/daily/ - Medium rare chicken strips edition

daily /thread/

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>templates/listenalong schedules
dailymu-sic.weebly.com/

>discord
discord.gg/8exuEmG

Previously, on /daily/: →

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/j1cyhbt4
clyp.it/hmesah0a
mega.nz/#!QRN2SICB!N8PswxSRXq3g-9_iiNae-lSchMhi8oCDulW-94croTM
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ayuo___ohta_hiromi/red_moon/
youtube.com/watch?v=02yzKhM9mzI
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/christine_groult/lheure_alors_sincline___/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sam-prekop/sam-prekop/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/kahimi_karie/nunki/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/椎名林檎/加爾基-精液-栗ノ花-kalk-samen-kuri-no-hana/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ytamo/mi_wo/
youtu.be/mvPIvoJkmGs
terribleterribleterrible.tumblr.com/post/159887509375
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

n

/daily/ was a mistake

No replying allowed this thread, only memes.

can't reach 310 fast enough

okay got it

ok

s m h

I made two bullshit things for some fake power electronics thread last night and I have nowhere to put them

glitchy generative shit
clyp.it/j1cyhbt4

distorted glitchy pads
clyp.it/hmesah0a

Epic thread guys reply to this post or your taste is worse than dogwander's (!)

but mine really is worse than dogwander's

but my taste IS worse than dogwander's

but it is

LISTENALONG

Ayuo / Ohta Hiromi - Red Moon

>Avant-Folk, Psych Folk, From Tzadik's New Japan Series

download:
mega.nz/#!QRN2SICB!N8PswxSRXq3g-9_iiNae-lSchMhi8oCDulW-94croTM

RYM:
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ayuo___ohta_hiromi/red_moon/

Haha good mene

Holy shit saved

rod has the weirdest and possibly best taste of anyone in this general

plz everybody knows Torts is the miff master taste maker supreme.

Oc memes on stale subjects will give the thread vital nutrients to stay alive

you give eric way too much meme mileage

youtube.com/watch?v=02yzKhM9mzI

any of y'all listen to this album? what do you think of it?

Helloooooo hellooooo i am calling for the good 2017 records to come out of the shadows

This but that is a really damn good meme
Eric would be my least favorite trip on these threads by far but he made sky simplified so :shrug:

Sky thinkified

i would rec gas but you panned pop so :0

>you panned pop
>a 5+ / 10 constitutes as a fucking pan in the daily threads
i dont know what to do with my life anymore

alrightalright you did not outright enjoy pop

If I rec you an EP will you listen to it right now, it's 18mins

here you go, this is my fav album from the year so far.

2017 has been pretty weak tho desu senpai.

wait no, that's actually the worst album from 2017 so far

:%) shh don't tell anybody

lit

Who to trust

Okay..... whats the ep

>Who to trust
Trust me just don't look at my RYM account before you listen to the entire album pls.

: )

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/christine_groult/lheure_alors_sincline___/

Started with the second chart
Despite everyone hating on the current year (just like every year) I'm quite satisfied with 2017 so far

I've been so disappointed in 2017 so far that my top 10 from 2017 doesn't even have a single album on it yet.

Halp plz :|

hm idk, not sure about you taste
you've heard Pas Pire Pop right?
other than that maybe Tiny Hazard - Greyland or new Depeche Mode?

I am sorry

oh its not from 2017
but ok i trust this label they released a good eliane radigue ep so im downloading it rn

eh i could use a really shitty album to listen to sometime

you could fit that into any taxxon album

would any album fit better than sky simplified though

I grabbed it from my library because it was filed beside that Radigue EP and looked sweet; I actually like it more. Listened to it like 3 times in the last day, I'm 87% sure you'll like it.

>one of the bonus tracks is in the middle of the tracklisting

>Different releases of the same album have different track listings

>Hans Appelqvist - Swimming Pool

I liked some of the solo piano bits, but this is overall the worst version of r plus 7 I've heard so far. Really awfully mixed and uninspired MIDI arrangements that just did nothing for me, especially in the first half.

4/10

oops, left my trip off from when i was memeing in another thread. its back now

hwere is
>music that sounds bad not on purpose but sounds like it's on purpose

liturgy the ark work?

