Does anxiety as a mental illness actually exist...

Does anxiety as a mental illness actually exist? Its a thing thats now commonly spread throughout society but scientifically has it been proven or even properly well studied in neurology etc ? Also what do you guys think about it in general ? Soond

Other urls found in this thread:

med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2009/12/brain-scans-show-distinctive-patterns-in-people-with-generalized-anxiety-disorder-in-stanford-study.html
psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2013/05/22/the-origins-of-anxiety/
psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mindful-self-express/201304/become-the-ceo-your-own-brain-in-six-easy-steps
psychologytoday.com/articles/200609/mastering-your-own-mind
sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160913115759.htm
apa.org/monitor/jun06/psychotropic.aspx
apa.org/monitor/jan08/elephant.aspx
psychcentral.com/lib/what-to-do-when-youre-mad-at-your-therapist/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think it does, but like depression, everyone claims to have it, so they can get sympathy.

F41.1 General Anxiety Disorder

this

noone has the same DNA as another, why would thought patterns be carbon copy duplicates?

its only logical to assume that with the shear number of neurons and synapses that it would be totally possible that some people could actually believe in space reptiles taking the time to take over the bodies of government officials, or to see shit that isnt there, or to think non-sequitur thoughts that fill them with dread

i try not to judge others on just how fucking daft they are, but hey

Yes, I have no doubt.
I can't prove it, other than my personal experience.

>Be me, 5 years ago
>At work, normal bullshit IT stuff
>Coming back from lunch with a co-worker
>2 nondescript guys stop and ask, "Are you user?"
>"Yes." People ask for me, so NBD.
>"We're with the FBI. And we're serving you with a subpoena to appear before a Federal Grand Jury"
>Showed me badges and I'd, it's legit.
>Apparently had an "Oh, fuck what did I do look."
>Agent says, "Don't worry, you're not under investigation."
>Somewhat relieved.
>"And, if it'd be easier, you can meet with the US Attorney and us instead"
>More relieved.

To Be Continued...

Consult DSM

Faster faggot ~desu

There are most definitely mental illnesses, ever heard of mentally retarded people? Some don't even know how to dress themselves. And then you have those who constantly hallucinate and hear voices.

Continuing:

>I call the US Attorney's office, schedule to meet a day or two later.
>No real anxiety at this point, not being under investigation and all, but we'll get to that
>I meet with the US Attorney, FBI, and our local District Attorney.
>Go over some E-Mails that I gave a department head from two women he later fired, that's what they're investigating.
>After the meeting, all seems well.
>A week or so passes, my boss calls me in, we've received a subpoena for backups, files, etc. regarding this department head.
>Subpoena has a deadline.
>OK, I'll start right now.
>I find out that the data is more abundant than I originally thought.
>I go to my boss, he says he'll talk to FBI agents (Same two guys that served me.) and take care of it.
>OK, great, this is going to take a long time.
>Heading to men's room one day, meet Agent in the hall.
>"user, That date's firm. It needs to be met"
>My boss never told me this.
>Now, I'm under the gun, bad.

To be continued...

Femanon here. When i was 12, my parents went to a church reunion in Oregon for 4 days and left me home alone. They thought it was an oppurtunity for me to act more "mature." I had a dog (half rottweiler,half siberian husky) named rosco who was getting a reputation for humping random things aruond my house. My parents liked him outside but i let him inside cause i was home alone and was gonna do whatever the hell i wanted. i take a shower and walk back to my room naked cause i felt like it. I COMPLETELY forget he's in the house and he rushes up to me, tackles me, and starts humping away like crazy.

Jeep going

Anyone else not understand John Cena?

Like, come come all he has to do is wave his hand infront of his face, and then people cant see him? Surely if this were the case he wouldn't appear on camera and the WWE would have a nightmare filming him. If I were Vince and a wrestler came up to me and said he wanted to join up but he would do all the fighting whilst invisible I'd tell him to fuck off because its probably just some chode excuse to slack off the job.

