Is Tony Soprano a sympathetic character?

Is Tony Soprano a sympathetic character?

Why did he reject the Human instrumentality for a plate of Gabagool?

He never showed sympathy to anyone aside from the horse

And AJ.

To OP. I used to think he wasn't, but at the same time (as he alludes to in the show), he was fucked from the get go. Once he was in, he was in. No one got to leave, and he was heavily influenced by his crappy father.

So he gets basically forced into the mob world. That being said, he never makes any overtures to reform himself. But I think he is a good example of "under the right circumstances that could be me."

What made his Dad so crappy? We bearly know the guy.

I always found him sympathetic.

He was never there except as a gangster. The only time that Tony's dad was proud of him, was when Tony didn't flinch when Satriale's finger got cut off.

If you were always seeking Dad's approval, and the only time he was proud of you was during an act of extreme violence...don't you think that would fuck you up?

tfw you think you're Tone but in reality you're AJ

Yes in the sense you can relate or literally sympathise, no in the purely moral sense since he lives in constant bad faith.

Not only that, but Johnny Boy was the guy who ordered Tony to do his first "hit" with Paulie back in the day. Tony shielded AJ from the mob life where Johnny Boy engulfed Tony in it without any hesitation.

not by the final season

>faith = morality

There's no stigmata these days.

Was it a sundae?

He asks about you.

Never post this gif again

A big part of season 6.5 was to break down Tony's hero worship of his father and show what a shitty person he was

A big part of 6b is to break down the audiences hero worship of Tony and show what a shitty person he was.

I don't mind it in principle, but they were so fucking heavy-handed with it that it turned me off.

It didn't bother me. I think it works in the end. They spend half a season showing you that Tony will be and always been an awful person who can't change his ways and in the finale he finally chooses family over the mod or his neuroses and dies. It's all the more tragic

>ACTUAL SOCIOPATHS-tier

Paulie
Phil Leotardo
Richie Aprile
Ralphie
Livia
Jamal Ginsburg
Joseph Gannascoli

>Bad guys with some genuine good qualities-tier

Tony
Christopher
Junior
Furio

>Decent guys just in a hard line of work tier

Silvio
Johnny Sack
Big Pussy
Bobby
Little Carmine

>Silvio
>decent guy
How can you think that after the thing with Adriana? He's just as bad as any of them

I feel bad for Adriana, but she knew the risks when she agreed to be a rat. Silvio did what he had to.

Problem is they spent 5.5 seasons previously saying it wasn't that simple.

I like how when Ralphie tells Johnny to talk to Carmine about switching families he rejects him saying "he doesn't know who he is" and yet Carmine was willing to kill Johnny to keep the peace and have Ralph keep earning money for them.

Tony really fucked up when he killed his best earner for a whooarse

penissary contact with her Volvo

fuck off nigger weeb

>he thinks it was the horse

Pie was just the final straw.

He was a loudmouth no one liked, almost started a war and the thing with the girl.

>Joseph Gannascoli
I don't get this

That, and they started inventing flaws just to make him seem worse. Being an asshole to a lifelong friend like Hesh, being a gambling addict out of fucking nowhere. It was bad writing, plain and simple.

and the ducks.

Vito's actor. He was said to be a real asshole on the set and he tried to profit off James Gandolfini's death

>Big Pussy
Fuck that rat.

Johnny Sack is based though, but he had the worst taste in women. I always thought he was the gay guy.

I miss the ducks.

>he had the worst taste in women. I always thought he was the gay guy.

No, he just genuinely loved his wife.

>No, he just genuinely loved his wife.

So is he gay or not??

Yeah he died of aids.

Absolutely not. Christopher is the most sympathetic character in the show.

>tried to profit off of James Gandolfinis death

Wait how?

Christopher killing his writer friend was far more despicable than anything Tony ever did.

he was at least likeable in some ways until season 6, but they ruined him there. he became a degenerate gambler, killed chrissy, turned on hesh and everything. they fucked up season 6 in general, but tony really got ruined as a character there

>more despicable than killing christopher
>more despicable than murdering ralphie
>more despicable than cheating on carmela every other episode
>more despicable than abandoning his girlfriend once her face got burned
>more despicable than leaving his girlfriend when she said she would commit suicide (and she did)
and thats just off the top of my head

He kept trying to promote himself by painting himself as a close friend of Gandolfini, which he was using to leverage people to pay him for interviews and autographs, even though the other co-stars all said Gandolfini hated him and they hadn't spoken since the show ended