So hyped, yet so untested

Let me start by saying I love watching Anthony Joshua fight. He's an outstanding person in and outside the ring. But, with only 17 fights (none of them against notable opponents), why has the boxing world hyped this man so much? People are already swearing he could knock out far more experienced fighters like Wilder. Is it Joshua's physique and knock out percentage that's got everyone's pussy soaked?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FXUlQM5Zqig
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

he's considered attractive by women, he looks more like a bodybuilder on juice than a boxer, and his style of fighting is just throwing bombs, which casual boxing """"""""fans"""""" think is "real boxing".

>why has the boxing world hyped this man so much?

Because he's a great face for the sport. Is charming, respectful, a 2012 Olympic champion (matters a lot here) has a much better physique than most heavyweights. That and Hearn + Sky are great salesmen, people don't really know what they're looking at.

The wheels will come off eventually though, people are already upset with the Molina fight and I guarantee he won't be fighting Klitschko in March, it'll be the winner of Whyte vs Chisora instead. While he's still making as much money as he is Hearn has no good reason to put him in with anyone decent.

Can't wait for him to get exposed desu

Because people forgot about frank Bruno

Luis Ortiz would beat him.

I'm pretty sure Hearn signed Ortiz as Joshua's personal bodyguard. Dangerous challengers like Parker, Haye, Povetkin, etc., will probably be told they have to get past Ortiz before they get a shot at AJ

The media loves to hype up black men.

Overhyped cunt. Disgusting how the media treated Fury even though he went to Germany and beat Klitschko. Then they treat AJ like he's the second coming even though he's done fuck all. Hope he flops hard.

He's super marketable but I don't think he will live up to the hype. Apparently Lawrence Okolie knocked him cold in sparring just last week

He might beat Klitschko because Klitschko is shot, and he might beat Wilder because Wilder is a hypejob too, but I wouldn't fancy him against Fury, Haye, Ortiz or Povetkin (not sure about Parker yet; his defence is pretty bad)

Fury's a cunt tho

Wilder vs Joshua would be FOTY

>Fury's a cunt tho

No he isn't. I've watched him since his first fight on TV and he was always very nice and respectful. The media completely fucked him over because he said some politically incorrect things they didn't like about gays. If AJ had did what Fury did in Germany he would be treated like a living legend.

>Wilder vs Joshua would be FOTY

Yeah, I don't rate either of them as elite talents but they are fun fighters. I think Wilder might actually win that, he seems like a more natural athlete and fighter. The only thing is he throws looping hooks while Joshua goes straight down the middle, so he might just get beaten to the punch and clocked. Both of them are packing glass I reckon

>If AJ had did what Fury did in Germany he would be treated like a living legend.

I fear that if AJ beats this even older version of Wlad in 2017, Fury may be erased from the history books entirely

Well I'm hoping he'll come back next year as he's still young. Would be ridiculous to retire this early. Maybe he should go to America though as the British media are cancer unless you're a Hearn bumboy like AJ.

He'll be one of these guys who only turns up every few years I reckon. Sadly he's just too mental to ever live up to his talent

>Fury's a cunt tho

ZOG detected

People call him a hype job but honestly I wouldn't have expected better opposition at this stage, people also seem to forget it was Martin that chose him as a voluntary.
I would actually have prefered to see him fight Pulev next, that fight makes more sense than Klitschko or Molina. Really I'd back Joshua over anyone expcept Fury or Klitschko, maybe Povetkin have to see how he does over Stiverne, but he's looked greatly improved since his Wlad loss..

boxing is full of hype jobs and overrated hacks, that's why ufc is so much better

2/10

How many times a week do you think AJ get propositioned to be a bull?

tbf Kevin Johnson was supposed to be a test and he only fought for a world title because a total bum fluked his way to a belt and couldn't turn down the Matchroom money to get KOed by AJ. He wasn't supposed to be a "champion" yet.

Now Eddie Hearn's trying to tread water to make sure he's still got that belt when either Fury's back or a Haye fight makes business sense

People saying he hasn't fought anyone are complete mongs, who should he have fought at this stage?

He's fought one decent opponent so far in Whyte. Not saying he's not good, but with merely 17 fights, the hype surrounding him is incredibly high.

Tyson was hyped when he was knocking out cans

you're moving the goalposts, Brezeale, Martin and Johnson were all decent opposition and Joshua made them look simple.

no they were fucking terrible

the standard of heavyweights in America nowadays is piss poor. Martin and Brazeale only got their shots at AJ because their respective opponents broke their leg and bit their tongue in half. Brazeale was a paralegal who had to take time off work to train for the fight.

yeah ok, but the implication is that Joshua in his first 16 fights should have had a greater opposition to justify the "hype", maybe people don't realise the lack of depth in the hw division.

