IT'S HAPPENING!

IT'S HAPPENING!

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/07/23/netflix-lands-crowd-funded-reboot-of-mystery-science-theater-3000/
deep13.us/synth
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I thought they were already doing this with Joel and Felicia Day and some other unfunny fucks as the bots.

That's what this is. They just made a deal to release their Kickstarter bullshit through Netflix.

Will Netflix cough up the money for the Gamera and Godzilla episodes?

who gives a fuck

blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/07/23/netflix-lands-crowd-funded-reboot-of-mystery-science-theater-3000/

>After amassing a record-setting Kickstarter pot of $6.4 million to produce 14 brand new episodes, the reboot of “Mystery Science Theater 3000” has been picked up by Netflix.

>Along with the Netflix announcement at Comic-Con in San Diego on Saturday night came news that “Community” star Joel McHale and creator Dan Harmon had joined the “MST3K” writing staff. Former writers and cast members Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy, who played the puppet ‘bots Crow T. Robot and Tom Servo, are returning. And Mary Jo Pehl will also reprise her role as mad scientist Pearl Forrester.

Oh, well then who gives a shit

Sweet. Have they been reading my diary or something? That's literally the best platform I could have hoped for.

this, announce S2 of ST already

That's nice. It would make Netflix more money if they endorsed Dredd 2 desu. Everyone that enjoyed MST3K even as little kids knows to avoid this modern shit like the plague.

wait so Bill and Kevin are returning...are they going to do the voices? I just couldn't find myself liking the new voices.

Isn't it supposed to star Felicia Day and some other unfunny faggots?

How hard is it to get back the Rifftrax crew?

Yes, the Rifftrax crew. Mike is waaaaay better than Joel. Deal with it

>Joel McHale and creator Dan Harmon had joined the “MST3K” writing staff.
eww

Bill, Kevin and Mike have nothing to do with this. It's Joel and a bunch of unfunny millennial faggots doing the netflix version

I don't get it. Why is Netflix stock dropping like a rock? They are the best streaming service out there. They'll revive anything. I'll take a MST3K revival even it means more seasons of Fuller House.

They're probably coming back as Bobo and Brain Guy, since they said Pearl was returning.

Learn to fucking read retard

>Raising prices
>Shrinking Library
>Banned VPN
>Felicia Day in anything
Whelp. Why haven't YOU cancelled your Netflix?

I hope this means that the older episodes will be available for streaming.

fuck that makes more sense. guess it's better than nothing...

er, i'm just going by what i was replying to

It's gonna suck dick. MST3k's not particularly good, not hilarious, not worthy of hype and certainly not worthy of rebooting. It's just the comfiest show ever, but a kind of comfy that will not really be able to be replicated.

Shut up millennial faggot

Why IS their library shrinking anyway?

I can't cancel something that I never had. Unless you mean cancelling all the accounts that I got from infecting people. If I did that then I would have no income besides NEET bux. True patricians use trackers.

I did. I'm only resubbing for Luke Cage. Hulu is way better.

Competition.

How does this work? isn't mst3k a show where they review/riff on shitty movies?
Won't they have to pay a fortune for the rights to show the movie? i don't know how it worked originally but nowadays it's a known show so i doubt anyone would let it slide

Master kraft?
Mister kroft?
wtf is this...
and no im not 12, im 27.

>Dan Hamon

The only thing he's good for is Twitter spergouts

shit old movies shouldn't cost that much to license

>reddittheater3000
fucking kys

>pay a fortune for old movies and shorts that are almost certainly public domain at this point

Pluto TV?
Youtube?

fucking this:
deep13.us/synth

they're everywhere.

The old mst3k would do shitty old movies that were in the public domain or cheap as shit to license. That's why they almost got into deep shit with Toho when they did those godzilla movies

They probably don't cost that much to license, but if you're the guy who owns the rights of said movies and you know mst3k wants it for their show you're gonna jew the shit out of them

>public domain
I did not account for that

Nothing falls into the public domain anymore. lrn2copyright.

Sasha

2nite

>Nothing falls into the public domain anymore.

Tell that to the estate of Mildred and Patty Hill.

That didn't fall, it was pushed. If not for the lawsuit proving it should be considered a pre-1923 work they'd still be collecting checks.

