What caused this board's massive decrease in popularity?

What caused this board's massive decrease in popularity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dXpffMXUcAg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

everyone's shit taste in music

its not summer

No one fucking posts here anymore

not for much longer

fantano/pitchfork/scaruffi drones

poptimism and hip hop

i stopped posting here years ago when i realized that Sup Forumscore is static and everything else i could be exposed to i can find on my own
too many shitposts here to make reading this board worth it when better resources exist

The surge in topics discussing a musician's looks, acts, beliefs, etc., while discussion on a musician's music dwindled.

Basically a Sup Forums-lite.

Has it? How do you know?

>the things people were talking about caused people to not talk about things
Fuck off you goddamn whiner. Also, all of those things except poptimism have been a part of Sup Forums for at least 10 years.

>Has it? How do you know?

It's pretty obvious dude..

People became less original. Its just the same bullshit every time and you can only shitpost (the basis of any Sup Forums board) in like 20% of threads because there are too many slow, shitty generals in the catalog. Plus I'm the only normie left on the whole board.

Trolls

Oh so you're just sort of figuring based on your impression of how things used to be. k

Sup Forums has like 200-300 posters a day. Truly dead at this point.

the term "numale"

culture is dead and yes that includes music. Nothing but white noise out there. you get numb to this shit. everyone can access whatever music no matter how obscure, even the most avant 2deep4u videos on youtube have autists with anime/brony avatars commenting under them. That's right, you've done it Sup Forums, you've won the war. I hope you are happy with the world you created. Everyone is now aware all those omgsosindieh music sites were label PR fronts all along.All those special new bands were just consumer products all along. Even 'poptimism' has collapsed as a viable ideology. The clinton campaign can be seen as the highest point for 'poptimism' and ultimately as its downfall. 'pop culture' turned out to be the harbinger of fascism rather than woke consumer utopia, I guess we should have seen that coming. Its like god has been sucked out of this world. Nothing means anything anymore, nothing is 'relevant' anymore. Yet there's a vague sense of dread hanging over you at the time. late capitalist civilisation civilisation is collapsing into impending catastrophic violence but everyone is rather numb to it, I'd say we are doomed.

kek

Ok I feel you, but in regards to music? You're just getting old man.

Too many memes and bait. No one takes anything seriously anymore

the weirdest thing is that Sup Forums somehow becomes more elite and patrician with the influx of outsiders
why is this?

the new counterculture (conservative) has nothing to do with music, and more with respecting cops, being 100% hetero and venerating the entrepreneur. this is what the hip countercultural youth of today are digging: U-U-UHURU (proud boys).

youtube.com/watch?v=dXpffMXUcAg

>Basically a Sup Forums-lite.

Except Sup Forums is an active board and people at least care enough to shitpost there. This place on the other hand is deserted.

Tumblr, reddit, newfags first board outside of Sup Forums. This board is now pretty much current top 100 rappers and general Sup Forumscore that everyone from 2012 has already heard and now its shitposting in every thread.

Really I like slower boards but it's just bizarre seeing board that used to be very popular and have a lot of board-culture reduced to reduced to a catalog with a bunch of scattered failed threads with maybe 4-7 replies. Sup Forums use to be a pretty big player in the Sup Forums ethos and now it's just forgotten about.

damn. lefties bitched the fuck out. conservatism is like a cool frat i was never allowed in because of road rash face and fat gut.

>respecting cops, being 100% hetero and venerating the entrepreneur
>counter-culture

music is a more challenging art form to grasp than visual forms as it is more abstract. Most people don't understand basic music theory and can't discuss music beyond "I like this" or "I don't like this" so you have threads full of people who can't communicate anything interesting or meaningful between each other so instead they just shit on each others tastes and regurgitate things they heard some critic say.

So the answer is because Sup Forums is filled with total dullards. I agree.

The problem isn't really music theory though, it's a more ubiquitous understanding of evaluating art.

>culture is dead

social media is our culture now

music, movies, art, etc. are obsolete forms of culture now

expression is communication

you need to communicate something? no need to go further than twitter or facebook now

write a song? ha! for what purpose?

