/prod/ - Music Production General

***ETIQUETTE***
1. /prod/ IS NOT YOUR SELF-ESTEEM SAFE SPACE. DO NOT COME HERE EXPLICITLY FOR "FEEDBACK" UNLESS IT DIRECTLY RELATES TO OR INTENDS TO BEGIN SPECIFIC /prod/ DIALOGUE. THIS IS /prod/ NOT /feedback/.

2. If you do feel the need or are asked to post a sample of some work, use clyp.it or some type of anonymous uploader. Please no soundcloud, bandcamp etc. nobody needs you to clutter the thread with self-advertisement. There are already threads for that, just use the catalog.

3. Don't give unrelated tangents, spammers, and tripcodes, a (You), with the exception that it is in some way necessary to the progression of the thread.

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/tj31kwcq
clyp.it/ttbqzy2i#
clyp.it/4itjs04o
clyp.it/inthlr1n
youtube.com/watch?v=GVV06jTYjeY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracker_(music_software)
clyp.it/wpi5amuf
clyp.it/uviwq2vb
clyp.it/zeu2thsy
wokwave.com/vstshop/message.php?message=home&screenwidth=1362
youtube.com/watch?v=GHR8IkJIbZY
clyp.it/qiheeepg
clyp.it/m1tedm51
clyp.it/p52yflyb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I want to make videos of myself playing my digital piano. I want to record the audio via direct input because recording a DP through a camera speaker sounds like crap, but I obviously need the audio to be linked with the video which will mostly likely be shot separately with a smartphone. How do I do both at once?

Create a secret society swarn to allegiance to the god king Ra, resurrect kilo sun the creator of all things and defend the universe from the oligarchs coo pa too

Audio Technica ATH-M50X or Beyerdynamics DT 770/990 Pro? (Someone also mentioned ATH-M40X and said they sound more neutral than M50X)

The Audio Technica ones are 38 Ohm impedance only, whereas the DT 990 and 770 go up to 250 Ohm. What difference does the Impedance actually make, other that it requires more energy? If more Ohm = Better, why are the ATH M50 X so highly regarded at just 38 Ohm?

And lastly, which of these has a more neutral sound? When i googled about the DT 770 and 990 funnily enough i stumbled upon a high fi forum, where people just looked for "PHAT BASS" and not neutral sound, so i don't know...

clyp.it/tj31kwcq

Can a beat sound white?

It's shit.
Can a beat allow it's wife to fuck black folk while it watches?

I said white not cucky

same thing

don't listen to the other guy, this isn't bad at all. I'd say it just needs to be louder.

>THIS IS /prod/ NOT /feedback/.
is this the new norm or are you just annoyed at spam op? I haven't been a regular for a couple months desu.

I mean the most discussion heavy it seems to get is noobie gear recs and why somebodys song sucks.

is there a reason you're avoiding a laptop camera? it'd be easier to sync up most likely

could be funny with the right video lol

anyone have an uncompressed version of this?

>/feedback/.
clyp.it/ttbqzy2i#

just looking for a first impression on this. unmixed need to add some detail etc

haven't decided whether to include it on a mixtape or not yet... sounds fitting in the context but alone eh

hey ive got this kind of cheap sampson 4 channel mixer and im having problems with noise and hum

i'm building a fuzz pedal and was testing it out through the mixer (i had tested it on an oscilloscope before and everything had been fine) and everything was perfectly fine and i messed around with it for maybe 20 minutes and all of a sudden the mixer channel is just a 60hz hum and static and no signal goes through

i then tested it with another channel and the exact same thing happened although a little bit of signal goes through (although it's a little attenuated and theres still noise/hum)

i have no idea what to do in this situation because google has nothing on it. my speakers are fine and the two other channels work fine, but i havent plugged my prototype into them yet (which im not about to do)

I have these beyers in fact I was probably the guy who recd them. They're absolutely fabulous. Only con I can think of is the cord doesn't detach from the cans

>are you just annoyed at spam op
yes. I hold the opinion that "gib me feedbacc" fags need containment, and they can move elsewhere.

