/classical/

Carnegie Hall edition

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08mdbjz#play

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Last:

Other urls found in this thread:

chandos.net/chanimages/Booklets/CH3038.pdf
soundcloud.com/psllbof
youtube.com/watch?v=PeRak0TZxG0
youtube.com/watch?v=NBFxF36MxKU
youtube.com/watch?v=4fbVpss8ftE
youtube.com/watch?v=Oj9-2RgM6p4
neilhowlett.com/articles/what-is-a-heldentenor/
youtube.com/watch?v=gD5oTMHQ8Lo&list=PLBAcVSRm_BHPYwe5ShgOqLLAMKCHySLrT&index=13
youtube.com/watch?v=fQdudICa-88&list=PLZj4RadToGJgPak30wUlXO7ESHWRljl7X
youtube.com/watch?v=lCCJc_V8_MQ
youtube.com/watch?v=SrZYP8SzlN8
youtube.com/watch?v=5Yc5j60LSNo
talkclassical.com/37896-siena-pianoforte.html
mega.nz/#!vY1xSCQS!0FjXFU2s6aX2vCDSSX7aSy9TW4lZMhM-1PMFJwt0CX8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Petzold

Petzold

i'm really depressed because no one on any board or website is talking about anything interesting or profound. I feel like the only person who wants to discuss music of more obscure or deeper varieties.

Reminder that if you haven't completed a music degree, you're only pretending to like classical music.

lol fag

People who actually understand music don't have time to waste their brains listening to inferior "music" like jazz (if you can even really call it music when classical exists). It quite simply isn't worth the time. You don't see people going around "appreciating" inferior things like dial-up internet when broadband exists. No one but an idiot would. Face it, until you have grown up you're quite simply a hobby music fan, listening to the pathetic squawking of tasteless amateurs.

Speaking of Carnegie Hall I just went there today to see a performance of Mozart's 33rd and 36th Symphonies along with his Piano Concerto 20

Show me your degree, Plácido. Nah, you probably have a STEM degree in which case you need to go back to listening to Kendrick Lamar.

t. future barista

Such as?

Not everyone is privileged enough for that

you're not impressing anyone

You went to Mozart alone? AHAHAHA*breathes in*HAHA

>can't into well made popular music
broaden your horizons or prepare for people to write you off as closed minded.
I bet you can't into traditional music either?

This general is truly the last bastion for fine arts discourse on the internet

I'm envy him for that desu

far far faaar from it

Name some others then. Seriously...

Sup Forums is truly red-pilled though.

Name secular choral music please?

>not turning up at university to study an employable degree but getting more and more involved in classical music and realising that that is what you're actually interested in but realising you're actually a brainlet when it comes to classical music so through a combination of voraciously consuming all classical media you can get your hands on and shitposting on /classical/ you gradually build up your knowledge to the point that you know more about it than 90% of actual music students at your uni and are often told by members of the music department that you should do a postgraduate in music despite your degree course being in something else entirely.
Take the /classical/pill

Most Renaissance composers wrote secular choral pieces alongside their sacred ones. Anything called a chanson/madrigal is usually secular.

Is it okay to learn violin after the age of 20?
>tfw back then when was young a poor family
>tfw always impressed with classic disney cartoon

...yeah... it was kinda weird being the only guy there under the age of 50 too

Do you have any recommendation of such secular choral?
I need /classic/ redpill now because I realised that the music nowadays are shitty.

Post your own compositions

Recommend me some similar Mass settings—besides Missa Hercules dux Ferrariae by Josquin des Prez.

I was talking to someone music students at my college and they somehow didn't know who Bruckner was.

I didn't even know that was possible. They're graduating this year btw.

Most of them are filthy normies who barrel through the repertoire (either playing or studying) and then go right back to their shitty pop and rap, that's the music they want to make and play and that's why they're there.

