Late Night TV is Dead

Late Night Shows as we know them will soon all die.

This has nothing to do with the new hosts but with the change in how people watch tv. People aren't stuck with what's currently on anymore and late night can't compete with shows in earlier times lots or it would be earlier to begin with. Late night being risqué ended long ago as well so these show will soon have no audience once the grandpas and grandmas currently watching pass away.

They gotta find their own voice and it takes years for newcomer lateshow hosts to do that. Kimmel and Conan are the only seasoned funny ones on right now.

>tfw Eric Andre's show will outlive all the real shows

except Carson Daly's thing, they seem to have forgotten about him after they accidentally gave him a master key

hopefully so. the age of shows that are scheduled to air at a certain time is over. there is no need for it anymore. i want everything on demand as soon as its ready. it can even be in 20 minute chunks here and there, i dont care.

i don't think late night is done yet but i agree the current gen is bland as fuck. someone who actually pushes boundaries could easily replace one of the 11:30 (my time) hosts, and someone will probably replace colbert here pretty soon.

Why would you watch some 11:30 asshole trying to make you laugh when you can watch an episode of one of the dozen shows you are watching on Netflix/jDVR. The Late Night shows need to target people who want to see comedy bits/interviews above other shows now because everyone else can just watch an episode of one of the dozens of shows that attract prime time viewers.

post the dozen shows i should be watching on dvr cause i'm really interested

What is the "point" of late shows now anyway?
It would make sense if after a certain time you could swear more, show nudity, or generally say 'fuck it' to censorship after a certain hour...but you can't.

Vikings, Scream, GoT, Mr. Robot, Stranger Things, Bojack, Brooklyn 99, Last Week Tonight (Colbert replacement), Daredevil, Better Call Saul, Preacher, Walking Dead, and every old tv show on Netflix/Amazon Prime/easily streamable.

I'm sure you can call them all shit if you want but they are all now competing for late night viewers time and most people aren't autistic NEETS like you who can watch 12 episodes a day.

At this point there are youtubers with more influence than the late night anchormen.
The format is almost irrelevant.

Exactly. The risqué part of late night is gone and people aren't stuck watching shows based on airtime anymore.

I think the new hosts ARE the problem. They are too safe and they simply aren't funny. They are all alike and have the same point of view. A couple years ago we had a bit more variety with craig furgeson. But now it's all the same shit. None of these shows have charm

half of those aren't even airing right now while late night is on five days a week, if they weren't all populated by shit hosts i'm sure you'd be more appreciative of the medium.

way back when, the timeslot was used just for commercial and other useless shit. But some execs found they could make some show around it.

That's the point of DVR/Netflix.

You don't need to be finished with GoT because the last episode aired a week ago. You watch it late on DVR by definition. Netflix also releases shows a dozen eps at a time.
You aren't stuck with what is currently airing or the times they air, you watch them when you have time. So why watch some shitty late night show instead of an episode of a show that has the ability to pull in tons of prime time viewers?
Most people aren't NEETs who watch dozens of episodes a day.

The likes of Johnny Carson, Cavett, Letterman, Conan are over. Now its just Fallon having potato sack races with Kristen Wiig, a fat British boy singing in a car, and Colbert's unfunny politics. The late night interview forumla is dying a slooow slooooow death.

Just watch a spoof of the genre instead. Pic related, best show ever.

but everything netflix puts out gets watched within the week of release. the other shows get watched when they air or the day after so once a week. there's still a ton of time that people are watching tv that isn't taken by those weekly shows. the average american watches 5 hours a day and late night still has a place in that block we just need a better host to make it interesting again. there's a reason NBC is pretty happy with jimmy fallon even if >we think he's pretty boring.

late night shows are pretty much youtube content creators now

Will the inevitable death of late night talk shows usher in a new era of bad infomercials, lads?
>we live in a world where Chef Tony will get better ratings than Colbert did

So did he just end up going back to his old persona and schtick?

desu Colbert is still ten times better than Kimmel and Fallon.

did you see when he brought a mario speedrunner on the show? They are out of touch, the audience who watches that kind of stuff doesn't watch tv at all...

Conan is both entertaining and mostly apolitical.

that's a rarity, fucking "comics" can't go 5 seconds without getting left wing political now

but he's on cable.

Honestly, everyone has cable these days, but nobody really cares for late shows like these outside of main networks. particularly NBC and CBS, who dominate the field.

Conan stopped being relevant when he moved off of Network TV.

Craig Ferguson was one of the better remaining Late Night hosts but he decided to bow out with Letterman. And it's a shame that he couldnt get the Late Show, but on the other hand, its probably for the better. The Late Late show worked because it had that low budget feel to it, and was carried entirely by the Host's singular personality and self deprecating humor. ironically it sort of diminished from the humor when Craig got a bigger budget and started getting sidekicks like the robot skeleton and the horse. he stopped doing his skits, which were pretty funny.

>Kimmel
>funny

>8 different shows where an over-privileged, over-paid, unfunny Limousine-Liberal sits behind a desk and yells at the audience about how White Right-Wingers are at fault for everything wrong with the world

No way, who would have guessed that this was getting stale and overplayed?