One post in and this thread already has nowhere to go - nice work OP

>clinical depression
>crippling depression
>drugs
>heart break
>dead mom
>dead doggo
>poor childhood

When his dog died, I feel like that was the universe just egging him on to kill himself. Such a fucked up situation where his dog jumps from a building. Poor Trent, but he overcame it.

Doggo died, so that he could go on and save other doggos

He's one of us.

No friends. Richard left him and Manson was fast to sell him out.

He has friends now though.

He was too fucked up to care

>>dead mom
you mean grandmother, who raised him because his real mom and dad got a divorce, and his mom determined it would be too difficult to raise two kids by herself, so she sent them to her mom's house.

>Be Micheal Trent Reznor jr
>Dad takes you out for ice cream one day.
>Look your mom and I are getting a divorce, we're not going to be able to do this again for some time... you're going to live with your grandparents.
>Heart broken
>Be a quiet respectful kid
>Become classically trained on a piano
>Try out other instruments in high school, become full fledged band geek
>After HS start geeking out o computers. Go to college, get a computer science degree
>Get bored
>Join a series of new wave bands
>Get bored
>Try to strike it out on your own, why be in a band when you can be the band!
>Change name to Trent because you resent Dad
>Get signed to a shitty record label based on a demo
>Get introduced to crack cocaine
>Goodbye Purest Feeling, hello Pretty Hate Machine!

>Be Trent Reznor 1992
>PHM relatively successful
>Have a couple of new friends
>Kicked crack cocaine
>Get call from TvT
>"Heeey buddy... can you keep pumping stuff out like PHM?"
>"I want to try something new."
>"haha, no. More Hate Machine."
>Thus begins liflong resentment with record companies
>Do some work on the Pigface sessions
>Still being teased by Al and Nivek... fucking Kevin, you Canadian chad.
>Secretly start working on Broken and working with interscope to get out of the TvT Deal
>Start own reord label so you don't get fucked over again.
>Release Broken
>Surprise it's a smash hit!
>Get introduced to binge drinking
>Get introduced to hallocingenics

>Be Trent Reznor, 1994
>Just spent a year losing your mind in the Tate murder house, making what you think is an uncommercial album
>Record comanpany releases it
>Surprise motherfucker! it's a commercial success!
>Get invited to Woodstock
>Show up fried on shrooms and drunk
>Play the show of a life time which inspires your personal hero Gary Numan out of a creative slump
>Look back on it and call it garbage
>Get deeper into binge drinking
>Get introduced to Cocaine

>Be Trent Reznor 1995
>Get a call
>Holy shit, it's David Bowie
>Wants to tour with you,
>Says he wants to OPEN for you because he's trying to reinvent himself.
>Says he wants to duet with you!
>holy fuck, holy fuck, holy fuck
>First couple of weeks on the tour he's looking at you like he's been there before.
>Takes you aside and gently informs you that you don't have to be living like this. Doesn't judge.
>Spends the next several years in contact with you. Never judges.
>He's the dad you always wished you could have had.

>Be Trent Reznor, 1999
>Locked yourself away from the world
>suicide is on your mind as you struggle to write the your new album
>Friends are selling you out, people are getting antsy.
>Release The Fragile
>Most personal piece of work to date
>Gets panned as melodramatic, stale and boring
>Relapse after brief stint of sobriety, hit the tour circuit hard
>Fucking nu-metal

Enjoyed these

>Be Trent Reznor 2001-03
>You have reached the JUST point
>Died for several minutes from snorting Heroin under the assumption it was cocaine
>A friend of yours was executed in the streets and you were too fucked up to attend the funeral
>Your manager ripped you off for millions, leaving you nearly bankrupt
>New Orleans sinks under Katrina, ruins almost all your shit.
>Wake up one day and remember the words to 'No, You Don't'
>Remember that you're fucking Trent Reznor. It's time get your ass back in gear. You got work to do and it's time to pull off the greatest unJUSTing in the history of man.

>Be Trent Reznor, 2005
>Left New Orelans, moved to LA to get out of the scene you were trapped in
>Start mountain biking
>Holy shit, exercise fun?!? Take a note of that.
>Working on a new semi-concept album based around the struggle with addiction
>Pretty personal, but if you want it to be a come back, you gotta go easy on it... can't be another Fragile.
>Make friends with a funny english guy named Atticus.
>With_Teeth is released
>Applauded by normies, hated by the old crowd.
>You know what? Fuck the old crowd. I'm alive and making music, now leave me alone, I got a haircut appointment and a gym membership to sign up for.

