Greatest album of all time?

ITT: Post what you think is the greatest album of all time, and we debate

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5hAQhuAlf0M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I fucked so much to this album.

While maybe not my favorite, Black Saint And The Sinner Lady is the pinnacle of music as an art form

This is just the one album where I think there isn't a single wasted second.

>Ahead of its time
>Influential
>Holds up today extremely well
>Perfect balance between experimentalism and punk barn-burners
>One of the most unique and exciting vocalists in the history of rock

If someone can name a flaw, I would be happy to debate.

I'm probably not the best person to speak on this, I dont listen to a lot of jazz. This album was good but didnt seem particularly special or transcendent to my ears.

sometimes I think back on this album and I'm like "was it really that good?" but then I listen to it again and fucking yes it was. such a good album

A Love Supreme literally invented a genre of music
>Spiritual Jazz.
Nobody can top this desu.

Sub genre or whatever those faggot kids say nowadays.

Lots of albums have invented genres. Is Master of Reality unbeatable because it invented doom metal?

i would definitely consider
as worthy contenders though

>Is Master of Reality unbeatable because it invented doom metal?
Yeah. i don't see many Metal albums topping it.

To me, there's nothing above it.

>Yes you, who must leave everything that you cannot control
>It begins with your family, but soon it comes around to your soul

A genre? One genre? That's it? Moondog's first record invented ever popular music genre under the sun.

this

>le funky black man soul sex music
Sup Forums is an incel safe zone. Fuck off.

>sex music
lol what

Well if you invented a sub-genre of a sub-genre in Jazz that must make you the best.

name?

you don't bang chicks during "Save the Children"?

its in the filename but the album is the Modern Dance by Pere Ubu

My favourite is Disintegration but pic related is what I would consider the "greatest."

Also great

I'm not sure I've ever witnessed such a fruedian slip into a celibates' nightmare like this.

Anyways, I love MG but i'm not quite convinced he's on the level of Migus or Coltrane

Also

Every single song a masterpiece.
Of course some of them sound slightly dated today (because New Jack Swing is dated), but they are non the less great.

The ballads aren't great

Correct

What a good thread so far.

Well there can't be 3 correct ones now can there

no debates though..

impossible to choose the "best of all time" but this one is the first that came to my mind

lol RYM teen as fuck

your posting name is literally godard too haha

Oh yes, definitely a great album, my personal favourite of them. Every song has a unique feel to it.

Have to respectfully disagree, for example Gone Too Soon is a great ballad. Of course, his later albums like Invincible had better ballads, but Dangerous is just the perfect mix for me.

I don't think that's possible. My favourite album is Either/Or, but I can't call it objectively the greatest because a lot of my enjoyment of it is derived from my subjective interpretation of the lyrics, and the general atmosphere, which is intended by the artist. Even with my favourite jazz album Love In Us All my enjoyment of the theme has a big effect. You can't separate yourself from the music and thinking otherwise is delusional.

With that being said, I think Love Supreme is undeniably a highly influential album and amazingly creative, so I have no issue with it being considered the best by people even though I don't personally enjoy much it (and I prefer My Favourite Things).

Music always has a subjective element. For me, the balance heavily leans to subjectivity, subjectivity is an important factor for me in judging music.

This also doesn't mean I can't discuss my subjectivity either, because intersubjectivity is a thing. People are often going to hold subjective feelings that are apparently comparable to mine even if they're not the same feelings.

According to Rollingstone

>ITT: Post what you think

This is probably one of the greatest albums in the Hip Hop genre. I think its underrated

I'm curious how you could pick that over The College Dropout, which completely changed the direction of both hip hop production and lyrical themes.

Then again I think Dropout is Kanye's best album, which is probably gonna get me crucified here on Sup Forums where everyone jacks off over his later stuff

To be fair, being the greatest hip hop album is like being the smartest kid in special ed class.

Literally his worst

not that guy, but the pointing towards CD as Kanye's best is really dogmatic. For me, Graduation has at least as much value. It contains a few of my all time favourites (Flashing Lights, Can't tell me nothing), as well as some of his biggest hits (Stronger, Homecoming, Good Life)

I picked Graduation because it contains some of my favorites in it. Basically because of what this person said I listen to every genre, whats your favorite album in rock then?

whats your favorite kanye album?

damn.
I was gonna post something else but you trumped me...

>"Disintegration is the best album ever!"
> - South Park

reminds me of Adam Carolla's version of 'Putting of the Ritz' -- "Comming on the Tits"

Mingus!
Coltrane!

yep.

...and at certain times Miles Davis and Robert Smith (gasp!)

An album is hard to pin down.
I think this guy's got it:
though my favorite is still Elizium by Fields of the Nephilim for personal reasons...

Yeezus. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is absolutely his best, memes notwithstanding. But Yeezus is a perfect sequel, in the vain of The Beatles and Abbey Road.

I should probably check these out.
I wrote off Jackson somewhere around the late 1980s and never could take him seriously since. It all seemed so corny but his stuff (on paper, at least) isn't that far removed from the likes of bands like Depeche Mode material-wise.

Thanks for the reminder.

Although I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of rock, my favourite rock album would be the Eagles' One Of These Nights. I find country rock to be a very interesting genre.

not a fan of yeezus but MBDTF is my second favorite. It was a toss up between that and Graduation

I'm sorry to say that I whole-heartedly agree with what you say. I really want to get into Hip-Hop to see what the big deal is but the only thing I could ever get anything from were the likes of Trip-Hop and performers like Tricky.

Oh yes, it's definitely worth it. I like him best in the 90s, especially lyrically. HIStory has some really great pieces where he copes with the allegations of child abuse and the media vendetta against him, Tabloid Junkie comes to mind. His best piece lyrically has to be Is It Scary from Blood on the Dancefloor.
Invincible is also an underrated album and was way ahead of its time. Heartbreaker basically used dubstep 10 years before it was even a thing.

I only posted that to see what people think

BLACK SABBATH BY BLACK SABBATH

>Coltrane magic
For real, I can't stop litsening to this album. I don't know how to explain this, it sounds really dumb but I listen to it (the 2hr reissue) every day at least ten times (mostly at work) from start to finish. It's been going on for over a year but I'm still not fed up with it for some reason. Anyone have this problem?

Safe As Milk or spider land

Is this album so good? Cause I've never heard a note of it

it's pretty damn exceptional imo
definitely not for everyone though

This is my actual pic but since it's taken Another Green World is my second choice... and Mark Hollis too

All great

Forgot pic...

Thanks I'll try it

Oh, yes.

liquid swords

I broke my banjo string to this album.

>2h reissue
>from start to finish
> Ten times
>every day

Very good, but this is superior

No it didn't, learn music history

Ascension > A Love Supreme

Late John Coltrane and Sun Ra were extremely far ahead of their time.

Could you elaborate on why you like Third?

This is the GOTY for me.

The end of this song is my favorite moment on the album:

youtube.com/watch?v=5hAQhuAlf0M