Traditionally, humor in the US has been described as either Jewish or Irish

Traditionally, humor in the US has been described as either Jewish or Irish.

These two immigrant groups dominated comedy during the Vaudeville days, and to this day are probably the biggest ethnic groups in comedy.

Jewish comedy is more situational, finding humor in fictitious or societal scenarios. Jewish comedy can be low-key, with more realistic dialogue and more relatable characters. Dialogue itself is less important, as most humor derives from the absurdity of the situation. Archetypal examples are either Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Irish comedy is more expressive, based on the British Isles' tradition of clowning and slapstick comedy. Irish comedy tends to generate humor from the absurdity of its characters rather than their surrounding, with an emphasis on snappy dialogue rather than a funny implication. The obvious example is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Post examples of comedy. Anons determine if it's Jewish or Irish.

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/tv/1469552696009.jpg
newsday.com/entertainment/tv/futurama-finds-a-new-future-on-comedy-central-1.1402526
youtube.com/watch?v=uD6Oi2kySSU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tina_Fey#Early_life
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Chappelle's Show.

Arrested Development

Irish
Nigger

Are you claiming that Always Sunny ISN'T funny because of the implication?

I'm Alan Partridge

Simpsons

Take a guess.

English, obviously.

Sunny is pretty much the only American comedy I can stand

this one?

Seinfeld and Sunny are practically the same in terms of humor. What are you saying?
The subtitle of one of the seasons was literally "seinfeld on crack".

Arrested Development works so well because it's a synthesis of Irish and Jewish comedy.

Michael Bluth is the Jewish protagonist, a well-meaning schlemiel surrounded by his Irish relatives.

Tobias, GOB, and most of the side characters come out of the clowning tradition. They're totally absurd, and their episodes are funny because of the wacky things they do.

Kike

Ghostbusters 3

Well detected.

The Cosby Show.

Actually this is a good example of OP's point because the implication joke is all about Dennis

The Jewish version would be Jerry and George discussing whether or not it's okay to fuck girls you take out on your boat, without either character acting too ridiculous.

king of the hill?

irish as fuck

????

3-camera sitcoms are generally Irish regardless of the background of the writers. Seinfeld and Curb are unusual because they're so Jewish -- in style and in subject matter.

The jews are the "chosen people" the way the irish are "lucky." basically theyve managed to survive being dumped on by god constantly and developed this internal narrative that its for a greater reason than they've just had the shit end of the stick since time started.

I'll tell you this though Whiskey> manishevitz.

Wrong.

>and this i.4cdn.org/tv/1469552696009.jpg

newsday.com/entertainment/tv/futurama-finds-a-new-future-on-comedy-central-1.1402526

two sides of the same coin

bump?

Everything>maneshevitz
Big nosed kikeboy here, whiskey wins any day

which is it?

Irish

Highly Jewish (see: cowriters and friends of Dave) but delivered Nigger Style

I don't remember it's always sunny being so focused on the characters at first.
There are plenty of funny situations like hobbos masturbating of fucking each other

Idk, sunny is pretty damn relatable

Don't most shows have a relatable straight-man reacting to the absurdities of other characters?

Does that make them Irish or Jewish.

I like maneschewitz more than goy wine

Nicer flavor

What about the Office (American version)?

>British isles

Kys

Tina Fey is Irish

but lorne michaels is jewish...

It's both

Doesn't sound Irish to me

thread reminds me of this

youtube.com/watch?v=uD6Oi2kySSU

but the joke is still "haha hobos are funny"

not "haha it's funny that society puts us in a situation where people are homeless"

she's Greek and German what the fuck

I feel like I've been robbed

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tina_Fey#Early_life

This, isnt the whole thing of Seinfeld that Jerry is supposed to be the normal guy responding to all the absurd situations?

She is none of these things, she is american

Jerry is only normal relative to his friends. Relative to wider society in the show he's totally neurotic. That's why he always ends up in difficult situations and never gets a long-term girl.

This?