I've been teaching private guitar lessons for a few years now and kids don't practice like ever...

I've been teaching private guitar lessons for a few years now and kids don't practice like ever. They're just burning a hole in their rich parents' wallet.

Am I just a shitty teacher? Or are kids just lazy?

I'm a self taught musician.

Do they seem to be into it when you're teaching them?

Kids are lazy.

lmao keep doing what your doing

We have lots of fun and they always leave smily and excited, but when I'm not there they just don't give a shit

>We have lots of fun and they always leave smily and excited

Fucking shota/loli I swear

I've taught some extremely cute 16-18 year old girls

I shed a tear knowing I can never tap dat

Hi, i took private bass lessons in high school and I never practiced outside of lessons until i joined a band. Its fun to play for a allot of kids but its difficult to motivate yourself when your that young because the reason for them learning often isn't out of a true appreciation for music. It isn't your fault i can tell you that

maybe i should form a band with these kids and it'll give them some motivation

You need to stress to the parents if they want the most out of their money, they need to help ensure their child is practicing. Just like students in school, the teacher can only do so much. Parents have to help further education at home through teach responsibility and understanding for the subjects you're studying. Otherwise you end up with a kid who can't think critically and never does anything beyond what's interesting in the moment. Practice is essential, and if you're only meeting with them once a week, that isn't nearly enough practice. They need stuff to take home with them and practice.

Also, explain to these kids that all of the most famous artists didn't just start out being bad ass musicians, they had to struggle and go through a lot of boring and seemingly menial rudimentary tasks to build a foundation.

they know that. they just don't give a fuck. they're fucking rich and have a shit ton of shit going on like going to europe or ski trips or summer camp or tennis practice.

the reason why most rock musicians get good is they're all broke ass losers like me who had nothing better to do and wanted to impress vaginas

They also didn't have the internet.

well, i usually practiced in front of the tv but it wasn't interactive

go all Whiplash on them and yell and throw things at them

sometimes i wonder if that would work on kids

but then i don't want to go to jail

your fine. i took drum lessons for 2 years when i was 16-18 and i cant do shit still. i never practiced like ever

well that's a relief on my brow

you should get back into it now that you seem more appreciative

>I'm a self taught musician.
same paying for classes and my social insecurity will blow in my face.

i can see this turning into school of rock

except those kids already knew how to play music

their parents probably forced them to get lessons and they don't actually want to play

or you are making them play music they hate

yeah once i started taking music more seriously i switched to piano lessons and i still do that. i still drum though. always trying to improve a little

>You need to stress to the parents
They won't give a shit either

Nothing wrong mate. You are feeding their parents' delusions in exchange for shekels. The kids are the casualty here but who gives a shit

I'm 23, been playing for 2 years only self-taught (justinguitar) and I remember loathing music playing as a kid. Now with hindsight I really wish someone at least tried to teach me, because with the little I've progressed I can only imagine where I'd be if I had some contact with an instrument as a child.

You may not create prodigies OP, but you may plant the seed in them.

Do you give them stuff to practice?

Do you shit on them for not practicing?

Are we talking classical guitar or what?

I was that rich kid but with the violin from third grade all the way through now (graduating high school). I think what worked for me was two things:

I never really cared about what I could do with it until recently when I joined a baroque orchestra my friend started and I actually had to care about sounding decent because I became a much bigger part of the musical group. If I sound like shit, the whole concert sounds like shit. I didn't care about the school orchestra because everyone knew we were bad and never came to concerts. But everyone in this new group was actually talented. So there was that pressure.

Second, I started paying attention to my teacher more and trying to get more out of him. One really critical thing is TEACHING PEOPLE HOW TO PRACTICE.

And drill it into their heads. I don't know shit about guitar, but when I practice a tough passage, I now have a process I go through to learn it. Give them a process that makes practicing on their own fun (or at least tolerable). That will help.

I really appreciate these thoughts/ideas

i have to change the context to get different results with them