Musicfags get the FUCK in here

musicfags get the FUCK in here

Lets discuss what instruments we play, our progress, give out tips, general music stuff.

I'll start, I am really decent at any stringed instrument, trumpet, and piano. I want to get better at drums though

grade 50 noseflute player here

you made me google that

I'm a skilled meat flute player

You're not talented til you git gud at the skin flute OP.

Bass guitar, guitar, piano, ukulele. Music is pretty cool. That's all I have to say on the matter.

14 years playing drums here. Currently in the midst of doing a bachelors in music with drums as my main instrument, piano as a second.

Honestly I think there are a lot of approach to get better as a musician. But I would definitely recommend learning to read; Because if you can read music, you can get so much better by learning fast and efficiently methods that are taught in books and etc

I started on cello then found out that I was better at trumpet, but I'm decent at basically any brass instruments

Beginner guitar player here only been playing for about a year and a half. Any advice for getting better at timing, singing and playing at the same time, what I should be learning/practicing, is learning to read sheet music worth it? Pretty much I'm trying to be a mainly acoustic based songwriter, but also want to be skilled at playing in general, any advice would be appreciated.

For the drums, I would recommend using a pillow to practice. It will be very difficult because it doesn't bounce. Then, you can move back to drums, and playing should come much easier.

played drums when I was younger

bought a midi keyboard to teach myself a while back.
Can't make my left hand do things. I've hit a wall

I play double bass. Its pretty great. Any other bassists here? Questions?

And yes, if you can't already read sheet music then that should be where you start

I can't read sheet music, I kinda know the theory of how to. I just can't make my mind do it.

I've always played by ear

guitar fag here, been playing for a decade. played trumpet when I was younger but can't really any more because my jaw is fucked up. Recently got a hurdy gurdy which is dope.

I just got a Trumpet and still not completely understanding how to get a good controlled buzz. Any tips?

OP here, I've been playing acoustic guitar (what I assume you were talking about) and I was having issues with timing as well when I started. You just need to get used to the rhythm , most of the time the lyrics line up directly with the beat. Which of course would require a bit of time to get used to, but trust me once you have it you'll be wondering why you couldn't have had it before. What I did for learning my guitar was jut messing around with chords and all that

Do you know what size mouthpiece you've got?

Familiarize yourself with Elliott Smith.

You have to learn sheet music.

I play electric bass. Been enjoying mahavishnu orchestra alot.

Real helpful buddy

Tighten up timing by going out and getting a metronome to practise with. As for singing while playing, I've found it's honestly just practise. Start with songs that don't require difficult rhythms for strumming the chords, and get comfortable with that. Then step it up a bit and push yourself to allow one of them to be more automatic while you focus on the other (I switch, sometimes focus on a guitar rhythm while letting singing go more autopilot, and vice versa). Sheet music can definitely pay off but it's not really a necessity. Just learn how to read a basic chord chart, know your root notes on 6th and 5th strings, and chord names, and that will take you a long way. Just keep challenging yourself to reach the next plateau. Keep playing and practising. Look up new chords now and then. I suggest Minor seven chords if you don't already know them, they changed my playing a lot. Jazz chords in general are pretty crazy and fun to work into mainstream songwriting.

>I am really decent at any stringed instrument
No you're not.

Any violinist here? Legato tips

TUBA BITCHES

I spent time at a fairly prestigious school for vocal performance and then transferred to a slightly larger yet lesser known school to pursue music composition, but left after I realized music school is a great waste of money. I have always been a vocalist, but I have been playing guitar and bass for about 13 years. I also play drums, I use keyboards for various sounds, ambient effects, and music composition although I wouldn't consider myself a keys player. Despite my vast experience with gigging and playing in bands, I consider myself more of a composer and have temporarily left that behind to do music production and build a studio where I can record other musicians, as well as my own music.

If anyone has any questions I'd love to answer.

>ib4 which schools?
>only question I won't answer

Tenor sax, and i fuck around in music programs on pc

guitar player here, malmsteen is god

I solely play recorder and kazoo.
I'm actually not that bad.

Currently self-teaching myself trumpet, but did a few of years of formal brass training back in the day (really helps). I'm getting pretty good at basic sightreading (quarter, eighth, some 16th notes), I have a good feel for the scale & arpeggio for a handful of keys and their minor equivalents, and my tone & intonation is really starting to come together.

My goal is to be able to be able to improv and compose well so that I can jam with my friends (keyboard, guitar, that sort of thing). All I've ever really played is pre-written music. Any tips for getting going in this direction?

