youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o
youtube.com/watch?v=6epe9cFQ_9c
youtube.com/watch?v=kG-0V-85H_0
youtube.com/watch?v=UHPbTuSOKaA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fifth Element

Mooolti pass

Moon with Sammy Rockwell.

I like how this movie starts off as your standard space exploration movie then just devolves into cannibalism and rooms of human body parts and blood.

What do you lads think of

>Looper
>Snowpiercer
>Interstellar

Looper >>> Interstellar >>>>>>>>> Snowpiercer

>>Looper
meh

>>Snowpiercer
so-so

>>Interstellar
Watched it for the first time high as fuck in the movie theater. The scenes when they're taking off, when they're passing by Saturn and the music. It's an attempt by Nolan to make 2001. I like it.

What about
>pic related
?

Snowpiercer would have been so much better if it were actually about a bunch of people stuck on a train rather than one big allegory.

First half of Looper was excellent, but once he went to the farm he stalled a bit. That being said I would give it a 8.5/10. The kid actor was also really good.

Snowpiercer had a retarded ending but I enjoyed most of it. 7/10

Interstellar had some great moments, but it also had a lot of pacing issues. The first half went on for far too long and like Snowpiercer it had a really dumb ending. 6.5/10

>it had a really dumb ending

Did you think the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey was dumb, too?

i only have vague memories of this. is it good scifi famalam?

2001 is a vastly superior film and it's ending is better than "lol, love conquers all and is everywhere".

for a sci-fi b-movie, it's really good.
the trailer has spoilers so don't watch it if you haven't seen the movie.

>implying this wasn't the ending of fifth element too

Alien

Silent Running

Outland

Pitch Black

Starship Troopers

The Black Hole

Close Encounters of the Third Kind still holds up.

Silent Running is garbage

it's probably just too kino for your plebeian tastes

wew

I unironically like this movie.

>Looper
horrible piece of shit

>Snowpiercer
Entertaining, good use of setting, good performances, a bit too sketchy for my liking

>Interstellar
horrible piece of shit

that scene where they view the recording of the old crew, with the satanic latin chanting and that one guy pulling his own guts out by reaching into his own throat really stuck to me when i watched it as a kid

no

The word 'pleb' gets thrown around a lot here...

Europa report

looper is not as clever as it wants to be and has a bad and fucking stupid third act. in fact id say the movie starts reasonably well and still has good moments later but generally gets worse and worse as it goes on. decent/potential premise, bad writing, forgettable performances, progressively more pacing problems (the movie fucking dies when it gets to the farm. no one cares what they're watching at that point, we all know it). 5/10

snowpiercer is great in a lot of different ways but it doesn't really fully "work" and comes off as less than the sum of its parts, and a little too on the nose. 7.5/10

interstellar is "badly forced masterpiece" tier. there are so many problems with this movie that its pointless to get started and try to do it justice, but for the sake of credibility.. lets just say all of nolans usual weaknesses and traps are on full display here (bad third act, bad dialogue, meme entry level pseudo-intellectual philosophy, thematic inconsistencies, female characters that clearly just serve a function and have the typical one dimensional subtext, selling point(s) is/are a gimmick within a relatively bland framework, the list goes on and on) and this time the movie is going for way too much and little/nothing is done justice, and it feels unfocused with more of an eye on scope than anything else. its still kind of a good movie overall (gj hans zimmer), but bad in a lot of ways. 6/10

i don't think id recommend any of these to anyone. maybe snowpiercer for someone who has an interest in film (art) but hasn't seen a ton yet, mostly just as an example of technical elements and the potentials of different styles and levels of storytelling. there are better choices though and this type of person has probably seen it (and the other 2, and a fairly decent number of others) or run into and made their mind up on it already, so why bother..

skip them all, especially if you aren't a sci fi kinoisseur by nature.

/blog (fml)

Do you fart in your hand then smell it?

Robot Kino

youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o

Is there any time travel kino at all? Everything that touches it is so horribly done

a.i is the only right robot kino answer

good blog post famalam, i am of agree

Terminator obv

Bicentennial Man.
inb4 hurr ur a faggot

lol

*tips insecurity*

might not be quite to your style or what you're looking for, and yea quality/time travel combination is weak overall.. but.. back to the future 1 is basically a flawless movie. beyond that and the first two terminators and 12 monkeys, it gets ugly in a hurry.

STAR WARS ISN'T SCI FI

that was fucking brutal

What is it?

not him but its more space opera/adventure

fantasy adventure. there is no scientific basis for any of the story elements

Battlefield Earth.
Red Planet.

>iwn be multipassed by Leeloo Dallas

>sitting that close to a giant mech fight

They got what they deserved desu, even if some of them were cuties wearing dust masks

>A.I.
>not Ghost in the Shell

wew laddy

i know it's horrible but battlefield earth is actually kinda comfy

>ghost in the shell
>robots
whew

I love Evil Alien John Travolta

There's robots in it you dork and the Major can potentially be considered a robit

>robit
>there are robits in it
>its robit kino
whew

SPELL YOUR NAME

Primer

Predestination

Am i the only one who thought this was terrible?

Yes.