>doesn't like the Orange Milk rec

I've liked other orange milk, this one was disappointing though

hmm

>xxxtentacion
>lil peep
also, general Sup Forums question
why the hate on vaporwave?
newfag reporting in

it works really well in this case though

>album has the exact same songs as another album just in a different order

What did he mean by this

It's kind of a stale genre that peaked like five or six years ago and has become kind of memey since a bunch of nerds jumped on the bandwagon simply because they thought the references to outdated technology were cool.

seems like it's called absolutely free for a reason

yeah because it's free. You don't even have to pay for it zappa just gave away copies. If you try to charge money for it the Zappa Family Trust(tm) will sue you. No lie look it up.

update time
>Djwwww & Mc Play-station - *'~ 僕らのFANTASY *゚+.。:;+.:;。+゚* vs heat wave - I'm fuckin you tonight

my absolute favorite matchup based solely on titles is a totally weird one. Im Fuckin You Tonight is sort of an eccojams copycat that does its job less effectively and with less looping. maybe its more like screw in that respect. either way, nothing standout about it. *'~ 僕らのFANTASY *゚+.。:;+.:;。+゚* is some next-level shit though. the playstation 2 sound opening, the fucking voiceover samples and the video game music, it sort of expressed to me what i think the point of this type of music is: distortion and reappropriation of genuine culture into other culture, a giant collage of niche existences. really good.

rod advances! thanks for playing Blapp

Post-avant jazzcore is INDEED better than progressive dreamfunk

now I hope I win this so I can go up against rod

holy fuck i actually won.
check out more from the label that came out on if you liked that (wasabi tapes). it all gives off a similar vibe.

I just realized I recced my album with good friend rodriguez in mind when I actually don't know your taste at all

so uh
take a look at Klein - Only if you want the R&B version of PC Music

and shit

yeah that's been on my radar for a few weeks.
i forger are you into pc music?

i like angular guitars and reverb :)

I guess you might like this then cus there's a lot o reverb for sure

Only just recently got into some of their stuff, biggest being easyFun and Danny L Harle
Mostly because I read something like "Hover Traps" by Rustie pretty much represented the sound of PC Music

Where do I start with French pop?

(i actually had already heard the heat wave record before and thought it was p good)
i've been obsessed with gfoty recently. if you want to start on her, listen to her mixes in chronological order, ending with call him a doctor.

France

yelle - pop up

GFOTY's parts of PC Music Vol I and II were my least favorite parts, because they really take the idea behind PC Music further into "uncomfortable" than the other artists, I think. GFOTY really is "ironic" music-- in being knowingly drivel, having tons of unappealing attributes, all while maintaining its Pop aesthetic (and attracting people that actually like the music without knowledge of the label it came from!).

but cool ill start with VDAYMIX

>GFOTY really is "ironic" music
nooooooooo
gfoty is not a character as much as it is a state of mind to polly.
gfoty is a spiteful being who will not accept anything not currently in its mentality. crushes from its youth are casually obsessed over, boiled down into a disgusting corruption of the only music it knows.
gfoty is a critical body, but it is all manifested from a place that rests inside the main being.
in other words, it's not ironic, but it is bloated and warped to hell.

that interpretation is valid

but some of this stuff I'm hearing from them really is awful to listen to even with that in mind like holy hell what is this song about caressing cock

>what is this song about caressing cock
excellent. excellent is what it is.

What are some albums like Jim O'Rourke's chamber pop stuff?

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sam-prekop/sam-prekop/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/kahimi_karie/nunki/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/椎名林檎/加爾基-精液-栗ノ花-kalk-samen-kuri-no-hana/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ytamo/mi_wo/

damn, i had a feeling u wouldn't dig it. oh well

youtu.be/mvPIvoJkmGs

Karlheinz Stockhausen / Aloys Kontarsky / Harald Bojé / Rolf Gehlhaar / Johannes G. Fritsch performing Karlheinz Stockhausen (1970)
>electroacoustic, stochastic music

An altered version of a previous Stockhausen piece in honor of Beethoven's 200th birthday, in which various tape collages are interspersed with distant radio performances of Beethoven pieces, it's really damn cool. Stockhausen's collages aren't his greatest work, but they're still done wonderfully and they probably make up his weirdest work, and that's saying something. The small Beethoven interjections make the piece. I'm not sure how if I'd like it as much, but with these samples it's a bizarre, distant piece that's pretty damn wonderful.

3.0+

!!!
terribleterribleterrible.tumblr.com/post/159887509375

Just got back from Acid Mother's Temple. Shit was otherworldly.

As a special bonus one of the openers was a band made of half the members of Candy Claws and they played a bunch of songs from Ceres and Calypso. I was not expecting it at all, so it was even cooler than it already was.

The Juju - Exchange (2017)
>jazz fusion

Smooth as silk jazz fusion with a lot of funk/hip hop influence. Nico Segal's trumpet playing takes the spotlight, and he's damn good, he injects a lot of power into the sound that the other instrumentalists really don't bring. The songs are alright, a lot simpler than I'd like my fusion to be and still a bit too much like Segal's work with the Social Experiment for my tastes (i.e., too damn much poppy funk), but the pure fusion stuff here is great, it's a smooth take on the genre that I've never really heard before and it's done well.