>Name secular choral music please?
*tips fedora*

Do you have any suggestion then?
*still waiting for secular choral music collection*

Still waiting on

Most of Brahms' choral works are secular and very beautiful, some of his best underrated works, even his requiem is a lot less religious than most. Schubert has a lot of secular choral but it generally isn't as interesting.

Tippet - A Child of Our Time
Holst - Choral Symphony, Fantasy, Cloud Messenger
Kurtag, Krenek, Schoenberg, Poulenc all have some good choral stuff.

Janacek's Glagolitic Mass

Which translation of Wagner's Ring is the best? The one pubicly available online seems overly literal and kind of reads poorly.

>Holst
holst is butt lol

Stuart Spencer or Andrew Porter.

I see. Where can I get these?

They're on Amazon, but I'm guessing you're asking where you can download them.

I dunno if Spencer's work has been uploaded yet, I certainly haven't seen it. As for Porter's, you can look for Goodall's Ring and get the scans for that.

Porter's work is a very liberal translation (but faithful) meant to be sung, and Goodall used it in his version.

You can get the booklets of the Goodall ring, which uses the Porter translation, on the chandos site.

chandos.net/chanimages/Booklets/CH3038.pdf

Thanks

places where actual composers and performers discuss music.
You guys don't belong there so I'm not linking anything

soundcloud.com/psllbof

Hindemith

youtube.com/watch?v=PeRak0TZxG0

It's the same everywhere, no one really talks about literature or philosophy on lit either.

Me too. I'm like the only one on the site who enjoys Viennese operetta and Weimar songspiel.

youtube.com/watch?v=NBFxF36MxKU

bump

Petzold

are there any composers that worked with country or bluegrass?

Copland
youtube.com/watch?v=4fbVpss8ftE

I've been getting into Scriabin recently, probably some of the best music I've ever heard but I can't understand why I like it so much (I'm a brainlet when it comes to music theory), anyone wanna give me a quick rundown?

Transcendental pleasure highs senpai

Scriabin is my nigga senpai

honest to God I cried when I listened to Prometheus, don't know how he does it

Opium, Cocaine, Theosophy and underage pussy

Is there a good studio Ring recording without fucking Windgassen as Siegfried?

Why haven't these threads reached bump limit this last week? And what's the best new piece you listened to this week?

Nigger, what? How in the world do you not know Paul van Kempen.

Franck's Seven Last Words from the Cross

moar liek dis

youtube.com/watch?v=Oj9-2RgM6p4

Anything by Polyphony & Stephen Layton or Accentus & Laurence Equilbey

Janowski's first cycle is probably the most 'consistent' Ring recorded, period. It's actually kind of a miracle. René Kollo plays Siegfried on that, and unlike Windgassen, who was merely a surrogate heldentenor, Kollo is a real one. And quite a youthful one, at that. Some people deem him too light for the role, but it's actually refreshing to hear a youth in a title which is supposed to be young. He's probably my favorite post-golden era Heldentenor overall, honestly. Might not be as good as some of the greats, but I would take a million of him over some of the awful singers they had at Bayreuth last year.

There's also Karajan's recording, I suppose. But I never liked his Siegfrieds too much. Mostly because even though their voices are fine, the acting falls flat.

Try Mealor

>surrogate heldentenor
what do you mean by this

thnaks for teh suggstiosn

I think he's saying that Windgasse was winging it.

Windgassen barely fulfilled the role of heldentenor, in my opinion.

The problem with Windgassen's voice was that, past the early 50s, he was very much lacking in his ability to sing high. Listen to his recording from the 60s onwards, and what you have is an incredibly leathery voice, with enough heroism, but lacking in the tenor qualities which are necessary for the role. However, at that time Windgassen was one of the best options available, and thanks to his success at Bayreuth he became more-or-less the main "pick" for that kind of role until the late 60s/early 70s.

This is a good article regarding heldentenors:

neilhowlett.com/articles/what-is-a-heldentenor/

Thanks for the recomendation, will check it out.
Windgassen just sounded too 'weak' for me. My favorite Siegfried is Suthaus.

