So, Sup Forums, I just had my gallbladder out a few days ago. Besides the surgeon being a douche...

So, Sup Forums, I just had my gallbladder out a few days ago. Besides the surgeon being a douche, things weren't too bad. Though, has anyone had theirs out and had a drain? I don't have a follow up until next week, but with not trusting my doctor, I wanted to see if anyone else had this done.

Bump

I've had it, AMA.

I was so glad just to get it done. The attacks were killing me. The doctor couldn't believe how jammed up the stones were.

I'm really to have gotten it done. The other three incisions aren't too bad. It's just the one they have the drain in that is still bugging me.

Did you have a drain? If so, how long did it take them to take it out?

I had a tube hanging out of my gut for a week or two after, to let all the juice drain out. I also left the hospital with a Foley catheter in because my pee muscle wouldn't loosen up after the surgery. Had something to do with the anesthesia, I guess.

The gnarliest thing was that the doctor let me yank the drain tube out myself! It was gross but I love talking about it.

avoid fatty foods eg. cheese that shit will hurt

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. The tube/drain thing. So, about a week or two? Damn. I was hoping to get it out sooner than that.

So glad I didn't have a catheter, though. They suck.

Ugh. Just thinking about the feeling makes me feel sick. lol

I had two for another surgery I had before and I can still feel how it felt to have the tubes pulled out when I think about it.

Thanks! I have been being very selective about what I eat. Feels good to have an appetite again, though.

i had mine out christmas 2015, then i had 3 ERCP procedures to clear the tones out of my ducts.
the ERCP surgeon said i had the biggest stones he had ever seen in his 35 years of doing the procedures.

Curious, how old are you op?

I had an ERCP done in 2014. If I remember right, I had some pretty good sized ones. Not as bad as the ones you seemed to have, though.

That's funny. Mine complained about how mine were faceted.

And it hurt his professional dignity that he couldn't quite get the last couple out, so he had to leave a stent in there along with the drain. Said I kept moving around even under the anesthesia.

He went in the following day and got the last couple out. He said: "We're using this stuff! Yeah, it's the same stuff that killed Michael Jackson!"

I said "Cool!" and gave the thumbs up before fitting the mouth brace in. (He went in down my throat to get the stent out and the last couple stones that had dropped down.)

I wasn't too bad with the catheter, actually, especially since I had to pee sooo bad but couldn't get it out. I tried for hours (as hard as I could with all those punctures in my gut muscles), and I was so relieved when the nurse finally put it in.

Don't worry too much about the drain. I think I had mine longer than usual. It's mostly just weird looking down and seeing this tube coming out of an unnatural hole in your gut.

Ok, i figured. Ignore the total BULLSHIT from the surgeon and any physician that tells you you can eat what you want and have a normal life blah blah.......they are all ignoring the fact that this is likely a sequelae of metabolic syndrome even IF YOUR TRIGLYCERIDES AND BLOOD sugar levels are normal.....fuck em.....those stones....probably uric acid stones......you are most likely overweight at least or obese (no hate.....it was me). Use this opportunity to change your diet and up your exercise. You probably have undiagnosed fatty liver if the above is true and you probably have horrendous eating habits.....no 26 year old should have to have his dang gallbladder removed (when i had it removed).

I did mine six years ago. I was back home in 24 hours resting and back to work in 3 weeks. The tube was taken out of my gut 2-3 days after the operation. Stitches taken around 2-3 weeks later. You might have problems with your bowel movements because the food is digested differently now. Eat a diet recommended by your doctor for at least 10 months before you decide to eat a burger. I started eating anything I wanted a year after the operation. Take this chance to work out and get healthier lifestyle, assuming you don't have a good one.

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't have been too bad then. Better to have it in a situation like that.

Also, yeah, it's just weird having this thing hanging out of my side. The stitches keep pulling and it's annoying.

My surgeon didn't even give the nurses a diet I could have, so they wouldn't feed me while I was there. He left without checking up on me or approving any meds, as well.I was supposed to stay overnight, but said fuck it and went home. Which prompted me to ask about the drain, because I don't trust him.

Yeah, I'm a bit overweight. Mostly because of a hormone thing. But, I don't eat that bad, honestly. I will be doing more when it gets warm out and now that I feel better, to lose some of this weight.

