Apparently yesterday a decent sized asteroid passed within 9000 miles of the west coast of america...

Apparently yesterday a decent sized asteroid passed within 9000 miles of the west coast of america. That is a damn near miss.

Previously undetected, we had 6 hours warning.

Should we as a society be investing more in a defence system against this?

Other urls found in this thread:

www2.jpl.nasa.gov/sl9/back2.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>decent sized asteroid
It was less than 3 meters across, dude. That's why it wasn't detected until it was close. You are fake news.

>west coast of america
coulda solved a good chunk of the excess voters in californ-eye-aye

I doubt it. Everyone wants money for their science project, which is fine, but that's where all of the amazing space stories that go nowhere come from. It could be that this 9000 miles off is a lot more significant from very far away and thus was rightfully not identified until it got obviously close.

FAYK NOOS !

Propaganda.

we should raise taxes by 8% to finance a study for astroid defense systems. i'd give them no time limit and unlimited budget. and i'd create a new college degree for astroid defense.

>small
Unless it lands in your suburb where it would make a crater the size of a football stadium.

Should we be investing in a missile system to take these things out or just continue to play the chances?

The next one might be 20m. Or even 50 and destroy a whole city

lets not and just hope one lands in the middle east

Unless there's precious metals/stones, or fucking oil to take, they ain't gonna do shit. That'd mean a budget for NASA, and lord knows that politicians *cough* GOP *cough* don't like spending money on anything science-related unless it turns them a profit.

>Should we be investing in a missile system to take these things out
You mean the atmosphere?

Many presidents have tried to introduce the idea. I wish it didn't fall to the military. God damn $1000 toilet seats and bullshit.

Still pretty small on an earthly scale. You're obviously paranoid.

>3m asteroid
>Crater size of a football field

Pretty serious. If it hits land, dust covers the sun for many years killing all life slowly. If it hits water, a giant wave can circle the globe twice.

Yes, yes we should.

If we want to take our destiny in our own hands at least.

There's no defense against this

>thinking it wouldn't become dust entering the atmosphere

NASA and JPL disagree with your baseless assertion. "In fact, up to a diameter of about 10-meters (33 feet), most stony meteoroids are destroyed in the atmosphere in thermal explosions." www2.jpl.nasa.gov/sl9/back2.html

Stop panicking, user. The chances of a large asteroid striking the earth are small, and the chances of one hitting any populated area are even smaller. 99% of the planet is water and/or unpopulated and nobody has been killed by an asteroid in thousands of years.

It doesn't matter all that much about the size, but the speed it travels because of kinetic energy.

Not paranoid. Just realistic. One of these 'small' undetected asteroids will severly fuck up your day if it lands within a couple of miles of you. I understand the probabilities are miniscule, but we are completely unprepared for it... where it wouldnt take that much effort or adaption of existing technology to be protected.

3 metres would burn up in the atmosphere... before it even hit earth.

It'd take something like half a mile long to even make it to the ground to do any damage. Even then... evacuate a city. BOOM safe.

As much as I'm scared of asteroids and shit, I know the specifics of them it's hardly anything to worry about.

3 metre would burn up before hitting earth.

The amount of burn up dpends on the angle of incidence. There is no guarrantee that small ones wont get through at steep inclines and larger ones fall as dust at low angles.

There is no safe size.

The Chelyabinsk meteor was ~17m across and released ~460 kilotons (30 Hiroshima bombs). Had it come straight down into a major urban area it could have killed millions.

life is cheap. the sooner you learn that the better. no one gives a fuck about a suburb community. It will be a tragic loss and we'll mourn them in the press but the fact is we could lose 100 and it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference. As long as the people who make the decisions that control your life are safe, they don't give a fuck. That's the sad but true reality. It always has been and always will be.

that sounds like paranoia

This

How rude!

Sadly i think this is true.

Better things to spend our money on etc

>The next one might be 20m. Or even 50 and destroy a whole city
20 meters hit every decade or so.
Cities are a good deal harder to hit than you think.

Agreed. The chances are miniscule.

But it only has to happen once for much regret. In my mind this is gambling with nature where it wouldnt take that much investment / adaption to protect against it.

Wu knew

>it wouldnt take that much investment
>the development of entirely new systems and technologies of detection and interception on a scale never before seen in human history
Oh yeah sure, and it probably wouldn't even be unwise to transfer all of those funds and research and development teams over to a risk that is so miniscule there's a good chance a great number of things would have long since wiped us out before it's needed.
Someone put this guy in charge, he's onto somehting.

My napkin based estimate based on virtually no expertise at all suggests it would cost less than one new aircraft carrier or spy plane program.

And may actually benefit americans.

>rock can burn

Build that Wall

No illegal Asteroid on my earth

no, no we should not

How does Thermodynamic work?

You're more likely to be killed by niggers.