This. Knowledge is music theory doesn't matter in discussion, so long as you can articulate the emotional and mental responses you get from music.

I come to Sup Forums just to shitpost.

That makes no sense. You don't sound smart.

yes it does

you're just admitted you were too dumb to understand

But discussion of those artists that Fantano/Scaruffi love also form the basis of Sup Forumscore and thus Sup Forums as a whole.

Am I now

yes

hence your frustration

So the new counterculture is just culture?

When the boards #1 influence decided this is what should be discussed

Now its just a place for Reddit/KTT/Twitter kids to post on, anything of typical board culture results in a ban on Sup Forums

Sup Forums is thriving, no surprise the two biggest meme producers on Sup Forums are pol and tv..rly makes you think

This place is dead and it deserves to be

;-; a dying culture ,_,

mainstreem culture is just a parade of leftist sjws with neon hair shrieking endlessly about white privilege. Come join the 'cool dudes' at your Young Republicans meet

Because literally the only "interesting" "new" shit going on in the music world is shitty soundcloud rap like XXSManletrage and Lil Peep

Every once in a while you get an extremely high-profile album like DAMN. that gets shitposted into oblivion but that's only a bimonthly thing at best

I wouldn't be surprised if this board is a ghosttown in 3 years. Sup Forums is the only entertainment board where its medium is experiencing at least /somewhat/ of a renaissance even if it is still all ultimately shitty.

Good albums come out all the time, mu just doesnt care about

New Guided by Voices was great, couldnt get a thread on here to get more than 4 replies

Mu only talks about Fantano core/meme rap top 49

Only a matter of time before lame-ass Patrick Bateman clones like that crash their bus.

>Guided by Voices
oh I see the problem now

overloading of forced memes

Sup Forums is utter garbage. Are you kidding me?

There's less shit throwing going on there but only because all the sensible people left and it was distilled down to the most obnoxious neckbeards and they just jerk eachother off.

Good fucking luck actually trying to facilitate any kind of conversation there.

It stopped being the home of the feels

2010-fag here. for me, it was the combination of kpop, fantano and pretentious rap.

Once Mosesposted ended, so did this board as we know it

for me it's the McChicken the best fast food sandwich!

Where are y'all getting the idea that it's decreased in popularity?

I mean I agree that the the board has gone to shit, but in general it used to be slower in the past. If anything it's the popularity that's harmed it.

Sup Forums became a slave to identity politics and an outrage driven content economy. When the content economy imploded somewhere after the 2016 elections, we were left marooned in a world without narratives. nobody can say with a straight face that 'the music scene' has any social relevance anymore. Sup Forumscore has been meme'd to death, it's like the music itself was deprived of its aura. Walter Benjamin said this was the effect of mass production on art, the loss of the aura. Same thing happens even to obscure stuff which collectors once spent their lives searching in dusty record stores, it's now immediately accesible to anyone at the click of a mouse. Something is lost, some sort of vaguely spiritual quality. poptimism can be seen as a last shot attempt at recovering the aura through 'social relevance', but even this has proven futile.

How do you know it decreased in popularity?

It really started faltering mid-2015. It was still alright until then but this is ridiculously slow.

/ck/ is a quality boad, sorta slow with the right amount of shitposting.

it reminds me of old Sup Forums.

Sup Forumscore. People still cling to shitty Pitchfork-core that they were into when they were 16 because "muh culture". There are people on this board still think Radiohead is the best band in the world.

Also, Fantano sucks.

i don't buy that explanation, simply because if people who like music want to discuss music it's going to happen regardless if there are exciting new innovations and movements in music at every turn

a more logical explanation is that the majority o this board doesn't appreciate music beyond surface value entertainment so frankly they're not going to be the most opinionated nor are they going to want to discuss it in depth, if you actively observe this board for a week and take note of the type of posts and threads create regularly it's pretty obvious to understand where im coming from

I'm not reading any of that

Have a nice thread

This is ridiculous because ideas like this get a lot of groundswell are criticizing other music sites' emphasis on politics isn't something that's contentious. This board doesn't take Pitchfork seriously at all. This is the most mixed board in political beliefs. It's not that the board is left leaning.