>Be Trent Reznor, 2005 - 2007
>On tour
>Find out the US government was using your music to torture people.
> Oh shit, now that I'm clean and sober, the world is shitty in a way I didn't think it possible.... hmmmmm
>Welcome to Year Zero, now excuse me, these weights aren't going to lift themselves.... GOD GIVEN.

Which is his best post-Fragile album?

>Be Trent Reznor, 2008 - 2009
>Sitting in studio
>Be bored
>I think I'm done... this is getting to be a day job
>Releases an album for free, goes on massive tour
>Minding own business
>A WILD FILIPINA APPEARS.
>play it cool... play it cool... don't spas...
>"HIMYNAMEISTRENTLETSGETMARRIED."

NiggyTardust

People will say otherwise.

Those people are wrong.

>Not The Actual Events
>Year Zero
>Hesitation Marks

These three, in not any order.

Trent's life story is genuinelly motivating, no memes.

Seeing Trent now, releasing Not The Actual Events and Hesitation Marks, personally I consider those being one of his best albums, for him to release those so late into his career while having such high quality is impressive and satisfying to see, a true victory of a man.

One thing that is overlooked nowadays (more since his passing) is that David Bowie was shit on the 90s (nobody really cared about him anymore) and he jumpwagon on the Reznor/Manson wave.
Bowie had a pretty good eye to tell where "new" things were happening.
I have much respect for the man but I can't understand why nobody ever mentions the lows.

>inb4 Manson was already mimicking Bowie during Antichrist Superstar and ended up fully Ziggy for Mechanical Animals.

Outside was good

There's more?

Forgot to mention the 2013-2017 current era, that being Hesitation Marks

>This is now a Nine Inch Nails discussion thread.
I feel like Sup Forums will take any chance to talk about Trent Reznor.
Good.

just caught the meaning of those lyrics
>the feels

I enjoyed Year Zero, Ghosts & The Slip (underrated af) the most.

Hola reddito

Still without a doubt

Still is kinda cheating, it is still part of The Fragile, it might as well be The Fragile B-sides, And All That Could Have Been was obviously supposed to be on the record, tracks even reference it (The Wretched) and shit.

The real Post-Fragile starts with With_Teeth.

That's fair. I'd definitely say its my favorite Nine Inch Nails release. But with that as the standard, I'd probably say either Hesitation Marks or Year Zero

>nobody ever mentions the lows

What are you talking about, Low was his greatest album huehuehue

The year was 2008. I had just bought Year Zero Remixed and it came with another CD. What could this be?
Suddenly find out about ableton and multitracks, and begin fucking around with sounds.
9 years later, I still use Ableton.

Thank you based Trent for getting me into making music. This dude is a real inspiration. Also Not The Actual Events is fucking great, I love Field On Fire (I know he could go noisier than that but he probably had some restraint).

He always had this restraint, it is what makes his stuff hit as hard as it does, I remember him saying something about restrain making stuff hit harder when nu-metal was exploding.

I was really surprised how Not The Actual Event's vocals were

And by surprised I mean how good they were

Hesitation Marks

>tfw kinda resented trent for being a "fake" outcast but now i just can't help but feel inspired and a bit less hopeless about everything

what's his secret

Do you like this photo?

One of the things that hit me the hardest was Reznor talking about bowie after he died, Bowie was a huge star but still remained human, and a good dude

stereogum.com/1855413/read-trent-reznors-moving-david-bowie-eulogy/news/

looks like he uses that jacket to wipe his ass after stimulant induced diarrhea

I know, This is still a work in progress.

>Be Trent Reznor, 2009 - 2011
>Be married, be jacked, have friends
>be bored
>Start writing music again
>decide you want to be lowkey, don't want it to be another Nine Inch Nails
>Involve your friends and wife in the process
>How to Destroy Angels is born
>NIN fans thinks wife is ruining your music
>Already dealing with creepy as fuck fan girls saying she's going to make you fall off the band wagon because she enjoys a drink or two
>Certain review publications consider it a vanity band
>Whatever, making music and enjoying it and don't have the NIN chain wrapped around neck for the time being
>Get a call from David Fincher
>"Hey I'm making movies, you want in?"
>"I guess."
Do soundtrack for GRagon Tattoo
>Atticus and you make hours of music for Fincher to choose from
>It's well received
>Get call from Fincher again
>"Hey I'm doing a face book movie, want in?"
>"No, I'm busy.. I got a tour to do and my wife is pregnant".
>Well. I'll send you what I have... take a look if you want."
>Get bored a couple days later
>Watch the movie Finch has so far
>Start composing the soundtrack.
>Send it to Fincher and blow him away with it
>Get a shitload of nominations
>Win an Oscar
>Feel respected for the first as an artist
>WTF i hate grammy's now!

