Physical Media

I don't think DVDs and Blu Rays will ever actually be replaced by streaming services.

The ability to control the media, the quality of the media and the assurance that it will never be taken down from a server are enough to keep the formats going into the future.

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html?_r=0
youtube.com/watch?v=xQfH1z4QcvY
youtube.com/watch?v=F5_1y9CYxGQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qEe0kzyFOyU
youtube.com/watch?v=tZZv5Z2Iz_s
youtube.com/watch?v=6qwFBiX-OtA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Physical media stays, format might change. Current Blue Ray will be replaced with uhd blue ray.

>Blurry Disc

>The ability to control the media, the quality of the media and the assurance that it will never be taken down from a server are enough to keep the formats going into the future.
You don't need physical media for any of that though.

I'd like to see streaming services offer some of the bonuses that are included in DVDs, specifically audio commentary.

Where do you think those blu ray rips you illegally download come from?

It's still just data. You pay for all that plastic but it's not what you want. You think you're buying piece of mind, but at the end of the day if that bluray gets destroyed, unless you've actually ripped it, then you don't have that movie anymore.

>You pay for all that plastic but it's not what you want.

The is what contains the data. It's like saying you're not paying for the record, you're paying for the music.

>but at the end of the day if that bluray gets destroyed, unless you've actually ripped it, then you don't have that movie anymore.

Yeah, and if your computer, phone, or television gets destroyed then you wouldn't have that data anymore. Unless it's saved in the cloud, but even that's not a guarantee.

>The is what contains the data
The plastic is what contains the data*

>Unless it's saved in the cloud, but even that's not a guarantee.
It kinda is though. If you purchase a digital copy of something than you're making a guarantee with that company that you'll always be able to access a copy of it.

No. It could be taken down for numerous reasons.

Then they would have to warn you of that, or make sure certain provisos and limitations on use were clearly stated beforehand so I could make a better informed decision. If they fail to do that then I'm certain I and many others would raise a stink about it and gain some sort of compensation, whereas with a broken disc you would just generally be assed out.

As soon as a company determines that the interest in a film on their servers is low enough they will do a cost benefit analysis and then remove it to free up space for a more lucrative property.

If you don't think that's how companies work, you do not understand capitalism.

Netflix does not notify anyone as to which movies it removes from its service.

If they get rid of physical media, what makes you think they won't get rid of downloads and replace it with a streaming service that is completely controlled by the company.

Sometimes they do it like they did with VHS way back in the day, and all the special features run after the credits.

I've bought a few things from microsoft video and some are like that. I feel you on adding the commentaries on another audiotrack though.

>You pay for all that plastic
No you dont. Manufacturing and distributing dvds are cheap as fuck. Most of your money is really paying for a limited license to view the media.

Comparing netflix and buying blu rays is a false equivalency, though. I know how netflix works and I don't treat it any differently than I would another cable channel. If you want to talk about purchasing movies and shows for personal use then a better analogue would be stuff like Itunes or onDemand services, which is what I was talking about.

but it already did.

They publish lists of what is being added/removed and if you watch something that is coming off there is a little bug when you start the movie or show that says "this program will be available to stream until..."

>Then they would have to warn you of that
Have you ever read the EULA posted before you confirm your purchase?

No one does, or else you'd know that blurays have them too. The thing about digital purchases is that one of their main selling points is the "always available" option, and that's more than enough wiggle room to finagle a refund if they fail to deliver.

>If you purchase a digital copy of something than you're making a guarantee with that company that you'll always be able to access a copy of it.

Wrong. I remember a few years back Amazon lost the rights to 1984 so went and deleted it from everybody's kindle and just refunded them. Could you imagine a company losing a license to a movie so breaking into you house at night to take back the bluray and leaving 10 bucks on your night stand?

nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html?_r=0

>if that bluray gets destroyed
kek
It's highly more unlikely than your DRM'd subscription shutting down.
Enjoy paying shittons of money for literally nothing (as you said, it's just data, data is free)

Maybe someday in the distant future. Too many DVD/BD enthusiasts these days that would flip their shit.

physical media is a niche market that is here to stay

I suppose that is one caveat to physical ownership, but who's to say they couldn't put out an update rendering those discs unplayable on new blu ray players. Most of our tech works on that principle anyway, as it is.

People like to posture that they're making statements with their purchases (which is what everyone in this thread is doing) but at the end of the day we're all just cattle being herded into the next chute to be thrown into the abattoir of incremental upgrades. See you in 5 years when you're doing an unboxing on the 4K Mega Wizard Edition of LOTR.

>who's to say they couldn't put out an update rendering those discs unplayable on new blu ray players.

They can't. It's almost impossible to bar specific bly rays or DVDs. Additonally the company that would have to do that would be the one losing the copyright so I completely doubt that they would spend money to enforce the rights loss.

btw, LoTR sucks and I don't even own a DVD of any of the movies and never will.

>connected player
kek, you're gonna be a faggot to the very end are you? How's that windows 10 going? Do you enjoy it?

As someone who owns over 200 blurays, 4K content has shown that physical media is obsolete.

It's been pretty easy to stream 4K content for over a year now, yet the cheapest 4K bluray player only came out a couple of months ago and is still $400. They are also charging more for 4K blurays, than they were 3D ones.

That being said, I've never paid for a digital copy of a movie and I probably never will. I'll pirate shit before I spend $30 on a license to watch that same exact thing.

You underestimate communications tech.

Soon Blu-ray quality will be streamable casually.