Yes, Suthaus is very good. He always reminded me a bit of Lorenz in some ways, not as much ham, but the same kind of careful attention to rhythmic speech patterns as well as diction. Both were as clear as a bell.

>You guys don't belong there so I'm not linking anything
Cop out.

>It's the same everywhere, no one really talks about literature or philosophy on lit either.

Surely there must be a place out there...

Petzold

Post Sibelius

youtube.com/watch?v=gD5oTMHQ8Lo&list=PLBAcVSRm_BHPYwe5ShgOqLLAMKCHySLrT&index=13

None, Wagner is shit. Listen to Mahler instead, Mahler is everything Wagner wishes he could be.

Wrong

I don't think Mahler would appreciate you saying such things about his favorite composer.

"I can hardly describe my present state to you. When I came out of the Festspielhaus, completely spellbound, I understood that the greatest and most painful revelation had just been made to me, and that I would carry it unspoiled for the rest of my life."

- Mahler after seeing the Parsifal premiere

Right.

Beethoven also thought Cherubini was the best composer of his age, but Cherubini's shit.

Always really hated Karajan's Sibelius, just seems so artificial. Never knew he worked with Gould.

Mahler is grandiloquent is way that he has no justification to be, unlike Wagner who at least had some backing for his style.

Yes, but Cherubini had little influence in the music of Beethoven.

Without Wagner, you simply do not have Mahler. He admitted as much himself.

in a way*

t. Adolf Schnekenberger

Nah, I love both Mahler and Wagner. They're my favorite romantics desu

?

Now that Youtube has full albums uploaded at Opus 160kb/s, it's super easy to find almost anything.

Here's what I do now:

>Follow a reviewer or seek out reviews on Amazon or somewhere for an album you're interested in

>Search Youtube for the artist, filter by Channel, select the one that says X - Topic

>Click Albums

>Bam, you've got CDs and full fucking boxsets arranged in playlists automatically

I don't even know why people bother with Spotify or radio anymore. It's especially great if you're browsing different performances.

youtube.com/watch?v=fQdudICa-88&list=PLZj4RadToGJgPak30wUlXO7ESHWRljl7X

>tfw at an orchestra concert for brahms piano concerto 2
Kill me, I won't survive the pretension

Petzold, you faggots.

Hey Guys!

I'm somewhat new to classical and I'm looking for an overlap in Brian Eno's melodic intensity and immediacy to a classical piece/style/composer. I'm thinking of a simpler, slower version of Piano Concerto 21 by Mozart (preferably with piano, but it doesn't have to be).

The songs by Eno I'm referring to are:
The Big Ship -- youtube.com/watch?v=lCCJc_V8_MQ
By This River -- youtube.com/watch?v=SrZYP8SzlN8
Spider and I -- youtube.com/watch?v=5Yc5j60LSNo

Thanks!

Plotzelold

Pretzold

Pretty cool. The legends about this thing border on the absurd, but it certainly has a very interesting sound.

>that story
>Rosen
>mozzart's Turkish March
Looks memetastic. Is it better than mere novelty though?

what did they mean by this

It's actually a really cool recording and since it's Rosen of couse it's well played.

If I had to describe the sound... imagine a fortepiano mixed with a harp.

I'll upload it if anyone wants

Do it,

Do you really need to ask?

talkclassical.com/37896-siena-pianoforte.html
Christ the story of this thing is even more ridiculous than that cover would lead you to believe.

Oy Vey! I wonder who stole it and brought it to Tel Aviv?

mega.nz/#!vY1xSCQS!0FjXFU2s6aX2vCDSSX7aSy9TW4lZMhM-1PMFJwt0CX8

>the spruce soundboard was rotting away from both age and all the years of exposure and abuse it took following the war. In spite of meticulously filling in cracks and splits, the ancient wood (regardless of where it really came from) was falling apart and it would only be a matter of time.

Much appreciated..