This guy is a genius and this album is a masterpiece. Discuss it

This guy is a genius and this album is a masterpiece. Discuss it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1X9xF0NCs4o
encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site:genius.com rip pimp c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>mfw people hate on pretty sweet

I have nothing to contribute yet but I fully agree with your statement so I give it a bump.

I really didn't get this album on first listen and haven't listened since. Huge fan of Channel Orange and I do think he is a genius.

I only listen to Nikes and Nights from the album. Idk if I just need to give it another spin or what to really "get" its genius but I just wasn't feeling the pacing OR the vibe. 3 songs in felt like a long ass time to me.

If I loved this album what other ones should I check out?

actually since I have already forgotten how this album sounds for the most part, I'm gonna go ahead and re listen to it now and update the thread with my opinion, which is going to be pretty fresh except for nikes and nights, which I listen to frequently.

It's a slow album but it has it's beautiful moments

1. Nikes

wow, just wow. This songs never gets old. It just has such an ethereal feel coupled with the pounding drum break. Frank using a high pitch modulator, this sounds like heaven to me. Like I'm kneeling at an alter praying.

thanks senpai. I'm currently giving the album a second chance bc I like frank a lot. I'm gonna update my opinions on songs itt.

I'm gonna give you my story with Blonde maybe it inspires you to give it another chance. First listen day of release I was very underwhelmed, probably would of rated it a 7. Two listens later I was very intrigued and would have given it an 8. End of the year it was straight 10 and AOTY. Now I'd straight up say it's the best album of the decade. It's the definition of a grower. The critical scores reflect that as well, think the album was rated 4/5, 8/10 in general when it came out, but it ended up on top of all album of the year lists, despite many albums getting better initial reviews.
Listen to it again, pay attention to the details in the production, the details in the lyrics, the overall atmosphere. Frank has the rare ability of saying A LOT with very few words. Keep in mind that Frank spent almost 4 years on this, every detail that you hear is intentional and thought over, in terms of sound, placement, and emotional impact. Keep that in mind when you listen and you might get more out of it. But be prepared for multiple listens, each more rewarding than the last. I've listened to this regularly since it came out and it hasn't stopped getting better. Nikes and Nights are both great songs, but they are definitely the most accessible.

Good shit user, looking forward to updates. I'd say after it's done even listen to it again if you have the time desu

Did this immediately click with anyone? I felt it was 10/10 first listen although which tracks i enjoy most has changed over time

Channel Orange was far better. I bet you people also thing To Pimp a Butterfly also beats Good Kid Maad City kek

Fully agree, was kind of underwhelmed the first time listening to it. I had listened to Channel Orange and did like it but never got the Frank Ocean hype. After listening to this for a while it quickly became my AOTY, even now i don't think anything in 2017 will top it.

This album also helped me cross genres, i really only listen to hip hop and this album helped me cross over and listen to different genres

GREAT ALBUM 9.8 OUT OF 10 FOR ME
not a huge fan of godspeed

GKMC>TPAB
Blonde>Channel Orange

these are facts

2. Ivy

not feeling Frank's singing at all to open this track. The lyrics are cliche. I'm loving the over saturated and filtered guitar riff. This sounds like an extended interlude. It gets a little better as time goes on. I really like the ending, he's screeching at me with these heavily modulated vocals.

is there a lot of faggy shit on it? i aint trying to listen to a faggot sing about faggy shit an entire album, m'too edgy for that gay sshit

Post your ONE favourite song on Blonde so that we can all jerk off over its greatness since everyone has a different favourite. I start:
>Seigfried

kys fag

no
also eat a dick

3. Pink and White

Immediately affected by the opening of this track. It has an infectious happy vibe. Very much liking the guitar playing off the drums. A lot of these lyrics remind me of Channel Orange. I'm really digging this, it's got a groove to it, just building up to something. I like his lyrics "It's all downhill from here" I can relate haha. This track is pretty stellar. This is vintage Frank right here

white ferrari

>tfw 2 minutes of recorded oral sex
>tfw "i don't want a piece of your mind, just a piece of your ass"
>tfw male orgasm sound on the last track
still really good, i think you should give it a shot

4. Be Yourself

this is a funny interlude. I agree 100% with mom here. I hope Frank listens to her, but we all know he's not gonna listen. We all know he's gonna take the drugs too far and regret it later.

please pull your skirts down and take the dicks out of your asses. im not a faggot lover like you guys shit makes me uncomfortable so i don't wanna hear some guy singing about sucking dicks. im sure you guys love that shit but not me

lmao dude the next track is all about drugs. Fuck the whole album is. Frank manages to perfectly capture the modern lifestyle. Drugs are not even a gimmick anymore they're a part of the contemporary lifestyle, especially the one that Frank lives. Also the interlude hits home hard, cause I went to uni and made the same experiences.

