/prod/: Music production general - Classic Lunga edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/1ax3k4r5
clyp.it/4pl0bilw
clyp.it/zdaagisr
soundcloud.com/thunderstone-radio/fb3
soundcloud.com/soulection/sets/dkvpz-soulection-white-label-019
clyp.it/wycsdeee
clyp.it/pc4fqhef
clyp.it/abrvwn3k
clyp.it/elgw0lcm
clyp.it/x41k22z4
clyp.it/gmcwrlmj
youtube.com/watch?v=vA2CyYdrBLQ
clyp.it/ijmmv4eb
clyp.it/jbpwmmof
clyp.it/x3jteozk
clyp.it/zsbp0414
clyp.it/yuwdsht2
www8.zippyshare.com/v/meiKIHUR/file.html
clyp.it/esm50rzb
clyp.it/k1y1hmu5
clyp.it/5jb54fn2
clyp.it/2kvgja55
soundcloud.com/xlr8r/sets/yair-elazar-glotman-etudes
twitter.com/AnonBabble

too autistic to stick with a genre

Sticking with a genre would be exactly what an autist would do, though.

what are some divrese albums for inspiration then?

I go from wanting to make folk music to then 3 hours later making nu funk

I don't know any diverse albums, desu.
What I would do in your situation, is find a way to make them work together. Folk and nu funk are to extremes, so to speak.
Panopticon makes black metal and bluegrass work together somehow.

clyp.it/1ax3k4r5

First try at recording a song in Ableton. Spent a night on it but I don't know if I should scrap it. More of a proof of concept. For sure want to replace the drums with real ones and switch the highhats to a floor tom

I actually really liked that, which almost never happens for me in /prod/. Overall really pleasant, good composition, and the production wasn't bad. I agree that real drums would sound a little better, but it didn't even sound that bad with obviously synthetic drums.

Thnx, first time recording on something other than my phone so I still got a fair bit to learn. Gotta get gud on mixing too cuz it feels off n uneven.

That's the dopest shit I've heard in a while. And I hate shoegaze. Maybe I should listen more to shoegaze.

rough thing I made last week. probably not gonna do any more with it so I might as well share it here

clyp.it/4pl0bilw

Is the sp 404sx worth buying? Are there better sampler machines or is this still the best out there?

Really diggin it but the intro felt too sharp I think. Did get a whole lot better when the drums and bass kicked in. Good shit

Just made lyrics for my friend's emo rock song. Pls critique it harshly. I made it within 2 hours

It's faggy and edgy. In other words, it's perfect for emo.

clyp.it/zdaagisr

I'm not too sure about the structure, seems a bit too linear.
Any other thoughts in general?

Hey /prod/, what do you guys think of Brazilian funk making the rounds as the trendy new bass music? I see a lot of people experimenting and mixing it with American r&b/hiphop. I'm having fun trying to reproduce these really syncopated rhythms and the wonky productions.

Here's a decent mix for the curious:
soundcloud.com/thunderstone-radio/fb3
and a nice single
soundcloud.com/soulection/sets/dkvpz-soulection-white-label-019

bought pic related a while ago but can't come up with what to do with it in a live setting.
when i play live i have only one audio track going, so is there something i can do with this thing to have some fun (manipulating effects, etc)? i'd appreciate any vst recs for this matter. i know 'glitch' vst but i don't feel it works well

Clyp or fuck off.

fuck off sc is more legit than clyp why would I upload other's music to a third party site

Honestly it just sounds like normal beats and future bass with 'ethnic' sampling

My bad, i saw soundcloud and jerked my knee

clyp.it/wycsdeee

What the hell

The fuck's this, kys

>mfw my padKontrol won't work in Bitwig even though it's in their list of supported controllers and when asked about it they basically said fuck you

>still
i dont think it ever really was the best. it got memed into popularity by low end theory people and a bunch of other artists using them (not that i have anything against low end theory people, i actually like a lot of them). as a sampler i just never really liked mine that much when i did own it. the process of trimming the start/end times of samples was really irritating, there was some really stupid limitations for resampling too (if i remember correctly it was that you could only resample up to 4 mono sounds at once or 2 stereo, and that you couldn't resample patterns), the pitch and time shifting algorithms never really sounded that great to me compared to software samplers or other hardware samplers...
i mean, buy one if you want, just know that there are limitations

Would like some feedback because I suck at mixing. Track isn't finished but I'd like to know where I'm at.

clyp.it/pc4fqhef

Few questions:
1. There are instances in Ableton Live where I will play it in the program itself, but once I export it it will sound different and there will be elements that will change (for example, the one part in this track where the bass suddenly takes over at around 1:20, even though it doesn't do that in Ableton Live).
2. Whenever I listen to other SC or Clyp tracks they always seem louder to me. I always try to keep my master in Ableton Live at -3 db. Are you supposed to bump that up once you actually start mastering?

