Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1825.5

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
There's the door

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.livedoor.jp/blackcode/archives/1700656.html
george-orwell.org/1984/0.html
bignox.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

/balt/

dead thread

Hello. Don't let this thread die again or else.

Sup Forumsは間違いですね

DJT: 1825.5 You Can (Not) Die

well im not really into weebshit but it is Sup Forumsernational so I'll bump ur gay thread if no one else does

Yes I wish all DJT posters would stay in the same thread, tired of reading 2 threads all the fucking time.

I miss Sup Forums.

Also, fuck /jp/.

Sup Forums and /jp/ are equally shit imo

/jp/ is more pretentious desu

なぜこのスレドはそんあに亡い?

こんばんわ

We should really petition mods to stop tolerating the /jp/ thread like they used to, since it simply created two dead threads (/jp/ DJTers will say their thread isn't dead, but it simply benefits from /jp/ being a slower board).

DJT belongs on Sup Forums since it's a language learning thread, and if /jp/ DJTers were able to suck off mods enough to have them let the thread exist, then we can suck them off even harder and with better tongue control to force the /jp/ers to come here instead.

Ehhh, I'm divided. On one hand, we get a more active DJT. On the other hand, we get a tsunami of autists and smug cunts coming our way.

>We should really petition mods to stop tolerating the /jp/ thread like they used to

You are a fucking faggot, you got kicked out of Sup Forums, you should know best how it feels and now you wanna do the same to /jp/, cause you personally dislike it?
Sorry user but you are a stupid bitch.

Yes, I want to spite the /jp/ DJTers because I do hate them so, the smug cunts. But that's beside the point, since the board policy dictates that a language learning thread is Sup Forums material, and certainly not /jp/ material, unless you use the same mental gymnastics that those same cunts used on Sup Forums to convince the mods, such as "we learn to translate VNs and comic books, you see it is integral to this board's culture!! :^)"

1984 - george orwell, in japanese
blog.livedoor.jp/blackcode/archives/1700656.html
英語で、
george-orwell.org/1984/0.html

could be a good learning resource?

It's common knowledge that Sup Forums is blue pol, instead of talking to people all other the world and discussing things seriously 99% of the threads are variants of ">india >designated shitting streets lmao".
/jp/ has quite a few retards yes, but I personally think DJT is better over there than here.

>mental gymnastics
Certainly true for DJT on Sup Forums, it was offtopic and nothing else, but l can't agree that learning Japanese is not otaku culture.

what makes you say that?

>t. someone who hasn't been to a /jp/ /djt/ thread

>what makes you say that?

数独しろ

Please, I don't have time to look through that entire thread just to see your point.

The first 50 or so posts say more than I ever could, user. Is that what you want, beginners screaming ESL at each other over differences of opinions regarding the translation something like 「楽しい日本語」? That's the sort of thing those threads are full of. Is that enjoyable to you?

just grab a yoshimoto banana book or short story. its flows easy enough and you get to read some japanese author

Guy's I'm 125 kanji away from finishing RTK. At my current pace, that's 5 days before I can finally close this book for good.
Thankfully, I will finally be able to start the Core 6k, and I'll add DOJG for good measure.
Oh shit, this conversation is the most autistic thing I've ever read

That means nothing, anyone could just as easily point to this thread and say the Sup Forums threads are filled with nothing but insulting /jp/.

So just to "spite them" you plan to unleash upon Sup Forums's DJT a flood of elitist spergs and avatarfags?

I think /jp/ is a more on-topic option for DJT, but I'm glad we have options.

Well then you're quite simply biased if the excuse was wrong for Sup Forums but right for /jp/. Not only that, but /jp/ regulars hate the thread being there. As for Sup Forums being blue Sup Forums, it may has some stupid threads, but it also has ALL LANGUAGE LEARNING THREADS, which Sup Forums does not have. I swear it's like you /jp/ DJTers have selective deafness. DJT is a language learning thread, it belongs where all other language learning threads are.

I used to dislike the idea of them being here, but making the thread busier and having autists sperg out for not being able to be on /jp/ anymore sounds entertaining. This DJT has gotten way slow over the past couple of weeks and the last one was a DailyEnglishThread more than anything.

