/U2/ general

19 Days Till Vancouver Edition

The 2017 mix of Red Hill Mining Town is on Spotify now

Bono With Chris Evans Introducing Red Hill Mining Town For RSD 2017
soundcloud.com/u2community/bono-with-chris-evans-introducing-red-hill-mining-town-for-rsd-2017

Please be civil among yourselves my fellow Sup Forumstants

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!cPBhSKRA!zbatUKZC-WTKfI_xzs4DOFYQuZG1WN8aXvi7QBWeJxc
youtube.com/watch?v=p-XgdWdbvRs
youtu.be/6yzojvZwzQo
youtube.com/watch?v=lzCkiAqFjWg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>The 2017 mix of Red Hill Mining Town is on Spotify now
This did not need to be a thing.

what's everyone's thoughts on RHMT 2017? I really like it. don't like the echo on bono's vocal during the chorus but the horns add a lot to the track and the production is super crisp

I hate it. love the joshua tree and the song but the mix sucks ass. You can clearly tell the vocals in the chorus are from the 80's and the verses are new, and the echo on the verses compared to the choruses doesn't blend well

also here's a great fixed version of NLOTH from an user in one of the previous threads for those who missed it

mega.nz/#!cPBhSKRA!zbatUKZC-WTKfI_xzs4DOFYQuZG1WN8aXvi7QBWeJxc

album rankings?

Achtung Baby
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Zooropa
Pop
War
Rattle and Hum
Boy
No Line on the Horizon
All That You Can't Leave Behind
How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb
Songs of Innocence
October

I like Pop, sue me

You guys like U2 huh?

is that way

Unbelievable
2nage

I agree with this user it wasn't necessary, The original superior.

I'll check this out later. thanks

I do easter poster

1. Achtung
2. Zooropa
3. Unforgettable Fire
4. War
5. Joshua Tree
6. Boy
7. ATYCLB
8. October
9. Rattle and Hum
10. Innocence
11. Pop
12. HTDAAB
13. No Line

I don't like Pop

as long as they're remixing things why not fix Pop? I don't mind the new mix of RHMT but tinkering with anything on the Joshua Tree just seems pointless

youtube.com/watch?v=p-XgdWdbvRs

fav live video of my favorite achtung baby song

almost everything on Pop has already been remixed. all the singles that came out after the album were different mixes (Please single mix is god tier) and a lot of other songs got redone on the 1990-2000 bestof

can we all agree that they have to open the show with Streets?

youtu.be/6yzojvZwzQo

I'm thinking they'll save The Joshua Tree for the end of the main set.

It'll be 10-12 early songs mixed with a few SOI tracks then TJT to end the set. The encore will be later stuff

though it would be incredible if they just walked out and started playing streets

Everyone says rattle and hum is shit but this is pretty great

Rattle and Hum is shit because of the horrible documentary parts where the band just act like a bunch of prententious fools.

I'm hoping that they do what Springsteen did. play the TJT than play hits

yeah, I don't think anyone has problems with the performances, it's the weird banter like 'edge play the blues' and stuff like visiting sun studios

I think the situation with the album is pretty similar actually, most of the roots rock songs are pretty damn good, but there's all sorts of weird distractions like the helter skelter cover, god part 2, and fucking hendrix's performance of star spangled banner

Right? Like the studio stuff is mostly fine, still the weakest material since October, but not bad. It's just the shoe-horned live tracks (some of which are quite good) that shouldn't be there.

Yeah, like Helter Skelter and All Along the Watchtower were mediocre, the weird Freedom for My People/Hendrix woodstock snippets are pointless. Plus them working with Dylan and BB King was way too presumptuous for the band's status at the time.

>the weakest material since October
Gloria is their best 80s song, but as far as the rest of the album goes you're right.

Gloria was great and Tomorrow and October are pretty good, but the rest of the album is just a bunch of half-baked songs with some great guitar work.

Rattle and Hum is like 3 albums smashed together. it's 73 minutes long.

if they had put out a short LP with the studio cuts and a live LP like Under a Blood Red Sky with the good live cuts they both would have been recieved fine

As it is the album is totally non-cohesive. Why am I listening to 4 year old songs on what's ostensibly a new studio album?

I have a soft spot for the kind of quiet moody atmosphere on side 2, but yeah, the songwriting just isn't there

probably my least favorite U2 album

I want them to open with Streets and close with Bad/40

>the songwriting just isn't there
It's a shame since the instrumentation is top notch.
But yeah, if Bono's suitcase of new material hadn't gotten stolen, it could have been great. Or if they only they had spent a few months working on it.

Or hell just scrapped the whole thing and continuing touring and just releasing standalone singles (like A Celebration) and then go to work on what would become War.

what's the opinion on Original Soundtracks?

Some great songs, some interesting experiments, some real dogshit.