Ha did you got that from Dennis Chambers?

all he does is wank in phrygian dominant, half-whole and harmonic minor scales

dude didn't innovate anything, granted he has technique

I do this thing.

This. Metronome

Sounds cool. Definitely some musicianship going on there

No prob dude

>our progress
I've played various instruments. I dedicated my early life playing music, and eventually, composing music.
As I thought more about myself, and my life, what I wanted to do; as I expanded my knowledge and understanding, I came to a conclusion.

That conclusion was that music was self indulgent bullshit.
Music was better than doing drugs, having sex, etcetera, but nevertheless, it was still self indulgent bullshit.

I wasted my time, I wasted my life. I wasted my energy, I wasted my effort. I wasted my drive, I wasted my motivation.

Now, I can't take it back.

I started playing the guitar 34 years ago. If you want to get better, focus on the rudimentary things first. Rhythm is something you feel more than hear. Get a metronome app on your phone or whatever and play one chord over the rhythm over and over. Start with just downstrokes over a 4/4 beat. 1-2-3-4. Once you get that feel, double it up with down/upstrokes ie; 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and. Then got to down/up/down triplets 1 and a two and a three and a four and a. Practice this until it's second nature. Then start doing the same thing switching to a new chord every four whole beats. Also, when listening to songs that you like, try tapping your foot or hand to the beat of the song. This will train your brain to lock into rhythm automatically.

Idiots who "play" acoustic guitar and strum chords only don't understand that you need to always practice with metronome.

Learning to play with pick and playing something more technical is going to greatly benefit your singer/songwriter skills as well. So, don't always strum those three chords, C/F/G, but learn something technical and learn how to play with pick. Always use metronome. About once a week record your playing and analyze it.

4 Years teaching myself to play the violin. My best advice is to just watch and learn, and take everything slow.

you at phantom?

I do this thing.

Another top 12 corps. Huge fan of Phantom though.

Bass/Piano/Guitar player in that order. How's it going goyims?

Middle aged jazz guitar fag here. Working on a new album but my alcoholism is slowing down the process and wondering if I'll have a liver left when it's finished.

Pop players play a few notes to thousands of people.
Jazz players play thousands of notes to a few people.

With that said, I hope you keep going, and sort that shit out.

lol. I gotta remember that one and thanks. In the battle of my life with the bottle right now.

Bass guitar is a pretend instrument

how hard would it be for a 26 year old to learn Trumper? I played piano for a couple of years in high school but always loved the trumpet and the saxofone and never had the chance.so,would it be really hard?would it take me 4 5 years to be ok?

hype, what corps? I'm a Crossmen trumpet nerd

haha,trumpet.sorry for my dumb autocorrect

Bassist. 3 years. Self taught. Have developed good music ears and can transcribe most songs by ear now. Only practice 3 hours a week now but i used to more. Favorite bassist: Carlos D from Interpol.

Acustic guitar is a pretend instrument, mise well learn the bass, play a reap guitar please, acustic cords are for hippy s and girls who want to pretend like they have a skill

That makes no sense. So much of technique is based on controlling bounce. If you just wack a pillow for months, you'll have no idea how to react when the drums/ and cymbals push back at you.

guitar does limit you at a given level, you basically run out of instrument, but then you consider the next possibility is either a piano or a harp, and that just wins the cake.

how hard would it be to learn trumpet at 26?I m in love with jazz

I'm a rook out at Scouts.

Jazz guitar fag who wishes he played a horn says go for it.

I was referring to a 7 string shecter but piano is cool to, I just mean there's not a lot of skill that can go into a acustoc, learn on a guitar that doesn't limit you and become the best you can at it and then if you want to play acustic, cool you be good at it but you will also be good at every aspect of guitar, piano is week, way to easy

I started playing guitar like a year ago but i only know how to read tabs and some chords, i'm fairly good at it but i really want to be able to just jam with other people, how do i stop sucking ass?

maybe he just needs to play on top of a reconrding dunno. i have a hard time understanding your psych background when people have "timing issues". could be just being nervous. specially as a lead guitar the whole song is basically waiting for your input.

