Claims Beatles aren't influential

>claims Beatles aren't influential
>Listen to faust - s/t
>one of his top 3 rock albums of all time
>one of the first things you hear is a sample from the beatles all you need is love

YOU CANNOT MAKE THIS SHIT UP

Other urls found in this thread:

nonciclopedia.wikia.com
4chandata.org/mu/holy-fucking-shitHe-has-been-the-hapless-victim-of-of-the-infamous-Japanese-themed-imageboard-Sup
radio.adelaide.edu.au/interview-with-piero-scaruffi/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>go to scaruffi.com
>ctrl+f politics
>51
>ctrl+f music
>17

What happened?

Trump's presidency put him in overdrive

Why is this guy even still a thing? It's like reading Allmusic entries and getting annoyed. He's an early internet dingleberry. Avoid.

Did you not understand or is this bait?

i am okay with this, since i've learned more from his political blog than from his music blog.

better than christgau

I found an archived thread about him on Sup Forums from 2012 and one of the posts was literally this:

>2012
>still making fun of scaruffi

Five years later we're still doing the same thing... Really makes you wonder.

Also, the thread dealt with the fact that he had put this sentence in his biography in 2012:

>>He has been the hapless victim of of the infamous Japanese-themed imageboard "Sup Forums" ( >> ) as well as of the Italian Nonciclopedia ( nonciclopedia.wikia.com ). He has fought (and so far lost) a legal battle to have his bio removed from Wikipedia (see Wikipedia as a Force of Evil).

So he's known he's a meme on Sup Forums for quite some time, kek

link to thread: 4chandata.org/mu/holy-fucking-shitHe-has-been-the-hapless-victim-of-of-the-infamous-Japanese-themed-imageboard-Sup Forums----as-well-as-of-the-Italian-N-a95791

>all the people in that thread waifufagging over scaruffi

woah, he was really popular back then, huh?

people really don't get scaruffi's whole shtick—he's a popular modernist, basically, which is why he's big on here. as opposed to, say, christgau, whose critical ideology is based mostly around progressive liberalism (and i mean liberalism, not leftism), scaruffi operates with a critical lens that fetishizes internal complexity, emotional "depth" (favoring, almost without fail, introspection and the anti-social), and an outdated idea of what "pushes music forward." no wonder Sup Forums kids love him: his critical canon validates the reflexive assumed male weirdo who uses experimentalism to validate and frame as "better" one's inability to use popular music, an inherently interpersonal art-form, socially.

how do you explain his high opinion of buttmetal (like SOAD or slipknot) then, which is normie music

>>He has been the hapless victim of of the infamous Japanese-themed imageboard "Sup Forums"

>everyone jerks off to him on here
>"a hapless victim"

What the fuck is he even talking about?

the "normie"-ness of something is totally ancillary to him, from what i can tell. if i had to hazard a guess, i'd just say he legitimately thinks they're compositionally interesting and sufficiently emotionally involved. metal, even nu-metal, does a lot of interesting compositional things that get ignored because of the histrionics of the vocals and lyrical concerns (the latter of which scaruffi doesn't give any shits about, from what i can tell).

i find more interesting his attempts at justifying acclaim for albums like Pink Moon or most slowcore, where he's forced to frame the description in terms of "minimalism" in order for it to make sense in this internal canon he's constructed. it's weird to think of him putting nick drake and steve reich next to each other in his head.

just looked at the System of A Down page on his site and remembered a big corollary—the only thing he thinks is more interesting than introspection (and, by extension, depression) is violence, or rather artistic representations of violence.

it's kind of sad—scaruffi, along with a lot of these post-punk modernists, are kind of stuck in this loop of depression because things like sentimentality, communalism, identity, and just, like, joy, are usually dismissed as "lesser" emotions, or not complex enough. this is something that i think really fucked up Mark Fisher as well, despite him being on a different beat musically than Scaruffi.

m'kay.

interesting and profound analysis, user, i do believe that you may have hit a nerve about him fetishizing the introspective and the anti-social. his "best of" rock albums do indeed include the doors and the velvet underground, quintessential "neurotic" records.

but i don't believe that this is ALL to him. there are several other aesthetics, including the hyper-extroverted/hedonistic one of EDM, that he recognizes and acknowledges.

wait, where have you seen the EDM stuff? that's interesting to me. i've mostly seen him rave over people like nicolas jaar and the knife (off the top of my head) as far as electronic music goes, and those guys are way more ~compositional~ than they are hedonistic—they both make albums that CAN be played in clubs, but are made for listening at home.

You're a pleb if you disagree with these scores desu.

wtf in the most recent interview he did he claimed to have never heard of Sup Forums!!

Rubber Soul and Revolver does not deserve a 5 imo

Rubber Soul should be a 7, besides that it's accurate desu

Sgt Pepper 7/10 lmao, it's a 6/10 at best and Revolver and Rubber Soul are much better.

Link to the interview? Also, what interviewer would ask him about Sup Forums lmao

For some reason, even people that have an exceptional taste in music, know bands, listen mostly to Soul and Acid Jazz, are still infatuated with the Beatles and fall for the image created around them as "musical genius", when they were an easy listening band.

radio.adelaide.edu.au/interview-with-piero-scaruffi/

(just be warned, firefox is now telling me the connection is not secure for some reason)

No

Good music is easy to listen to. That's why people like The Beatles.

Yeah, to me too, but when I continued to the site it asks me for some username and password?!

don't do it, I have no idea why that is, it was working last year. the guy who interviewed him was a Sup Forumstant, he came here and asked us what questions he should ask Scaruffi.

i can't think of concrete bands that highlight his EDM choices.

but the fact he titled his book "history of rock and DANCE music" heavily implies his view of music evolution isn't only directed towards the introverted and anti-social.

The samples of Beatles and Rolling stones are used mockingly. You hear them faintly and distorted, they signify you leaving behind the pleb world of pop rock and entering the nightmare world of Faust.

>being in denial

Yes

Maybe
I don't know
CAN YOU REPEAT THE QUESTION

So, if a band samples my grandma having sex with the garbageman, then my grandma having sex with the garbageman becomes an influential artist?

Totes, when is your grandma coming out with her follow up album?

Yes

you should be ashamed of this comment. He's not always saying you should push things forward specifically, just push the envelope and don't just play it "safe". Sure, you can play it safe and still make good music, but you're not really making art you're just emulating other people. That's the point duh. It's not some retarded concept of progress, just innovation.

>good music is easy to listen to

So, the Beatles are better than Beethoven?

>Beethoven
>classical music in general
>hard to listen to
Your head must be so far up your own ass your breath reeks of shit.

are you implying Beethoven is hard to listen to?

piero is obviously a Sup Forums user

vladislav delay and amon tobin are his top-rated dance musicians and they happen to fit the and description

>it's kind of sad—scaruffi, along with a lot of these post-punk modernists, are kind of stuck in this loop of depression because things like sentimentality, communalism, identity, and just, like, joy, are usually dismissed as "lesser" emotions, or not complex enough.

This is so ture. I'm guilty of this most of the time.

he just respects Rules 1 & 2

Hey pals, I did the interview. The website has moved because the university no longer owns the station, and hence doesnt host the website any more

I haven't gotten around to uploading my old things to the new website, I can upload it for you guys if you'd like, though?

Regarding Sup Forums, I asked if he knew how popular he was and how much people discussed him on Sup Forums/RYM/listology etc, and he said he doesn't know or really care at all.