1. Achtung
2. War
3. Unforgettable Fire
4. Joshua Tree
5. Zooropa
6. Pop
7. Boy
8. Rattle and Hum
9. ATYCLB
10. October
11. No Line
12. Innocence
13. HTDAAB

I kinda like pop

Elvis Ate America is the worst track they ever did, Miss Sarajevo might be the best

pretty much this. U2/Bono have a terrible track record involving anything Elvis.

Is this /Meme/ general?

U2 sucks. Parent-core music.

no

Yes, and so are their contemporaries like Bruce Springsteen, Depeche Mode, R.E.M., The Smiths, Echo & The Bunnymen, New Order, The Cure, etc. And yet it's okay to talk about them on Sup Forums...

Are you sure?

I kind of have a soft spot for Elvis Ate America because of how laughably bad it is. It's just funny

>Depeche Mode, R.E.M., The Smiths, Echo & The Bunnymen, New Order, The Cure
>contemporaries of U2

no. Springsteen maybe. More like The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi, etc. and even shit like Creed and Coldplay

I like it. Not sure if it's better, but I still like it

I like it too. Not as much as the original, but I can definitely see me putting it on for variety sometimes.

Love the added guitar

trying to remix anything from the joshua tree is a fucking fool's errand, period.

especially up to 2017 mastering/production standards.

I'd be interested in hearing alternate mixes from the original sessions though.

Who /FedEx Field on June 20th/ here?

Who else /bringing their Dad/ here?

/PapaJohnsStadium/ on the 16th

apparently they STILL haven't sold out of GA tickets so I'm hoping I can get up close to the stage easily

They didn't come to Nevada on the JT 30th Tour. I'm kinda hoping they will do a large stadium tour to support Songs of Experience or do another leg of the JT 30th and add some more cities and dates. Just didn't feel like going to the Rose bowl or to Phoenix.. When I do see them again it will be my 6th time.

Seattle here.

What other times have you seen them? I saw them on the Elevation tour, Vertigo tour, and twice on 360.

...do you not know what the word "contemporaries" means?

ZOOTV, Pop Mart. Elevation, Vertigo, and 360

what up 57 year old dude, what you listening to today

lol

would that be the first PopMart show where they hadn't rehearsed and had to redo Staring at the Sun?

yes...the first performance of Pop Mart was in Las Vegas. I was at the at show.

Oh shit it's that dude. What's up, old timer?

Just finished playing an MMO with my wife. Currently just listening to the sounds of the game in the back ground.

They also fucked up Discotheque too because of all the smoke from the smoke machines.

The show was interesting but truthfully paled compared to ZOOTV. I did get to hear "Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me" live for the first time and the animation from the music video looked beyond awesome on that huge projection screen.

Nothing could compare to ZooTV honestly

What are some albums like all that you can't leave behind or has an identical sound

Indeed. I have seen many concerts from the 70's to the present and ZOOTV is by far the best live musical performance i ever witnessed.

I'm really hoping they do an Achtung Baby 30th, I would kill to see Zoo TV. I can only imagine the energy from 50,000 people seeing Bono come out dressed as the Devil and calling George Bush

damn dude, that's U2 history

Damn right

I guess . I waited to long to get tickets to this one and ended up paying more then I should have. Also, This was the first concert I attended "solo". I much prefer going with friends. The opener was Rage Against the Machine.

Just listened to the 2017 Mix of Red Hill Mining Town. Its a different spin on the song for sure. I most assuredly prefer the original mix on JT though.

bump

did you know it the time that they messed it up? I can never tell if the crowd knew what was up

It was pretty obvious really. Have you seen it?
jump to 52:40

youtube.com/watch?v=lzCkiAqFjWg

They use fucking autotune on the new vocals

completely ruins it

drums also sound lifeless now too

You and me both. Would love to see ZOOTV 30th anniversary tour. But with an Internet focus. ZOOWeB. Although that is probably to old of a concept now.

yeah drums are too compressed and a bit too bright sounding in the cymbals, while all the toms and kick and any real bass presence is completely buried in the mix.

which is ironic because on the classic albums drums are the one area where lillywhite blew eno/lanois out of the water production-wise

Absolutely. The drums on TUF and parts of TJT always sounded way too tame and buried in the mix. Post-punk era U2 always had them more up front sounding. IIRC, Lillywhite recorded the drums on Boy after hours in the hallway of the studio next to the receptionist's desk.

The Unforgettable Fire
Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
Rattle and Hum
Zooropa
War
All that you can't leave behind
October
Boy
Pop
How to dismantle an atomic bomb
no line on the horizon
songs of innocence

>Rattle and Hum above Zooropa and War
kys

thanks

this

Do you remember when ATYCLB was widely rated as a top 3 album alongside Joshua and Achtung? Do you remember that the band received near-universal praise for the more earnest and stripped-down approach they took for the album and the Elevation tour?

Yes. And in retrospect it was not deserved.

The Fly is a fucking great song.