"LOL GORILLAZ WERE ALWAYS LIKE THIS"

"LOL GORILLAZ WERE ALWAYS LIKE THIS"

No, they weren't.
Yeah, they were hiphop from the start, with some various artists that complimented the style, but there's a difference between the feature in Clint Eastwood and the "feature" in Momentz or Ascension.

The band originally was a concept band, formed by Albarn and a comic artist Jamie Hewlett, with at least some focus put into visual style of Hewlett and the characters that made up the virtual band.

Now it's just Albarn's happy cuck music amalgamation to preach politics and focus more on the features than on Albarn's writing and production.

Who even fucking cares about the virtual band anymore? the video of them in the spooky house told no story, added no characterization, it's just fluff added on to say "oh hey, right, we were this band before i think". Plastic beach and Demon day's plot and concept totally thrown out the window.

They had style and cohesion in past albums, Humanz is just a mixtape to sell you on other people's music, not Albarn's.

Humanz is not a gorillaz album.

debut, plastic, humanz

The stuff I've heard for Humanz has generally been pretty good (I liked Saturnz Barz, Andromeda, and We Got the Power) but man stuff like Ascension is just really shitty to hear. It's not anywhere close to the light-hearted and catchy classic hip-hop that older Gorillaz was keen to deliver. It sounds like generic shitty groid music.

I really hope the full album isn't just filled with junk like that.

the rest of the album is just hallelujah money on repeat

Fuck, I hope not.

I even really like Let Me Out, even if it's a far cry from their usual stuff; it's good but it doesn't really feel like Gorillaz.

I really, honestly miss when they had more of a punk influence.

>trump supporters getting mad that gorillaz guy isnt on their side

As someone who isn't a fan of trump at all, I still hate where the Gorillaz is going. Ascension was dogshit. Just terrible

imagine thinking the gorillaz were always apolitical until now

jfc get your shit together man

I don't really like this new style but it makes perfect sense when you consider what the whole point of the gorillaz has been since the start

If the album was pro-trump id be just as annoyed.
They were at least a lot more subtle or flowery with metaphors in past albums when it came to politics, humanz lyrics are literally

"Mama Mavis, oh
Mama, they tried my patience
Obama is gone, who is left to save us?
So together we mourn, I'm praying for my neighbors
They say the devil's at work and Trump is calling favors"

Fucking garbage.

ALL MI LOIF XDD

Ascension is really, really fucking garbage. I honestly have no idea how they managed to lower Gorillaz to the level of "DROP DAT ASS FO' IT CRASH"

Gorillaz lyrics arent really that deep

they werent apolitical but they certainly weren't as upfront and preachy.

it's fine to have a political message in your song, but when you literally talk about presidents by name it sorta ruins the whole immersive "virtual band" concept feel.

ITS NOT FUCKING GORILLAZ

yeah I'm totally bummed out this is such a lazy album that capitulates on the work of other artists, mostly (((rappers))), and I don't get to enjoy as much of that good sweet pure awesome DAMON ALBARN singing and composition

Really a SHAME

>DROP DAT ASS FO' IT CRASH
its because Albarn doesnt even write the songs anymore, he just lets his features write them and he'll do some production underneath.

if i wanted to listen to someone else's music id listen to their shit.

when i listen to gorillaz i want to hear, yaknow, the gorillaz. you remember them right? the band made by DAMON ALBARN? weird how id wanna listen to DAMON ALBARN on an album made by the band created by DAMON ALBARN huh.

If i wanted to listen to danny brown id listen to his album instead.

that's literally not true

This. Features were great before because it was always like 50% Gorillaz and 50% other artists. Even songs that leaned much more to the "Other artists" territory (The Sounder, for instance) still felt better produced and less, uh, stupid, as if Albarn had more of a say in it.

This will be over soon. Right now we're in this weird market divot where being "politically conscious" is the only way to sell anything. Consumers won't buy into your product unless it has progressivism written all over it.
SNL
Late Night television
News
Popular music
Movies

Good thing Damon left the names out then in the official release?

She's My Collar is so good

yeah, really fucking subtle of him, good job damon, really discrete of you

Ascension is a great song, lot of folks triggered by rap music itt

Agreed. Spacemonkeyz vs Gorillaz is more of a Gorillaz album than Humanz.

It's not even the progressiveness. It's just shitty contributors and the actual Gorillaz team taking back seat.

It's okay but it's really sung by a shitty artist.

We went from Orchestral Intro to SHAKE THAT ASS BABY

WHERES DEMON DAYS

This tirade against artists putting in politically charged lyrics in a song is the stupidest thing I've seen in ages.
>NO POLITICS OR DIFFERING OPINIONS IN MY MUSIC PLEASE I CAN'T TAKE IT
Is exactly what's going on and it makes you all look pathetic. Music, and all art for that matter, has always had a politically charged underbelly. Get the fuck over it.

I love rap music, but i also love the gorillaz.

when I listen to a gorillaz album i want to hear the gorillaz, not some random rapper each song.