"not trusting my doctor"

you trust him enough to let him remove part of your body but not enough to follow his decision on a follows up? i mean, getting second opinions is fine and all, but thats fuckin rude

No worries op you can do it, but DO it brother. Save yourself from being symptomatic for gout and getting kidney stones, and having docs want to shove chronic meds down your throat......
>> get pissed
>> lose 70 lbs (1/3 body weight), safely over 7-8 months
>> no more symptoms
>> no more altered liver enzymes.....still high uric acid level but 2 whole units less than before
>> fucking allopurinol still sitting on the damn shelf, didnt take it, refuse to take it. Fucking healthy whole foods plant based diet primarily did what we are engineered to do......heal

Primarily *allowed the body do what we are engineered to do* heal

I was all fine and dandy with him until he didn't come follow up with me after the surgery. I asked to see him several times and was always told he was in another surgery. Right after I was told that he was out of surgery and would be around, I was told he left.

He didn't give the nurses a diet or approve medication. So, I couldn't eat, drink, or get anything besides the pain pills they were already giving me.

Thank you!

Also, wow! Glad to hear all of that. It really gives me hope. I'd have to drop around 26-60lbs to be around the 'average' weight for my height.

I had my appendix rupture twice in the last 2 months...I had a drain both times and going in for a laproscopic apendectomy next wednesday.

Good luck! I don't have any experience with having appendix issues. But, I'm sure you'll feel much better once it's out.

Idk about your situation, but a truck ran over my leg and I have a rod in my leg now. 2nd day home. I can't get comfortable, I can't eat, I throw up all the time, I'll be laying in bed for like a month or two. Already want to an hero... :(

I know all about the not being able to get comfortable part. It hurts to lay down and I can't sleep on my normal side, my right, because the drain is there.

That sucks, though. So, accidental run over or a crazy person?

Random passerby here. Holy fuck how did your leg get run over by a truck? That must have been a terrifying experience. Only thing I can compare with that is that I once fell off a trampoline and landed on ny head. Everytime I look to the right theres a cracking noise. Its been about 10 years since then and my neck still clicks. I'm 21.

Figured I'd share because medicine in this country has gone to shit (like your surgeon not taking the time (or not being able to) for post op follow up just for your ease of mind). And they all ignore nutrition, in our country who is infamous for obesity.....wtf peepz....it's crazy

And yeah man just do it, you can. If my stubborn ass Cuban self stopped eating pork........anyone can do anything believe me :P

It really has gone to shit. Which makes me hope to not have another surgery anytime soon. I can't deal with assholes.

Thanks! I figure I'm going to quit smoking when it's warm and every time I want a cigarette, I'm gonna go running or something. Should help. I hope.

One step ahead of you already. I haven't eaten pork in a few years. lol

Yeah, my tolerance to pain pills is not helping.

It was my fault I got ran over.. I didn't pay attention and I fell under the truck tire.
I broke my back a few years ago and the pain of my broken leg was way worse.
I'm accident prone and will probably become a hermit after I heal. Thank God I'm not paralyzed though..
Time will heal me mostly. Besides emotionally..

They gave me percocets in the hospital. I hated them. Didn't even bother me when they told me if I went out AMA I wouldn't get pain meds.

Holy crap. Sounds like you've had a rough time of it. Here I thought my multiple surgeries over the last few years were bad.

I was on a dirtbike and didn't look up before I turned around. Next thing I know I ran into the truck and my leg got ran over..
I'm too poor to pay attention apparently. This will definitely be the worst next 2 months of my life. I'm dropping out of college because of this to so yeah life is going to suck now. Idk what I'm going to do with my life

Yeah I have Percocets and they're ok for about 2 hours then I get sick. I've heard from everyone I have the worst luck they've ever seen. On top of all my injuries, I got hpv from the first girl I slept with so yeah I might be cursed.. I do believe in an afterlife so I'm just hoping for that honestly. It could always be worse though. I always say that to myself.

Do you take them with food? If not, that might help.

You're right, though. Things could alway be worse. I tell myself that a lot.

I try to eat crackers, jello, pudding, and other easy chewing foods, but my stomach is constantly queasy and in pain since my accident. I throw up multiple times a day and I haven't pooped since my accident either even taking stool softeners everyday.
It should get easier on me, but it hasn't yet. I guess I'll just eat more even if I throw up. Its gonna be a long recovery.
At least I have a few Sup Forumsros to keep me company lol

This might sound stupid, but look into sea bands? They are normally used for morning sickness, but help with nausea by pressure points in your wrists. I've used mine a lot and they really help.

I had the same constipation issue after my surgery. Got gas pills and laxatives. That seemed to do the trick.

Yep! lol Good way to keep yourself occupied.