Fury reminds me of Bobby Fischer quite a lot. They were both totally obsessed by becoming world champion to the point that it's the only thing that dominated their existence. Once they managed it and got everything they ever wanted they didn't know how to handle it. Off the rail rants, weird conspiracy theories and ultimately disappearing entirely from the public eye. Very similar actually.

Big hope with Fury is that everything being taken from him lights a fire under him again.

t. Sup Forums

He's only had 17 fights, what HW champions have fought so many undefeated fighters??

>Wilder

pmsl he's only fought Stiverne that's it and he's laboured in his fights. Joshua would of dropped Stiverne who wasn't interested in fighting Joshua for double the Povetkin money, he's already better than Wilder. Joshua is hyped because he has fast hand speed, generates good power, is 6'6 and knocks people out.

>using Max Kellerman quotes and passing them off as your own opinion

zzz everybody took their hat off to Fury beating Klitschko. "The media are against me" is a fictional idea inside Tyson Fury's head, he only gets stick when he's saying something dumb about women and gays.

Is that Low Tier God?

An undefeated record is worthless if you haven't beaten anyone decent

Personally I think that becoming a PPV attraction so early has hampered Joshua's development. He should have had four fights this year. Molina could have been the third, and someone like Pulev, Duhaupas or Browne the final one. That would set him up perfectly for a huge 2017

Molina, Duhaupas and Szpilka are also solid wins. Better than Martin and Breazeale, for sure. (Molina is the worst of the three, by the way)

Pulev didn't want to fight him, he wanted to go to Bulgaria and defend his European title. Eddie Hearn made it quite clear Pulev was first choice but people seem to struggle with the idea that a lot of heavyweights don't want to get in the ring with him and risk getting buried. The Klitschko fight is happening in April and then there will be no more excuses about his level.

>everybody took their hat off to Fury beating Klitschko

Everybody was shitting on the fight for being boring, no-one gave Fury any credit. He made more headlines for saying that shit about gays.

The Furys doesn't help themselves by any means but they've always been outsiders in the media.

Martin is a top ten HW

ufc is fucking shit

Martin was shit but Breazeale was resilient. Going on about past record is simplistic, do you think Errol Spence Jr isn't the hottest prospect at welterweight because he hasn't fought anybody? Every American always goes on about Errol Spence Jr hyping him, and if you read how he fights and look at his physical attributes the hype is justified. Same for Joshua, past fights are not everything.

I find it hard to believe Pulev turned down a fair split. You shouldn't believe everything a promoter says regarding their own fighters. Hearn probably lowballed him. It doesn't really make sense otherwise

Hearn said Joshua had three options and then of course ends up signing the worst one. It's the oldest trick in the book

Honestly they should have just made the Haye fight. It would do huge business in the UK and Haye would have a good chance of nailing him

Why, because Glazkov - a mediocre fighter himself - happened to sprain his ankle in his proximity?

He's total gash mate

Spence Jr is way overhyped too. In fact he actually has a lot of the same flaws Joshua does, funnily enough. Both will be exposed at the highest level

"lowballed" is subjective, if Stiverne fights Povetkin for 400k and gets offered 750k to fight Joshua for a world title but doesn't do it, he's ducking. Joshua will 100% pay more than what ever fight Pulev will do in Sofia. He couldn't fight Haye because Haye did a deal with boxnation to fight in december for the WBA regular title then that fell through, you can not do massive fights at the last minute. He will fight Klitschko in April and I will have no problem backing him.

After Joshua's last fight, he spoke of how he's still learning to be patient with his opponents, realizing he cant knock everyone out inside 5 rounds. 17 fights, he's still growing. He needs more experience under his belt before he starts taking on other guys at the top. I like Joshua. I really want him to be great. But, I fear the hyping fans and his promoters might place him against an opponent he's not quite ready for.

Because britain has
ZERO
E
R
O
athletes to celebrate. Theyre so desperate for talent theyd probably give some scrub like jeremy lin the crown jewels

>you can not do massive fights at the last minute

They've had since June

>He will fight Klitschko in April and I will have no problem backing him.

I'm happy enough with that fight but let's not forget Wlad is coming off a loss in which he looked utterly done. I'd also want to see him in against a top opponent in top form to truly justify the huge amount of hype he's getting

SHATTTTT

APPPPPP

BLAD

We just won the Olympics you daft sod (when you discount the worthless women's medals)

this x1000000

racist

He's fighting Klitschko in April, Klitschko is going to be ring side on december 10th to start building the fight so we will find out soon enough, I feel Joshua has come along nicely and Molina is a good yard stick to compare to Wilder.