Can we stop complaining about /jp/ and begin learning some Japanese now?

You DO write your vocabulary words 50 times in your notebook, right?

Not 50 times - sometimes mire, sometimes fewer. However many times it takes to remember it.

That's nice progress man. Should feel good.
Will probably feel weird shifting to vocab after going RTK. So much easier to remember kanji going through that book than it is with vocab. If only it was that easy for everything.

>anyone could just as easily point to this thread and say the Sup Forums threads are filled with nothing but insulting /jp/.
That's the thing: you really couldn't. Hell, /jp/ is rarely mentioned here at all. On the flipside, those threads on /jp/ really are full of that sort of stuff to the point that you'd have to cherry pick threads to avoid it. If that's what anons enjoy, all the power to them.
The situation appears that in these threads that sort of behaviour is rarely present in these threads and so this rather different set of dynamics between these two particular threads are something that I'll go out on a limb and suggest would be a more negative clash than if they were left as they are now.

If you look at threads and posts like waves at a beach it isn't such a big deal. Some days the swell is small and a decent wave rolls around once in a while. Other days you're constantly getting battered by the breakers on your way to sit out the back and the swell is huge.

Im reading the Tae Kim's guide and I can't understand how this sentence functions

ボブは魚が好きだ

It isn't really explained at all what the が particle does here, and why you add だ
can somebody break this down for me :(

これは正解だな。

は marks ボブ as the sentence's topic. 魚が can mean specifically fish. The だ is simply a declarative, similar to 'it is'.

As far as I know you can't do ボブは魚は好きだ。 I don't think you can have は twice in the sentence. I believe it's は for generic topics, が for more specific topics.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also new to this.

It's difficult to understand at first, but in Japanese, 好き behaves as an adjective, not a verb. が indicates the subject of the sentence, which isn't always the same as the topic marked by は. If it helps, try seeing 好き as "liked". Literally, the sentence would mean "as for Bob, fish is liked".

Also, you add だ because すき is an adjective, though you can probably get away with not using it since it's usually obvious what you mean.

Suki is an adjective.

Fish is "desirable".
To whom? To Bob.

Desu is the standard verb when there is no other one around, since Japanese is SOV and a complete sentence only ends when a verb shows up.

I see he let you use his PC too!

What said. In Japanese, you need a verb at the end to have a complete sentence. The だ is that ending verb. Of course, だ can be implied.

lmao he said the n-word xD

Goddamn it this definition is really fucking specific
(And before you go autismo on me, yes, I know what zettai ryouiki is)

iirc you can use は twice in a sentence cause i got marked up on one of my papers from that... that being said, actually using は and が correctly when you get to complicated sentences is very very confusing and its one of the things that you can easily distinguish a native vs nonnative speaker

>They mistook the そう here as a statement of affirmation because your translator wasn't even aware that と was a quotation marker.
What am I missing? I don't see a と here

Maybe he's referring to a different error by the same tler

It looks like he thinks the line should be interpreted as そうと信じていた, if he thinks "That's what I believed" is the correct translation.

I think you can use は twice if you're comparing, for example "ワインは好きだが、ビールは好きじゃない", which means "I like wine but I don't like beer".

Doesn't the previous line end with と
何々と
そう、信じていた

Yeah the previous line was 誰よりも先に、彼方へ行けると。

What was the translation of that line

yea you can use は more than once. i was thinking about more longer sentences.. i just checked one of my old papers to make sure

賛成派の主要な意見は原子力発電は火力発電のコストと比べて、とても安価で二原発は二酸化炭素を排出しないので、大気汚染にならないので、環境に優しいことだ。

in this case そう works as yes/yeah/right/so/ or something else
信じていた
I believed (something, who previously mentioned)

Yeah I fucked up and didn't see the previous line.

Thanks everyone.

His translation of the first line is better but he's just being nitpicky about the second one in my opinion.

が makes me feel, he/she doesn't know or no need to say what Bob likes foods but fish.
actually だ is not necessarily.
but words after verbs decide what sentence really want to say
ボブは魚が好き *だった*
Bob liked fish
ボブは魚が好き *じゃない*
Bob doesn't like fish
ボブは魚が好き *です*
Bob likes fish (honorific way)
and as you know, you can add any other words.
of course you can say
ボブは魚が好き
it's ok, but it can't see, sentence will continue or not.

I write every word that comes up in anki that isn't stupidly easy by now, maybe several times if it's a new card. It's really just a way to make sure I'm paying attention to what radicals the kanji has and where they go, so my handwriting gets pretty hasty sometimes and a large part of it is probably illegible.

Okay I don't frequent Sup Forums but i got a question. I would like to talk to a japanese person. Like a penpal thing. I tried interpals but I felt like it was flooded with weebs so that every jap got 50 messages every day. I don't want to battle for attention like a bitch.

So, does anyone have any idea where I could find japanese people, that ideally aren't total normies and speak at least some english? I'm not even a huge weeb or interested in learning the language, I'm just curious to talk to someone from there. Should I go to/jp/? Idk

Lang-8, maybe? I don't know, I never used any recommended site yet.

Also, after checking the DJT resource guide, I found a website called Jpopsuki. Is that website even alive anymore? The official twitter hasn't tweeted since 2014.

Bump, please keep the thread alive while I'm off watching animu

Should I set a card as "Good" if I only know what the characters mean but now how to say the word?

it takes like an hour for a thread to archive even during peak posting hours. chill thread won't die

Mark it as Hard, that's what I do when I remember all the radicals in a kanji except for one.

Correct my English (o´∀`o)

Not saying that you shouldn't post here (Feel free to do so), byt maybe Lang-8 might be a good place to try posting your journal entries?

lang8 recently disabled new regos and are shilling a new site

I will do the whole thing for you, one moment while I rotate it.

>I will do the whole thing for you
無料か

I was excited, I watched videos of 18th MMDCup on Youtube. I'm not familiar with MMDCup, I found out about it (today?). I also discovered Prix Italia (today?) as well (you could also write too here). I think it is beautiful. I encouraged my friend to watch the video. Not to change the subject, I made Okonnomiyaki for lunch. Since I don't cook it was a bit difficult for me to do it. However I have to get used to cooking alone to live alone in the future. Today I didn't have business going out, so I didn't go out, but I want to tomorrow. I had Sushi for dinner. I'm happy since I love sushi.

Umm... I feel that I can't (I have no idea what you are tying to say here). Maybe because I don't want to write about my feelings in detail. I must write (???) to be conrrected by English speaking Anons. This is just for me, writing attractively will lead to better writing. So I'm dedicating to writing tomorrow. Thank you for reading.

In the next post I'll re-write the whole thing as if I had wrote it, so you understand good flow.

Is RTK a good idea?
What does it teach you?
I've been doing kanjidamage and Core2k simultaneously: Is that a bad idea?

When do you guys use the Easy button?
I only use it when i know all onyomis and kunyomis and remember at least 2 words with it(And can write it if its a reverse card)
If i know 1/2 readings and the keyword i use good and hard if just a reading or the keyword

Can I pay in Japanese 7/11 or FamilyMart with a Visa or MasterCard credit card?
If so, is there any minimum amount required for a card payment?

Today I discovered two videos on Youtube, MMDCup and Prix Italia. MMDCUP was [insert something else here], it was exciting. Prix Italia, was beautiful, I liked it so much I encouraged my friend to watch it. Not to change the subject, but I made Okonnomiyaki for lunch. Since I don't cook often, it was a bit hard for me to do. However, I have to get used to cooking so I can on my own in the future. I didn't have business today, so I didn't go out, I want to tomorrow though. I had Sushi for dinner, it made me happy since I love sushi. Umm... I feel that I can't (???). Maybe I don't want to write about my feelings in detail. I must write (???) to be corrected by English speaking Anons. This is for me, writing (???) will lead to better writing. I'm dedicated to writing tomorrow. Thank you for reading!

Woops. I meant to put: "so I can live on my own in the future"

Wow this is fucked up

Sociopaths, all of em'

Please respond. I hate using cash but have to carry it each time I'm in Japan.

Your question isn't japanese language learning related, go in the japanese thread on this board or on /jp/'s DJT is you want an answer.

Fuck Anki

>and a large part of it is probably illegible
Ah, good times...

Why have you not gone to ? There's a Japan General specifically for those types of questions.