More importantly, if you've noticed, every once in a while a thread pops up on this board that is discussing the production of a certain album, it's pretty common now actually. I think that those things shouldn't be their own thread, but should come here. We should have more stuff like that, less of constantly sifting through shitty 8 bar lo fi loops and reminding a bunch of kids they're not special or talented. It's not fun, or educational.

i think youre gay but youre not on /lgbt/ are you

>discussing the production of a certain album,
I think some newer albums warrant their own thread, maybe not exclusively for the production but just the album overall is fine

if somebody wants to bring up or ask about an album in /prod/ that's a great idea actually

>reminding a bunch of kids they're not special or talented
i was one of the guys who'd drop by just to give feedback on 20 songs or whatever didn't get a reply. honestly it's pretty obvious who just pitched down a sample and through presets over it, but every few threads there's a song or two that's actually really fucking good. i still remember a couple and wish i had asked for a soundcloud :/

sounds like you need to just lower your expectations or avoid this shit though man, it's not going to change. just focus on your own music maybe

Made this literally years ago, but I'd be interested to see what you guys think, thinking of re-doing it properly. Feel free to skip to the 2 minute mark

clyp.it/4itjs04o

>sounds like you need to just lower your expectations or avoid this shit
probably right
>it's not going to change
almost definitely right

clyp.it/tj31kwcq advice needed

fuck i meant this
clyp.it/inthlr1n
whoops

snare sounds weak for the song... reminds me of a sad kanye song. beats a little boring

hey i'm new to producing
is there a list somewhere of essential things that i should have my head wrapped around? like a curriculum or something?

read the STICKY

mixing
music theory
sound design/know how to program a synthesizer and your daw

ezpz

i tried some of the first links in the sticky and they're dead so i closed it

Music theory, and mixing in general will put you in good stead no matter what, anything else will depend on what you want to make.

nigga your pastebin links are dead

pls update with accessible resources

kinda repetitive but I like it otherwise

that is the cutest little dragon I have ever seen

no U

How do I change the location of a sound? Not left or right, I mean like up or down. For instance I have this rim hit that's sounds like its in the upper right, but I want it to be in the lower right...

nah

can i please get help with this

i was going to reply but i didn't want to tell you it just sounds broken. you're already sure of cables and that the gains not cranked right

this general is trash

indeed. I give up. Moment you shoo away the hordes of attention seekers the thread doesn't bump. really makes you think

down=lower frequencies
up=higher frequencies (or sometimes giving it more of a tail)

no it's definitely something internal to the mixer-- i just want to know if it's something as simple as replacing a capacitor whih is fine or if it's like desoldering an SMD op amp which i dont want to do

lol what do you want people to talk about actually? share some design tips? new plugins? new ideas you've been toying with and focusing on?

i actually want to hear songs

yeah i honestly dont get whats wrong with asking for feedback on pieces. like fuck.
i also will just drop by and give feedback on songs. do you think folks like us should keep on posting and juts ignore people like OP who want something else out of the thread? Perhaps both kinds of posts are useful. i dont want to stop going to prod but it seems like theres a split in the community, and i dont get why some people feel the need to "clean it up" or some shit, and i'm worried youre going to kill the thread. so im going to give feedback to folks songs whether you like it or not.

the production style is definitely very interesting. i can agree with it needing to be louder. i think you need some work on your mixing and mastering and that type shit.

it sounds a bit muddy. try giving things more space in frequency and time so that they arent competing for space. the part that starts at 1 minute is a lot better on that front, quite like that section a lot more. part at 40ish is nice too. the way the elements are blending together is nice there, and they feel like theyre working together rather than fighting eachother, which is what the first part sounds like. also it sounds like you could use a contrasting section coming up next on the arrangement so it doesnt get monotonous.

yeah the repetitive bit i can definitely see. i pretty much skipped through the track and felt like i got everything you had to say in it. definitely dont make it any longer. but it is a solid dance track..

the intro is a bit boring. the drum programming sounds like its just sort of there for the sake of being there, instead of actually bringing anything new to the track. try to integrate it better.

So i read somewhere that a good way to make your mix gel is to put a bit of the same reverb on all your instruments, that way it sounds like they are all in the same space.

does that mean i should stick to one reverb setting for all my instruments and adjusts the sends on each track or can i use different reverbs on different tracks and then send a bit of each track (already with its unique reverb) to the final mix reverb? or will that make it too muddy? i mean i could EQ the reverb but i still feel like its reverb overkill

sorry if it doesn't make much sense, didn't really know how to explain it that well

you should probably start by fixing the pastebin resources

hmmm anybody who can help you is probably rare in these threads.