Continuing:

>So I start working on this subpoena day and night, literally hundreds of gigs of data, due to changed files etc going back years.
>Starts to get to where I'm not even sleeping, because I HAVE to get this done.
>Going on a month and a half overall, about 3 weeks working on the subpoena.
>This has taken over my life, I can't sleep, I can't eat, if I do fall asleep, it's with my laptop next to me in bed.
>This goes on for about a week and a half.
>Co-worker and friend sees what's happening, and is helping as he can, but I keep him at arm's length because I need to know just what's done and not done.
>We gain nothing if we duplicate work.
>Thanksgiving, 2011.
>I haven't been sleeping, passing out if I'm lucky.
>Have an hour drive to my cousin's house
>Driving with my parents, the whole time thinking about how I'm not working on the subpoena.
>Whole time at my cousin's.
>Whole drive back
>Parents can see what's going on, but don't want to distract me, either.
>Keep going through the long weekend.
>Finally realize I can't keep doing this.
>Monday, go to my friend.
>"user, I can't keep doing this, I need you to.
>"No problem."
>Go see my boss, tell him what's been going on and that Amin's going to take over.
>"No problem."

To be concluded...

not a mental illness, just a troll in your brain that fucks with you

You're not anxious. You're just a horny dogfucker. Chapter two please?

It's contagious for the weak minded. Everyone feels anxious but some let it get the best of them. My gf was fine till she started hanging out with some fat bitch who has "anxiety" issues. For awhile my gf would hav "panic attacks" and other attention whore buzz word problems. Now fatty moved away and I continued on with my Sup Forums style brainwashing and the "anxiety" disappeared. ¿Am I saying people don't have issues with it? No, but most cases it's all in your head and you need to wipe the cum off your pussy and get over it.

OP its whats cautiously referred to in the medical world as "faggots" either grow pair or fucking kill yourself faggot 2 options.

this is some cornyass shit from a canadian version of seinfeld or something

this sounds like a horrible experience

hey girl, femanon here! you have no idea how awesome it is to have small boobs!! you can wear those cute little bralettes, and you dont have back issues. youre not going to have suuuper saggy tits when you grow older, and you can sleep comfy on your tummy. optimism is key. it took me along time to learn to love my chest *b cup* but i finally accepted it and the guys ive slept with have never complained, they just suck away! remember, youre not going to please everyone in this world. youre always gonna meet some people who judge you, be it your boobs or whatever. If you want a boob job and it will genuinely make you feel more confident, go ahead! just make sure youre doing it for YOU!!

OP you are really a dumbass. First off, you assume everyone is so bad. Let me point out your flaws. First, you said you were pretty much perfect. If that were so, you wouldn't brag about it, you would be humble and not attempt to gain attention from "no-life’s who spend every second of their day looking at stupid ass pictures." Second, you said we do nothing else than look at things on Sup Forums and the internet. There again you are wrong retard. I in fact only go on Sup Forums when i have absolutely nothing else to do. I (and I assume at least several others on here) have friends. By assuming that we are all people with no lives you once again prove your idiot ways to us- you cannot grasp a concept that people with lives can also use the internet. Third, if you are trying to prove to Sup Forums that you are perfect, at least type properly. "but you all take to a whole new level." You forgot a fucking 2 letter word. Fourth, A's are not that hard to get in high school dumbass. It's not a sign of intelligence, but an ability to listen. Good job for using something that everyone can do. Go to /sci/ and get your mind raped by some actual intelligence. There you go; I just wanted to you about how wrong you really are. With all honesty, I really don't give a shit what you say only wrote this because it’s fun as hell to rant to dumbasses. Next time, go tell someone who actually cares.
PS. I saw that pic on Google images and it most definitely isn't you faggot.

Most people who claim to have it are liars or over exaggerating. I, however, have been diagnosed professionally and suffer daily because of it.

I can't make eye contact with anyone, except for those I know or people I have to interact with, without experiencing heart palpitations and getting light headed. I haven't started a conversation with a stranger since middle school probably, and I'm a college student now. It's almost impossible for me to make friends, and I'm struggling to hold onto my high school ones.

Every day is horrible for me, because of this. I have no control over it.

