the Dead Kennedy's member Jello Biafra did the backing vocals on The Offspring's Ixnay on the Hombre.

So in order
Merzbow -> Jamie Stewart -> Eugene Robinson -> Dead Kennedy's -> Jello Biafra -> The Offspring
Not actually that many steps only 5 degrees of separation.

Naturally, I tried applying this to Fishmans. How can we relate Shinji Sato to other artists using the fewest degrees of separation?

Well, Fishman's drummer, Kin-Ichi Montegi played percussion for Buffalo Daughter's album New Rock. A couple of the members in Buffalo Daughter were in the Doopees, and Yann Tomita from the Doopees, who arranged/produced Boredoms' Super Roots 8. From there, using Yamatsuka Eye, the possibilities are endless. We can use him to connect us to John Zorn through Naked City to Electric Masada, Mike Patton, and the plethora of jazz musicians he's collaborated with.

Alternatively, we could've used EYE to draw a connection to Otomo Yoshihide, who collaborated on an "untitled" EP in 1996. From him, we can draw a line to Keith Rowe from their collaboration on "Thumb" to Keiji Haino, Jim O'Rourke, to Sonic Youth, to Thurston Moore, to Beck, etc etc etc.

Kinda pointless, but it's something I thought I'd talk about real quick, because I think it's kind of fun.

oopsa daisy!!!

One I like is
Fishmans -> Kin-Ichi -> Buffalo Daughter -> Doopees -> Yann Tomita -> Boredoms-> EYE -> Zorn -> Mike Patton -> Deltron 3030 -> Del the Funkee Homosapian -> Ice Cube -> Dr. Dre -> Snoop Dog

weed powers combine. Happy 4/20 /daily/!

LMFAO
haha what

ADVANCED autism I'm tell you

>Isn't that version of Clair de lune so great?
Y e s you've discovered my weakness for soft progressive bleeps

oh there's a website for this btw

RREEEEEEEEEEE

cool. Can't wait to use this super useless website that doesn't recognize an artist that wasn't in the American top 40. Doesn't make any more sense to use one of the largest music databases in the world that's actually functional.

I made a lot of spelling/grammar errors but I'm a bit drunk please forgive me

just read it normie

thanks

fish.

lol I love this one #toke

In 1983, The Edge of U2 collaborated with Jah Wobble of Public Image Ltd, Jaki Liebezeit and Holger Czukay of Can, New York disco producer François Kevorkian, and composer Arthur Russell on the "Snake Charmer" LP. The title track would become a regular staple of influential New York City nightclub, the Paradise Garage.

The album was engineered by legendary dub reggae studio engineer Paul "Groucho" Smykle and future The Smiths and Blur producer Stephen Street. It also featured additional musical contributions from jazz vocalist Marcella Allen, frequent Jah Wobble collaborators Animal, Ben Mandelson, Ollie Marland and Neville Murray, as well as original Public Image Ltd drummer, Jim Walker

Truly based.

youtube.com/watch?v=KJSK1wXmn4g

didn't realize Merzbow was top 40

Only for samples and direct covers though. Other associations aren't accounted for.

John Fahey -> Jim O'Rourke (production on Womblife) -> Sonic Youth (member) -> Chuck D (vocals on "Kool Thing") -> A$AP Ferg (featured on Always Strive and Prosper) -> Young Thug (collaborated together on "Old English")

well shit

and i could've skipped a step if i linked fahey and sonic youth thru the cover art on the eternal

okay I made something out of the improv stuff, and released it

don't know if it is better or worse than before.

It is, at least, more interesting than it would have been.

hello hi.

Merzbow is extremely popular, and you know what I mean. The database is extremely limited and the code for finding related artists is flawed.

Take this for example:
whosampled.com/six-degrees/search/?artist1=Xiu Xiu&artist2=Merzbow

This could've been done with ONE degree of separation, but for some reason it chooses three.

A neat idea if you want to test two very popular artists but otherwise useless if you just take the time to do it manually.

also this good trak. This is the kinda shit I'm talking about that's awesome for degrees of separation.

>it's possible to link Fahey and Fishmans due to Jim O'Rourke connection
shit on a dick. Nice find.

you can probably link the whole entire "alternative" sphere of music together through o'rourke alone

Poll:

Should I start posting in /daily/ again after a 2-year break? Is my music taste bad enough for y'all to pan me and for me to actually need recommendations?

link it you cranberry

convince me to listen to any one of those albums

new york tendaberry nice

Take a pick and I'll try to convince you.

>link it you cranberry
is in the post I linked to ya dingus

Absolutely. It's nuts.

O'Rourke, EYE, Zorn, Thurston Moore, are all major *key emoji*

I'd like to see what crazy connections people can draw from this. It's making me realize what an amazing tool RYM is and how vast the database is. It's mindblowing.

>Pale Cocoon
get tf in here nerd

fucking pale cocoon

>get tf in here nerd

But fine

[spoiler]I'm actually probably going to sneak-replace it with something better in a bit[/spoiler]

ironmusic.bandcamp.com/album/om-is-where-the-art-is

>vegas fountain and wiese in your top 4
yes please come back

frick youre right
but is the new album art meme arabic letters or something

Damien Dubrovnik in top 4, Keith Row & Toshimaru Nakamura - Between

Only thing I listened to on here is Hanz - Reducer and it was ok

>modern classical

:^ )

I was considering putting Musique Concrete as a tag too, you know, because I'm a good musician & shit.

>I'd like to see what crazy connections people can draw from this
alright i'm going to take a break from this paper i'm writing at 2 am to try and link Blind Willie Johnson and Xxxtentacion. and i'm going to be expanding my horizons to anything listed on the "credits" box in rym, so liner notes/art/production is fair game.

Janet Boye did art direction on 1998's Dark Was the Night compilation. Back in 1991, she did the cover art to Del the Funky Homosapien's I Wish My Brother George Was Here. Del the Funky Homosapien collabed with Gorillaz on "Clint Eastwood" in 2001. In 2003, Gorillaz collaborated with MF DOOM on "November Has Come". In 2014, MF DOOM was featured on Ghostface Killah & BADBADNOTGOOD's "Ray Gun". Just this year, Denzel Curry and BADBADNOTGOOD put out the "Ultimate / Sick & Tired" single. And in 2016, Xxxtentacion and Denzel Curry collabed on the "Raider Clan Killa" single.

IT WAS A STRETCH BUT THE CONNECTION EXISTS

oooooh this looks like a tasty treat ok ok ok

ok this is long drone track
That's fine
but did you loop a section or something

>but did you loop a section or something
no it's not a loop.

>Damien Dubrovnik in top 4
Sounds like a bath rug being dragged against your ear at one point during the album (guess which part)

>Keith Row & Toshimaru Nakamura - Between
Remember that one time when grandma came over uninvited and stayed for dinner, but mom had only cooked for 4 so you had to only have portion? Yeah, it's nothing like that

Was that enticing enough?

Am I now a professional music journalist?