/swg/ Screenwriting General

What are you working on?

How far along are you?

Writer's block? How do you come up with ideas?

How's my formatting? I'm using a Word Template from a guide I found on the internet.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/WrMbp44V
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pirate Final Draft an Oscar nominated/winning screenwriter told me to just pirate it and that many professionals use a pirated version

I had a free trial of Final Draft and it made my computer keep freezing.

Heres the end of my short film.
rate

Looks ok. One thing I'd change is some of the stuff at the end.

"Did she really get away with it? Did it really work?"

You're just supposed to right things that the audience sees and hears, not people's thoughts or stuff like that.

>actually replying seriously to bait
its the ending of Refns new movie

Oh, I haven't seen it.

Based on the screencap, did I do a decent job of creating subtext? Like can you tell what's going on without me beating you over the head with it?

>He's either fucking her or wants to fuck her, which is why they can't overtly show affection but why she can sneak these people into the building/nightclub whatever it is?
Am I close?

Kinda. She's fucking a guy that works for the DMV and gets him to make fake IDs for her friends.

That's not really subtext. That's like what the scene is obviously about apart from Phil and Jessica's relationship.

>Because of it being such a small snippet I assumed they were OUTSIDE a building not inside, not an issue though: obviously your slug-line would give context like that.

Oh, some real nitpicking here, I don't like >"sends a glance to Clay"

try "glances worriedly" or "glances with a sly smile".
"Sends" is a word that offers no additional information about the gesture.
Also we don't know what Clay's feeling, like Charlie is glancing... like obviously it's got to do with that "complimentary" line, but does he get any feedback from Clay. Does Clay not pick up on this? Is this significant later on?

>Fuck. I forgot how much I love directing/breaking down scripts

Mistyped my last post. Them being at the DMV is what the scene is, the thing I'm trying to provide subtext on is that Jessica sleeps with Phil to get these fake IDs.

Charlie's glance at Clay is because the situation references a conversation that had earlier that day. I guess I could word it better. Thanks for your input.

Wrote this short gag screenplay as practice.

Recently found a way to make myself 500% more productive; which, ironically, had nothing to do with 'willpower' or 'passion' -- I recommend reading "Getting Things Done" by Dave Allen if you want to learn to be productive the easy way.

This is based off the idea of Weird Science: What would really happen?

Excuse the typos.

I'll check out that book then. Thanks user.

Alright guys, I'm considering writing one of these script ideas. Which one should it be?

>A psychological Thriller set in WW1
>A gritty crime story about an undercover cop and a mysterious vigilante
>A medieval epic about warring lords, somewhat similar to GoT

ITT: unemployed morons write shitty scripts

First one sounds like it could be interested. WW1 is pretty underused as far as stories go.

Second sounds kinda generic, I'd have to hear more specifics to really grasp it.

Third, I'm indifferent on. I'm not really that into fantasy other than GoT

>"her bare breasts are expanded from B-cups to DD's"

Everyone. Always remember.
PRESENT TENSE.
Films happen in real time.

More importantly it just flows better if you write:
>her bare breasts inflate from B-cups to DD's

I saw a few of that guy's lectures. I got stuck on like the "organize" step.
I've never been able to prioritize. Hierarchical thinking is a weak point for me.

I do like his "if you can complete it in the next 2 minutes, do it NOW" thing. That's really good advice for a procrastinator like me.

The franchises thread is making me realize that I should probably write a book and wait for it to get buzz if I ever want my ideas to become movies.

>

I'm just gonna start out with something I can write and realistically shoot and direct and see what happens from there.

Here's something I've been working on for a while. Hope you guys like it

pastebin.com/WrMbp44V

10/10

If there's a phone conversation, do you need to use a parenthetical? Like (from phone) or something like that?

yeah, writing one on the first line is enough.