Correction on previous post
>I don't work with Amin, should have been user

Conclusion:
>So after getting this subpoena off my plate, things only get a little better.
>I'm sleeping better, but still not well
>I feel like I bailed and threw my friend under the bus on this.
>He disagrees, it's a huge pain, but he saw what it was doing to me.
>Still not eating like I should either.
>Don't want to be alone
>Bad thoughts.
>Maybe I should An Hero.
>Common sense and having had a friend do that prevent that.
>We're into December now, and I have to use my time off or lose it.
>I'd rather be at work than off.
>I've got other things to think about at work rather than my failure.
>Finally, I come to the realization that this isn't right.
>I need to see a psychiatrist, ASAP.
>Get a recommendation from our family Dr for a local practice.
>Call and make an appointment for "As soon as he can see me"
>Go to the appointment, explain everything that's gone on.
>He had concerns about me thinking about An Heroing, but can tell my logic was sound and I wasn't going to go through with it.
>Diagnosis was Major Depressive Disorder and Chronic Anxiety.
>Gave me Klonopin for the anxiety and Effector XR for the depression.
>Took the first dose of Klonopin that night, and my head cleared for the first time in almost 3 months.
>Effexor took longer, because it had to build up in my brain, so I still had to keep busy.
>Fortunately, my father has the same thing, so we didn't have to figure out what medication, we just put me on what works for him.
>Haven't stopped taking either of the pills, and am generally good.
>I have ups and downs, but normal ones.

>Does anxiety as a mental illness actually exist?
Generalized anxiety disorder yes.
> Its a thing thats now commonly spread throughout society but scientifically has it been proven or even properly well studied in neurology etc ?
>neurology
Stanford did a study a while back you should check it out.
>med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2009/12/brain-scans-show-distinctive-patterns-in-people-with-generalized-anxiety-disorder-in-stanford-study.html

As for what I think about it. As someone who went to school for psychology and has a degree in Developmental Psychology I know it's a real mental illness but everyone wants to self diagnose nowadays.
Every kid with a problem blames it on some mental illness that they think they have. It's kinda like being a hypochondriac except for your brain instead of your body. They find out something trivial in a backwoods article from some unknown journalistic community saying they might have some mental illness and just like that they've made a self diagnosis. Many people as well take online tests to try to self diagnose but that is even worse as you can notice the patterns in the questions and pick the correct ones for the outcome you want. Actual testing is much more subtle as we don't want the person catching on to what we're doing especially when dealing with psychotic disorders.

Anxiety disorders come from our ancient ancestors and is a carry over from having to be paranoid about our surroundings. People with anxiety disorders tend to be "on edge" all the time when it's really just that they're so alert that their mind is overwhelmed by everything that's going on. They notice the change in sounds around them, light, shadows and everything in between. Taking in all this information of our busy world at once can be very overwhelming mentally.

>psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2013/05/22/the-origins-of-anxiety/

Yeah, it was not good

>Femanon here

Hmmmmm
TITS or GTFO

I think it's vastly over-reported, usually as an excuse to get free stuff (government handouts, sympathy, free pass from employers etc.)

That said, I had a bout of insomnia last year that nearly ended my career. I would go to bed at night anxious that I wouldn't sleep properly ... so of course I didn't. Next day I would be a useless retard, incapable of driving to work or concentrating on anything.

So yes, I guess I had a real problem, even if it sounded fucking stupid to everyone I mentioned it to. You can't just choose not to worry, because you have an unconscious mind that doesn't take orders like that. Nobody can be in complete control of their own head (in fact, psychologists like Jung insist on it.)

>I had a bout of insomnia last year that nearly ended my career. I would go to bed at night anxious that I wouldn't sleep properly

i have somewhat that problem. i can't turn my mind off to get to sleep. it just keeps going, thinking about work, or any other thing i happen to have on my mind. hell, sometimes it's a song that gets stuck in my head. i just can't turn my brain off to sleep. doc gave me sleep medicine they prescribe to everyone these days, ambien or something like that. it turned me into a lunatic, so i stopped taking that immediately. every night about a half hour before bed, i now take 2 or 3 benedryls and 15-20 mg of meletonin. puts me down most times but god, it's like a zombie trying to climb up out of quicksand in the morning.

No it doesn't.

It's an excuse used by weak people to justify their weakness.

This is next level low copy pasta

I've suffered from anxiety almost my entire life

My wife suffers from anxiety and ptsd and it sucks.

Before you start, she was at ground zero when the second plane hit the tower. She's been diagnosed and all that, not some self diagnosed bullshit.

She describes it as an intense feeling of dread. It interrupts her ability to make good decisions and act on them. She takes medication and it helps a lot, without some form of meds she would be in a hospital.

People are different and react to traumatic events differently. Threre's no good or bad there, it is what it is.

Mental illness is a meme. People talk about it like it's cancer or something, even going so far as to drugging themselves up just to feel 'normal'. Shit is fucked up. Just completely fucked up.

