What the FUCK Sup Forums I'm so pissed right now

What the FUCK Sup Forums I'm so pissed right now.

How is that artists with close to no merit whatsoever can become popular while artists with much more going for them sit in the shade of obscurity?

Other urls found in this thread:

samweinberg3.bandcamp.com/
clyp.it/sk2ylsye
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

P.S.
I'm pissed for a pretty selfish reason.
This girl who goes to my college (i think she's genderqueer, but I'll just call her a girl to avoid confusion) is opening for a real band with 20k likes on their FaceBook page, and her songs are absolute shite.

Her latest album has 8 songs, most of which are around 1.5 minutes long, and none of which have any song structure or interesting lyrics. She just rambles in a basic indie voice while playing simple guitar arpeggios. She sings on pitch, but that's about all that she has going for her. And she has 250 likes on her FaceBook page (that's not a lot, but it's kinda decent for a college kid).

Meanwhile I spend hours refining my craft, writing about 40 songs in a single semester, studying pop songs from the last century, and painstakingly recording an album of my own. And what do I have to show for it? Nada.

sorry if that sounded bitter as fuck, but i just needed to let that out.

B U MP

did you release your songs?

I think you'd fit in a little better on the youtube comments section

>And what do I have to show for it? Nada.
Do you not have an album to show for it?

Please off yourself thanks

>hating 1.5 minute songs
>writing about 40 songs in a single semester
>studying pop songs from the last century
Fuck off Impossible Nothing, we know it's you.

yeah i released my songs on bandcamp

oh yeah i guess that's true

sure

nope

popularity is dictated by marketability, not talent. why do you think most pop is shit?

that's why you should make music to make music and not care about how many people like it

>yeah i released my songs on bandcamp
link em op. we can decide if you deserve more attention than her

What genre do you make?

Also link her songs for comparison

I didn't wanna turn this thread into self-promotion, but there's the album: samweinberg3.bandcamp.com/

my post makes it seem like i think my album is the greatest thing ever, but i know i still have a lot of work ahead of me. I just enjoy what I made, and I want other people to enjoy it too.

here's one of her songs: clyp.it/sk2ylsye
i downloaded it and upload it to clyp instead of linking her bandcamp
it's not AWFUL, but i just think it's incredibly mediocre and it doesn't have any substance.

it's not bad user. i gotta respect your enthusiasm. sounds like you took a lot of inspiration from the mountain goats

i did..

how are you going to reply to a post that you so obviously didn't read?

Work on your singing voice. It's all most people care about, and hers is better than yours. Your songs aren't bad, and neither was hers. You're both generic. Crazy people make the best music, and you're both normiefags from the sound of it.

Survivorship bias

now suck my peepee

No, i don't think that applies here. I was just bored listening to those songs. Are you OP? If so, you can go suck some mountain goat dingus, hipster faggot

ok that's actually a good point

explain how Bob Dylan became one of the most popular and critically aclaimed artists of all time then. And explain Leonard Cohen. And Tom Waits. And Connor Oberst. And Jeff Mangum. And Lou Reed.

sorry, i thought user's comment was you insulting me for not liking your music. erm.
well now that i'm outed as a huge faggotoid and summerpleb, i'll share my theory of music.
next comment will be long hold on

Thank you so much, I love your voice and lyricism. Get your name out there, I think you could do it.

Today's society is retarded. But unless you're retarded, i wouldn't need to tell you that.

They like trap and rap because those genres contain minor chords and scales, just like horror movies, that the brain is wired to think is "scary" or "tense". They like it because it gives them a sense of respect and makes them feel badass so those mf niggas fear me n shit dawg knowatimsayin bitch?

The other half of the population are gravitated to pop because the lyrics and composition is as simple as it gets. Despite the lyrics and the melodies being the same almost every fucking time, their low IQ doesn't see it fit to try anything knew.

Basically, grow a niche audience. Either here on Sup Forums soundcloud threads, reddit, whatever. Grow from there and don't expect to get famous unless your making bitch nigga drugs rap or Megan Trainor/Katy Perry pop shit.

Yeah she's definitely trash. I don't like your sound, but I can tell that you put a lot of effort into it, so props.

Bob Dylan had average singing voice, and never did anything too fancy on guitars. What he had was timing, and stylistic sense.
His first musical debut was in 1962. He rode the tide of the hippy movement, and he had the instinct to write the words people wanted to hear. He could write a decent song, but he was never inventive or 'out there'. Zeppelin was pure talent, but Dylan typecasted the drifter-songwriter of America, and he verbalized what people of the time were feeling. If you can do that, your music can be simple and it will still be popular.
Tangled Up In Blue by Dylan, for example. It's a combination of words that don't make sense, but it's provocative. It doesn't have to make sense, because it's just the refrain. People will assign their own meaning. Combine it with pleasant, quaint guitar chords and a salt-of-the-earth story about two young American kids, and you have a song that holds the interest, provokes feeling, fits the artist and fits the mindset of the time. Instant hit, because most artists hit only one or two of those things, and Dylan hit all of them.
I have more thoughts on this should I keep going?

He also had consistency. There are a lot of bands that produce one or two great albums, but never get famous because that's all they did. If you keep producing music, you'll get there. It doesn't matter if you think it's good or not, someone will like it, and if you keep making it with consistency you'll get a fanbase.
Michael Jordon on success and failure: I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty six times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
And with that, i'll shut the fuck up and leave. Good luck. Take advice from crazy fucks, it's the best advice

Thanks man. I appreciate that more than you can imagine.
Promoting myself is hard though. Hopefully the key will be that people who enjoy my music will share it with other people so I'm not the only one shilling it.

You make some good points. Keep going please! Also do you have any sources that talk about this? I love reading about this kinda stuff.

Tangled Up In Blue is one of my favorite songs of all time. Dylan truly was the master of writing vague yet specific lyrics.

thank you. quite inspiring words

please do tell the underutilized niches you have in mind! especially if you think i can implement myself in them given my own musical skill-set.
this is actually quite interesting.

hey guy.. it's a shame that your stuff was deleted. I made a new thread for you to keep posting.
i'd love to hear those underutilized niches

here it is:

hey you're that guy who's only mainstream attention is some autistic underage Sup Forumstuber reviewed your debut once. keep up the work, you make decent music.

i gotta know those underutilized niches... guy, if you're banned or something, just contact me through bandcamp

yep that's me. lol I can't believe you remember that

Not him, but have you tried tapping into '70s prog revival?

>Genderqueer
>Being outside and in front of people

Pick one.

Her's definitely a lot more poppy (in a simplistic manner).
But yours definitely have a lot more substance (and style i might add)
Now that I think about it, I'm almost as confused as why you weren't able to performed as you would've turned more heads than she did

*to perform
my b

This is nothing exclusive to music. People that don't deserve success get ahead all the time. Massive businesses run/founded by assholes who don't deserve the level of success they get are not uncommon at all (see: Uber, Apple, Microsoft)

What matters more is you get lucky. I could release a musically subpar, but good-sounding album tomorrow and become successful practically overnight with the right amount of luck.

If you're an artist who is disappointed about your success, just keep making shit. If you just give up, your chance of getting lucky plummets to zero. There are ways to influence this luck (like old fashioned marketing and growing a brand) but for the most part just continuing to make stuff might eventually get you somewhere.

that's an interesting niche, but it's not the kinda music I make. I'm more into writing basic chord progressions rather than prog