In the original album, and the other two, it was mainly 1 other guy that'd rap overtop, and compliment Alburn's vocals. WHICH IS FINE.

This album though is more gorillaz play production while they demo a ton of different rappers and artists, instead of gorillaz.

Cant even have a proper video with 2-d because he's only ever singing in maybe 1 song as the main vocalist.

Fuck the original idea for the band as a virtual concept i guess? basically no longer the gorillaz, which is why im mad.

>implying demon Days wasn't "fuck bush and his war: the album"

Not even listening or understanding the lyrics, it still sounds like trash.

I'm a big fan of Vince Staples' music but that song is not good

Was I addressing the sound of the music? I'm addressing this myth that Gorillaz has never been very upfront about their political stance.

this

Are we just shitposting whether or not it's too political or not? Who the fuck cares, what matters in music is whether or not it sounds good, not politics and lore.

doesnt help that the music sounds like garbage, ontop of being annoying AF with their "message".

It's a shame it can't sound good and have decent message and meaning like MF Doom or something.

Considering the dick sucking for Let me Out in the last thread you are the minority.

I liked it a lot

Me too user, me too.

Same here

wow sure hope your opinion is validated by being in the "majority"
lmao the fuck?

great discussion lads, glad u could all get each other off in a nice lil circle jerk

It is actually, brings me joy to see the right opinions in the majority. I had almost lost hope. But I see there are still people who think political messages should be shunned in art, or make stupid comparisons to songs like Momentz to M1A1 like in that last thread to justify their opinion on how a decent song is actually cancer incarnate.

I know you do reddit

What really sucks is that Vince Staples had a great feature. The rest is pretty lame.

whatever helps you sleep at night bro
maybe stop being sucha pussy bitch tho?

gorillaz was always shit and they will remain shit
stop making threads about this
plebs

>that pic
>what did he mean by this?

So what do you all suppose will be the next single and get the next music video?
I hope it's She's My Collar but I have a feeling it'll be Momentz

songs written by albarn vs albarn and features
old gorillaz was way more about albarn's writing and vocals. new gorillaz is way more about muh feature.
basically to counter the argument that humanz sounds like older gorillaz

'older gorillaz' hasn't existed since their S/T.

Demon Days sounds wildly different from that album. PB sounds different from both. Humanz sounds different from all three.

You'd have to be a moron to think that Gorillaz would have this pattern, come back seven years later, and make an album that sounded like their older stuff.

demon days and plastic beach still have a ton of albarn on them
humanz doesnt

Humanz has more Damon than PB does. not counting the interludes Damon is on every song on Humanz (but has incredibly minor parts on Carnival, Submission, and Strobelite.)

so fine, we'll be nice and say Damon doesn't have a part on 3 songs on Humanz.

on PB, Damon isn't on White Flag, Glitter Freeze, Superfast Jellyfish, Sweepstakes, or Cloud of Unknowing. Five songs.

Damon is spread a lot thinner on Humanz than he is on PB (he has more songs to himself on PB) but he's present more overall.

What's it like not being able to appreciate the banger of the year?

I'm genuinely curious. You must be a pretty miserable person.

It's better than like half of the stuff on Summertime 06.

I haven't heard the album yet but literally all of the singles sound good.

I don't necessarily like all of the songs, Hallelujah Money is ruined by the way-too-over-the-top guest vocals and We Got The Power is just an average radio-friendly synthpunk track. But the production sounds fucking amazing across the board.

It's not the injection of politics. It's the injection of dated references.

"The war is over, so said the speaker with the flight suit on"

Great! If you lived through the era, you know exactly who they're talking about, if you don't, it's just a cool sounding bit of lyrics.

When you fucking namedrop the folks IN OFFICE though, you guarantee that song will be worthless within a decade or two at most.

What did he mean by this?

but they booped it out so that specifically doesn't happen.

>momentz is actually good
>muh de la soul
>rebbit agrees
>y u all so mean 2 de la sol

Keep crying faggots. You know the track sucks. De La Soul fucked up and made their worst song ever, it had to happen some day.

>but they booped it out so that specifically doesn't happen.

And in turn just made the intro sound like shit. Ideally, they shouldn't have named dropped at all, but they made it fucking worse by trying to censor it.

momentz is the best Gorillaz / De La collab

yes better than FGI, plebs please leave

Literally the only single I liked was Ascension.

momentz is the best Gorillaz / De La collab

yes better than FGI, plebs please leave

that means you too buddy

Dirty Harry was "Fuck George Dubya Bush: The Song"

Demon Days as a whole was a political statement of a post-9/11 world

Plastic Beach was all about environmental consciousness and shallow consumerism

Gorillaz were always Damon Albarn's political vehicle

and the cartoon characters were an advertising gimmick from day one.

Damon clearly sings on the Chorus of Superfast Jellyfish. By more Damon, we mean we want songs where Damon is clearly more involved musically, and not just mumbling in the background.