I had mine out this weekend. I feel you user. My surgeon was a pretty cool guy though. Came back to pull out my drain like ten minutes before they discharged me.

Had gallbladder out but still eat like shit. Every time I east loss of donuts, about an hour and a half later I get super urgent liquid shit. Body doesn't process sugar that good anymore after. Anyone know why?

>23:03:31
Had it out a year ago but no drain...

I never heard of those, but I just looked them up and I'll probably try them out. Thanks for your input. Its nice to know there are still decent people here.
I'll keep my faith because it really could always be worse. Good luck with everything user.

Processed sugar is like honestly the worst thing for your body. Try eating fruit, veggies, or soft foods. Even a few crackers or bread would be better than only donuts

More likely than not it's the fat they fry the donuts in, rather than the sugar. Low fat donuts just don't taste good though. Once you don't have a gallbladder there's no reserve of bile to help digest fatty foods.

I'm glad to hear it all went well and you had a pretty cool surgeon.

Mine wanted me to stay overnight. When I discharged myself, I was told I would have left with the drain the next day, anyway. I just want the damn thing out. I'm afraid of it getting infected or something.

Bodies procesd things a lot differently once the gallbladder is out sometimes. It is a major part of digestion, afterall.

Glad to hear you didn't need to deal with this annoyance.

You're welcome. I hope they help!

I hope the same for you! I'm sure that things will look better when you start to heal.

It's not too bad when they remove it. Way less pain than the gallstone attacks, or in my case the infection. But they said the longer it's in the more it hurts; your organs begin to join to it after a while or something. For me the worst part of removing it was when he cut the stitching holding it in.

I had two when I had a c-section two years ago, one on each side. They were in three days and the feeling of them being pulled out was the most disgusting thing to me.

With that being only three days, I'm kind of nervous about this one I have now being in over a week.

Oh right, they told me it was pretty rare for a dude to have gallbladder problems, especially at age 30. I'm glad I will never have to worry about having another person surgically removed from my abdomen. You have my sympathies.

Although removing the tube is probably a pretty similar feeling either way.

Hey, no need for sympathies. Honestly? The c-section wasn't as bad as it is made out to be. Pretty similar, though bigger incision, to the aches and pains of having your gallbladder out. At least to me, anyway.

But, yeah, it is pretty rare for a guy from what I've read/heard. Sucks you had to be one of the rarities. Though, better to have it out and feeling better.

>appendix perforated
>help ive been stabbed in my lower abdomen. >Called the hospital and asked what was what
>"should we send an ambulance"
>costs like $1500 with insurance
>hang up and call mom
>wait in agony for 15 minutes for mom
>mom almost has to carry me from car into hospital
>in surgery within the hour
>drainage tube 1 inch below waistline directly above dicktown
>In ICU for 6 days waiting for fluid to drain
>tfw high asfuck on morphine and percocet for 6 days straight
>surgeon comes in and to remove drainage bag
>when he pulled the tube out i could feel it down in your lower right abdomen

Fucking hate hospitals and operations bro.

Ah OK. That's good. I guess just the concept freaks me out.

Agreed on having it out though. It's a really weird feeling to be totally out of it on morphine and still have terrible pain.

One other thing to consider. If you aren't already on pain meds, I would probably take some an hour or so before they pull it. They gave me norco when I was discharged so I would take one of those, a tylenol, and a couple ibuprofen. Personally. Then you'd probably just be left with the weird feeling of the tube rubbing against your liver on the way out.

The appendix. One of the great mysteries of life.

One of my coworkers had hers burst but didn't feel overwhelming pain, just general discomfort that gradually got worse. They said if she had waited another 2-3 hours to come in, it could have killed her.

Holy crap. That sounds terrible.

I hear you, though. Hospitals and operations suck. Just being in a hospital gives me anxiety attacks.

Ugh. That's where my previous drains were. One on each side, on my lower stomach. Such a gross feeling.

It is weird. Especially when you think about them digging around in you to get the kid out. Fiance' said he watched the whole thing.

I didn't get any pain meds because I discharged myself AMA. I will have to try tylenol, though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Well, best of luck to you. Hope it doesn't hurt too much.

Thanks!

Gonna hop off of here myself. Thanks to all who helped. Made me feel a little better.

Had my appendix out a few months ago. was not fun. Shit ruptured while they were taking it out. Had a drain in for about a week. Throwing up blood day after surgery. Nearly went into toxic shock a few times but the morphine was good. Hope your recovery was better than mine, OP.