Skyline to

5. Solo

Very sentimental vibe to open up this track. Frank is telling a vivid story. This sentimental vibe really builds up in intensity. You can tell Frank really feels torn up about what he's singing about, he's screaming aloud and rapping. Wow this track is really building up, he's really building up the suspense here telling this story and letting his emotions pour out. Frank is very anguished here. He's got a certain defiance to him. Once again a long build up but really no pay off

if u agree 100% with the mom i no longer care about your posts nor opinions

you actually have to be braindead to agree unconditionally with the mom

Next song was my favorite first listen

R&B is a boring genre and vaporwave is the only good thing to ever come out of it

6. Skyline To

I'm really feeling the vibe of the track here. It has this bubbling up underneath feel, but Frank smacks it down with his vocals. Very lush and filtered. Wow, this little break in the lyrics has some really interesting spacey vibes. Okay frank is back singing now, with that bubbling underneath vibe of the track. He's really just belting his tune "In comes the morning" just feels like sun rays.

>you actually have to be braindead to agree unconditionally with the mom

Wow, how dare she say drugs are bad, that dumb bitch!!

fuck you dude, I hope you never become a parent

but once you do, you'll outgrow this edgy phase you're in now

You can still appreciate the album, but I tell you straight away that you are not going to fully appreciate it if that's your view. A major part of the album's emotional impact is due to identification, if you don't share the lifestyle you miss out on a lot.

favourite album of the decade so far, i can't see anything topping it.

it's def a slow-burner but once it gets you you're gotten. just fucking beautiful, aching music.

7. Self Control

wow. I'm blown away by what he's doing here. He's using his voice modulation to contrast the deeper tones of his guitar. Very very nice. I love this vibe. Wow this might be my new favorite track on the album. This is just beautiful well done frank. I don't know who else is on this track, but he gets some help from his friend. He goes into this muted then unmuted refrain, it sounds like angels arriving out of the sky. Wow, the strings hitting with the vocals.

"I, I, I know you gotta leave" wow this part is very emotional. Frank is just a master of making powerful moments.

Future Free

8. Good Guy

he sits his vocals back in a filter to start off. Then some people are talking, fuck I missed this track it was over before it began.

mate you are as thick as they come, i completely agree with the mom saying you should be yourself and not act like something your not to fit in.
But i said UNCONDITIONALLY, when she goes on to talk about drug use it just shows how fucking stupid she is

i love good guy

>i know you don't need me right now
>and to you it's just a late night out

;__;

9. Nights

already a big fan of this. from the riff to the vocals and to the vibe, the first third of this song is just such a happy go luck feel. Then it switches to these layered synths which I guess symbolizes the sun setting over the horizon. But it really does feel like the sun is setting here, he doesn''t have to tell us, you can feel it. You can just hear the oranges and the pinks of a setting sun as he sings. "Been waiting on you all my life" just goddamn frank this is crazy. Then the riff comes in and builds up, then boom the beat switches. It''s nighttime now and the beat reflects that. The sweeping piano with the robotic drum work, hi hats rolling then that bass comes in. Frank has a much less conventional flow and it just fits. The vibe is dark and anxious, but the beauty of the piano keeps everything together. Perfect track frank.

Nights

10. Solo Reprise

this is the Andre 3000 feature. I like how he is just tearing into this woman who did him wrong. The beat cant' decide what it wants to do, it's either a meaningful piano ballad, but it has a moment where it switches to something aggressive and hip hop.

I always took it as the first part representing the night out, and the second part representing the day after.
>Every night fucks every day up
>every day patches the night up

11. Pretty Sweet

dang Frank sounds like he's trapped between two worlds here. He sounds like he is getting swept up in a tornado of sounds. The reverb is nuts here, this is like a vortex of sorts. He's calling down from above me and I can't really even discern the lyrics but this song is kinda scary. Okay the drums just kicked in and it did not make it any less scary. This is hectic like a tornado wow. I have no clue what the fuck frank is saying, this just sounds like he's having a terrible dream of sorts.

that makes more sense for sure, I always thought it was the other way around

12. Facebook Story

Some european guy is telling us about how he got catfished. I don't really feel bad for him

