/jazz/ general

Duke Ellington edition

For how important Ellington is to the history of jazz he doesn't get much discussion around here. What are your favorite albums/recordings?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2y181d28X-c
youtube.com/watch?v=sgquok3PYUI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't really now where to start with Ellington, any recs?

Sup Forums only talks about modern jazz. sorry

anybody have any recs for latin jazz

yeah

Never No Lament: The Blanton-Webster Band
that's a good comp
ray baretto - acid

listen i can read the penguin guide to jazz and allmusic and whatever and just spit records at you but i promise you i've actually listened and enjoyed.

try the one in the OP pic

Money Jungle will be one of my favorite albums always.

this

youtube.com/watch?v=2y181d28X-c

Any recommendations for qt female vocalists?

There's a lot of good modern jazz though

>Solos Duos and Trios
>Money Jungle
>The Harlem Suite
>newport 56
>Never No Lament-BlantonWebster comp
> Louis & Duke
>DUKE & TRRAANE
>Anatomy of a Murder
>Black Brown and Beige

Since when

best general

blanton-webster band is indeed the correct answer

youtube.com/watch?v=sgquok3PYUI

the fringe. garzone is heavy, real fucking heavy.

I almost never see Sup Forums talk about modern jazz except for the epic

If I pick up a saxophone tomorrow how long would it take me to get to the level of being able to play at a jam session? I've played guitar before but never had any music training at all.

maybe

Esperanza Spalding
not quite jazz but maybe you'll dig Hiatus Kaiyote's look? I didn't but I'm sure someone will

You can play at a jam session as soon as you know notes, you may sound like shit but it's the best way to learn anyway

Wynton Marsalis

Bradford Marsalis

Jason Marsalis>>>wynton, etc.

she's amazing

Afro Bossa

Afro Barbossa

that's a man baby

worst genre though

>What are your favorite albums/recordings?
>Albums:
Money Jungle
Newport (I prefer the original release to the whole concert release. I think the illusion is more potent when you just hear the highlights with overdubbed applause.)
...and His Mother Called HIm Bill
Such Sweet Thunder
Afro Eurasian Eclipse

>Fav pre album songs(versions I've heard come off pic related):
Take the A Train
Reminiscing in Tempo
In a Sentimental Mood
I Let a Song go Out of My Heart
I Got it Bad and That Ain't Good

Man, that took a lot more thought than I thought it would. I feel like I'm not doing a good enough job if people feel there's not enough Ellington discussion. I usually try and Strayhorn him into conversations and I stuck him on a blindfold or two back when they were running. Including covers of Caravan was a bit of an inside joke in those threads. I swear, we must had over a dozen of them in the little over a year we were doing them.

It's kinda hard to talk about his stuff though. He's gets unanimous praise and his work has been played and analysed to death at this point.

Depends on where the jam session is at. I've been at stuff in my college where there's been people who barely know how to play 12 bar blues.
I think he's talking about /jazz/, which isn't a part of Sup Forums.

The best thing Duke Ellington ever did was be covered by Thelonious Monk.

Minimum 300 practice hours. And that's if you're focusing on playing one specific standard.

If you're looking to be able to show up and just jam, probably more like minimum 700 practice hours.

bump

My favorite by him is Live at Fargo 1940...I miraculously found the entire vinyl collection in the backroom of a record store one day. I only put it on when I can listen to it in its entirety, I think i've listened to it over 50 times ..

This: