Literal garbage music

Literal garbage music

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Be1zKFcFdTM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=iP8_Dbvpi-A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Frontiers [Columbia, 1983]

For those of you wondering how much worse it could be, this top 10 album could be outselling Thriller or Flashdance or Pyromania. My suggestion is for Steve Perry to run as a moderate Republican from, say, Nebraska where his oratory would garner excellent press, and then, having shed his video game interests, ram the tape tax through. D+

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]

I fuckin' hate Journey.

I need to rent the christgau books from my local library, these seem like they would be humorous.

Great music for torturing POWs in Guantanamo Bay.

How did a fucking amazing jazz fusion band turn into the most garbage dadrock pop band of all time?

Has anyone ever heard the original album? It's amazing.

The fucking instrumentals tho

Because the band were all poor and first three albums were barely selling, so Columbia issued them an ultimatum; get a frontman and record shorter songs with a bigger emphasis on melody.

Why do excecutives ruin everything?

or be dropped, rather. They recruited a then-unknown Robert Fleischman (Who would later go on to sing on Vinnie Vincent's solo albums) who had quite a similar voice to David Byron from Uriah Heep, but he rowed with management after a few months and was shown the door. Enter Steve Perry, a guy whose influence all stemmed from '60s soul music. I mean, the most rockin' stuff he liked was Free; they were never going back to the prog sound.

Street Talk [Columbia, 1985]

The head Journeyman's cameo on Live Aid for Africa gives me an idea of what I missed, which is the musical equivalent of gastroenteritis. Pat Boone never learned, so why should Steve Perry? Oversinging signifies not soul, but will and desperation. Upped a notch for good intentions and in case Sam Cooke has finally taught him a lesson. C+

It's a good yacht rock album.

youtube.com/watch?v=Be1zKFcFdTM

I ran into a cassette copy in a thrift store recently.

They didn't want to take Steve Perry, but Columbia threatened to drop them otherwise.

USA For Africa? Anyway, that came out a good year after Street Talk. I get the impression that Christgau completely ignored the album until Perry appeared on USA For Africa and then belatedly went and reviewed it.

wtf I hate Steve Perry now

Also Journey up to 1977 were practically unknown outside of NorCal. It's not very acceptable for a major label band to not be getting any national following.

The prog/jazz-fusion stuff was really just the first two albums and album three (Next) got a little closer to the sound they became known for, but they still had no frontman or vocal personality of note, and nothing with hit/single potential.

I like em

Neal Schon played with Sammy Hagar and some other veteran hard rock guys on Through The Fire. The poor guy must have been relieved to actually do some real rock-and-roll after years of Steve Perry's bullshit.

I deeply enjoy Journey, especially Raised On Radio. I'm not ashamed

Why is Steve Perry such a douchebag?

That's like asking why Jeffery Dahmer was such a cannibal serial killer.

Ugggh, all the worst the 80s had to offer on a single album.

I'll fight anyone who doesn't like this song

m.youtube.com/watch?v=iP8_Dbvpi-A

If you don't like at least Seperate Ways, Any Way you want it and Send Her my Love I will slit your thoat and shove Wheezer CD's in the hole

This. Journey is GOAT for what it was.

t. someone who's ongoing dream is to write a Mamma Mia-style West End musical set to the Steve Perry-era Journey catalogue.

Are their progressive rock albums worth listening to? They weren't highly rated on RYM though, but that could be due to their arena rock and pop fans who despise anything original.

I love how Steve Perry's nephew posts on Sup Forums and shills for this POS band.

I'm a fucking asian you snobbish fucknugget

Dude, face it, Journey would have been GOAT if they continued with their Jazz Fusion sound

I hate Journey, but I hate Christgau even more...

That logo reminds me of the screaming chicken thing on Pontiac Firebirds. Oh well, it was that era.

I don't always agree with him, but he was sure right about Styx and Journey.

>How did a fucking amazing jazz fusion band turn into the most garbage dadrock

Momrock.

Can anyone bother to answer?

I'd say they are, just form your own opinions

I'm not asking for thought transplants, I'm asking for an answer in regards to what I've mentioned in my previous post.
>They weren't highly rated on RYM though, but that could be due to their arena rock and pop fans who despise anything original.