Any other feedback on would be more than welcome ofc.

How do I make ambient music like Tim Hecker?

>2. Whenever I listen to other SC or Clyp tracks they always seem louder to me. I always try to keep my master in Ableton Live at -3 db. Are you supposed to bump that up once you actually start mastering?
desu your track has good volume for me, so i say keep it that way

also liking your music, reminds me of Tangerine Dreams

Kind of expected a roast on this one, thanks for the positive feedback though! Is there anything that bothers you in this track though, I'd love to continue with this one and improve it.

I feel like the track should fade out at about 3:30 and end there. The vibrating sound that is introduced at 1:41 feels slightly out of place and could be changed a bit so it does not sound so harsh.

is there even such a thing as stereo midi

it's a meme

clyp.it/abrvwn3k

How can i improve this?

I would add some slight distortion to make it sound more lo-fi. But that's just a personal preference.

clyp.it/elgw0lcm

can I get some r8's /prod/, I'll return feedback/r8's

To the master?

I guess that would be it, yeah.

>clyp.it/elgw0lcm
What a pleasant surprise to hear to savant!
I like it, the chops and chords sound good.

thanks, I've remade a lot of his shit

the best/10

>stereo midi

wat

The mix is great. Stylistic choices are highly questionable.

That intro has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the song. Just need to add a "mom shut the fuck up" a beat before the drop and ur all done.

see oppic

thanks, i appreciate

I agree, I wanted to make a serious remix but halfway through I decided I wasn't inspired enough to do that so threw in a memey drop

clyp.it/x41k22z4

Really want to get a female guest vocalist for this track.

I usually pack my tracks with heaps of vocal samples to fill it out, but I've tried leaving some space in this one.

Thoughts?

The only thing I wanna do more than make music is listen to music

Fuck I'm the complete opposite. I hardly listen to music nowadays.

because I use up the time listening to music. Its pretty hard to work on music while listening to other music

setting up an orchestral template is pain

I made this using only samples that my own mouth produced.

truly a masterpiece in the making

clyp.it/gmcwrlmj

Well. True. Although I often find myself playing guitar when there's music playing.

youtube.com/watch?v=vA2CyYdrBLQ

absolute madman

That's some high-.level autism right there.

that's some weak bait right there

Am I wrong?

Aren't drummers usually the least autistic musicians?

i wonder if he could play that on real drums

He's a real drummer as well

In the sense that their retardation is not caused by autism, yes. They are the most retarded musicians.
It's the lead guitarist you could make the autism case for, I think.

Where's my Synth1 people?

yes

No. Fuck you.

you're probably just mad at your own inability to play that way on real drums or midi controllers lol

I wish that I had the drive to want to make real music. I keep wasting a short amount of time making trash like this. clyp.it/ijmmv4eb

Someone help me stop my autism.
clyp.it/jbpwmmof
clyp.it/x3jteozk
clyp.it/zsbp0414
I don't think that making shit like this is helping me at all.

That's basically all the elements you need in that genre right? Aside from swooshes when you add and remove elements of the loop and maybe a vocal hook.

The thing is that I don't even want to make music that sounds anything like this. I just do it to kill an hour and then I end up feeling like shit after.

Well what do you want to make? Any idea of what's stopping you?

Do you primarily listen to the sort of music that you want to make? Listen to something else so you have more ideas to draw from. Creativity is just taking ideas from a bunch of places and fitting them together in a new way.

That Mi0 throaty bass is nice.

clyp.it/yuwdsht2

Here's a proper Init patch in case other people don't have one for Synth1. www8.zippyshare.com/v/meiKIHUR/file.html

honestly envisioning a 12 year old with ADD and babies-first-piano-roll... thats the only take away from the track.

stick to your commercial audio day job.

I listen to so many different kinds of music that I don't even know what I want to make. I wish I could make something like Adam F's Colours or something like Shpongle.

