ITT: Musicians who you suspect have autism or Asperger's

ITT: Musicians who you suspect have autism or Asperger's.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RGxxMdlYXdw
youtube.com/watch?v=MOqSQ4xuFdc
youtube.com/watch?v=o-xMkHgan0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=kGj27OOpr9Y
youtube.com/watch?v=sldSy5PLCsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zPneVFw1ZSE
youtube.com/watch?v=w3B28LJM5iI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Isn't David more-or-less confirmed?

Morrissey also Courtney Love is confirmed

>inb4 Kanye

Gary Newman confirmed

Stefan Burnett

No but he said he never was evaluated but he thinks he does

Me

most genuinely good artists are on the spectrum

I didn't really realize normies perception of music until I discussed music with normies who actually liked music (mostly buttrock and John Mayer etc) and think that anything that deviated from regular sounds was "pretty weird"

Like I produce some pretty basic synth stuff with a few experimental elements and a friend was like "You're into some pretty weird stuff aren't you?"

He's actually the most normie member of Radiohead

if anything johnny is an autist

for sure

Having autism and being considered the greatest drummer in the world by normies isn't a bad tradeoff

youtube.com/watch?v=RGxxMdlYXdw

without a doubt

youtube.com/watch?v=MOqSQ4xuFdc

youtube.com/watch?v=o-xMkHgan0Y

Have any of you read his book it's fucking bizarre he even considered rejoining Rush after that

>have

Guy has had a sad life

What are you talking about?

Owl City and Kanye

His daughter and wife both died a few months apart I think

He's an inspiration

The only notable indie guy who I can think of who I think almost certainly does have is David Thomas of Pere Ubu. If you read their heavily-text-based site, watch his stage performances and the few interviews with him online, he seems like an Aspie who has gradually learned to ironize his condition for his own and others' amusement. His involved discussion of the difference between "irony and self-aware absurdity", his laborious outlinine of self-explanatory principles, and his way of suddenly bringing up obscure and vaguely reactionary points of principle all seem to indicate this.

Byrne strikes me as just being a guy who seldom smiles for showbusiness reasons.

I thought Asperger's people were supposed to have some kind of talent. This guy is worthless.

*outlining

Many Aspies have no talent, but they all have systems. David Thomas, whatever you think of his talent, certainly has a system.

Wash your mouth out, Pere Ubu were the band Talking Heads were a neurotypical imitation of - even if Byrne isn't neurotypical.

Oh yeah David Thomas is definitely something

Pere Ubu is from a sideways slip in time

You realise that user was responding to the Henry Rollins post right?

What does that have to do with Henry Rollins?

>autistic screeching: the artist

youtube.com/watch?v=kGj27OOpr9Y

aw this is...i hope he's ok

aphex twin

youtube.com/watch?v=sldSy5PLCsQ

Byrne himself thinks he has Asperger's

yeah this nigga autistic as a mf

This is the Mandela effect, I swear.

Rollins ain't on the spectrum. ADHD isn't autism.

pretty sure this nibba is autistic

no he's just old and self important

If he hasn't been diagnosed, so what? A guy who had it would want to get tested immediately to know for sure. These guys like Byrne and Gary Numan who just adopt the condition without making any serious attempt to find out are bogus.

>ADHD isn't autism.
woah, hey man, don't make my autism flare up
or was it my ADHD
hehehe :^)

David Thomas' singing ability is pretty obvious proof he isn't an autist. Autists are incapable of getting that level of energy, range and diversity in their voice. Byrne, Numan, etc. are all fairly monotonous.

This isn't a musicians who are confirmed to be on the spectrum thread. He talks briefly about why he thinks he is in "How Music Works"

Numan has an autism diagnosis

I was a loner as a child and happiest at home, launching toy rockets and planes. When I started causing trouble in my third year at grammar school, Mum was really surprised. My parents sent me to a child psychologist, who suggested I might have Asperger's syndrome. Mum found that offensive, thinking it was a slur on her parenting, but it just wasn't understood. I was prescribed Valium, among other drugs, and the treatment fizzled out. But I was still expelled from school.