/r/audioengineering will probably be able to help you out

yeah it seems like theres two sides to prod. the part where folks want discussion into technical aspects of producing, and the side of prod of folks looking for feedback to improve their tracks. maybe we could live together without just shitting on eachother? or we could try splitting it into two generals, production and feedback. but then the post count might be too low. what do you folks think?

>half these posts are me

>yeah i honestly dont get whats wrong with asking for feedback on pieces. like fuck.
I think it's probably the tendency to just drop your clyp and bounce w/o contributing anything else. it is pretty annoying desu.

>do you think folks like us should keep on posting and juts ignore people like OP who want something else out of the thread? Perhaps both kinds of posts are useful.

Yes and no... it's been a minute I didn't know /prod/ was dying.

People need a place for feedback and with the hostility to sharing tracks it's obvious /prod/ will die. HOWEVER I think a few people need to make an effort to start discussions more focused on sound design and discussing songs.

Since i'm not frequently too drunk to post here anymore i'll start making the threads regularly maybe....

>fix the pastebins
>new artist/song for discussion every thread- suggestions in threads for next
>try to share more sample packs and patches etc...

thanks for the feedback man

splitting is a bad idea. it's slow already lol

these threads are fucking pathetic, talentless retards circle jerking over really bad beats and baby-tier production tips. why anyone would come here looking for advice instead of just fucking google-ing shit you want to learn about is laughable

everyone has to start somewhere. you seem like you have a superiority complex to be honest.

if the hostility is here to stay, perhaps we can just ignore it and keep prod alive

that's not a good way at all, that's a lazy way

You're right, but they won't admit it because then they'd have to actually learn something new.

then what do you want the thread to be? a place for your to post your tracks that are so great and talented? you want it to be a place where only good producers like yourself can post? the people who post shit tracks i'm sure are also googlingand using outside resources, you dont know what theyre doing, youre just assuming that they have the same attitude that you seem to have where they think theyre better than everyone else. you dont learn anything from having someone tell you your stuff fucking sucks. you have to improve a little bit at a time. its not like someone posts a shit track, then someone says "you fucking suck practice more" and then the person suddenly becomes better.

thanks! will try there

it feels like you want to turn this thread into a safe space where you can circlejerk about being a better producer than novices who are just starting out. even if youre not a total novice, im sure your stuff still could use improvement, but i havent heard your stuff because you havent posted, youre just shitting on people for posting their own tracks that arent very good.

orchestral score types use that technique. Often a shared algorithmic reverb tail on the master track that's only mixed in a few %. This would be independent of the various reverbs used on the individual instruments.

how do you do break beat drums? like how The Prodigy does. Is it just random drum loops Liam finds? He's not actually midi'ing these break beats....is he?

youtube.com/watch?v=GVV06jTYjeY

>orchestral score types use that technique. Often a shared algorithmic reverb
>IMPULSE RESPONSES O___O

has it all been one person/op this entire time?
kids get their songs shat on all the time lol.

>mix gel
if this is a huge tip you rely on you've got other problems

it really just depends what you're going for mate. if you're mixing a rock band or something this is okayish advice but if you're an all itb producer you've got a lot more flexibility.

usually the only go to verb i use for "glue" is a drum send with a highpass on it.

You cut up drum breaks sampled from funk etc and sequence them however you want, in an audio track, a midi track with a vst sampler, or if you want it not to be an exercise in frustration, in a tracker.

That particular track has what sounds like a distorted and compressed amen break layered in with heavier non-sampled drum hits.

you'd be surprised how intricate guys get with their breaks user...

btw just food for thought:

any of these catch all tips you see passed around like highpass everything go easy on the reverb etc only catch on because they're easy for new producers to pick up on and it doesn't take a lot of work to obey as a rule...

not sure what you mean by tracker, I have ableton and i was thinking about chopping clips up and just putting them in a drum rack. Is that what you mean

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracker_(music_software)

do you guys still use free vsts?

any synths worth checking out besides synth1?

Does anyone use pedals with there hardware synthesizers? Does it even sound good with it?

can anyone recommend some bitcrusher vst?

Yes, it sounds good (and it's fun) BUT unless you don't have the money for an eventide or strymon it's better to stick to daw effects, it's definetly less expensive and more effective (production wise at least)

Btw does anyone have any thoughts about the new novation PEAK?