That's because Happy Birthday's copyright kept getting renewed. It expired like last year or something. You can now sing Happy Birthday in any shitty movie you'd like. In general though they would have to pay for the rights to the movies they use.

>Dan Harmon

This is going to eat shit.

I HEARD THEY'VE CAST A CAMEL!

MOM'S GONNA FREAK

>white people find this funny

The old MST3K is great. Fuck this new shit.

Any hue here? I honestly hope they get the original crew that dubbed the MST3K movie to dub this as well, if it comes to Netflix BR.

What are the actual chances of it being distributed to worldwide netflix, tho?

Fair enough, but the point remains that there is still plenty of material for MST3K/Rifftrax to mine. Look at the Prelinger Archives for example, there's enough shorts there for years' worth of material.

Nah, it's because of the Mouse. That's why copyright lasts so fucking long nowadays. Walt may be dead, but his greedy ineritants want to make sure you don't paint Donald Duck on the wall of your nursery because it will hurt their bottom dollar.

>talkies
>public domain, ever
Get a load of this faggot

>You know what MST3K needs? Felicia Day!

Said absolutely no one except Wil Fucking Wheaton.

Best episodes for a n00blorz?

Space Mutiny
That cop one

I literally can't remember. It's been too long.

Puma Man
Rowsdower (can't remember the actual name)
Manos: The Hands of Fate

>>Rowsdower (can't remember the actual name)
The Final Sacrifice

Also Fugitive Alien + Fugitive Alien 2

Space Mutiny
Time Chasers
The Final Sacrifice
Puma Man
The Legend of Bogey Creek II
The Screaming Skull
Hobgoblins
Giant Spider Invasion

To name a few.

I recommend starting from the beginning and going straight through.

Goddamn its been so long since I've watched mst3k. Whats the one where the little kid finds the space alien egg and an elephant nosed freak hatches from it. He calls it trumpy. That was a good one.

Fag Day will be the best thin about this!

>all Mike episodes

why don't people like Joel-era MST3K? is it because he's not as snarky in his riffs as Mike and millenials love snark? i like 'em both about the same 2bh

the only netflix original shit I like is Trailer Park Boys everything else is normalfag trash

>raise more than 6 million dollars on kickstarter to make new episodes
>distribute the episodes through a pay service
???

>Joel

Any of the Gamera episodes

Gorgo

Hercules Against the Moon Men

Beginning of the End

Screaming Skull

Hobgoblins

Every studio realized the value of their library of films and wanted way more money

Pod People

Pod people. What a shit movie.

he really is trash, mike is so much better

Real fans prefer Joel episodes.

Mike is funnier but Joel is comfier.

Why is it greedy for the employee of the Walt Disney company to want to continue to profit on things they created and own? Should Frito-Lay have to give up their chip recipes in the future?

Expirations on media copyrights make no sense in today's economy.

That's awful advice. MST is not the kind of show to marathon or trudge through, it's nearly 200 episodes of varying quality best scene randomly

Laserblast

Copyright was meant to protect the creator of a work from people copying it to profit from its popularity, not fund the company he founded in perpetuity.

because they keep making meme showing and buying the rights for shitty sequels while their stock of good movies and tv shows gets stolen by hulu

>Felicia Day: "Hee he heeee! Today, your experiment is going to be-"
>She's shoved offscreen by Pearl, followed immediately by Bobo and Brain Guy
>Pearl: "Take the train, Camel Jane. I'll take it from here."

I'd be cool with this.

The name of that one is on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember.

>why don't people like Joel-era MST3K?

'cause by the last few seasons of the Mike era there are a lot more riffs and they're funnier.

Let's clear something up though: I enjoy Joel's brand of humor on the show but I think it showed much better in the skits. Now, Mike was there early on (season 2 I think) writing for the show so by the mid-to-late portion of his own era as host he had clearly gotten a lot better as a writer.

I've watched Joel era episodes and early Mike episodes and they are just too quiet a lot of the time. Though as I sort of implied, I thought Joel was better in skits.

Another factor though could be that when I watched MST3k they mostly only ever played Mike episodes.