On this pink song and its awful as fuck

What are you even talking about

both statements are facts, i loved Channel Orange and listened to it regularly since its release, but I didn't realize he was such a genius until Blonde
fuck its such a great song, i hate seeing it at the bottom of lists. Those drums and synths are insane
Blonde>Channel Orange>Endless>nostalgia, ultra
TPAB>DAMN>GKMC>Section.80>untitled unmastered
Nights, used to be Self Control

13. Close to You

Holy shit this one starts out very strong. Frank sounds like a robotic choir. These drums are hitting me hard and fast. This is like what black churches are going to sound like in the year 2100. this is nuts. I really wish he fleshed this out more

yung lean on the hook

14. White Ferrari

This is the track that was inspired by the Beatles Here There and Everywhere. I really do like the vibe here. I can just envision Frank riding this car out on a foggy road in the hills of England near Liverpool and just crying over his broken heart as rain hits the windshield. This is a great track as a Beatles fan. Wow he really pours out his voice here, he's really torn up about this. You really gotta feel for a guy who pours so much out on his music over a broken heart. How can you break this man's heart?!

wow thanks, i really like Lean he is pretty cool.

15. Siegfried

wow he just starts out pouring his soul over a very foreboding instrumental. This is very introspective Frank, he's questioning everything here. "Maybe I'm a Fool" I am hearing this lyric a lot and it just hits me. I can really relate. The instrumentation really opens up with some guitar and string work. "I'd rather live outside" wow he might be losing it. I'm loving the build up of the strings here, it's just so beautiful and tragic at the same time. He's shouting out to someone and then starts rapping a poem in frustration. This is like trying to figure out Inception, Frank is really struggling to grasp the important things in his life, he's bringing up drugs (I don't think mushrooms are a bad drug for you)
"I'd do anything for you" wow his pain over this break up has really come on strong in these past two tracks. Who tf did this to my man frank? I'd like to meet that person and give them a word.

he didn't get catfished.

his girlfriend broke up with him because he didn't want to add her on facebook. his argument being 'i'm right here we don't need to be on facebook'. she gets jealous over nothing and finishes with him.

kind of a critique on people needing to be connected on social media rather than forming actual human relationships in person

16. Godspeed

The build up was nice here. synths are bubbling up and converging. Then Frank is belting a tune over a church organ. This sounds like a funeral of sorts. "Wishing you Godspeed, glory. There will be mountains you won't move." Frank is letting go of someone/something (maybe himself or an old version of himself?) This is like the Crack Music intro. The beat switches to a refrain and it sounds like omarion or ginuwine who is crooning over an 8 bit minecraft soundtrack. This is a great track it's very soulful

next to pyramids I believe this is the best song Frank ever wrote. Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead arranged the strings btw.

desu i agree with the girlfriend

if i was dating someone for 3 YEARS(3 YEARS) and they didnt add me on facebook i would be so fucking suspicious, that french guy was an idiot

this. The interlude is much more layered than is often assumed. The French guy is completely out of touch, culturally the girl has completely outlived him.
Also something that everyone misses is that this is completely subjective, it seems that he is covering something up. I mean how often do you hear a person who's been left say "it was my fault?"

i think the story was around the time facebook first came out, maybe he wasn't on it or didn't see the point in using it.

i can see her being suspicious if he is using facebook regularly and refuses to add her, but if he doesn't use it i don't see the harm.

the arrival of facebook sort of kick-started a mindset of "everything in my life should be documented or it didn't happen". the guy would rather just live in the moment with his girl right there.

oh wow that makes a lot of sense. who is this guy do you know? he makes a good point. I'm glad frank included the story, it really encapsulates this new modern age of love.

17. Futura Free

These pianos are just building as frank tells us "fuck these niggas, I'm gon let my nuts hang" I love his bravado here, it's refreshing after the last couple of tracks. This really feels like a new chapter for frank as he looks back on this album and reflects about the narrative. I love how he modulates his voices pitch. Now he has some thick autotune "They wanna murder me like Selina" wow powerful statement, wonder if he trusts his team after saying that. The drums come in and the piano is very uplifting. Frank is just namedropping legends casually like his life is so crazy now compared to when he was sleeping on Tyler's couch, now Jay Z is emailing/texting him. Wow you can tell he is really in awe of how much his life changed over these years. A vocal recording plays then silence, but the track is only halfway done.