I met Gemma, my wife, when she was 12. She had a schoolgirl crush on me and her dad had arranged for her to meet me. Later, she started coming to my concerts, but I only got to know her well after her mother died. I rang to see how she was, and that's how it started. She's incredibly thoughtful and intelligent. I was riddled with self-doubt when we got together and thought my music career was finished – she got me to accept that a lot of people liked what I did.

Gemma spotted my Asperger's right away because her brother has it. I'm hopeless at small talk and have a problem making eye contact. That's why Gemma is so brilliant, because she talks for me. In social situations, I willingly step into her shadow. If we're out and she leaves me alone for a few minutes, I panic.

When I was a kid, before there were proper diagnostic criteria for it, it was suggested that I might be suffering. I did a brilliant series of tests online from a university in America, and I was deeply into the Asperger's spectrum on there. I'm fine in one-on-one interview situations because it's a controlled question-and-answer session, Small talk's the problem. If we met in a bar, or after a show, there's a good chance I'd be stand-offish, aloof, miserable, or awkward, because I don't know what to say. I'm rubbish. My interactions are semi-artificial, in that I know I'm not allowed to do this or that, because it would be considered rude or improper."

interesting

Grimeth

He's always been like this though
I'd say it's almost certain. He also has an ability to just know a shit-ton of facts about politics that require months of digging to find.

I don't like when I see a celebrity with gray hair. You're not supposed to be old yet, David Byrne.

>implying David isn't a silver fox

Kevin Shields desu.

Watch any of the old interviews, they are awkward as fuck (maybe hes just high idk).
Plus the perfectionism would make sense.

He sounds as if he knows what he's talking about, but I still think he should get tested properly. It may be that he feels it would be implying uncertainty about his wife's judgement to seek corroboration, and of course he wouldn't want to do that. Nonetheless, self-diagnosis is a shaky thing. Some incredibly conclusive signs can be contradicted by other, unnoticed factors, although admittedly that seems unlikely in his case.

I think the problem with this kind of thing is that recorded interviews are an incredibly unnatural situation. DESU, people who are good at them are more likely to be on the spectrum than people who find them weird, because they are weird, especially under bright TV lights or whatever, but at the same time they're very ordered and controlled, which makes them ideal for aspies.

Mark Eitzel of American Music Club

youtube.com/watch?v=zPneVFw1ZSE

Kurt Cuckbain
probably already been said but still

Did he really though? Is there enough known about him to make this assumption?
Really though? I kind of doubt that, he had plenty of shit going on but autists generally aren't as well received socially speaking as he was

He went all the way to France to hang out with Francoise Hardy and didn't speak to her the entire time
He was generally quite too himself as well according to his friends.

Foetus

If not aspergers/autism then definitely something

youtube.com/watch?v=w3B28LJM5iI

He's just Australian

Do all Australians talk from such a self-focused and anxious point of view and make restricted eye contact?

Yes

He was just a depressed closet gay junkie, nothing in his prior life indicates Asperger's. If it hadn't been for his brain chemistry and sexuality, he'd have been the chad of all time.

>gay
go further in what your thought process of this is

Byrne actually legitimately has aspergers. I know people who know people.

He's also apparently a massive asshole and his ex-bandmates hate him.

(sameposter)

It's an interesting thought to me, actually. That jerky, spastic approach to songcraft and rhythm - and autistic-y thought process to his writing - being in part shaped by genuine aspergers. It really makes sense and sheds a lot of light on why Byrne is the way Byrne is, in all his oddness. It kind of reminds me of the idea of new innovations coming from glitches or misuses of technology... in his cases music formal twists coming from his own mental computer malfunction.

That kind of mentality is the only reason why I have any semblance of confidence as a musician

It's the right way to go about it, actually, letting your oddness come through.

That's why someone like Eric Clapton or John Mayer is so boring, there's nothing weird or idiosyncratic about their playing. It's just ordinary, 'proper' blues.

Yngwie's undoubtedly an autismo. Also, judging from some of his violent behaviour and things that former bandmates/acquaintances have said about him, it's quite likely that he was abused as a kid.

bump