Why is Vader consideref powerful?

What does he actually accomplish that shows him as super fucking strong?
>fights Obi-Wan
>chokes some faggot on a ship
> Throws an old man down a hole

Is this the biggest plot hole of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5O802FzCKVE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The idea of Vader being some ubermensch space jesus was a prequel retcon that was implemented because he sold the most toys, therefore he HAD to be the LITERAL center of the Star Wars universe.

Dude he had a black suit and a cool helmet!

Despite getting all his limbs sliced off and forced to live in an uncomfortable mobile life support suit. He was still able to hunt down and rekt all the Jedi masters and knights that survived order 66.

On top of all of that. It's not even his full potential. Being nearly burned alive and force to live in a suit slashed his full potential by half. Even so still managed to be 80% the power of sheev.

He was strong but could've been a whole new level past Yoda or sheev

>it's another MGTOW thread

In the OT, Vader and the Jedis were not crazy powerful. They could do some cool things with the force but that's it.

Vader was just some general with some slight powers.

The prequels ruined it, so just ignore them.

But the prequels gave Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader depth and made him out to be a tragic villain instead of just some guy in a robotic suit. That actually made him interesting and is much better than "some general with some slight powers".

Return of the Jedi made him a tragic villain

The prequels just expounded and explained what was already there.

Oh yeah, that's true. Still, I don't understand why people say the prequels "ruined" Vader if he was already made out to be a tragic villain in Jedi.

It's not because they made him a tragic villain, it's that they made him a really annoying teenager that we have no empathy for.

The prequels turn everything they touch to shit

>Grew up as a slave all his life and had dreams of being a Jedi
>Promised to free his mother some day only to end up holding her in his arms as she dies
>No doubt lives with that guilt all his life because she might never have gotten sold if he hadn't been freed
>Has nightmares that his wife (Whom he loves so much that he broke the Jedi code in secret to be with her) will suffer the same fate
>Slowly turns to the dark side out of desparation to save her
>Is forced to fight his best friend and mentor only to end to getting his limbs cut off and left for dead
>Finds out he killed his wife in anger, fulfilling the very destiny he lost everything trying to prevent

I'd say that's pretty empathetic.

You're autistic.

There's more to portrayal of a character then their backstory and the circumstances they find themselves in.

We don't lack empathy because he was a slave, we lack empathy because every word that comes out of his mouth is fucking retarded and embarassing.

While none of the jedi were super heroes like in the prequels it is still implied that Vader is one of the strongest.

>BTFOs Luke on Bespin
>Force-chokes and kills somebody across space
>blocks Han's blaster shots with the Force

The root events of the story is certainly empathetic, there is a lot of pathos in anakin's life.

It is the portrayal of these events that was not very empathetic. Wooden acting, forced emotions, poor chemistry and far poorer dialogue
etc.

He's one of the few people in the galaxy who can use the force. All the remaining Jedi are in hiding and the emperor presumably doesn't kill people himself, so he's basically the only guy who would use it publicly.

>Basing your opinion of someone on how they speak

I think you might be the autistic ones here.

The script was shit
The actor wasn't able to salvage the character from the shitty script

That's why the character is bad.

He's the emperor's right hand man, he was obviously a beast.

From my point of view you are autistic.

Rebels are generally afraid of Darth Vader. He's an imposing figure who is literally nearly invincible thanks to his skill with the Force. Rogue One will (hopefully) demonstrate his power on the battlefield.

So if someone lost their family but they spoke in monotone, you wouldn't feel empathetic towards them?

This 100%

Because he could kill you with this tray.

It also plays into the Jewish idea of a failed savior and the need for another, the failed savior being Jesus and the new savior the antichrist or Jewish messiah.

We see this played out in Anakin, then Luke, and now Ray.

>It's an OT vs Prequels/Sequels thread
Why can't we ever have a Star Wars discussion without you faggots shitting everything?

he lost a lot of potential after going in the suit, but still very powerful

I felt like the force back then was more like the will of god. Like, working in mysterious ways rather than outright miracles, but those strong with it did display powers sometimes.

As time went on it seems to get closer to Dragonball Z power levels

yoda literally says the force has no limits m8

It's mostly Disney shills who keep talking shit about the prequels. You can tell by the way they post vs how everyone else posts.

He's only considered powerful to people who bring up the prequels. In the original trilogy he goes from being an ss-type gestapo leader going from house to house with his storm troopers looking for rebels, to a even bigger prick who it turns out didn't kill Luke's father but is even further vilified because he willing chose to go to the dark side for just the power of it. After he reveals this to Luke he starts getting all mushy or maybe the good in him is manifesting, and he kinda redeems himself. He was never meant to be space Jesus in the beginning, he was just a badass villian in a place of power.

