In once sentence explain why you are an atheist or theist?

In once sentence explain why you are an atheist or theist?

I'm a theist because because god makes sense and something coming from nothing does not make sense.

I'm an atheist for the same reason I don't believe in santa clause or the easter bunny, they don't exist.

Im an atheist because your argument did not make sense.. Where did god come from?

Except santa clause is not the same thing as god...

Arthur C. Clarke once said that any technology sufficiently advanced, is indistinguishable from magic.

To me, the origin of the universe is sufficiently advanced / complex / awesome, as to be indistinguishable from magic and/or unknowable by the likes of us.

I guess that makes me a theist, although I do not claim to know the nature of whatever that unknowable awesomeness might be.

god is absolute, we and everything in the universe is relative. He has no beginning or end

I am Agnostic because I have been shown now solid evidence to even suggest that a god be real.

- there is your evidence.
- what, exactly, do you mean by that? And whatever it is you mean, where the hell do you suppose such a notion came from, and what makes you think you would understand anything at all about a power capable of something as incredible as inventing a universe?

^

If you had solid evidence what would you do? You would be good instead of honest. This is why we have faith god exists we don't know it.

Did your mom tell you that?

Muslims accept that they don't know god they only know his traits like being good and merciful, god knows what we don't know. So only idiots would claim to understand god, any reasonable theist will accept the unknown whiling having faith in god

If you showed be definitive evidence of a gods existence, then it wouldn't be a belief. Id know for a fact that a god is real.

>god is absolute
Says who? I mean, he/she/it might be, but you wouldn't have any idea one way or the other. Making these grandiose authoritative claims doesn't really convince anyone of anything, not does it make you sound any smarter. So why blather on like that?

Exactly, no person should ever claim they know god exists but only have faith that he does and there is some kind of accountability for good and bad people

If you want me to be blunt...

People invented the idea of a god because they were scared that the universe didn't give a shit about them. Once they convinced themselves that their idea of god was real, it made them feel special, and less scared.

I'm atheist because no theist has ever proven god, and theists say other faith-based religions are wrong and less credible than their own.

Also theists squirm in their seat when I ask
>If God created everything, who/what created God?

Also I like the sense of responsibility for my actions that comes with not having a big man in the sky accept my fuckups because he made his son into a martyr. And it makes me appreciate my time with my loved ones because I believe that when they die, I'll never see them again. I grew up christian and as I got older, realized how culty religion is, and didn't like it.

I don't care about other people's religion in the sense that it doesn't stop me from liking them, unless they try to push it on me.

Says me, if god were relative we would be able to detect him. I am not trying to sound smart but I am interested in people's opinions

So, muslims claim god is good and merciful - I suppose they have that in common with the other Abrahamic religions.

But that is just one (or three? or 12?) interpretation of some human ideal of what a god should be.

This on a planet where every single creature either kills, or is killed. Where we observe natural laws like "survival of the fittest" and "the powerful devouring the weak".

Seriously, I don't think you know as much as you think you know about what this "god" thing is or might be.

Just because you had a bad experience in religion doesn't in any way diminish god. If you ask me who created god that would be a really retarded question because as I have said he is absolute. I would like to say though I am glad you accept responsibility, most atheists I know are lazy losers who fly through life without caring about anything or anyone but themselves.

>People invented the idea of a god because they were scared that the universe didn't give a shit about them.
Many different people have invented the idea of many different gods, probably for many different reasons - certainly including the one you gave.
That doesn't preclude the possibility that some part of one or more of their ideas might have been right.

... Whether or not he/she/it doesn't give a shit about us, there could still be something "godlike" out there. Even if "something godlike" just means a power far greater than we can comprehend.

Evidently, though, he has a penis.

If life by default is female (x chromosome) why would God be male?

The origin of this universe may be unknown, but it's probably a natural process. It's also out of the scope of our ability to perceive since there is no "before" the universe in which a god, or anything can exist.

Nothing in the universe has shown to be absolute. Why would we expect there to be any exception?

Just because animals kill each other doesn't mean that god isn't merciful, if you kill to eat I see no problem in that. Please don't tell me you don't think I know as much as I do on god, I have already said these are things I have faith in, not that I know 100% without a doubt.

I believe in god, because matter doesn't simply start from nothing. For example I think God started the big bang

I suspect that Islam decrees the positive qualities of God from either authority, or ad bacculum (threat of force).

Why do you believe that god would even be male or female, that is for animals. If god was a man surely there would be a goddess but god has no partners. He is not an animal if you ask me and so doesn't have a gender. We only refer to god as he/him because it is simple

Why would God need to start the big bang when the collision of two branes could do the same thing? Our little soap-bubble is one in countless

If you want to call the universe "God" that's your prerogative, but then it's folly to assign it anthropomorphic properties like sentience, gender or interest in the moss on a speck of dust.