>This board doesn't take Pitchfork seriously at all

lmao

absolutely terrible people

grimesfags, kpopfags, kanyefags, bleep listeners who only like SHITTY old techno, the memerap heads, etc etc etc. not to mention the highest population of underage on the website

Sup Forums has the perfect amount of activity for me, I wouldn't want there to be a big increase in traffic.

You can't even keep up with threads on boards like Sup Forums because there's 20 news posts every 5 seconds.

this board prides itself on not taking consumer culture seriously while at the time being hopelessly in thrall to consumer culture. That's what mu was all about.

People left after hip hop became prevalent

Music is so much more accessible these days. I don't need Sup Forums to give me obscure recommendations anymore and a way to download - there's 100s of platforms to find music and listen/download instantly.

I don't think it's a huge deal, no board culture sucks, there were some good times on this place for sure, just go to live shows and keep listening to good music. Better if you have people to share those experiences with.

This

>massive decrease in popularity
[citation needed]

>mu isnt left leaning
>mu isnt heavily influenced by p4k
>hillary has a 98% of winning

>this denial

Too many general threads.
Nobody likes jumping into a thread when it's already at 150 posts and the conversation is dead. So nobody posts.
And if it's not a general thread then it's recycled metaconversation about Sup Forums classics or whatever.
It's why Sup Forums made /vg/. General threads actually kill conversation unless you're the kind of aspie neet who's on Sup Forums 24/7.

Also the sharethreads are dead.

Death Grips have dropped off the map for now

When they come back the Redditors will return

Whenever the pleb/patrician thing stopped being a joke and absorbed as part of the board culture.

They're also intimidating because they almost never respond to requests

The shit community that had occupied the board since yeezus came out.

Let's make Sup Forums great again.

Go look at the board anytime and a good 2/3rds of the threads are usually dedicated to music from the 90s.

The problem is modern popular music.

nu-males killed the board by circlejerking mediocre hip-hop and pop music

Huh, yeah I've noticed it too.

This board is a fucking desert now.

>tfw Sup Forums is nearly as big a pleb filter as /lit/
feels quite nice desu pham

i miss old Sup Forums

I remember a few years ago it was more active but half the threads were tripfaggotry or other off-topic shit

Literally grimes-posting and Lauren-posting

>pol is that popular

too many generals

Sup Forums is just Sup Forums getting angry at black people in tv shows though, both boards are hopeless

>brings up Lauren-posting before /kpop/

well I guess homosexuality has historically been counterculture

Grimes

kpop general killed Sup Forums

Yeah, pleb filter..lol

there was a jpop general in 2010-2014 ish before they immigrated to /jp/. That was one of Sup Forums's biggest periods. It's ridiculous to say that kpop killed it.

People filtering out all the threads they don't like

and General threads

both of these things decrease posting and thread creation

aside from a few genuinely good album like MBDTF Sup Forums never used to take hip hop seriously

now it's full of people who think the latest trap rap sensation meme is legitimately good music

old Sup Forums would have scoffed at these idiots. the rest of Sup Forums grew up over the years but Sup Forums got younger

I think a lot of people are overstating things like this ITT because almost every thread talking about things like the XXL Freshman list and most trap rappers are extremely negative.

the fact that music discussion is pointless

>the rest of Sup Forums grew up over the years

This.

Popular music is mostly for kids. Music is something you grow out of.

The white youth of america is waking up, we realised the numale indie acts and ghetto thug rappers were just a ploy by cultural marxists in the music industry who wanted to make us a weak race and destroy white masculinity.

at least mu didn't get canceled

talk about a popularity killer

nothing about you sounds masculine or woke whatsoever. you sound like a little bitch if anything. go fall back into your estrogen-induced coma and keep your shitty opinions and lack of personality to yourself.

an aura, ie. some vague spiritual quality, has been lost. It's like when you re watch those things you used to love as a kid, you feel there's just something intangible missing. it's all less real somehow. Same thing happens with the music you loved in highschool.