Multiple free ways of getting your music out there

>multiple free ways of getting your music out there
>thanks to laptops and audio interfaces, you can make decent quality recordings in your bedroom
>easier and cheaper than ever to learn an instrument due to online resources
>the entire recorded history of music is at your fingertips to study... at no cost
>yet, the 2010s have been the worst decade for popular music

What gives?

Everyone can make music

the true gems of the 2010s have yet to be found

The industry that everyone complains about is a vital part of filtering and promoting the very best that the era has to offer.

what do you mean?
we're 7 years into the 2010s.

Retro Fetishization is a big problem

Trash like Tame Impala is hailed as rock's new saviors when they are really just retreading over ground covered decades and decades ago.

Gizzard too.

You can observe this in vaporwave, which is a lazy talentless hack genre who put more effort into album covers than they do the actual music. Wowwww you slowed down a sample and added chops, it's like a dystopian vision of the future from the 80s or something!!!

When it's not sample based it's just boring ambient, or "trap" flavored drum programming, the only decent version of the latter being Blank Banshee

Rap is suffering from an identity crisis in that the young people like trap and pretty lazy trap at that, and the old hip hop heads still want THAT REAL GRIMY HIP HOP SHIT. Lil B, while being incredible in his own right, influenced a generation of trash rappers who put their shit on soundcloud, recording over beats that took ten minutes tops to make.

Rock is boring and stagnated years ago. Electronic is exciting but very saturated so it's hard to find the good good stuff. Metal fell into a djent rut and now everyone's buying 7 strings and tuning to drop A.

The few exciting acts of the decade are the ones who had the gall to stand out. Death Grips, though memed to oblivion here, came with a unique sound. As does Clarence Clarity, Holly Herndon and others in her vicinity, VHS Head, and others.

The thing is people have mostly stopped paying for it. There is no incentive for the vastly talented.

>Metal fell into a djent rut and now everyone's buying 7 strings and tuning to drop A.

djent hasn't been popular since 2013. I agree that metal's in a rut but imo that's more because of bandcamp atmospheric black metal and retro fetishiziation (as you've mentioned) than djent per se

Sounds like someone doesn't realize hypnogogic pop has been around for years and Ariel pink and john Maus have been making music since the 90's

clarence clarity hasn't done anything hudson mohawke didn't do first, i'm not kidding

recommend me a clarence clarity song to start with? i just listened to one and it's pretty insane

Point me to one Hudson Mohawke song that sounds like Those who can't cheat pls

>I'm just going to ignore all your points and show off that I know Ariel Pink

I give Ariel more respect because he's been doing it for years, way before it was the trendy thing to do. He's an exception to the rule though

Honestly around the time I stopped following metal. I check back in but I find a lot of pop metal, metalcore/pop punk fusions, easy core shit popping up. At least in the scenes around here, and that sound seems to be the one resonating with young people, that and deathcore type stuff on a smaller level. I can dig the occasional thrash revival but really it's not like they're touching the classics.

This. Only the test of time will tell

Yeah retro fetishization in any genre is definitely cancer. Even the excessive use of 808 and 909 sounds triggers my autism. These samples are 33 and 37 fucking years old its time to move on.

Holy shit I feel the same way, I feel using the 808 drum kit a lot is a sign of artistic laziness.

how do you stand out in this day and age?

More irony and more memes, obviously.

Honestly all it takes is just something A LITTLE different.

You have an endless amount of music from the world to pull from, combine, sample, or whatever it may be. You have infinite things you can do to drum samples everyone uses, you have near infinite drum samples to choose that no one uses, you have 1000s upon 1000s of plugins you could use, each with their own adjustable parameters that you can use to get your own unique sound. You have 1000s of vsts to use for free. There's near INFINITE ways to stand out from everyone. Not falling into genre traps seems to be the way. Too often we hear bands say "we want to make music like x" or producers saying "I want to make music like y". Learn their tricks, sure, but find your own sound. I can say I've found my own sound through this, and although it's basic and primordial right now, I can say that I'm not familiar with any music like mine. There may be some out there in the ether, but it certainly isn't well known.

The answer is pretty obvious if you think about it OP.

>ease of creating and distributing music creates an opportunity for thousands of talentless copycats to post generic house music or whatever on soundcloud, making it much harder to find quality music
>most true innovation in music has already been achieved prior to the 2010s, so genuinely new and exciting music is much harder to make, if not impossible
>liberal media and cultural marxism mean mediocre artists like Kendrick are given exceptional critical reviews and extensive radio play

Electronic music in therms of new genres (as opposed to new subgenres to old established genres like industrial techno, outsider house, etc.) is also a dead scene.

>all this
>still no gf

what gives?

no soul in it

This 1,000,000%. Everything just said is true. Especially that part about Death Grips. That's exactly why we love them so much on here, they're genuinely doing some new shit, for better or worse.

Sad. The only thing that gives me hope for this generation are people like Kendrick who can sell records and are talented as fuck.

>people like Kendrick who [...] are talented as fuck
lmao

while i agree that retro fetishism for retro fetishism sake is an issue with all music, i don't outright dislike something for it and a lot of good music comes out of it.
>Electronic is exciting but very saturated so it's hard to find the good good stuff.
also agreed. i think there's too much dance music, idm, and ambient in the overall genre.
>Metal fell into a djent rut
while djent has pretty much died out, i thought animals as leaders were the most interesting thing to happen to the genre in years. there's too much "stoner metal" now.

I fucking hate wen /moo/ fags try to talk about metal like they're not some type of falsie

>gizzard too
dropped
literally NOBODY hated king gizzard when they were just a bandcamp literally who startup. even up through nonagon infinity they were highly praised here. but now suddenly everybody knows the name and we're just supposed to change our minds?

>yet, the 2010s have been the worst decade for popular music
>popular music
>pop
OP is completely wrong. There is all kinds of great pop music these days. Pop music is not the problem genre.

>multiple free ways of getting your music out there
There used to be only one way. It involved travel, events, and a fair amount of investment from everyone involved. Just sayin'.

Hip-hop is stuck between underground rappers who make it big with whites (particularly in Minnesota) and trap rappers who are more popular among blacks. Trap is lazy and easy to produce, and even the "catchy" songs are just sampled and slightly changed. Underground is essentially a bunch of people who do the exact same thing as each other, but manage to sound different, and I give them respect for that. Neither is good, but in their own right neither is bad.

I knew a gizzard fan would come to save the day

They're trash buddy, the only difference between now and then was that it wasn't a problem when they were trash and nobodies, but now they're influencing countless others to be talentless hacks like them.

I lost interest in metal years ago, as I said. Please point me to a new band that innovates metal and sounds good.

AAL were one of the good from that crowd because Tosin had the sound forever and he's genuinely extremely talented.

t. falsie