>How does Thermodynamic work?
Nobody really knows

no, because the earth is flat and space is fake and this is propaganda

Magnets maybe?

EVEN IF EARTH IS FLAT IT COULD STILL HIT

I don't believe in magnets.

Did you not watch the simpsons?

Well then they're out of the equation. Come on people think!

I don't believe in niggers.

>Should we as a society be investing more in a defence system against this?

No. 'We' should funnel more money to programs to help impoverished single mothers because Children are the Future.

Ever heard of the sprinter missile system?

N00B DETECTED

You're a fucking idiot if you dont understand basic physics.

>implying half-blacks are the future of anything but welfare and jail

It was 10 feet wide and would have burned up. Calm down. If it was significantly larger, it would have been detected much earlier.

>worried about space rocks
>niggers everywhere

>sptinter missile system

Operational range 25 miles (40km)

Flight ceiling 19 miles (30km)

Going to need to go a fair bit further than that... but yeah. Good idea.

Why isnt it being modified to suit?

How do tou know it would have burned up? Getting your science from your neighbors son again?

>TFW your neighbors son knows more about the universe than you.

because we have a space death laser orbiting earth.. there was a documentary on it about 20 years ago aired publicly and then I havent heard shit about it since.

I identify as meteor and can confirm that the user is right it about burning up.

I would have to think of a witty response, but you missed an apostrophe. Nice try matey :*

First, a 17m asteroid is a lot rarer than a 3 m, and a lot bigger. Roughly 180 times more massive.

Secondly, even the 17m was taken out by the earth's atmosphere.

It's worth watching for serious rocks, but this was a pebble.

1 cm is safe, idiot.

Stop oppressing me

Because 20 years ago someone watched star wars and then went on telly and said 'we haz a deth star'

Then somone pointed out what it would cost and it was forgotten about.

A direct hit that tunnels straight through the atmosphere is a lot rarer than a skimmer.

This happens all the time, there's a major story about at least once a month.

I wanna die anyway

I can't believe how heartless you guys are. Instead of trying to shoot them down, we should send out rescue missions to safely get meteors to earth.

But meteors are a bolldes of peace.

A few bad examples, like Tunguska or the one that the destroyed the dinosaurs, don't reflect on other bolides. That's just celestial objectism.

doesn't a near miss (or nearly missing) mean you actually hit it. You *nearly* missed, so you didn't actually miss,

I like your jokes annon. Good work

Only if you're an aspie. Other people just use the common definition, whether or not it makes literal sense if you look at the roots.

A miss that was near is a "near miss".

You retred.

Meteors are sometimes composed of various super rare metals like platinum. We're actually trying to figure out a way to bring them to earth safely so we can mine them

or we could put that money into research for solar or wind power and stop doing damage to the planet ourselves.

there is a hell of alot better chance of us destroying this place than a rock

the daytime ones are such a waste. its a pretty show to watch these burn up

and absolutely COVERED IN RADIATION. we have enough of that shit going on tyvm

Near Earth Objects contain more metals than all the metals humanity has mined, to date. All the gold we have mined on Earth came from asteroids, originally.

It isn't paranoia if the threat to our existence is real though.

checked

>It isn't paranoia if the threat to our existence is real though.

it still is. paranoia is the unreasonable feeling or thought that some negative thing WILL happen. as in guarenteed.

an asteroid big enough to cause damage may happen but the odds are so low that any normal person should not worry about it

We've had an asteroid defense team since like the late nineties, maybe you should go outside more you fuckin basement dwellers.

you haven't had that science class yet? damn, must be hard being 12

picrelated is the only "defense" we need. The asteroid was a warning. We can either continue playing God by doing satanic science and descending into degeneracy, or we can repent and embrace the Lord. Its your choice.

Amen user.

Repent now you feral heathens.

>picrelated is the only "defense" we need
How the fuck is smelling your fingers gonna help against a gigaton of rock moving at several miles per second?

I lay awake in bed thinking about this

And I lay awake in bed thinking about you, user.

Bullshit.
It would be ALL FUCKEN OVER THE NEWS if that happened.

link (to reputable news site with article) or next fake news please ?

If it was made of kryptonite, it might weaken Trump ! Oh My !

fuck id do that degree yeah cunt

a """"""small""""" asteroid is gonna burn up in the atmosphere before it reaches Earth you TWAAAAT

amazing

If the 17m asteroid was as powerful as 30 hiroshima bombs, then the 3m one may be as powerful as 0.0051 hiroshima bombs.
Or 0.5% as powerful as a nuclear bomb. That's pretty powerful.

Woops I forgot to multiply it by 30 at the end.
It could be as powerful as 0.15 hiroshima bombs or 15% as powerful as a nuke.

You need remedial maths. Do they offer that at the community college where you do your pottery degree?

> solar or wind power
I think you mean nuclear.