RIP

is this the end of anthony?

holy...

No

Thank god. Now fucking posers won't listen to it. It's bad enough that Pitchfork and RYM got on the hype train. I feel like Melonhead just likes being the contrarian.

Fucking kek, what an ass.

mu btfo

lmao what an uncultured pleb

NO THIS CAN'T BE.......... THIS IS THE ONLY ELECTRONIC ALBUM I'VE EVER LISTENED TO AND IT IS ATLEAST AN 8....

I don't get this music either

i'm probably a pleb I guess

How embarrassing.

got it right for once

young-thug-nigga-what.mp3

I can understand the album not being for everyone but this score seems so low he did it just to shock people. A 2 is usually reserved for offensively bad pop shit.
>least favorite track is 2
This is objectively wrong

At the very least

>RIP
RIP melonhead? yes

Yeah, for Gas

This is legit pathetic. It's 2deep4him
Is this even a new low? Maybe...

Gas will never recover

I usually respect his opinions even if I disagree with them but here it seems like he truly didn't understand the album. He didn't offer any analysis of why it was bad other than that the beats were too repetitive, which is a cornerstone of Gas's hypnotic quality.

I'm not an autist though so this doesn't bother me and I'll continue enjoying the AOTY.

and here was me thinking I had a shred of respect for him after the Damn. review

Melon has ADHD for sure, same reasoning he panned last Fuck Buttons

I really enjoyed the album. At least an 8 for me.

The beats aren't even repetitive though. Maybe if your volume's way too low, or you can't perceive multiple song elements at once. Shit is constantly changing. Gas probably uses a ton of automation. He just does it subtly and tastefully, like other electro big names.

He truly jumped the gun with this review, Jesus Christ.

go to bed anthony

>like other electro big names.
Gas isn't "electro" senpai. That's a totally different genre.

I'm waiting for it to get hammered on RYM by Fantano drones after getting consistent 3.5+ ratings.

I meant like ambient IDM type artists. Maybe Gas doesn't fall under that, idk. But either way I don't see how Fantano can't understand it since it's not something super unique to Gas.

This thing about losing respect for youtubers when they come out with opinions that you don't like is incredibly dumb.

Yeah its weird, it's very clear that Gas goes for a specific drone-y style with micro variation. He just didn't think at all

I'm impressed he managed to say anything about it, even good writers have a hard time deciphering why they like and dislike ambient music.

That being said I want to break down his reaction to this
>Listens to pop without having to give it a score or review it in depth
>Pop has a lot going on in it, with its use of Brahms samples throughout (correct me if thats wrong, I remember reading an interview with Voigt where he said it was just Brahms samples), field recordings, kick drums and synths
>You could even say it has way too much going on (I'm not a fan of Pop just because it tries to pull too many elements in and sounds like a confusing mess sometimes)
>As a reviewer this is great for Fantoman because he can easily take notes since there is so much going on, he can then convey what is going on to his audience without hassle
>Listens to Narkopop and is annoyed there isn't as much going on
>Can't really decipher why he dislikes it and is frustrated by his inability to convey what is going on musically
>70 minutes and he dislikes the album, probably not because he outright doesn't enjoy the music but because its so non-descript that he can't figure out why it isn't doing anything for him
>Anyone who has listened to anything by Voigt that isn't Pop knows that is expected, Konigsforst and Zauberberg aren't as cluttered and that's something that a lot of people who listen to ambient music regularly appreciate
In fact anyone who listens to ambient music on a semi-regular basis can tell that Narkopop is kind of typical for ambient music and that while its not groundbreaking, it's still pretty formidable.
Nothing in the album is incongruous, it progresses through different passages with a lot of ease and it isn't completely stilted like a lot of ambient releases end up being and Voigt's ever present muffled kick drum punctuates the music really well adding a nice sense rhythm to the album.

Also wanted to say that he probably only ended up reviewing Narkopop because he spent so much time listening to that and listening/re-listening to Pop.
I imagine that he just didn't want to waste the time he spent

It's the end of Gas.

Yeah, I agree. I do think its being somewhat hard to describe is a big factor on why someone who's really analytically-minded would pan it, that's just ambient music for the most part.

>analytically-minded
lol just lol

There's a few artists he genuinely just doesnt seem to understand.

>analytically-minded
I don't think it's that, I think it's that doesn't actually listen to or like any ambient music outside of Tim Hecker. Plus he's so caged by his own writing style that he sort of forces himself to talk about music in a very descriptive "adjective" way.

And I like Tim but again his music has a lot going on in it and most of the tracks aren't that long, so he's great for that kind of writing style