Does it deserve the praise?

does it deserve the praise?

I appreciate them making an album with a more distinct sound rather than try to impersonate their previous sounds.

I like it a lot.

Fuck it, it's a 5.

>fairly consistent songs
>comeback album after 22 years and not shit

I think the praise is fair for it unless everyone claims that is a masterpiece when it truly isnt

just a solid record and my expectations werent really high t b h

Im a huge Slowdive fan and i thought Star Roving and the other single where shit.

Please tell me the rest of the album is good.

The rest of the album is good. I have no fucking idea why they picked that song as the first single. Well above average for a decades-later comeback album.

i think its just better than most peoples low expectations. its mediocre and i wouldnt listen to it if it was just some random shoegaze band

this

except the singles are great you plebeian
>troo
fans can fuck off

ok, im listening to the album now and slomo is a fucking masterpiece in comparison to Star roving and Sugar for the pill, more in the line of what i wanted from these guys.

It kinda reminds me of Long Season by Fishmans by the way lol

Ok, Slomo is fucking great if the rest is at the same level im going to cry.

Oh, the album definitely has its surprises. Sugar For The Pill is my least favorite but even that has grown on me quite a bit. The album as a whole works pretty well.

I went in expecting complete mediocrity and came out with a slow burn of a grower. First felt it was a 7, now I'm feeling like an 8 some 10 or so listens later.

Actually fuck it, it's a 5.

Is this yet another forced meme that I've missed?

it's from a shitty RYM review that was featured on the front page

If by 5 you mean 5 out of 10 I'd totally agree

Felt like its a 6 desu. Its not bad, but it plays it pretty safe. I would expect a band like Slowdive to bring some amount of innovation to the table, but they just sound like generic indie rock band #347

Or maybe indie rock bands just sound like Slowdive.

Yes, back in the day slowdive helped pioneer the modern indie rock sound. My point is that its time for something new rather than continuing to what every other band is doing right now. Their sound is stale af

Kind of find it hard to hold that against a band who hadn't put out a record in over two decades but sure. I'm just happy the album isn't an abject disaster of a comeback album. Could've been way worse, it could've sucked.

I said its not bad, what do you want from me? You want me to pretend I like the album more than I did because you have a raging hard-on for this band?

what was it for?

literally just go to rateyourmusic.com

its pretty hard for me not to... im already onyl giving it the time of day because its slowdive. not gonna pretend like id listen to it if it was someone else.

was fully expecting it to be a letdown, and was pleasantly surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did

the two singles are probably the weakest links in the chain, but I still enjoyed them

solid 7-8/10 for me, but I am a rabid Slowdive fan

oh shit, I thought they'd have changed it by now

I'm actually not much of a Slowdive fan, which is why I'm surprised I like the album as much as I do. I don't think they needed to reinvent the wheel here. Coming out with a fundamentally solid album was good enough for a band in their position. Brush off the cobwebs first, then try something new.

Maybe I'm crazy, maybe I'm biased when it comes to Slowdive (or maybe I'm a little bit of both), but this is hands-down one of the best albums I've heard this year, and may possibly become the best I've heard by the end of the year.

I get that it's natural to be a little concerned after the release of "Star Roving," and I'll admit that was my first thought too. It's a great song, but it recalls a lot of generic nu-gaze sound that's been popular throughout the 2010's. Fortunately, the song grew on me quite a bit, and it's also the only misstep on this album. I was afraid that maybe they'd sound more like a wannabe Slowdive rather than the real deal. Thankfully I was wrong.

This recalls a lot of Slowdive's older work, namely Just for a Day (there's a little Souvalki sprinkled in as well with "No Longer Making Time" and "Don't Know Why"), and brings it to the present. Rachel's voice is just as ethereal and soothing as it was in the 90's. The tremolo wails of the guitar are everywhere. Neil's voice, though definitely taking on some age, is still just as lovely, and the age actually brings a new dimension to the sound I think. "Sugar for the Pill" even brings us a new side from Slowdive we've never experienced before and makes a killer ambient track.

There's just so much here to love. "Slowmo" and "No Longer Making Time" are some of my favorites from Slowdive. I went into this with subpar-for-Slowdive expectations, especially after "Star Roving," but wow.. Incredible album, everything here just blew me away. Slowdive has aged wonderfully. Best thing since Souvlaki. Prolly gonna move this up after some time passes.

Fuck it, it's a 5.

Not remotely. Fanboys and people who don't want to be "rude" and call it the painfully average shit that it is.

Can I get a link? The only ones up in the archive are fakes

>people who don't want to be "rude"
Yeah, that's definitely an issue here

>people who don't want to be "rude"

Slomo - 5/5
Star roving - 3.5/5
Dont know why - 5/5
Sugar for the pill - 4/5
Everyone knows - 4/5
No longer making time - 5/5
Go get it - 4.5/5
Falling ashes a 3.5/5