Basically you have to get over it, most stores in Japan only take cash. I know it's primitive and this is 2017 but 仕方がない

Why is this here? There's one of these on /jp/.
I'm just curious, nothing against you guys.

- Correct pronunciation and meaning right away?
Easy.
- Both correct, but took you several seconds?
Hard
- Correct meaning, but slightly wrong pronunciation? (i.e. ten instead of tei)
Hard or Again
- Any other combination?
Again.

It helps saying your answers out loud before pressing again, you will feel the weight of your incorrectness when you hear the correct pronunciation and feel bad about not pressing Again for it.

WHAAAAT? Shit, I've been procrastinating a new entry for weeks, guess it'll never see the light then.
Maybe freshening things up with a new site might make the website more alive again, at least. Just hope it's not phoneshit, I DON'T HAVE A PHONE, STOP PUSHING INFERIOR MOBILE INTERNET!

Only for loanwords (in katakana) that have the same meaning in English. The word "handoru" (handle), for instance, is not Easy because it means "steering wheel".

Interesting question, I try to see them as separate particles, but always check the translation to see if my inference is correct. Things like "de+mo" are already clicking more naturally, I think of it as "by means of + even if". Same goes to ni+wa, I can't translate it into a single word but I get the particle combo intuitively and could probably translate a sentence using it through other choices of words.

You know what is primitive? Every store having credit card machines to reduce losses when they get robbed. And so people don't have to walk with cash on their pockets and get robbed. Um abraço da macacolândia.

Former part-time conbini cashier here.
You can use these major brand credit cards in any convenience stores in Japan with no restrictions at all. It's totally welcome and even preferable than cash (for me as a cashier)
Taxis, department stores, supermarkets, gas stations, hotels, theatres, drugstores, hospitals etc are the same too.

Keep in mind, on the contrary most fast food restaurants in Japan such as Mcdonald's, Yoshinoya and so on and privately run local ramen shops/ cafes usually refuse credit cards.
The 5% fees for credit card companies must be the reason why I guess.
But you don't have to be that nervous as they are like the only exceptions where you can't pay with cards here.

What was it like? Did you have to say いらっしゃいませ いらっしゃいませ いらっしゃいませ all the time?

kawaii desu konichiwa ochinchin daiski nandaio x3

Can someone type out the Japanese in the middle?

"私は本物の大三紙の子にあど◯くほど

You say いらっしゃいませ for every single customer to enter the store and ありがとうございました for leaving ones. If you don't do these politely and neatly, both customers and your colleagues see you as a terribly antisocial man with some mental problem.
I'm not lying at all. it's so natural for us to do these and expect these.

Completely different mindsets. Also, /djt/ is just barely allowed on /jp/. I like to post here instead because there are more resources/help and Japanfriends post here.

It looks like 驚くほど to me

What do you mean by mindsets?

私は本物の大三氏の子におどろくほどよく似ているため その子を殺し私が大三氏の子に化けているのです
Since I looks surprisingly similar to the child of Mr. Daizo, I killed him/her and have been disguising myself as him/ her

It technically is あ but it must be a miswritten お

look*

I thought that might be the case, but it seemed too ridiculous for a hand-written typo like that to be the reason for my confusion.

>I DON'T HAVE A PHONE, STOP PUSHING INFERIOR MOBILE INTERNET!
bignox.com/

As in we don't particularly go along well together.

I would use as an example, but it is quite biased

>- Correct pronunciation and meaning right away?
>Easy.
I meant to say Good. Goddamit, I always write "Easy" by accident.

God, look at this fucking meme-webpage. No information, just a shitty mobile-oriented slideshow.
Thanks for the resource, though, I'll give it proper attention tomorrow!

親炭な釵、口ケ丁。

Peoples motivations on here for learning japanese are different. They wish to add JLPT results to a resume, perhaps become a translator, or enjoy an increase in salary if it relates to their existing profession(military).
They also might wish to travel and stay in japan for lengthy periods, perhaps secure a wife and settle down.
/jp/ wants to consume native material. They don't want to talk to anybody and JLPT scores are useless as their only measure of success is boolean: Can I comprehend it or not. Travel is far from their minds, let alone any kind of settling down. Hence that thread will always be a little slow, they're actually busy.