>Nobody can be in complete control of their own head
Not true.
>psychologists like Jung insist on it
Yeah but modern day psychology is about more than how to label a condition. We also have to be aware of the therapeutic uses of psychology when applied to counseling and therapy where one is taught to become the master of their own mind.
Here's a couple articles you can read on it.
>psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mindful-self-express/201304/become-the-ceo-your-own-brain-in-six-easy-steps
>psychologytoday.com/articles/200609/mastering-your-own-mind

I once had to call in scared to work.

I told them "I'm afraid I ain't gonna make it to work today"

Then they wanted to know why. So i told them my truck wouldn't start. It wasn't a lie, my truck wouldn't start. Mainly because i wasn't in it.

Thank you, Thank you. I'll be here all week

Are you me? Because our situations seem identical.

i self medicate with vodka. works for me.

Bush did 911

I'll send him her medical bills!

It actually exist.
I am extremely sensetive to stress, always have been and probably always will be.
I have never fainted from my anxiety, but it fucks up my life if i have any stress in it what so ever.
I nearly fainted in a grocery store once because it was on christmas, so everyone around me was stressed, that stressed me out and i just say down on the floor not to faint.
School is out of the question at this moment and working is difficult.
If only i could smoke weed legally. It's the only thing that have actually worked for me.

I feel like going to college stoned makes my anxiety a bit more apparent than usual, or maybe its just being stoned lul

>Bush did 911
i find it so amusing how Bush could be such a moronic idiot and at the same time an evil genius depending on what bullshit the left wants to blame him for. truth is, he was a half ass Bush president like his dad. but thank god he was president, otherwise we'd have been stuck with that asshole Gore. jesus, can you imagine the damage that fucknuts would have done.

>Not true.
When you can create your own dreams, get back to me.

Not saying you can't gain some control over neurosis (e.g though cognitive behavioural therapy), but there's a hell of a lot going on in your head that you aren't even aware of. And you can't have complete control without complete awareness.

>If only i could smoke weed legally. It's the only thing that have actually worked for me.

Don't rely on a substance to be the magic in a bottle you need to get well. Psychotropics of any kind whether they be herbal or artificial should never be used as a permanent solution.
>sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160913115759.htm

You should always look to couple your psychotropics with therapy NOT cut it out.
Meds help you cope then you learn to live.
>apa.org/monitor/jun06/psychotropic.aspx

I'm not saying that someone can get full control in fact quite the opposite but using dreams for your foundation of the argument coupled with subconscious unawareness is just contrite.
What about emotion management therapy?
What about chemical therapy?
ECT? DBT?

We're not saying you're going to get FULL control of everything in your brain but we can help you to get a grasp on what you can.

Now when people fight with their therapist and reject the therapeutic relationship. Transference is a huge problem when giving anyone any kind of advice. When a client takes something personally or rejects the method of therapy because they "think they know better" is when therapy stops working and people regress.
Here's a couple articles on it.
>apa.org/monitor/jan08/elephant.aspx
>psychcentral.com/lib/what-to-do-when-youre-mad-at-your-therapist/

We all need to remember when asking for advice from a therapist or another member of the psych. community that we know how to help you. You're not some special snowflake we haven't seen before. We don't get anything out of hurting you. We only want to help you get better.

STOP FUCKING FIGHTING US YOU UNGRATEFUL ASSHOLES!

Yes i agree it is contageous if you linger around mentally ill people. Its the same as if you linger around Depressed or uneducated people, and you will uninvetable become depressed, or manage to cure the others (which is mostly not the case). I experienced it myself... i was exposed to toxic people who were very childish(when i was younger, i kinda thought this is normal how most people interact), at some point i took over that behaviour patterns, became depressive had a mental breakdown, and am now slowly recovering after 5 wasted years of Hedonism. I literally learned how to act dumb since my childhood, i was always questioning things and people gave me shit about, especially my parents. So i learned to play dumb and wear a mask of playing dumb, because if i wouldnt be dumb people disliked me. The people I grew up with weren't able to handle the truth properly. Sooo what now? now im living from Wellfare trying to recover from the suffering. It is shockingly depressing if you realize you have huge potential for any certain kind of things, but anything in the upper class disrespects you because your social competence is shit. I am litterally refusing to attend at this kind of shit society, the only thing left, i can actually try to do and learn is some artistic kind of shit. Because all those Monstrosities, those mental chimeras that believe they are true human(in a spiritual meaning) without having even a proper counsciousness running around ripped away my mental legs and arms.