Why is this allowed?

why is this allowed?

CULTURAL

it's not

why do you think they're broken up? investigate

I come from one of the most liberal cities in the US, and most people still think the concept of cultural appropriation is retarded

This is a perfect album. Fuck you.

Someone show me some african music this sounds like.

And no, it doesn't sound like Fela Kuti, you're going to have to be more specific than him or "afrobeat" because that's not really close enough

Why is this allowed?

why is this allowed?

why is this cover so bad?

Why Sup Forums?

Why not?

I don't get it. What's wronf

white ppl taking black music and playing it back smugly/ironically? kinda bad taste my dude

>don't believe that people could have that opinion
>while I'm typing into google the realization sets in that some people could actually have that opinion
>pic related
god damn this world

He's memeing about le cultural apropiation. See

name one (1) african band that did it better

i know this is bait but i've been up for 36 hours and whoop dee doo here i go

ok graceland literally involved dozens of south african musicians in the production and performance, so you'd be an idiot to call it appropriation. For another, art generally isn't subject to a lot of the same issues of appropriation unless you're an insane person; a huge aspect of art is the fusion and interaction of ideas and cultures and movements. The only time appropriation is a real issue is when its pure commodification, the repackaging of someone else's culture as a piece of exotic kitsch to be bought and sold, especially if that culture has been historically fucked over, or making that culture a joke.

for another this isnt smug or ironic. read any interview with david byrne or paul simon, they heavily involve black musicians and clearly carry their influences with respect. plus, neither of these artists were making ironic music, really.

>the repackaging of someone else's culture as a piece of exotic kitsch to be bought and sold
........which is exactly what talking heads were doing if you paid any attention whatsoever
nyc art cons repurposing african sounds for their label's big *prestige record* sounds p fucking sketchy to me
its not abt 'doing it better' you mong, it has to do with what you allow and what you suppress. read a book dude

eh, if you read any interview with david byrne or listen to the album it seems pretty obvious that they're being sincere and not just making an album with african influence for the sake of it. Almost all of Talking Heads' music has African and funk influences running through it, which would be pretty weird if they were just doing it for the $. 99% of people, musicians and bigwigs as well as casual listeners, black as well as white, don't hear a cynical attempt to capitalize on African culture when they hear this record, so if you find yourself a part of that 1% i suggest you look inward, not outward.