>missile fist careens towards crowd about to massacre hundreds
>Achilles tries blocking it
>falls on crowd and massacres hundreds

>terrible
probably. it definitely has some plot holes and i don't find it re-watchable at all. but sam rockwell gives a good performance, basically carrying the film along with some moon base eye-candy.

Gravity for kino.

The Martian for meme-kino.

B8. Both awful

youtube.com/watch?v=6epe9cFQ_9c

moon kino

youtube.com/watch?v=kG-0V-85H_0

sandra bullock's feet were bretty good tho

>they had to rebrand it as comedy years later to avoid making Carpenter look bad
My dad told me he saw this movie back when it came out and it was so incredibly, laughably bad. He watched it his second time with me an our minds were blown when John Carpenter's name came up while we were still laughing at the end.

I was maybe 10 when I saw it and even I appreciated it. How much of a pleb do you think is?

It's not all about the story, faglord, it's the atmosphere.
>What are spaceships?
>What are laser swords?
>What are sentient androids?
And science fiction doesn't necessarily need a basis we can currently explain. You know, since it's science FICTION YOU MONG.

Wouldn't be kino either if it were classed under those things.

All of these are pretty varying in quality, but they're all worth a watch.
>Fantastic Planet
>The One I Love
>Never Let Me Go
>Timecrimes
>Coherence
>The Quiet Earth
>Primer
>Solaris
>The Zero Theorem
>Brazil
>Another Earth
>Monsters
>The Lobster
>Ex Machina
>The Double

This is what Interstellar could of been.

It's cliche to say at this point, but the first 2/3rds of this film are truly 10/10.

I think it was decent, but overrated. I had heard so much praise of it back then that I was sort of dissapointed. Haven't seen it in a while though, so I think I'm gonna rewatch it.

>stroking your own ego because thinking you liking something as a 10 year old makes you superior
Whew lad, get a load of this stuck up /r/movies enthusiast. Are you even reading what you're typing?

It wasn't very well received by critics because it's basically a slasher flick, but I'm glad I didn't put off seeing it.

>its sci-fi b/c spaceships and laser swords
traditional, kino science fiction is grounded in science-based fact or theory. spaceships capable of transporting humanoids ftl, laser swords, and most probably even sentient androids, are pure fantasy.

the theatrical release of the first star wars was kino,

It's the scientific elements that are important. The main difference between "science fiction" and "science fantasy" are that the former makes an attempt to explain the underlying scientific elements using a current understanding of actual scientific principles. The latter is basically equivalent to "LOL space magic don't gotta explain shit". Star Wars is on the same level as Doctor Who in this regard.

Not really sci-fi, but I really recommend Enemy too.

Based on the same concept as The One I Love and Coherence, except not really.

>first 2/3rds of this film
this is why it's hard to really decide what is kino in sci-fi, because sci-fi fans are so into world-building they cannot really evaluate the quality of the picture without bias. jupiter ascending is an example of this which failed brutally. dune is an example of a bad picture with great world building. alien is an example of a picture which is kino in both regards.

>cannot really evaluate the quality of the picture without bias
Stop right there, friend.
Don't believe the redditor's (aka jews) lies about the quality of a piece of art being objective. If someone values world building over all things else, and the film delivers on that well enough for the person to be satisfied, then they're not wrong on saying that the film was good.

Media doesn't exist in a vaccum outside of each individuals personal taste, and literally every human being is biased when it comes to judging it, including you.

If you read the books and play KotOR it explains everything just saying.

Gene Kino

>not species

I have a memory from when I was young, there was a movie with a red planet and someone holding on for dear life on a pole or something? Does anyone know what I'm talking about.

one of the only sci fi movies i've enjoyed.

wew lads such practical effects
looks totally real and unsettling and not even slightly cheap

Show me CGI that can do that.

The Thing (2011) had the spirit but still looked like dogshit

>the city is made of cardboard
i can't watch this as anything other than an art film

Yeah but we're talking about the movies. 456 are clearly more fantasy. 123 try to explain stuff kind of with midichlorians and shit but still pretty much fantasy.

B-Kino at it's finest.

Seriously if you haven't seen this go watch it right now.

MOM'S

God, this flick was an absolute pile of dogshit, hardly watchable.

it's not even the use of practical vs cg that annoys me, I just think The Thing monster looks like a fucking mess and I don't get why people praise it so much
Xenomorph looks good, Predator looks good, The Thing looks like shit.

anyway

youtube.com/watch?v=UHPbTuSOKaA
(the fucking worms)

*larvae

holy shit, you desperately need to watch more films plebtard

KANEDA

looper is great

The ending of the Fifth element is less dumb. Leeloo isn't a full person with experiences and a life of her own. She's more a blank slate that had just been devastated by learning what War is. The message is less vague then "Love conquers all" it's more that our better nature can beat out our violent ones with a bit of effort.
The theme of interstellar is that people can't act in the interest of the world at large (Matt Damon's character) and the only way people do good things is out of personal affection. Which is dumb.
Star wars is sword and sorccery fantasy in the vein of Conan or John Carter. It is not science fiction.
You're a moron.

Logan's Run is pretty kino