Social Network came first, tho.

>Be Trent Reznor 2011-2013
>Now a family man
>Clean for nearly ten years
>Stable, happy all things consideed.
>Get bored
>Wake up one day and a wave of nostalgia overwhelms you
>"God... I miss who I was in 1994. He was pretty cool."
>Instantly reject that feeling and become scared of a relapse. Too much to lose.
>"I gotta get this out of my system. Say the things that I need to say."
>Dusts of Nine Inch Nails and gets back to work.
>Drops Hesistation Marks
>Generally received well
>Some call it boring
>Others think it's a cash grab
>Whatever. People are shit.
>Go on tour, dedicate a large effort to making it to a fantastic visual and audio expereicne.
>Tour sells out faster then you thought
>Step on stage and look out.
>Median age of crowd 17.4 years old
>You're fifty
>Kids are still flocking to your music because it's a timeless expression of rage, agony and reject which will never vanish.
>Your legacy is to be the voice many of these kids could never express
>"Now I am Bowie, Elder Statesman of Rock music."

oops, whatever. it's reddit posting. Facts are irrevelent

Wasn't it his grandma who died?

Yeah, she died first, then his mom just prior to hesitation marks, then Grandpa.

>ywn be as amazing or inspiring as Trent Reznor

FUCK

>>Kids are still flocking to your music because it's a timeless expression of rage, agony and reject which will never vanish.

This.

>"How can you turn me into this? After you just taught me how to kiss... you."

He twisted and warped industrial to appeal to the plebeian masses. Death's too good for him.

posting some deskop NIN.

Seeing Trent go fully JUST during The Fraggle tho,

Trent's not to blame, his band is a gateway to industrial bands like Skinny Puppy and whatever.

Settle down, not even Nivek is reeeeing about it anymore.

(Speaking of which, watching a lot of vintage Skinny Puppy concerts. That was stage performance at its finest. Like they perfected upon Alice Cooper. Also Dwanye was a full blown bae.)

Seen them 3 times. Best live band ever.

>Be Trent Reznor, 2016
>Busy being dad to four kids
>Casually working on music
>Make vague promise to release new NiN material before year out
>Fans go apeshit
>Go about your business, being full time dad
>Fans hound you increasingly.
>Sooth them a little by releasing Before the Flood
>Year is almost over
>"oh... SHIT!"
>Go into overdrive mode
>Release a cool little taste of what's to come in 2017
>Invite your brother from an english mother to join Nine Inch Nails
>Release an update to The Fragile now that people are starting to like it
>Pitchfork gives that a 8
>Fucking cunts
>Release Fragile B-Sides in an album
>Decided to send fans a bag of black powder with a warning.
>Get your annual sensible chuckle as all hell breaks loose from that little prank.
>Take a sigh of satisfied relief as your fans are hyped as shit and go back to being a Dad for a little while longer.

It wasn't done with any pretensions though

Hesitation Marks has been growing on me lately.

>When Running kicks in

trent reznor is respected by throbbing gristle and coil, he's the reason the ape of naples exists

Ohgr is playing a cheap show in Chicago with KMFDM on October 1st.
If you can catch him solo or with Skinny Puppy, it is well worth it. I drove 4 hours to see a concert and some guy from Canada admitted to me he got his passport just to come into the states and see SP live.

I know this is the feeling of some 90s fans, but honestly I would have never been a goth and then rivethead if it wasn't for him and Manson getting me into the culture. They are like gateway drugs. Some people enjoy just them are fine, but they helped bring in more of a crowd to the culture that produced them. Not saying Manson is goth, just that he displayed a lot of Goth attributes and talked about the culture a fair bit in his autobiography.

>>Get your annual sensible chuckle as all hell breaks loose from that little prank.
What is this all hell breaking loose?
Got some cool little art card things and pictures. Better than a booklet that comes with a CD desu

Twitter fags complaining about opening the powder when told to be careful about opening said bag of powder

I thought with teeth was a terrible album but it has grown on me. Its really good!

Before my father showed me NIN i hadnt really attached to any music. just listened to what ever my family did. but when my dad started playing With Teeth on car rides i started taking another look at music. I still consider NIN and Trent my favorite music group.

>skinny puppy
>industrial
They're post-industrial.

If you want to be stupidly precise, they are Psychedelic torture music according to Ogre.
Literally everyone in the scene calls them industrial. Never met anyone between Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland who refer to them as anything besides industrial. And the one person in NYC I know calls them industrial as well.

he's too good for this world, we really don't deserve him.

