Show is called "science fiction"

>Show is called "science fiction"
>Most of the episodes and plots essentially deal in magic

Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Name one, user.

Pretty sure that isn't actually the case

Dr Who

Pretty sure it is. Prove me wrong.

It is.

Bring someone from the 16th century into the 21st century and he'd think we're all wizards.

sci-fi is either an extrapolation from a scientific principle or they at least try to explain how it works to some degree
magic is lol dont think about it, it just works

What are some hard sci-fi shows

No, that's hard sci-fi. There's plenty of sci-fi that doesn't worry about teh details of it's technology.

The Expanse and Firefly.

in what way? phones, tvs and computers are easily explained. so too are planes. what else is mind blowing about our lives?

magic can't be explained, science can

and they are fantasy shows with lasers instead of fire ball and ships instead of dragons.

Exactly, the boundary is vague. Is Star Wars sci-fi? Less so than Star Trek perhaps, but on the other hand Star Trek's matter transporters are more far-fetched than anything in Star Wars...

Agreed. As someone who loves sci-fi and doesn't particularly enjoy fantasy, I hate how the 2 genres are always smashed together. I have no idea why that's the way it is, either.

>but on the other hand Star Trek's matter transporters are more far-fetched than anything in Star Wars
we've actually created matter transporters irl. only works on subatomic at the mo and star trek actually tried to give explanations for some of its tech unlike wizards in space

You know what im sick of

literal magic powers, I'm not some autist complaining about muh hard sci-fi but I mean shit like ''''''psychic powers''''' or other ju-ju spirit magic bullshit

I guarantee the average person who uses a computer has no idea how any of it works. It might as well be magic to us.

>implying you know the difference between the two

You don't even know how your smartphone functions you normie faggot.

Hard sci-fi is extremely difficult to write. If you go full realism, you end up with stories that span centuries as people travel between stars at below lightspeed. You could make a decent story with such a premise but it would be very difficult to film. So most sci-fi takes some leeways with reality, typically by allowing ftl travel, but once you allow one magical handwave the temptation is there to allow more and you end up with a fantasy setting using sci-fi aesthetics, like Andromeda.

No we haven't, quantum teleporttion is nothing like a matter transporter, information cannot be sent this way.

i know nothing about computers but lets give it a go
turn information into 1&0's and pass them through tiny little switches, use that to build up how the machines behaves(programming), powered by electricity is like lightning only it stays in the copper wires, screens turn 1&0's into light into pictures
hard to get your head around if you're from the 1600's but certainly not magic

>turn information into 1&0's

How? That's right, by magic.

more far fetched than telekinesis?

Yes, actually. In theory we could direct gravitons to move things at a distance, but there's no way round the uncertainty principle and that means teleportation is pure magic.

that's now how it's explained in the movie, we're not talking about the star wars in your mind, we're talking about the star wars in the real world.