Pitchfork likes him for his politics and won't say a bad thing about him

>Pitchfork likes him for his politics and won't say a bad thing about him
>Fantano used to like him for his politics, until most people realized that was why Pitchfork liked him, so Fantano switched to being lukewarm in order to distance himself from that
>Scaruffi hates him for being popular
>Christgau writes glowing reviews without actually saying much about the music, as if he just wants to agree with everyone and then move on

So how do I figure out if he's good or not?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6xRerLLcJvY
youtube.com/watch?v=k4Oz8UmUXbg
youtube.com/watch?v=hRK7PVJFbS8
youtube.com/watch?v=1WQV_cULobA
youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTYgq4EoRo
youtube.com/watch?v=4wZytWFm7x0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=nLbSXc7Y7bk
m.youtube.com/watch?v=39I3r5VQqRc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCvTk1iA2RI
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ikKUceLXdt8
m.youtube.com/watch?v=SEqb3qmU3h0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NJwl4evPay0
youtube.com/watch?v=rDoqVmPeTqM
youtube.com/watch?v=2Im1eyzafhk
youtube.com/watch?v=kYlNanGBBCs
youtube.com/watch?v=s732BigTxZk
youtube.com/watch?v=yzfWOUguAdc
youtube.com/watch?v=uNTpPNo3LBg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

by reading black twitter, the only culturally relevant literature today

By listening to his music and deciding for yourself instead of being a drone.

OP is a faggot

Pitchfork = Israel
Kendrick Lamar= Israel
Fantano = Israel
Scaruffi = Israel

Christgau is still alive?

Listen to me.
He's good.

imagine being so retarded that you genuinely believe people like artists solely for their politics

I like Crass solely for their politics

ask yer mum

I've listened to like 5 of this guy's songs and every one of them was mediocre or worse. Someone post a good Kendrick track and try to change my mind cus I'm thinking this negro is all hype.

You genuinely believe Kendrick gets 9.5 BNM every time an album is released because he's just that good?

semi-unironically this

youtube.com/watch?v=6xRerLLcJvY

youtube.com/watch?v=k4Oz8UmUXbg

youtube.com/watch?v=hRK7PVJFbS8

youtube.com/watch?v=1WQV_cULobA
his best song probably, good on its own, but it's more moving in the context of the album's concept

Might be the best thing I've heard from him yet it's still pretty fucking mediocre.

yawn

Imagine being so retarded that you genuinely believe pop music is authentic and not 100% built on marketing and social signaling.

what's not mediocre Rap for you anyway?

>The word "hype" wasn't enough to describe the media assault on the sprawling 80-minute To Pimp a Butterfly (2015), another meticulously crafted album that employed legions of writers, producers and musicians (including jazz pianist Robert Glasper and jazz saxophonist Kamasi Washington). Six people wrote Wesley's Theory, including George Clinton, and four produced it, including Flying Lotus. Nine people are credited as writers for the funk-fest King Kunta, making it de facto a collage. The producers threw in more live instruments, resulting in a sound that is more revivalist than innovative, but also a sound that helps the general theatrical atmosphere. For better and for worse, The Blacker the Berry is the epitome of this emphatically pointless but fashionable avant-jazz-rap music. I begins as an olf-fashioned synth-pop hit of the 1980s before it begins to sound like a James Brown parody (with the lyrics "the number one rapper in the world" and "i love myself") accented by a jovial piano figure. The best psychodrama is possibly one of the simplest songs, the melodic funk-soul These Walls, and the best political sermon the equally straightforward funk ditty Hood Politics. But the music is secondary to the histrionics and it doesn't matter that the catchy and danceable Alright stands in opposition of the industrial beat that derails Momma, a fact that could account for at least eclecticism. This is a superficial and, ultimately, middle-of-the-road album from an artist who lacks the visceral energy of Public Enemy and Tackhead while also lacking the poetic depth of Kanye West and the musical genius of El-P. He tries to be all of them at once, but maybe he would be most credible if he were just himself: a brilliant script-writer of fictionalized real-life stories: the Christian parable How Much a Dollar Cost presents God disguised as a homeless man, and Mortal Man interviews the ghost of dead rapper 2Pac.
He fucking buttfuck him so bad.

>poetic depth of Kanye West
holy fucking shit dude

I liked this.
Meh. Yeah maybe it's just personal preference but his shit doesn't do much for me.

Check out Cosmogramma if you haven't already

Will do.

his past albums were good because though there are political undertones he still expresses himself in a tasteful manner where even if we dont fully agree with him can still respect his opinion. In damn he goes full retard, and just comes off as politically illiterate. the content is so in your face there is no ambiguity, theres no in between, its either you identify with it or you don't and many people didn't. still fuck with some of the songs but most of them are just ignorant venting. Im black so its not like i don't disagree with some of his themes, it just seems like baseless venting which really exposes the flaws in his ideologies

don't agree*

if you like that kind of fast paced rapping check out this

youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTYgq4EoRo

Rather than seeking external validation, you could actually listen and evaluate the music by how it moves the subtle currents of your sovereign soul

A foreign concept, I know

Listening to one of his full-length albums entirely and either enjoying it or not. Then judge your opinion on him via your impression of the album

How do I tell if I am enjoying music

ADHD, Blow My High and Don't Kill My Vibe Remix w/ Jay Z

and then i take tyeeeeeeeeew puffs

i have never once read or watched a pitchfork or fantano review i agreed with

pitchfork does not exist on this special island of kendrick love

>anarchist
>so retarded
checks out

Waste of fucking trips. I hope you're trolling otherwise kys

This album wasn't even that political compared to TPAB

How about you post 5 songs that you consider good hip hop/rap records first.

