What keeps an atheist from murdering and stealing all they want? The fear of reprisal...

What keeps an atheist from murdering and stealing all they want? The fear of reprisal? Is the fear of prison the only thing preventing an utter breakdown of society by those with no moral compass?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-aggression_principle
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

WHY????

Yes. If you believe otherwise, you're pretty much brain dead.

/WHY/??????????????????????????

>i need religion to know whats wrong or right
heres your (You)

Only idiots are driven by fear. Religious or not. Kys

The fact that they know is wrong without some 2000 years book teling them in 1000 metaphors...

Atheist here. I'll give this bait thread a legitimate answer because I'm bored.... I legitimately just feel better about myself, and am therefore a happier person, when I'm honest and kind to others.

Thats being altruistic too.Most people are narcissistic.Religious or not.

Anyone who needs an intrinsic fear of God to keep them in line is
#1 a fucking pussy.
#2 someone who wouldn't know wtf was right or wrong regardless.

I'm pretty narcissistic too, but that side of me tends to make me very depressed. So there you go.

Not believing in religion doesn't mean you are evil. Guilt is a natural emotion, religion isn't.

Ethics have always existed in some basic form. What kept the first bacteria like organisms from destroying each other entirely? What kept every intermediate species from killing each other to extinction? It is a stupid fucking question. The reason atheists don't murder all the want is probably because most people don't want to murder in the first place.

Awww.
How cute are you?
Not believing in a diety means one is inherently evil.
Loaded questions with an old meme photo.
Good job, op.

>What keeps an atheist from murdering and stealing all they want?

I know it sucks to be robed, so I don't do it to other people. It's called "empathy"

Religion is immoral

>Assuming one can not have a moral compass without religion

I have no desire to murder, steal, lie, or cheat because I don't want to treat other human beings that way.

Don't need a religion to tell me "what's right and wrong". It's called common sense, you fucking nigger op.

For me, the lack of an afterlife makes life more precious.

bait, newfags can't resist

Atheists tend to be tolerant of others, self aware, and open minded to what others believe. Religious people like yourself see the world in black and white, there a believers and non believers which is intolerant of other belief systems and judgmental. You're the asshole not the atheists.

They can only kill babies for the purpose of surviving

"I do not worship a God. Therefore, I want to murder and steal everything in sight."

That's how fucking dumb you sound, OP.

Is what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God? - Socrates

As what amounts to a skeptic pagan, which might as well be an atheist as far as morality goes, I choose to not do bad things to people because it's simply wrong. I choose to treat people the same way I would want them to treat me, because that simply makes sense to me. Thus, I don't steal from people because I'm of the belief that you do not fuck with someone's livelihood(the exception being boycotting their products). I do not assault people because they would then, in my mind, be perfectly within their rights to assault me. That said, if someone starts something, I'm perfectly happy to beat their ass into the dirt, or to simply defend myself. I choose not to murder people because I acknowledge that everyone is a human being. Whether I like them or not is irrelevant, what is relevant is that these are people with lives and families and friends and hopes and dreams and I don't think I have the right to take that away from them, or them from their loved ones. The exception to that is in the case of war, as when it comes to a "kill or be killed" situation, I would much rather survive a little longer.
I do not need a book or a religion or an institution to tell me what is right and wrong. I have the capacity to decide for myself as a thinking human being.

Religion causes many, many wars, believes guys deserved to die, woman were basically slaves and encouraged genocide, and you think the atheists are evil?

Gays. Piece of shit phone doesn't know about faggots yet.

If I specifically followed a religion, I'd go for the Catholic ways.

> forgive me father, for I have sinned. I fucked a whole bunch of kiddies, stole some stuff, and murdered a hooker. This is a confessional, so you can't tell the cops and I can say a bunch of pater nosters and be ok with it.

So much easier than
> forgive me, Your Honour, for I have sinned.....

morals

You'd hopefully be specifically raped.

The fear of god doesn't make us moral. God is an outgrowth of collective human morality. Morality is innate to us. We're fucking social primates. Jumped up chimps. inb4 nigger.

You get fucked up religious people, and irreligious people that only want to do harm. Most people atheist or theist are content to live normal lives feeling empathy and a connection to fellow humans.

This whole argument of fucking moral decay and the end of times is more than a little trite.

Now come on, fuck off.

I'm safe. Too old.

>What keeps an atheist from murdering and stealing all they want

Atheists exist to teach the faithful humility and selflessness. Atheists do good without hope for eternal reward and without the fear of eternal damnation.

Morality is an abstraction and with no objective good and evil the only measure of a person is how they face adversity and how it changes them.

Why, Op?!

What keeps OP from dropping low quality bait all they want?

Being a theist certainly wasn't enough to stop them.

Yes.
Yes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-aggression_principle