>Just because you had a bad experience in religion doesn't in any way diminish god.

That's not why I don't believe in God. (Of the two of us, the atheist capitalized God. Oh the irony.) Nobody has ever proven God to exist. You could be right, I don't believe you are. The thing about existence is that you can prove it. You can't prove nonexistence. So if one can be proven, why hasn't it?

>If you ask me who created god that would be a really retarded question because as I have said he is absolute.

So you're saying God has always existed? That's impossible. Anything with a physical form was created at some point in time.

>most atheists I know are lazy losers who fly through life without caring about anything or anyone but themselves.

This makes me sad, the atheists I know are all chill people who are just like me. I suppose, kind of like my experience with the church, there are two kinds of theists and atheists.

Sorry but I don't understand what is your point, are you trying to say Muslims or prophets force the believe that god is good when he might not be?

Not some animals. Not even a bunch of animals. But every. fucking. life. form. on. this. planet.

It either kills, or is killed, or both. All life on this planet is either predator or prey, down to the smallest and simplest plants animals and microbes.

What sort of an example does that provide? What is the message embedded? Do you think it tells us to love one another, or does it tell us to smash something with a big stick and tear bloody chunks out of it with our fucking teeth?

Tell me, again, about the merciful compassion?

I'm not saying that the universe is god, I'm saying he must of started it in some shape or form

Actually, modern theists refer to God as male out of force of habit.

Theists tend to easily slip towards the Abramic diety (El, who did have a consort, Asherah, aka Ishtar, aka Aphrodite)

But way back when, the El priests massacred the Asherah priests and made worshiping her a capital crime.

So the modern Abrahamic religions literally do not recognize women.

Religion only seems to answer one question with another. If the argument is that something created the universe then what created it? If the argument is that the deity has always existed then couldn't the same argument be made that existence has always just been? Of course our universe hasn't always just been and has a beginning, but I'd say it's likely that this isn't the only universe. A lack of current explanation for the spark of our universe or for whether there are multiple universe's doesn't seem adequate for reasoning a God. Many many things have been unable to explained in the past that are now easily explained, I figure it's just a matter of time and evolution to find these solutions. I find religion to be a lazy explanation I suppose.

I don't believe god to have any kind of physical form, I guess Christians or Hindus might believe that.

As a Muslim I don't believe all people who go to hell go there for an eternity with maybe some exceptions for example creating false gods or trying to be god, neither do I believe atheists can't go to heaven.

Human brains cant quantify all the physical elements in their immediate world and will evolve more, and it seems plausible there are more advanced things out there and that they potentially impacted on our existence, but with the universe being so vast and enourmous its quite amazing that we're able to do anything, let alone believe whatever it is you believe.

Theology level: Sup Forums genius

to me religion just causes unnecessary problems. look at the middle east "religion of peace" my ass. that place has been unstable longer than jesus had been dead. but realistically it causes more questions than answered. why do you pray to (a) god you get better from your illness, then turn around and go to a doctor and get amoxicillin for your strep? its just illogical.

That's exactly my point.

We have the ability to decide for ourselves what is right or wrong, and we've done so for hundreds of thousands of years without a divine being telling us what to do.

But what God dictates according to scripture, and how God behaves (or commands) according to scripture are contrary to what is commonly regarded as good. For instance, annihilation of other tribes run contrary to reciprocity and avoidance of harm.

Modern faith is about faith in scripture, which is God's alleged words as transcribed by other humans.

It's about faith in the lies of men.

I'm an atheist because just because I don't knowor understand how the universe came to be doesn't mean that there is a god, let alone any of the gods of any specific religion that has ever existed on this tiny spec of blue dust we call Earth.

I wonder how many atheists believe in an afterlife? I don't, but I wonder the percentage.

Im an atheist because every religion I've tried is fucking stupid.

Then what started God? If even the universe must have a cause, then God must also have a cause too.

And the force that starts the universe still doesn't get a free pass on any other attributes you may wish to assign to God. You still can't say it's intelligent, for instance.

>Of course our universe hasn't always just been and has a beginning
So, you are suggesting that at one point there was nothing... not just a vacuum of empty space, but literally nothingness, the absence of any "being" in the "to be" sense of the word.

Why would anything ever cease to continue not being? It defies (human) reasoning. Hence my "technology sufficiently advanced" quote.

We will never be able to understand or explain this in any meaningful way. We simply lack the capacity to. Anything less than accepting that fact, is only so much speculation and navel-gazing.