I'd say it's for two reasons

One is that Mike was much funnier, as a writer and performer. He had better rapport with the bots, better screen presence, and changed the tone of the show from goofy late night comedy to something rivaling Seinfeld or The Simpsons for most hilarious lines per minute

Second is that the later the show ran the more recent films they played, and no budget films from the 70s and 80s are just more fun to watch than creeky 60s B-movies

But clearly things have changed. Disney has been around for 8 decades, employing tens of thousands and continuing to work based on the profits guaranteed from old properties. Why should they be forced to just abandon the rights to those films and characters because they are a certain age?

I think that early on, Mike was trying too hard to emulate Joel. I'd imagine part of that was because they didn't want to make the show too jarringly different from what fans were accustomed to. By the time Sci Fi rolled around, almost the whole original cast was gone, so they said "fuck it" and went full hog with making it their own thing.

I'm roommates with the son of the main writer Nelson.

This is not happening because it won't be funny. Take it from him because he said his dad isn't going to be involved.

You're roommates with Mike Nelson's son? That's pretty fucking rad.

Totally don't care. The new cast looks awful.

Felica Day is cringe worthy

this.

Copyright is complete and total government sanctioned thievery from the public's cultural consciousness. You can't just selfishly horde a fucking idea from everyone else forever long after the guy who came up with it in the first place is dead and rotting in the ground and can;t possibly profit from it. Physical private property is one thing because only one of any given physical thing can exist at once and only so many people can use it, but anybody can use an idea with taking anything from Disney aside from hypothetical viewership if what they do with that idea is better than Disney (god forbid!)

Just because Disney CAN exclusively profit off of Mickey Mouse forever doesn't mean they should.

His name is George Nelson.

He's actually an hothead + depressed ass. Not fun. sometimes

Walt Disney has been dead for 50 god damn years. His children are even dead now. Why shouldn't his work fall into public domain? Maybe those tens of thousands should come up with something new.

That sucks. All the same, I would act like I had nowhere to go on Thanksgiving, out of the hopes that he would invite me over to his parents house. Spending Turkey Day at Mike's house would be so surreal.

I will always prefer Joel to Mike.

We're in Nashville, and his parents are up North. I was invited to go up there but ultimately got fucked out of it since he tried to get with our roommate's high school gf a week after they broke up.

Would have been fun to meet Mike, but honestly not worth it.

I'm sure kickstarter backers will get their faglord limited edition boxsets and downloads.
For everyone else, this is great news.

>His name is George Nelson.
He was born to raise hell!

That explains why they always do the Rifftrax live shows in Nashville. I always thought that was weird, because last I heard, they were in San Diego.

I'm really not trying to be pedantic, but I sincerely don't understand WHY copyright expiration should be a thing. Walt entrusted his creations ("his" being other people's ideas he owned because they worked for him in the first place) at his death with the intent that they would keep his company going. He didn't say "when I die we all shut down". If they could keep operating the second after his death, saying they can't make Mickey Mouse cartoons at any point after is completely arbitrary and to me nonsensical.

>Copyright is complete and total government sanctioned thievery from the public's cultural consciousness.
It sounds a lot more like government sanctioned thievery from private corporations and businesses. They can no longer profit on ideas they legally owned yesterday because you think the public has a better right to it? Based on what?

kek. you know, Mike's son George Nelson basically behaves like Baby Face in O' Brother.
Pseudo intellectually aggressive and also repressed, touchy, has anger issues.

Imagine Shakespeare's Globe Theater was a giant faceless company.
Imagine they made Shakespeare Land in London and put on revivals once every twenty years that they charged you a premium to own.
Imagine no one else could preform Shakespeare.
Imagine you couldn't even own the original plays without buying them at hefty prices.
Do you still think copyright in perpetuity is a good thing?

You get 100 fucking years, if you can't come up with another profitable thing in that time span you deserve any negative consequences.

This is different than that. Copyright laws are stoping people from making "The Further Adventures of Mickey Mouse" not just reusing old footage of Steamboat Willie.

You have a point but I don't quit think the analogy works. There was no Shakespeare Company holding copyrights indefinitely, obviously, but if there was one I can't find any reason to make them give up those rights. I would love to see all different artists revive Mickey Mouse and put new spins on old ideas, but it's Disney's property. To me that trumps any idealism of artistic freedom, or at least makes more legal sense. I simply can't comprehend why they should be forced to part with their property due to age or some notion of the public owning things they like

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME

FOOTBALL