Come off it, Klitschko is still top 3 if he beats Klitschko in his 19th fight that is a massive achievement regardless of whatever Tyson Fury did. Britain is dominating boxing and we should be backing all our fighters.

Are there any White American boxers at top level?

China beat you. And America beat you fucking senseless. Like I said you dont have any athletes to hype after david beckham fell off

not since Kelly Pavlik hit the bottle

chris algieri

>China beat you. And America beat you fucking senseless

Only if you include women's """sports""", which no self-respecting heterosexual man would ever do

White Americans are the biggest pooftas on Earth. I think it's all the fluoride and oestrogen that's pumped into their water

He's not really top level, the answer is no unless you count ones of south American stock. This is why they lost interest because they're shit and HBO/showtime focus on manlet divisions. They have 3 really good boxers: Ward, Crawford, Thurman.

Martin kinda of slipped his way to the top. Glazkov handed him the belt, which he immediately handed to Joshua. A garbage fighter whose rise couldn't have been easier.

Not true. Even if you exclude womens medal >we still destroyed you

>he rated DB

wow just kill yourself you spastic

That actually made me laugh.

Name a single british athlete more renowned than david beckham

>Only if you include women's """sports""", which no self-respecting heterosexual man would ever do
Lol not even close yuro scum. merican men had 60 medals. Almost as much as your whole pathetic country

Only golds count you fucking losers

>shifting the goalposts
Hahahahaha pathetic

Jessica Ennis-Hill, CBE

He's renowned for being a good looking chap and selling underwear not for dominating his sport which many British athletes have done.

Paddy Pimblett

>He thinks he deserves a prize for finishing 3rd

eddie the eagle

frank bruno

>Age 46

No other country in the world counts total medals. In fact you only started doing it after China got more golds than you in '08. They're supposed to be tie-breakers if golds are tied

No wonder America doesn't win any more. Hillary will be the perfect president for your nation of beta males, whores and brown people

LET'S GO CHAMP
Could knock out Joshua desu

It would be interesting to see who leaks roid juices first.

Delusion. I'd give him a chance against Lucas Browne though

>outstanding person
>blatantly roids in a sport where your job is to hurt people
Ayyyyyyyyy

Mate what are you on, no fucking way pre-fight (any of the fights) people would rate Szpilka (a hooligan whos best win is a shot adamek) or Duhapas (a decent chined extremely basic fighter, only good for exposing Helenius since chisoras exposing of him didnt count for some reason..) above Martin or Brezeale

>blatant
You got the blood tests chubbo?

What is this meme? Did Anthony Joshua say it at some point? Who to?

Joshua vs Haye would only really be big in the UK; nobody would care in other countries. Also, Joshua would heem David Haye within two rounds. He only won his world title by running away from a lumbering nobody for 36 minutes.

>your nation of beta males, whores and brown people

funny you say that, when it literally describes your next top british talent.

I was about to say this lol. A lot of people dont like Kellerman, but he knows his shit.

I'd also add Danny Garcia if he wasnt such a cherry picker.

then you would know that he robbed mcdermott, he should have never had the record he has now. fury deserves everything that has happened to him. fact is, he's a bum with 0 title defenses. fury is just another shit stain on the underpants of this boring division.

AJ would have kept it together long enough to establish himself in the history books via title defenses had he gone into germany and won.

SHAT AP BLAD
youtube.com/watch?v=FXUlQM5Zqig

I personally cant stand Thurman, but I can't wait for him to put hands on Garcia.

we hype a lot of our boxers for some reason, naseem for example. Really good entertainer but fought poor boxers and when faced with a good one he got beat the shit out of

Naz was legit world class though, he just got lazy and lost to an ATG in a competitive fight

naseem could have been GOAT but his hands got mangled

>shattered hands were his downfall
2 stronk for his body, he could have been the GOAT

Thurman, while kind of untested, is a hell of a fighter and im glad to hear that the fight is happening. I wonder if Al Haymon forced Garcia to sign the contract

>hating the goat for not crushing at least another dozen cans like everyone else

SHAT AP BLAD

In 2003, no one. Wazza Rooney has been for the past 10 years.

>He's an outstanding person in and outside the ring.

but he's not

Why would you go to Sup Forums of all places to have a serious discussion about Anthony Joshua and try this hard?

Newfag detected.

Interesting that the two white guys walking AJ in are bigger than him.

I wonder how it feels to be one of them earning £15/hour while the guy between them probably earned 1 milly

Someone had to. I'm sure if he could stay rich, while fighting rando's for the rest of his career, he wouldn't complain.

I don't know. Why would anyone post a sports related question on a sports board? Clearly, that stuff belongs on /y/.