Is this worth watching?

Is this worth watching?

I liked it, but that probably makes me ribbit or something

yes

dude space movie cliches lmao

I'd say yes, but I'm a nerd who finds space exploration hugely romantic. I legitimately cried at one point in this movie.

>Matt Damon stuck on Mars
>Not leaving him there and cutting off all communications

Why can't Matt Damon get stuck on Mars irl?

Quirky black guy is suppose to be extra smart because he figured out a Armageddon plot device

It's honestly obnoxious. The basic story of getting rescued on mars is interesting but every little thing has to be a joke and a reference and pander to idiots who post "Science! Science is badass haha!" Images on their Facebooks

i like this film because i like potatoes and eating potatoes

It's fun and well put together, but I'm not sure why it ended up being nominated for Best Film - that was a bit ott.

This

the movie was too clean and tidy
there was nothing challenging about the film, every performance was cliché to a t
I can't pick out one performance that was good
The crew and set designers/sound people deserve all the credit. The movie itself in terms of the story, editing, directing, writing, was almost kitschy

Well the book was written for idiots who barely read so they can say they love sci Fi and reading

the book was a lot better to be honest family

Haven't read it myself, but people keep saying it was better than the movie, and I'm including some non-idiots.

That said, genre fiction is generally shit.

I agree, it would have been better had it been a more serious approach

This.

After watching this movie I realized just how delicious slices of baked potato covered in Heinz ketchup are.

Yes. It's really fun.

Why not?!
Eat shit OP!

it was good because pretty much 75% of it is just his narration train of thought and you understand a lot more of his reasoning and calculating instead of just 'IM GONNA SCIENCE THE SHIT OUT OF THIS'

I enjoyed it. It was like watching Cast Away except on Mars.

>I'm gonna science the shit out of this
Surprised there was no laugh track.

>every little thing has to be a joke and a reference and pander to idiots who post "Science! Science is badass haha!" Images on their Facebooks

That's what annoyed me too.

>I'm gonna science the shit out of this
>Mars will bow down to my botany skills
>Botany isn't a real science LOL good luck dying
>I'm gonna be iron man

It had no psychological aspects to it whatsoever.

Don't forget
>I'm literally a pirate xD

If they got rid of the cliché earth stuff and just kept it limited to Sean Bean, the spaceship crew, and Matt Damon, and made Damon's storier more gritty, it would have been kino.
They wasted Sean Bean's potential with very reddity actors like Jeff Daniels, Donald Glover, and Kristen Wiig.

It's like interstellar, but good

This is one of those movies you love or hate. I'm not really seeing anything in between here. Just watch it and form your own opinions about it op.

It's one of the worst movies I have ever seen

>That entire scene that could have been shortened to "We can try doing a gravity slingshot around earth and heading back to Mars to save him"

I get they had to explain it to the audience but that fucking cringeworthy demonstration had me shaking my head

No, it wouldn't, because then it would have just been Robinson Caruso in Space #53,205,991. We've seen and done that before.

Legit question, is the ending supposed to be happy? I don't think I'd ever want to go back to the shithole that is Earth. Matt Damon should have just chilled for a bit and respectfully kicked the bucket on Mars.

The amount of >leredditboogeyman in this thread is ridiculous

The Martian is a fun fucking movie. If you didn't like it you're trying too hard

It's totally opposite imo. I liked Matt Daemon's Dr Mann in Interstellar and the only reason I was somewhat hyped for the Martian is to watch a whole movie about the survival on another planet. Instead I got an insufferable lamefest with cringey attempts at humour.

In real life, people make jokes to themselves. A lot. In particular if they're stuck somewhere with nobody but themselves to talk to. It's either that or just give in to despair, but that would be a pretty boring movie.

Earth - more specifically, America - in The Martian has already had 3 Mars missions and is scheduled for 2 more, with the supplies for 1 of them having already arrived on Mars. Think for a moment about what that implies for America on Earth.

I don't have anything against Damon, but Earth characters were atrocious or unmemorable (I don't even remember what was Sean Bean's role).

Well then your gay

Dumb movie with excess amount of "lol so nerdy" scenes. "I'm going to science the shit out of this."

It's not unwatchable but I definitely agree with

I don't quite understand what point you're trying to deliver.
So is ur mom.

Is Jeff Daniels basically clichés: the actor?