(side note, I listened to this on spotify and had absolutely zero commercials, like wtf)

okay the song is back, with a conversation playing between two ppl and some light instruments in the back. This kinda sounds like kids hanging out laughing and shit, I wonder if it's Odd Future or something, or maybe some of Frank's childhood friends. They are all just having a good time. You can tell this was a good memory Frank had and wanted to share with us. I feel like an intruder of sorts for listening in on something so intimate, but at the same time it's necessary. It ties back the lyrics from earlier in the album "We aren't those kids anymore" and this album just clicks for me. I can totally see the narrative here coming full circle. I heard Tyler mentioned, so I'm thinking this is in fact Odd Future, but I'm still not sure. It just makes me think of my childhood friends and how carefree we were, and how much we all changed.

i believe it is a producer by the name of SebastiAn

alright this is my second full listening of the album, and I have to say I've gone a complete 180 on my verdict. I can't believe (and am ashamed) I didn't sit down and give this the proper listening it deserved. I'm completely in awe of this album and what it means in respect to Frank's life and how it captures this very modern gen Y/millennial experience. This guy really gets it. He really understands the struggles we go through across the board. The way drug culture is for us compared to our parents, the way the internet evolved and how it relates to our love life. The way breaking up these days is just as bad as it was for our parents. Looking back at our childhood friends and just thinking "We aren't those kids anymore." wow.

10/10 this album nearly has me in tears.

GUYS

Listen to the drums on the OG Seigfried

youtube.com/watch?v=1X9xF0NCs4o

it's actually an interview Frank's brother did. I find the interludes quite interesting actually, there is a common theme. The album is all about Frank and these are aside from the feature the only moments when he lets someone else give their perspective.

ignore the last link, this one's better

I've been following your listening since the beginning and I just wanted to tell you that you've barely scratched the surface. The next listens are going to be very rewarding for you I think. The real worth of the album shines once you get emotionally attached to it.

it's pretty bad. cringy. i'm not homophobic but he's pushy the boundaries of inflammatory so that his previous good stuff makes me want to puke. artists like him and kendrick need to get over themselves and make music instead of pandering themselves. 4/10

favorite track before doing this review: Nights

new favorite track: Self Control

i prefer the verse he does on the album to the drums here desu

will do senpai. I feel if I listen now and not focus on writing anything I will start to pick up the lyrics a little better. thanks for reading my review lol

hahahaha

Fantastic album to just throw on in the background and have a casual listen or to focus on completely and hear all the beautiful details and invest into the experience. fantastic either way.

agree 100%

phenomenal songwriter he is

literally bawling my eyes out listening to Futura Free thinking about how I've disappointmented my mom

this made me happy reading this. thanks user.

how deaf do you have to be to hear rip pepsi
it's almost a meme to say rip pimp c at this point

>disappointmented
Maybe she'd be more proud of you if you learned how to spell

Dreaming a thought that could dream about a thought
That could think of the dreamer that thought That could think of dreaming and getting a glimmer of God
I be dreaming a dream in a thought
That could dream about a thought
That could think about dreaming a dream
Where I can not, where I can not
Less morose and more present
Dwell on my gifts for a second
A moment one solar flare would consume, so I nod
Spin this flammable paper on the film's that my life
High flights, inhale the vapor, exhale once and think twice
Eat some shrooms, maybe have a good cry, about you
See some colors, light hangglide off the moon

Dude....whoa

>tfw thought he said RIP Pepsi until now

encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site:genius.com rip pimp c

okay honestly that part is pretty fake deep but that's one of the only weak spots in the entire album

One of those albums with so many beautiful corners. Feels so spaced out and expansive, in the best way. Can't really believe I thought it was dull when I first heard it.

bump because this album is incredible

Dude you have good taste! Pretty Sweet is actually a good song

I don't really think that Be Yourself is included for the sake of her talking down upon drugs as much as it is included for the "be yourself" aspect. Walking around campus I feel so pressured to be like other people. Frank is one of the only honest reminders you get in your life that you shouldn't pretend to be someone you're not to impress others.

Siegfried fosho.

>I couldn't gauge your fears
>I can't relate to my peers
mmmmmmffff.

I agree. You have a lot more good listens before you get the most out of this album. There will be so many tears.

I was actually triggered when Fantano had it as his least favorite track on the album. It's like he didn't even listen to it.

Dummy

Stick to Billboard Top 40 singles

Yeasss

fuck fantano

same

>good guy
so understated and pretty

its actually austin fienstein, yung lean is on godspeed

2bh the initial impulse being to shrug off the message works really well
it's from one of his friends' mom who he's close with, he's not trying to deride her and the message probably didn't start there either

i probably listen to blonde 1ce or 2wice a week