Gruff Rhys is on the chorus of Superfast Jellyfish.

Did a good leak come out yet?

nope. all 320kbps downloads are encodes from that shitty vinyl rip from reddit
the best download there is is the 128kbps from the listening app

Is sadly right -- but use that one and bump it from your speakers! Honestly sounds great already

++ without the bonus tracks and knowing they're supposed to be after We Got the Power *really* makes you feel like that's not supposed to be the final track :/ I wanna hear 'em bad

>Angry cuckservative from t/thedonald getting mad at DAMON ALBARN for being political, as if it's anything new

are you gonna get mad at the rappers because they say curse words, too?

"Pigs (Three Different Ones)"
"Margaret on the Guillotine"
"God Save the Queen"
"1999"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Ronnie Talk to Russia"
"Biko"
"Here's to You, Nikola and Bart"
"Reagan"

And every single one you listed are relatively lesser known songs of those artists precisely because they don't have the timelessness of their other, better, works.

>moving the goalpost

>Cherrypicking examples

Don't try that bullshit mate.

Reagan is literally the first song that pops up on youtube when you search 'killer mike'

MUH TIMELESSNESS!!!!

EVERY ALLUSION TO REAL LIFE EVENTS HAS TO BE VAGUE AND METAPHORICAL!!! DON'T BRING REAL LIFE INTO MY MUSIC!!!! REMEMBER WAR PIGS? TIMELESS!!!!!!

Nigga, are you fucking retarded? Google customizes their results.

I search Killer Mike and the first shit that pops up is his Bernie Sanders stuff.

I went into incognito mode and I get Pressure.

incognito mode got me Reagan again but whatever I guess.

either way it's certainly one of his most well known songs outside of RTJ

>Everyone who disagrees with me is obviously a fascist
>No one can ever legitimately hold an opinion contrary to mine

Looking forward to summer break? I know the 8th grade is an exciting time in a young person's life.

who cares

it's a top-40 reddit radio pop band. why are you overthinking this?

>Who even fucking cares about the virtual band anymore? the video of them in the spooky house told no story, added no characterization, it's just fluff added on to say "oh hey, right, we were this band before i think". Plastic beach and Demon day's plot and concept totally thrown out the window.

who the fuck cares about gorillaz "lore" and story lmao. c'mon.

I guarantee you most songs you can pick that aged badly didn't do so because of lyrics
also, see

Ahahha, I love this. You faggots think I'm a Sup Forumsster who dislikes Let Me Go?

It's my favorite song on the album. I just think how they handle the intro is one of the most retarded things they done since sticking Sweepstakes into the middle of Plastic Beach.

painful truth right there

>reddit
you need to go back

jesus christ, people like you are making me like the album even more. their music has always had a slight political undertone, and this album is no different. Demon Days was chock full of references to environmental issues and war, and really there are only two songs on this album that feel explicitly political. If you can't get down with this, this album fucking wasn't meant for you. "preaching politics?" Give me a break. So many other musicians and artists are doing it WAY more obnoxiously in 2017/Trump era. You're too retarded for your own good OP.

how can you live with such shit taste

Jesus Christ, there is an underlying degree of self awareness in that hook and if you can't comprehend that you should fucking off yourself

>I would defend any crap, the post

don't expect people on Sup Forums to do anything other than shitpost trash opinions that require as little thought as possible

gorillaz is a reddit band

>reddit
stopped reading there

crawl back to whatever community you came from

You are just 10 years older, that's the reason why you don't like it.

I'm not even trying to defend it, album is 7/10 at best, but thats a retarded issue to take with the song. If you listen to current rap you would realize that Vince Staples is far and away one of the least problematic rappers at the moment. What about the lack of Albarn on the track? There are much better reasons to take issue with this project/song that go beyond your deeply internalized semi-ironic racism.

gorillaz is a reddit band

What? No. I'm gonna get mad at the rappers for simply existing. Black don't crack, but I wish it did.

>Who even fucking cares about the virtual band anymore? the video of them in the spooky house told no story, added no characterization, it's just fluff added on to say "oh hey, right, we were this band before i think". Plastic beach and Demon day's plot and concept totally thrown out the window.
I was watching a couple of their oldest videos like Clint Eastwood and Rock The House (the band is in some weird environment and gets menaced by a supernatural phenomenon, which they deal with at varying degrees of success, and it's a bit of fun basically) and realised the spirit house video is just harking back to that.
The virtual band aspect does not inherently require the "deep lore multimedia narrative plot-driven anime" part which turned up later.

nobody dislikes humanz because it sounds different

people dislike humanz because it's mediocre

Well what did you expected out of the dullest bands in music history? Seriously each album following the meme monkey boy and his pals as they fight for freedom has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the band´s only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of hip hop features, Making the music feel inert.
a-at least Damon days was good though
"No" that album was terrible. As I listened, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "went to an ANTIFA protest."
When you Listen"Gorillaz" you are, in fact, trained to listen to entry level Sup Forumscore