Piano is a instrument that you can run out of instrument, truly master the guitar and you will learn your limit goes as far as the connection you have to the instrument, learn the harp and you will truly learn how gay your are, but I do mean the electric and not a faggot bass you need at least 24 frets to become a music god, you near to feal the easiest of playing every note within milliseconds like slicing buter and how easy your picking can manipulate itself through each string and how Southington a amazing riff can feel but most of all knowing you are a god of an instrument that can perform at a level that your peers can only dream of

Take some lessons and practice a lot. Even just a few lessons with a pro could help you to vastly improve your technique and approach if you apply yourself. 99 percent perspiration one percent inspiration is the key. A lot of people get that the wrong way round and continue to suck.

you don't know wtf you're talking about.

dunno if i agree with the practice a lot, since you basically have to build a muscular network first, my take after careful consideration is to go for coverage and avoid repetitive stress. basically some runs to set your routine and go with that. Some professionals treat their limbs as pez dispensers, only practicing runs when they need it "warm up and avoid the extra strain altogether.

so in short, practice right, rest the appendage well and only approach it when wear and tear is out of the equation.

I had severe back pain from practicing too much before so I know what you mean. Practice doesn't make perfect perfect practice makes perfect.

Jesus, dude- a little punctuation here and there will get your message across in a very efficient manner.
>and how Southington a amazing riff
wut?
Proofread what you post- we ARE interested in your input, but you HAVE to punctuate your sentences or your intended idea gets lost on the reader. Perhaps English isn't your first language. That's ok- you're trying. However, if English IS your first language, you need to slow down, Sup Forumsro.

typical steve vai fan

Guitarist, bassist, drummer

Have pretty good proficiency in all of em, though I'm not too well versed in theory or reading music past tablature, though I can sightread it pretty well

dude awesome, so you mean you aged out in 16 or are going to age out this season in 17?

As in this coming season. Are you still marching?

Yeah dude, i'm only 19 so i have till 2019, hey it would be pretty neat if we some how met on the field, memorize this "Box4Chan" and i'm sure we can find each other either in a lot or on the field, its always magical to have some kind of connection in other corps, you are a bass drum right?

oh hey also Trafalgar is nice and i stayed in cabin 3 and it was lit, don't forget to wash your feet as much as you can also and remember the phrase "Box4Chan"

started on piano long time ago. would love to be better. I play bass, guitar, and mandolin now and I pick up stringed instruments really quickly.

All right man, I'll keep that in mind. I am a bass.

It's really incredible how extensive the marching community is. It'd be great to meet you on tour sometime.

Any tips? only been playing for a few months, i cant hit low b sharp that well, it keeps doing awful sqeaking noises

Absolutely, there is always the normal rivalry between corps but the reality is we are all doing the same thing and we are all just band kids doing what we love you know? so more connections between corps makes DCI so much more enjoyable, and totally, I look forward to meeting "Box4chan" this season, also i'm serious about washing your feet. Trafalgar is relentless you will soon find out.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still a little curious at how you'll pull the box4chan thing off, but I'll leave that to you. Have a great time at move ins.

totally, and thank you too, and good luck for when you hit your first wall, when (not if) it happens just talk to people about it, that's when you get to be super close to the rest of the scouts,
see ya on the filed Sup Forumsro

Bones,
Scouts Honor

Symphonic Horn player, can play all treble clef brass and some trombone. Piano and Guitar is what I'm currently learning.

Been doing horn for 14 years

Keep practicing, trying opening up your throat more for the lower notes and blow hot air.

>opening up your throat
>blow hot air

He's not asking for cocksucking tips, faggot.

Start playing while standing, hold the instrument correctly, put the horn perpendicular to your face, and practice or at least buzz on your mouthpiece 10 minutes a day every day.

>B#
There's your problem buddy.

Im a six string bass player. Been playin 22 years. Just started upright. Slapping is hard yet on upright. Got the intervals down. But the technique is lacking. Any tips?

what do you mean by hot air?

You obviously don't know anything about drums

Its not really the hot air which is important, its just a way to help open the mouth and throat. Just imagine trying to fog a mirror or window with your breath.

Bass
Starter
Can't slap or a rats ass and barely getting used to the pick after realizing, no, picks are not for faggots

Plz tell me how to get better on a standard 6 string
speed,technique, anything, strength exercises, anything

Can you learn singing (at least decent, dont wonna be a star)

Also, what are some good metrics to mesure your progress on a music instrument?

t. bass guitard

Best tip you'll ever get from me:
NEVER share your fucking secrets, techniques and knowledge on the matter, let newbies go through hell and fail miserably or rise like a fucking phoenix, people are a bunch of copycats that will later profit out of your knowledge that took you so long to develop

That can go for any subject, but in music, everyone is copying everyone, never share your tunes and secret stuff, don't give free lessons, don't link them to good books and media, let them be shit

holy shit james hetfield, why grace us with your mediocre-tier presence.

sounds like something a pop diva would say kiddo.

word

why is it a waste of money?