The force in episodes 4,5 and 6 are comparitive to really deep meditation and yoga and training and shit. It's implied and confirmed by Lucas himself at one point that anyone could learn it. That's what made it so bloody cool in the first place.

It's kinda stupid that with the technoligy in the Star Wars Universe they couldn't make him a cool cyborg

Truly a tragic story Written on paper everyone would shed a tear

>has authority
>officers fear him
>killed some of the best jedi in existence like Obi-Wan
>solo'd the rebels in the trench run
>blocks a blast shot which punches holes through walls
>effortlessly beats the protagonist Luke
>called best pilot by some

I know you're trolling but at least watch the movies.

>As time went on it seems to get closer to Dragonball Z power levels
This never happened. Only in EU comics and the Clone wars cartoon

This never went away. In fact, obi wan does not have a particularly strong midcholrian count. He trained himself to be one of the best.

Because you're missing the point of the story entirely, user.

Same shit happened to Han solo.
He was just some crummy smuggler with a literal garbage ship. Now he's portrayed as being an expert pilot with the greatest ship of all time.

he is ok but nothing great as he once was, it is all empire propaganda.

Conclave on Kessel is the place that Vader's myth started.

>being able to kill someone who is on a completely different Star Destroyer just by having a visual of them
>not a big deal

Now? He was portrayed as a great pilot in A New Hope.

Movies aren't real life. A movie is supposed to make you like people you're supposed to like through plot, script and acting. These all failed, rendering Anakin pretty much the least likeable person in each movie.

He should have been awesome and likeable and when he finally fell we should have been heartbreaking, the final fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan should have brought tears to our eyes. Instead it was just all shit and I just wanted it to be over.

when did he do that?
link to video pls

when he ws alking to a commander via facetime and choked him

It's like no one watched the movies, fuck.

I haven't seen them in years i don't fucking remember everything

In the first movie Vader says he's not very impressed with the Death Star and warns not to over rely on it as the power of the force dwarfs it.

No, he was a good smuggler, Luke was the ace pilot.

>chokes out niggas on another ship
>slight powers

Why did it begin in Episode IV?
That shit makes no damn sense.

because lucas already thought up 1-9 and decided 4-6 would be the most possible with their current technology. or at least that's the "official" story. who the fuck knows really why

I doubt that highly. I think only after Star Wars made a gazillion dollars did he put any serious thought into a story much outside of what we've seen and even still it was probably highly different from what we got.

I see where you're coming from.
He's so hyped up, especially in the prequels, but never really does anything that incredible. The only real Jedi master he faces wrecks his shit the first time around, and is an old man the second.
And yeah, I know "he loses because of his hubris!" And "his potential is crippled!" But the fact remains, we never see him so much other than look intimidating.

>solo'd the rebels in the trench run
does that really count as an accomplishment all there did was fly straight

A better analogy would be if they were really a shitty crisis actor and didnt lose their family, thats what the prequels are like.

>He's only considered powerful to people who bring up the prequels.
So you're saying you weren't self aware in the 80s or 90s.

In the new comics he's a unstoppable tank that gets shit done. His power isn't any more interesting though.

good god we're talking about fucking movies you mong

I love how seeing Anakin's story written out like this proves that it had so much potential to be a good series of films in better hands

He didn't kill her. Palpatine drained her life to give it to Anakin so he could stay alive during the process of getting the suit installed.
In fact Anakin and Padme's heartbeats stopped at the same time, only for the suit to bring Vader back to life a few seconds later.

The only thing I don't understand is why Vader decided to stay with Sidious when he told her Padme was dead if she was the only reason he had to become evil in the first place.
He should've attacked Sheev at that moment, but Sidious would've killed him and they needed continuity for the OT...

I'd say that (You) have autism.

He blamed himself for her death

Yeah but he should've been like "Nigga you told me you'd save her. I sacrificed everything and you didn't stop her from dying. Give me one good reason why I should stay by your side."

pretty sure there's no going after you slay a bunch of infant jedi

>no going
*back

as in back to being a jedi. or any life without self-loathing.

>Try to kill Palpatine
>Disband the Empire
>Send message to all remaining Jedi telling them to start again
>Off yourself immediately after

It's not like the suit was comfortable. The helmet had needles that went into his face.

You've just bit at the cusp of what ruins the prequels more than misdirecting, they never fucking show you anything that you want to see most.

> You want to see the clone wars? Okay here's the first and last battles.

> You want to see jedi? Okay here's some padawans, old men and board meetings.

> You want to see sith force powers? Okay here's more cheesy lightning.

> You want to see more Coruscant? Okay here's an alley and a bar.

>officers fear him
Yeah after the toy sales in episode V.
In episode IV a literally who bullies him into submision.

>What does he actually accomplish that shows him as super fucking strong?
He killed a shitload of younglings

His bodycount is off the charts

He made a homosexual robot out of gold. That was pretty impressive.