I just can't seem to make anything serious when I try to. I don't even listen to anything like what I make most of the time.

how du u guiz leik mi sang

clyp.it/esm50rzb
clyp.it/esm50rzb
clyp.it/esm50rzb

icy cool smooth as fuck

make some sort of introduction, i really like this tho

Do you have the samples and patches for that or do you just have a bunch of electro and house collections from Vengeance?

I remember someone from Noisia describing his first foray into electronic music and he was making trance music but it all sucked and it took him a bit to figure out why. He was using an acoustic drum sample.

>He was using an acoustic drum sample.
huh

igorrr

His music sounded bad because he was using the wrong material, an acoustic kick instead of a heavy synth kick.

For whatever reason it's easy for you to setup a house track with the proper drums and synths, maybe there's the problem. Is that all you have?

Thoughts on this? Mediocre or decent? I can't tell.

clyp.it/k1y1hmu5

>Mediocre or decent?

You know this is great stop lying to yourself

Nah man, I really don't know. I've been listening to this on a loop for a while so I don't really know what to think of it anymore honestly. I can't tell if i'm just burnt out on the track or if its actually kinda mediocre.

I have shitloads of free drum samples I've found. I make all the garbage synths though.

If I had drums that sounded more natural I might find it easier to make what I want. That actually might be the problem.

I can't arrange my tracks well. How do you transition between parts, how do you know how to arrange your parts and what to add??

sample of my work
clyp.it/5jb54fn2

Much better than the usual lazy shite that passes for sample based hip hop in these threads.

My only criticisms would be that the time stretch and the retrigger glitch bit near the start don't really fit, and the drums could do with a bit of variance.

Is there any free drum sample plugin/kontakt library/sample set that comes close to Superior Drummer and friends? Really can't buy anything right now, I regret not getting SD when they had a pretty good offer.

Whats everyones intentions for making music?

Trying to make it big? Killing time? Fun?

My goal is making 2K$/month. Currently 0$.

I want to learn how to recreate songs from scratch and apply that to create music similar to songs I like that I believe there is not enough off.

for transitions try drum fills, instrument tags, momentary delay/reverb/mute/etc.

as for figuring out what parts to add, maybe try coming up with all of your parts before you start arranging them?
eg start a song by putting everything on a 32 bar loop, record in a drum part, a bass line, etc.
Keep adding more and more tracks that sound good together until there is too much going on. Then mute/unmute parts to build each section. that will ensure the over-all groove remains consistent for the song and should make your transitions smoother from part to part. If you want to change up the melody at some point, go for it, but try to make sure some parts from the other section are shared.

>as for figuring out what parts to add, maybe try coming up with all of your parts before you start arranging them?
woah.. that's an unbad idea.
I'll try doing that next time.
Also thanks for your transitions ideas. I have this question though - are the bars always supposed to align with the grid? Like, if I make my transition a silence for a beat, without taking away from the previous or next bar's time.. is that bad? Sorry if I didn't explain it well.

Use time signature automation to add a single bar of 1/4 before going back to 4/4, then you can have your one beat pause without going out of sync with the grid

How would you guys proceed with this track. I want to keep it very dark and primal.

clyp.it/2kvgja55

>Creativity is just taking ideas from a bunch of places and fitting them together in a new way.

This shit right here is what REALLY bothers me. I don't have any problem with "stealing", i.e. getting inspired when I am designing something visual.

But I just can't do it with my music. I don't start with some kind of inspiration when I produce/compose, I just try to make something completely my own (which, of course is still a result of everything I've ever listened to), so I always, always get stuck and drop the project. I just can't finish it. It happened twice just today.

I don't know why my workflow is so different in this field, but it is making things a lot harder. I can't even bring myself to borrow a chord progression, it just feels wrong here.

God, sorry for my ranting, it's been a bad day again. Why can't I finish just one song and be proud of it? Am I asking too much? Some people have built their careers in shorter time period than I've been producing (around 3 years), while I'm sitting here wondering why I haven't finished a single piece. Creative work is HARD:

Can't force creativity

Anyone knows how to achieve this bass?

soundcloud.com/xlr8r/sets/yair-elazar-glotman-etudes

I'll try to make something similar with Omnisphere, but it's kinda cheating.

I am currently trying recreating other people's tracks, trying to make them sound as close as possible to the original. I am slowly getting better at it.

I heard it helped a lot of people. You might want to try it