This album is pretty underrated

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z3FG07R9SEA
rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2008
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The fact this thread has no replies proves this. Third has amazing arrangements, it's a shame no one else is doing anything like this dark metropolitan take on Krautrock thing, it's got so much potential.

When the fuck is Fourth coming out?

Another 10 year gap?

I don't think I have given an album a 10/10 since this came out

Agreed

I have it on good authority that nothing is in the works. Besides it was 13 years, so hopefully we'll get something in 2021.

it's not underrated, it was very hyped when it got released

it's just forgotten

>acclaimed comeback from acclaimed band
yeah, totally underrated, Chad. Fuck off already.

It's their best album

I can't think of another occasion when a band has come out of nowhere and released a new album after a long hiatus, completely changed their style and actually pulled it off this well

I wouldn't say it's underrated. It's great but outshined by the two previous albums, so no one really brings it up when talking about Portishead.

I agree. I think it's better than their original work. Really good stuff on third

I think people forget about it because it didn't make a huge impact on how electronic music progressed.

I'm not sure why, though... I think it's because hip hop started to become hugely different, and a lot more exciting and widely known. Maybe in the wake of the housing crisis, people just didn't want to listen to this kind of downer music.

Literally my favorite album. It's perfect from start to finish and nothing evokes the same feeling in me.

Underrated isn't interchangeable with good.

This album was and is praised across the board.

my go to Portishead album

it was clearly a huge influence on Thom Yorke/Radiohead

>it was clearly a huge influence on Thom Yorke/Radiohead
I don't really see that besides Ful Stop and maybe a couple of songs off TKOL.

I know what you mean. It feels oddly cinematic

>it didn't make a huge impact on how electronic music progressed.
>I'm not sure why, though
Because it's mostly not electronic and heavily referential of 30+ year old music. Not that that's a bad thing.

I think the fact that people think it's worse than Dummy and Portishead when it is actually waaay better makes it underrated.

so the two albums they have after third came out?

youtube.com/watch?v=Z3FG07R9SEA

also Clive Deamer has been touring with them since 2011

The Rip is a 10/10 song

I was listening to The Rip today and I'm not going to lie, I nearly cried to it.

Better than Portishead maybe but not Dummy.

AS SHE WALKS IN THE ROOM

>so the two albums they have after third came out?
Well, yeah, obviously that's what you were referring to. And, as I said, only a couple of songs sound similar (and no Thom Yorke solo songs sound anything like Portishead).

I'm aware of Deamer touring with them, but that's kind of irrelevant if you can't point to anything specific sonically.

SCENTED AND TALL

Come on now, its fucking good, but their best? Nah

Their best album. I used to listen to it a lot when I was depressed. Almost bought the $60 LP w/usb flash drive

>The gap between Third today is nearly as big as the gap between Third and Portishead is now.

Fuck.

They somehow managed to make three albums (Four if you count Live in NYC) that are timeless.

The clapping ruins the live album though.

If I hated Dummy, would I hate this

Their take on trip-hop was so dull on that album

Third is very different sonically. Vocally there are similarities, but the overall sound it completely different.

Listen to the whole thing. The Rip is flawless and maybe the best thing they've ever done.

>If I hated Dummy, would I hate this
dunno, but you should hate yourself

P good album. Reminds me a lot of Contact by the Silver Apples.

Deep Water.

A lovely moment of reflection to break up the intensity of the album or an oddity that doesn't belong?

Im pretty sure portishead is really popular in the UK

>popular

Nah. Highly regarded, yes, but in no way "popular" if we're talking commercially.

what are some other good recommendations if i think this (and all portishead really) is 10/10? other than massive attack obv

The former. i like little interludes though, i never get the hate for Fitter, Happier for example.

Same. I like Deep Water, for what it's worth.

On Melancholy Hill is another one like that for me.

Most emotionally hard-hitting moment on the album imo

White Noise - An Electric Storm
The USA - s/t
Silver Apples - s/t
Suicide - s/t

ty, MORE MORE

It's literally considered their best after Dummy, how is that "underrated"?

It's way better Tbh.

I want to love this band, but the singer goes to far in too many places IMO. Not saying she is bad by any means just a little inconsistent. Like she is awesome on Magic Doors. The instrumentation is literally genius on third though.

beak>, ulver, archive

>underrated
rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2008

no it isn't

peasant here
whats this album

Portishead's best album

>any Portishead album
>underrated

Nah, they're all recognized as fantastic and rightfully so. Portishead won't put something out until they know they've got something special and while Third's a bit more fractured than the others it's in a way that's pretty damn fascinating rather than a detriment. Also, We Carry On is their best song and one of my all-time favorites so there's that.

Portishead - Third

click the damn arrow and image search