Han navigated an asteroid field

The Falcon did. The reason why it's Kessel Run time is impressive isn't because it's the fastest ship it's all the navigational equipment crammed into every nook and cranny.

He wasn't on another ship, you fucking idiots.

Also because the pilot was willing to take higher risks than anyone else to get through faster. And could afford to take those risks because he had the skills to pull it off.

>Is this the biggest plot hole of all time?

Plot hole no, let-down yes.

However Rogue One is rumoured to have a scene where Vader solos an elite enemy unit without raising a sweat, which could be cool.

Yes, he was you fucking moron. Vader had his own ship, the Executor.

They probably could have but Emps wanted him to be isolated and in pain so he could be more easily controlled.

They were BOTH on the Executor. Vader is the de facto commander, but Admiral Ozzel, and later Piett, had official military command. We see the bridge of the Executor early on in the film when Ozzel tries to ignore Piett's discovery on Hoth. The location we see on the vidscreen when Vader strangles Ozzel is the same.

YOU'RE the fucking idiot here.

The most believable reason I've been given is that it was supposed to mimic those old serial films Star Wars was inspired by. It was supposed to start in the middle. Back then you might not see the whole story if you didn't visit the theater often enough so sometimes all you saw was episodes 4,5 and 6 or whatever.

>a Star Destroyer has the same command deck as another Star Destroyer

whoa, you blew my mind there m8

Wny would Ozzel and Piett go to another Star Destroyer for no reason? They are NEVER EVER shown on the deck of another Star Destroyer, they are ALWAYS on the executor, because that's where they were assigned.

you're pretty dumb

this

Didn't you hear Threepio? He said the odds were a million something to one. But Han did it the fuck anyway...

He is actually powerful outside the movies. Making living shields on battlefield with force and stuff like that.

>Grand Moff Tarkin
>basically answers only to the emperor
>in charge of the death star
>a literally who

>72437033

The idea is great. The execution is terrible.

This.

Its literally scary how few people remember that this is the actual explanation for how Vader's power is supposed to work.

He lost most of it, going from God to Demigod.

Ppl can't hack this for some reason and either say:

>"Oh he's still super-powerful, he's just mentally blocked because of Mustafar."

or

>"Oh, he's not, that was just a silly prequels thing."

Both explanations are equally stupid and equally against the spirit of Lucas' story.

Vader. Lost. His. Power.

Is luke's name Starkiller? Coz that's what it was originally INTENDED to be.

Is Han a gross alien? Is Jabba just a fat human?

No?

Coz that was the original INTENTION until Lucas changed his mind and filmed some stuff and put it in his movies and it became Star Wars canon.

Nobody fucking cares what insight you think you have into Lucas' original vision. That is not what Star Wars is.

Vader is the Chosen One, until JJ turns around and makes it Rey's mulatto trans-baby instead.

>More Coruscant

Its not in the Orig Trig. You are either an EU-fag or an idiot.

The rest is just you not liking the stuff you saw. There are plenty of battles and the jedi were as Lucas concieved them.

As for Sith force powers, did you seriously want them to have extra, sorcerer-style magic powers that Jedi don't have?

That's retarded. Lightning is as much as you can do without going all shitty and Merlin-y with it. Be thankful that George showed some restraint.

>Vader is the Chosen One
No you idiot, Vader is the chosen one of his generation. In every generation, there is a new chosen one who is superior to everyone else. This is why the Emperor wanted Anakin. He knew he was the Chosen One and started a whole war to fuck the Republic and get him as his apprentice.

The joke is that if Palpatine would have succeeded, he would have gotten killed by Anakin.

youtube.com/watch?v=5O802FzCKVE

First off, Lucas didn't change his mind, he was convinced to back down on those ideas because the production crew he worked with actually knew what they were doing. The original trilogy was only meant to be an homage to classic space serials of the past, which is why there are so many parallels to Flash Gordan and others. The empire was basically Nazi Germany and I don't care if you ever get off JJs dick, because I'm right and you're wrong cunt.

The hilarity is that Vader is the most powerful in the galaxy because he's the chosen one, and the Emperor has him in a chained box and on a leash.
And also that Vader gets his ass handed to him by everyone else despite being the strongest.

>What does he actually accomplish that shows him as super fucking strong?

Reks rebel pilots. Chokes people telepathically. Shrugs off blaster fire.

Most importantly: Is friends with the Emperor.

>it's that they made him a really annoying teenager that we have no empathy for.
Nice meme

>Palpatine drained her life to give it to Anakin so he could stay alive during the process of getting the suit installed.
That sounds like bullshit.

Once you turn to the dark side, you're pretty much fucked unless something strong pulls you out of it.
Sidious promised a way to cheat death if he were there, not if Anakin killed her himself.

The droid said "For reasons we can't explain, we're losing her. She has lost the will to live."

They couldn't explain because droids can't feel the force.