You don't fuckin say...

buttrock for the thinking man

Undertow > Aenima > Opiate >> whatever

Edgy, pretentious buttmetal

Basically the worst combination of things imaginable

WHY DONT YOU KIDS LIKE THE TOOL

Tool is what kids who are uncomfortable with Nirvana's nihilism listen too

One of the only great (and acceptable) 'metal' bands

I always knew of their existence but never listened to them. I started listening to them last year and it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Lol tool is a acceptable metal band for you? Embarassing

daily /What does mu think of tool?/ thread

Pseudo psycadelic buttmetal

Discovered the group 1 month ago, listening to them 24 hours a day ever since.
The fan base is horendous though.

i have given them many chances over the last couple of years. i understand their appeal goes a bit beyond their music but Tool has just never reached me.

used to listen to them all of the time. they got me interested in musicality. the entire gets a pass bc of Danny Carey's drumming.
10,000 Days and Lateralus are my favorites

what the fuck are you talking about

YA MUSTA BIN HIGHHHHHH.

10,000 days is definitely good.

Tool is shit. I don't understand why so many people shit themselves over that soft rock dronefest.

the good
>got tier drummer and vocalist
>authentic and easily recognizable sound
>quality prose

the bad
>songs usually sound the same with few exceptions
>extremely slow to produce and release anything

the usual arguments against it on Sup Forums are
>it's popular
>it's a genre I don't like
and can thus be dismissed as poser bullshit

I mean if Limp Bizkit got inspired by this band it means it's great amirite!

heard people say tool is great because of the complexity of the songs, time signature changes and uncommon song structures, but to me it just looks like showing off this "complexity" without having any character or meaning behind it

i hate this board so much

>songs usually sound the same with few exceptions
That only applies to the guitars in my opinion. Adam pretty much uses his same techniques in each songs from Undertow to 10k days but you can hear a lot of diversity and evolution in the bass part and the drums. Undertow sounds nothing like Lateralus bass wise. Also, Maynard singing delivery has changed a lot over the years.

Tool is pretty good.

I like tool because their songs are so well thought. Almost every time hearing their song first time it sounds pretty bad but after few weeks or even months something just gets me its usually one riff or moment in the song and the I just find more thosen interesting parts. After many replays I get the whole song and then its just awesomenes. Its so multilevel

They're one of those bands where most people base their opinion less on the music itself and more on the fanbase, because said fanbase is fucking irritating and never shut up about how immaculate they think the band is.

Setting that aside, they're pretty good.

>being this contrarian

One of the most underrated and unfairly hated bands of the last few decades. I largely blame pitchfork for giving Lateralus a 1.9 and officially branding Tool an "uncool" band for their hatred. The other, more obvious reason is the fanbase, but that's already been talked about in this thread.

Outside of those superficial reasons to dislike the band, Tool is one of those rare bands that actually deserves to have a big following. They have one of the most distinct and recognizable sounds of any rock band, and one of the greatest rock vocalists as well. For a band that had massive radio success, they expect a lot of patience and attention out of their audience. They manage to make music that is at least somewhat intellectually stimulating while still having mass appeal. The unfortunate side effect is that this causes plebs/retards to think that they are literally gods gift to man and the greatest band to ever walk the earth.

>pitchfork for giving Lateralus a 1.9

What the fuck. I'm not that big of a fan of that album but 1.9. Get the fuck out

They're very "samey"

That being said, I find myself saying that about a lot of what might ostensibly be called metal. I won't categorically say it's metal because I'm sure some sperg is out there just itching to correct me.

i can't stand their fanbase, but not in the way you might think. i can't stand their fanbase because they are spineless insecure faggots who are so afraid to admit to liking tool without first placing themselves outside some imaginary fanbase of posturing pseudointellectuals.

>They're very "samey"
This pretty much. I appreciate the musicianship and all that, but the vast majority of their stuff runs together for me. It's very dull too.

tool isn't metal, they're an alternative rock band and always have been

their sound is closer to pearl jam than iron maiden

That review is actually probably one of the lowest points in modern music journalism

>writer predicts a monster tool album in three years
>we had to wait five for 10,000 days
>now it's been almost eleven years and no releases since
i feel old

"I've only completed my first year of undergraduate maths" the band.

The only correct ranking.

Objectively correct, HOWEVER...

It was a different time, and Tool today makes me more sad about the fact that nothing this "out there" for its time will ever be anywhere near as mainstream as Tool was in the late 90's than upset by their buttrock tendencies.

Music itself may have grown by leaps and bounds since then, but Tool is a fascinating glimpse back to a past where the average level of music being produced was of such high quality that even the stuff the normie plebs listened to on the radio was more patrician than anything anyone short of a Sup Forums-core music nerd listens to today, and we're all worse off for that.

underrated comment

actually thinking rock for an ass man

lateralus debuted at no.1 on the billboard 200 despite the obvious "single" being six minutes long, which is pretty mind-boggling now

Exactly.

The only band with a name that describes their fans.