2.5+

Show Me the Body - CORPUS I (2017)
>industrial hip hop, noise rock

More or less the same beat repeated over and over again with increasingly bored-sounding vocalists. The basic beat is alright, but they try and slam waaaaay too many ideas into one mixtape, and fucking NOTHING works together. The simpler tracks end up being the best, "In a Grave" bangs, because the beat is nice and Denzel Curry is awesome, but pretty much every other vocalist besides Curry is just trash. Mal Devisa is alright, but I wish she showed up more, and despite her and Curry's turns the sheer presence of someone like Babyglock, the real-life version of the "Just 2 Guyz" skit the Lonely Island does, negates any positive qualities this mixtape can have. Ignore how alluring the genres may be, this is pretty damn bad.

0.5+

ALRIGHT LETS START

Diana Ross - Diana (1980)
>disco

Yeah, this sure is a halfway decent disco album released after disco hit it's prime with no elements that I like about disco. I didn't really expect much more, but this is a pretty damn bland album. It's strengths lie in Ross' natural charisma as a vocalist (seriously, she's phenomenal) and the joyous "I'm Coming Out", but the rest is pretty bland. Not bad, just really, really bland. I love disco and this is pretty middling even to me.

2.0-

jesus how long has it been?

gah damn i'm jealous

how does he do it
woops
this will be done tomorrow

83% of what makes blumfeld great is the lyrics just fyi

would I get the same experience if I look up translations?

New Gorillaz is a DamonAlbarnSideProject/10

lots of interesting collab choices but nothing pops out

and Albarn hides his voice behind the Feel Good Inc. filter at all times, which is really stupid

also the rip that's going around has some really irritating amp buzzing in the background, very obvious on some tracks like Andromeda and Sex Murder Party

well, the delivery is spoken or pretty much spoken a lot of the time. actually idt they benefit the music a whole lot, or that the music benefits them. so probably yeah

alright I'll try and read along to some translations when I'm listening then

too long

Taking a break from math homework to write some short, shitty reviews.

>Ricardo Villalobos - Alcachofa
Y'all shleepin' on this I swear. People rave about Easy Lee, but that's not even the best track on here. That'd have to go to Dexter for sure. The only track I really didn't care for was the closer, Fools Garden. This extremely skeletal version of Microhouse appeals to me so much more than the highly produced, kind of bloated versions like Immunity. For sure not gonna be everyone's thing, but I loved it.

>Kevin Drumm - Sheer Hellish Miasma
Astounding. Hands down one of the best pure-noise albums that exists out there. I was sort of turned of by the opening track, which seems really unfitting from the rest of the album in retrospect. One of the best-executed noise albums ever, and I enjoyed it much more than Imperial Distortion (jump-scare, the album).

>Sun Ra and His Hoes - Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy
It's fuckin' Sun Ra, bitch. The playing/note choice/form is all here, but I can't help but feel a lot of this is much more skeletal than from what I've enjoyed in his catalog. "Moon Dance" is easily one of the dude's best tracks, and yet "Voice of Space" is just...boring. Really adventurous, but not exactly what I'm looking for in this kind of music.

>Metá Metá - MM3
Yeah okay I fucks with it. Legit and unique idk what else to say about it. Pulls off so many styles so well, I guess I just thought a few tracks were a little iffy.

Worst review ever holy shit.

1/2

>Jeff Mangum - Live at Jittery Joe's
SHUT THAT FUCKING BABY UP.

Not surprised that I liked this a lot. The recording is shotty, sure, but I think it suits NMH's songs really well. If it were just Jeff talking about stuff that might be interesting, but there's far too much crowd banter and CRYING BABIES (the worst sound ever. If someone made an album of crying baby sounds I would rate that shit to a 0 faster than the speed of light). His cover of "I Love How You Love Me" is incredible. In fact, the entire album is super consistent in quality. Anyone who says they don't like NMH is lying idc.

>Cyrus - Inversion
The A-side kicks so much ass but you know this. The B-side would be okay if it were like a fifth of the length, otherwise it's pretty bad.

>チャラン・ポ・ランタンと愉快なカンカンバルカン - ただ、それだけ。
The hell? This is really energetic, catchy carabet/polka from japan. It has a lot of incredible track on it, but I really feel like the energy gets tiring and old after a bit.

>ဦးဘသန်း - Basic Method in Music Volume 1
Was really looking forward to liking this, but really it just didn't appeal to me that much. Everything was kind of dull and too long. Oh well.

>Talk Talk - London 1986
Worse renditions of songs I'm not even huge on in the first place. They should've done songs from when they actually made good music. That'd be cool.

>Tiger Trap - s/t
Nah. I thought this was going to convert me to twee or something but it hasn't happened yet dawg. It's "noisey" sure, but I feel like this is just a consequence of production and not really planned that way. Nothing really special imo.

What next?

otis g johnson