Thisss

Project Pat - These Niggas got me fucked up
Gucci - Bricks
21 Savage - Red Opps
3 6 Mafia - Bin Laden Weed
Danny Brown - Tell me what I dont know

Ohh. I see what the problem is, user.

You just have shit taste

go fuck yourself you trend hopping 16 year old milquetoast-opinion-ass-nigga

Listen to your heart, user.

Imagine being so retarded that you think Kendrick is pop

This song got me into Kendrick:
youtube.com/watch?v=4wZytWFm7x0

m.youtube.com/watch?v=nLbSXc7Y7bk

m.youtube.com/watch?v=39I3r5VQqRc

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCvTk1iA2RI

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ikKUceLXdt8

m.youtube.com/watch?v=SEqb3qmU3h0

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NJwl4evPay0

It's mostly all old shit and too mainstream for Sup Forums but it's some of my all time favorites.

Now I can get behind this list. I always go back to International player's anthem just for Andrés verse.

>all that pleb radio garbage
You're just too dumb to appreciate the subtlety of Kendrick

What's so in your face?

he just keeps getting worse

The mercedes line always stands out to me just bc my ex had it as a middle name and she was broke as fuck

p4k is sjw
fantano is meme
scaroofi is psuedo-patrician
christgau is paid by soulja boy

I think the only song on this list that ever got extended radio/mtv play is Int'l Players Anthem and if you don't like that shit just kys

I love how everyone is like DAMN. IS SO URGENT! ITS AN URGENT ALBUM. URGENT BEATS. URGENT. NIGGA DAT SHIT BE URGENT. URGENT WE WUZ KANGZ!

Like what the fuck is URGENT about DAMN.?

>Scaruffi hates him for being popular
Stop with this meme. There are a lot of popular albums that Scaruffi has praised. He hates him because he is shit, period.

>hip-hop
>not pop music
You are the one who is retarded user

(Hol’ up, bitch) sit down
(Hol’ up lil' bitch, hol’ up lil' bitch) be humble
(Hol' up, bitch) sit down
(Sit down, hol' up, lil’ bitch)
(Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up) bitch, sit down
Lil' bitch (hol' up, lil' bitch) be humble
(Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up) be humble
(Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, lil' bitch) sit down
(Hol' up lil' bitch) be humble
(Hol' up, sit down, lil' bitch)
(Sit down, lil' bitch, be humble)
(Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, lil' bitch) bitch, sit down
(Hol' up, bitch) be humble
(Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up, hol' up)

What a genius...

Not him but I agree I'm not a huge fan of Kendrick. No hate, just can't see why he is as big as he is. Have a list.

youtube.com/watch?v=rDoqVmPeTqM

youtube.com/watch?v=2Im1eyzafhk

youtube.com/watch?v=kYlNanGBBCs

youtube.com/watch?v=s732BigTxZk

youtube.com/watch?v=yzfWOUguAdc

I hate Kendrick Lamar and I could post classic hip hop that everyone loves. I could post Liquid Swords, Cuban Linx, Reasonable Doubt, Infamous and Cold Vein. I think those are good, and I still think Kendrick sucks.

So what do you have to say now? You can't say I don't know real hip hop, because I do. kendrick is garbage. His flow is mediocre at best and terrible at worse. His rapping gets worse with each album and he really doesn't have much vocal talent.

I concur. He's ridiculously talented, OP. Listen to To Pimp a Butterfly and Good Kid, Maad City. They're in the Top 10 Hip-Hop albums of this generation.

This Damn>TPAB but GKMC is his best.
IMO, heh.

Scaruffi is an individual who just likes writing about music.
Kendrick
>WE WUZ JEWS
Was kinda funny on damn.

The rest are probably "israel"

Who got that hyrdro? Who got that light green? Who got that bobby brown? Who got bin laden weed?

He is certainly one of the most technical lyricists in the rap game, while his delivery can accommodate a variety of styles with ease. He proved his versatility in pretty much every album. His delivery is also very persuasive and emphatic, which is more than I could say for the textual content. Production is versatile, changing gears with each album and with this last one proving he can do the memerap afrobeat-disco-nostalgia-buzzword-galore sound thing just as well as your average drake, which is why Damn will be more popular than his previous endeavors.

He is good within the genre. Having said that, his worth ends at the borders of hip hop. People who derive political opinions from his music/historical framework are either uneducated, idiots, or cult-members of some sorts. He does a good job of portraying an archetype of the hip hop world. It made me understand the mindset of young urban minorities much better. Not to say I agree with much of their conclusions, but representing that is enough of an artistic feat.

youtube.com/watch?v=uNTpPNo3LBg

DAMN is basically just Kdot's Government Plates for melon

true

I can say you're trolling cause you probably are.

If you like classic hip hop and legitimately think Kendrick is bad then you're just trying hard as fuck to not like him.

Wholeheartedly agree with everything in this post. Well said.

Far better than anything Kendrick's made (including FlyLo-produced tracks).

made me smile

Early Kanye had actually good lyrics. Listen to him talking about college on his first album.

Sup Forums really is fucking terrible I thought taking YouTube critics (lol) seriously was just a running joke but you guys are actually genuine. One minute you're ridiculing each other for not having an obscure taste in music in which no one has heard of the shit you pretend to listen to, the next you wait until some NEET LOSER makes a quirky review before you make your own opinion on music.
Fuck you I hope you all die.

listen to him yourself ffs OP XD and fantano isnt lukewarm on him he still likes him damn just wasnt as flooring like tpab or gkmc

His only good songs are Wesley's Theory and the single version of i.