>hardware synthesizers
can't afford but yes they sound good. why wouldn't they?

when i get bored i sometimes run synths out through an old spider combo too lol

tal bitcrusher
"multi band bit crusher"
krush32
ableton's redux>>>

>better to stick to daw effects
overall yes, but i wouldn't discourage from running through cheap pedals or amps as they can sometimes produce maybe just one good particular sound

So ive loaded up an old track I made a while back, and I went and played with the mastering of it now that Ive been following some hot tips.

clyp.it/wpi5amuf

what do you guys think of the mix?

>I think it's probably the tendency to just drop your clyp and bounce w/o contributing anything else. it is pretty annoying desu.
this. This is really the only problem. I want to hear your music if it's cool, I just don't want a bunch of kids to nonstop clutter this shit simply for their ego it's fucking tiresom it wears down the discussion here and slows down the thread

>what do you guys think of the mix?
imo not enough seperation, everything's kind of fighting in the high end but it's more of an arrangement problem. easy fix would be lower something an octave or use different chord voicings on that piano.

only time ever clyp.it/ttbqzy2i#

only time i've ever posted my music here lol. not really a track i'm proud of idk. had some useful feedback but if you have anything else to add i'm all for it.

have you got anything to listen to man?

It just can't decide what to be. Kind of a little tone-deaf, goes from really full and gritty to really light and techy and that'd be fine but you don't transition it well. I don't like the kick. Other than that pretty nice cool textures cool mixing. How much of this is sampled?

I think I will play around with lowering the little arpeggio an octave to see how that sounds. I like the progression too much to really change the piano chords.

Do the individual elements sound okay? I am still trying to get decent at mastering.

As for your track, I like the sound of it, but it feels like it should be more complete, in my opinion. Perhaps quickly transition it to a gritty section once more and wrap it up from there?

oh fuck I was going to tell you to never mind that Do the individual elements sound okay?
They sound fine just not in relation to each other. desu i can't give any useful mastering advice aside from you've got to have the mix down before mastering can help at all

I was going to ask what anybody thought of this because that other track kind of sucks lol. just something from today, idk if i'm delusional following this style since i've never shown anybody

clyp.it/uviwq2vb

probably retarded question but do i need to tune my drum kik and snare for each song? or key in a song, etc. Or does one "default" or standard, typical tuning for drums work across any scale, key, etc?

There is no tuning on percussion, you can change the timbre to better fit the song and whatnot however.

I use the same kick on a song that features a C major progression and one that is in E( I think it's e at least) minor chord progression and it's fine.

Not the guy who asked, but I've seen drummers tune their toms and whatnot. I don't have as good an ear for that as some, but I assume they must do it for a reason. But yeah, it's not like they retune them for songs in different keys. They just tune it up and leave it for a whole set.

clyp.it/zeu2thsy

this is now way too loud but w/e i'll do another mix later.

Why are drums so hard to mix? Or better yet, why are engineers so bad at recording them? Our band went into studio, sounds good for the most part but fuck me, the bleed on drum channels onto other drum channels suck.

Any good resources for mixing drums?

I use classic delay like all the time, it's my main delay.

>easy to activate ping pong mode
>low and hi cut inbuilt
>volume adjuster at the end which is handy

Only takes me 2 seconds to set up a delay with a hi pass on it so it's an A+ for me.

Nice find...I'll have to try that one. The Wok stuff is all free, and they have some great plugins. The stereoizer (Wok m-st) is my favorite. It can stereoize a mono signal in a mono-friendly way (no phasing issues or anything) or widen/narrow the width of a stereo signal.

wokwave.com/vstshop/message.php?message=home&screenwidth=1362

any idea how Slipknot makes these sounds like here at 0:31

youtube.com/watch?v=GHR8IkJIbZY

they have a DJ so i'm assuming he does this with turntables? theres a lot of shit like this throughout the album. Tis awesome

you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and it shows

Forget timing or rhythm, advanced drumming is all about dynamics. Big band discipline takes decades of practice, no surprise it's hard to mix even with a v-kit or programmed

Except a lot of bands I really like go hell for leather in the studio and it comes out great with very little leak. I wont ignore the fact that they get to spend a month in a high quality studio as opposed to 8 hours like us.

why so many people hate curtis filter

So I bought my first ribbon mic.
>pic related
Anyone have any experience using them? Tips?

clyp.it/qiheeepg

Can someone help me find this song? i think is drake

clyp.it/m1tedm51

im trying to sound like actress
clyp.it/p52yflyb