The only reason they keep upping resolution is to keep moving the goalpost on what is enough, regular folks can't even tell, buy the TV says 4K, so it just be better.

It wont go away soon because it benefits the seller, but it's gone.

That's because they want you to pay MONTHLY FEES smartass.
Got get that stream/VOD subscription, boy.

No one even wants 4k content. It is visually indistinguishable from 1080 at normal viewing distance.

Additionally, streaming is shit. Buffering, pixel binning, variable resolution based on bandwith, limited library. All of these are reasons to not give a fuck about streaming.

There really aren't any good streaming services for movies. Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu don't have great movie catalogs to begin with, and almost none of it is in 4K. They're fine for television, but that's about it.

>regular folks can't even tell, buy the TV says 4K, so it just be better.
Believe it or not, consumers aren't actually that dumb.

There are exceptions but the vast majority of consumers will not buy something just because it is "supposed" to be better.

I

people like having something to put on their shelf desu

plus it's something to buy someone for christmas

cute collection, I have the Robotech Remastered box sets though, no big deal.

>alphabetical order

nice

>having a collection small enough to not need a separate classification scheme like the Library of Congress Classification Scheme or Dewey Decimal system

those were the days

Well what do you watch movies on then? Do you buy film reels from theaters?

>Watching Robotech when Macross is better.

RCA Video Discs

youtube.com/watch?v=xQfH1z4QcvY

physical media is dead the instant the "always owned a smartphone generation" has kids.

Bullshit meme opinion, most of the censored content is restored in Robotech Remastered and it has way better audio cues. You tell me which intro is better...

Macross
youtube.com/watch?v=F5_1y9CYxGQ

Robotech
youtube.com/watch?v=qEe0kzyFOyU

I grew up watching Robotech, so there is definitely a nostalgic element at play.

this, sadly

No way I've seen these in a store I go to and the plastic cases make sense now (I had Robin Hood on laserdisc when I was little and there was no fancy plastic case for that; I still remember exactly when the disc had to be flipped over).

It's not a laser disc, it's a video disc, it doesn't use lasers it uses grooves & a needle like a record to produce video

Not everyone is a smartphone faggot. Some people still properly educate their spawns.

Nigga pls
Kids now days are born with a smartphone or tablet in hand.

God that Robotech theme always gives me chills

>Soon Blu-ray quality will be streamable casually.
There's a difference between "theoretically possible if you're rich and live in Tokyo" and "something most people can do".

It will be literally decades before the average internet connection is good enough that blu rays won't have a use. The last VHS manufacturer only stopped in the last few weeks.

>The last VHS manufacturer only stopped in the last few weeks

Welp, prepare to see 500-600 dollar VCR's on eBay.

Eh, I always found the Robotech theme to bland and generic sounding compared to Macross's OST. Then again, I have a thing for that early 80s/not quite out of the 70s genre of music in that era of anime. I miss the days when anime theme songs weren't afraid to actually mention the show's title on their theme song.

feh, I'll bet you prefer the music in Go-Lion to Voltron too. Not me though

youtube.com/watch?v=tZZv5Z2Iz_s

youtube.com/watch?v=6qwFBiX-OtA

>buy bluray
>ugly ass case covered in logos and ratings and critics opinions and legal information
>company logos for about a minute
>1 or 2 movie trailers
>ugly ass menu that feels cheap and tacky
>movie starts
>progress bar looks like shit

>pirate movie
>movie starts

I wish Blu-rays would just get rid of all that shit. Put the disk in, movie starts. It's not that bad, and it's certainly not as bad as when DVDs first came out. It's so needless and cheapens the whole experience.

Go-Lion was always kinda mediocre anyway. Niggas couldn't even color co-ordinate their suits with their mecha. Why is the red guy piloting the black lion? At least Voltron is unintentionally hilarious for how far they tried to tone down all the violence and death from the Japanese version.

>I wish Blu-rays would just get rid of all that shit. Put the disk in, movie starts. It's not that bad, and it's certainly not as bad as when DVDs first came out. It's so needless and cheapens the whole experience.
All my Warner Blu-rays start directly when you insert discs into the player. No forced trailers or anything. Wish all companies did this.

No, they announced that they will end production of VHS recorders by end of this month. So we can assume that VHS is still in production, at least until Friday.

Given how common those are... it will take more than a while before prices will start to rise.

>>ugly ass case covered in logos and ratings and critics opinions and legal information
>ugly ass menu that feels cheap and tacky
That's up to whoever made it, and they invented steelbooks specifically for autists like you
>company logos for about a minute
>1 or 2 movie trailers
Same as every other home media then

>I don't think DVDs and Blu Rays will ever actually be replaced by streaming services.
While not replaced by streaming services, I don't think the physical medium of buying disks will last. I think instead it'll just be easier to download and keep a copy of the file on your own hard drive at some point

>mfw running out of space for more films
blu-ray collection thread?

i have 30 blurays and 14TB

Saw this in stores. Is this worth buying or am I better off tracking the older Lifetime box set. I heard these new sets are missing episodes.

would you prefer single dics for each movie from your favorite director or just one disc filled with it's entire filmography?

They can't even fit the extended editions of Lord of the rings on one disc, never mind 2 movies

if its a favorite director or film i not only likely have multiple copies im also have a physical copy because the few kinos you like are worth buying

he means a disk drive

Go with the Time box set, you can also buy that version as individual volumes as I did to only get the good early episodes and skip the later more child-friendly episodes with Uncle Joey voicing Venkmann. Vol 1-3 covers it.