>my experience dictates the truth
Throbbing Gristle, SPK, and Boyd Rice are Industrial, Skinny Puppy, NIN, and Ministry are Post-Industrial because they do not adhere to the same sonic principles of those, but have traits comparable to them. Lrn 2 muzik

Lrn 2 umbrella terms

Each one of the first 3 you listed sound different from eachother. Throbbing Gristle = slowed down drone with synths and sloppy guitar

SPK = cutup found sounds and screams with drums

Boyd Rice = alarms and screaming, add a pinch of fascism once in a while.

How's that album coming along dude?

it's coming along fine. Might make a detour and release new HTDA stuff instead.

>a manlet who never learned
solved

he did tho

>no mention of Bowie's reaction to clean TR
>no mention of Bowie's death

still pretty great desu

for years I was convinced he played Casey Jones in the '90s Turtles movie

I'm not talking about the quality of his works, I'm talking about the general consensus within the music industry and with the audience. Thee were a lot of venue changes due to low tickets sale and, in general, on the music press his releases were poorly recieved and had either low o mixed reviews.
The tour/collaboration with NIN and working with Floria Sigismondi helped him gain MTV time and the appeal to younger generations and music critics.
I am not flaming, it's just history. Of course I enjoy those releases but it' stupid changing facts just because.

>Aaliyah actually wanted to work with Trent Reznor
Holy shit, I wonder how that would've turned out? Now I'm all sad about her passing

Here's my full autism about Aaliyah and Trent on display. I'm convinced they could have very easily got together. He always had a penchant for black girls in that era.

see

oh, I see, sorry, man

STAHP

fucking rezfeels

Man, I miss her so much. Why must the good die young?

God doesn't want the pure corrupted.

his mother died in 2011 ifrcc

fugg, did she even had the chance to see the first baby?

yeah the first one was 2010 birth

Grandpa died about 6 months after his mom though. When Trent got clean he really doted oon his maternal grandfather. Sent him off on cool fucking adventures just to get him out of Mercer. Sort of a way to say thank you for raising him.

>Tfw when cocksucker makes a joke about Christmas with your mom...

youtube.com/watch?v=shOc-5FxA3g&t=27s

>It was his first time on tour, and we called him “Mama’s Boy” and whipped Black Cat firecrackers at him all the time. We used to throw these things in his bunk to wake him up, and he’d jump around like there were poisonous snakes in his bed. He’d try to keep up with our drinking. We wouldn’t let him stop, so he’d puke and pass out, and then we’d draw dicks and pussies and the word “fag” on him in permanent Sharpie marker. Eventually he got sick of the abuse and said, “Oh, my grandmother is sick. I have to go,” and he left the tour. But we kept his four-track.

>I didn’t see him again for a number of years, then out of the blue he called me up and asked me to produce a cover of Queen’s “Get Down Make Love”. I don’t know why he came back to me after we put him through so much crap, but I was happy to hear from him again, so I invited him to Chicago Trax, where we put him through another few days of hell. We had a pact during the session that we would work all hours of the night and that no one could fall asleep. Anyone who fell asleep would get their head shaved. And then, of course, I put Rohypnols in Trent’s and drummer Chris Vrenna’s drinks so they passed out. It was kind of like a Vegas game there, man. I was tilting the odds— doing lots of coke to stay awake and giving them drugs to make sure they passed out.

>As soon as they fell asleep I broke out the clippers. I shaved their heads and their eyebrows. I got through Vrenna really fast. And then I started on Trent. Shaving his head was no problem. And I did one of his eyebrows completely but only got halfway through the other before he woke up. He asked, “What the fuck are you doing?!” And I said, “I told you, man. No one’s allowed to pass out.” He didn’t know what I did exactly, so he ran to the mirror, saw what I did to him, and started screaming like an eight-year-old girl.

Why did they bully him so much?

The new guy gets the most abuse. He was an easy target because he was still looking at others for cues at the time, young artist and all that.

Al was a dick, he always had that mentality because he was the first major success to pass from gaylectronica to industrial-metal.
Even Paul Barker left Ministry in the end. And it was HIS band, Al was just the frontman.

Trent a cute. CUTE!

youtube.com/watch?v=1JXFCq5QaE0

dat nose. That nervous stutter.

20 odd years later, same stutter, this time making the host giggly.

youtube.com/watch?v=fHdTXKE8NfE

>looking away from the camera
>Constantly rubbing his air, arms
>Stuttering on almost every sentence

I love how awkward he is, he has kinda out grown most of that, but you can still feel some form of insecurity in his newest interviews.

youtube.com/watch?v=C3kPZ7Ko1Dw&t=200s

could be worse, he's tweaky tony montana impression is very uncomfortable to watch

youtube.com/watch?v=iAp2s94aods