You don't have to associate with any religion to have faith in god. I would agree with you in many cases especially with modern Christianity the things they say and do are far different than what the original Bible told them to do. I don't believe we or any other animal or alien will ever be able to understand god or prove his existence. We just have to have faith (or not) but be good people and wait.

Agnostic

>before anyone goes full sperg on me

i lean more towards atheist, but im perfectly fine not knowing whats really "out there", no one ever has, or ever will know what happens after we die, so i just focus more on paying rent

It's threads like these that make me remember why I'm a nihilist.

The whole universe can't have just apparated out of nothing and the same goes for a so called "God". What proof do we have that existence is even real?

An atheist afterlife is possible if we are in a simulated universe.

But given what we know of quantum mechanics, an afterlife is NOT possible if this is purely a material world.

And yes, this is to say accepting that there is a supernatural element is to also accept that the universe is simulated.

You know the oldest forms of religion actually made the individual God and not some separate entity. This was adopted later to trick mankind and pull him away from his true spiritually. If you feel the need for a "creator" then understand the universe and everything in it is the "creator". This includes you. You are literally made out of everything the universe is made from. You are actually the universe trying to understand itself. This is how the universe becomes self aware, through your observation. The material world does not exist unless you are there to witness it. Google "the measurement problem". This will show you how we are connected to the entire universe.
Enjoy!

>Something coming from nothing does not make sense.
>He has no beginning or end.

I'm an atheist because a man controlling everything from the sky is impossible

I 100% understand now and can agree with you on most parts but I believe even somebody who hasn't heard anybody else's opinion on god would assume that he is good and wants us to be good.

Atheist because nothing has convinced me any of these gods exist, and every religion is hilariously wrong on just about everything. The burden of proof is on theists and they fail to deliver. I'm open to believing in a god if someone can prove one exists, but it doesn't seem as though anyone is really trying.

I haven't thought that hard dude

We can't say there was nothingness, because to say that would imply there was a time when there wasn't anything.

Time started with the big bang. There was no "before".

As to how the universe started or if it even needed a cause (again, no time in which that cause could exist) is beyond our understanding, or our ability to perceive with our limited scope.

But to infer God from an unknown is argument from ignorance, which is folly.

Oh, but I can say that the Universe is intelligent, if we only accept that any part of the universe is intelligent.

You, for example, looking out at the night sky, are a perfect example of the universe contemplating itself. Are you intelligent? If so, the universe is too - inasmuch as you are yourself a very tiny part of the universe.

It's not mere pedantry. Every example of intelligence within the universe, is also more proof of the total intelligence OF the universe. There are over 8 billion instances of quite clever chunks of universe just within the nearest 8 thousand miles or so of your position. You are literally surrounded in proof of the intelligence of the universe.

something that is relative coming from nothing makes no sense is what I meant, sorry for the confusion

But why have faith in a god at all? It runs contrary to all evidence,

Indeed we are driven as social animals to be part of a bigger picture, but that's not a purpose to the universe, that's a purpose to society. We want to fit in.

So if you're going to pretend there's a god because it makes you feel better, admit that and stay honest with yourself.

>atheist
work hard, the more i do, the more opportunities open there doors to me.

Bah! The simulated universe theory is just the "old man in a robe in the sky" theory re-packaged in a Star Trek uniform.

Cool threads, blinking lights, and those slick Giordi mono-shades - but it's still just a Bible story.

> Out of nothing.

That's presumptive. There was no point in which there was nothing.

You need to understand the difference between believing and knowing. No theist will ever be able to prove his existence, that is kind of the whole point if you ask me. I personally don't mind if you want to go on being an atheist as long as you're a good person and are responsible

i'm atheist because there is not concrete evidence the proves there is a god

If god is all powerful, then why is there evil?

> There was no point in which there was nothing.

That's presumptive as well. There was no point in which there was anything.

I don't have faith in god as part of finding meaning or feeling good about myself, I have faith in god because it makes sense to me personally and I fear him. Other than that I am good because others around me our nice to me and so I should treat them the same way

> As to how the universe started [...] is beyond our understanding, or our ability to perceive with our limited scope.
Agreed
>But to infer God from an unknown is argument from ignorance, which is folly.
But to assume your definition of "God" is mine, and then declare it a folly, is arrogance.
My definition is "the unknowable, incomprehensible origin of the universe." Hey, what do you know, it can be inferred without any fallacy violations. Also, added bonus - I don't have to be a pretentious prick!

You can't create something from nothing.

Quantum foam would like a word with you.

I don't really care, but I am likely agnostic.

There is no evidence for a god or gods, thus theism is based on faith without evidence.

There is no evidence for the absence of a god or gods, thus atheism is based on faith without evidence.

I base my views on observation, thus theism and atheism are both foolish in my opinion.

because god created good and evil and then gave specifically humans the opportunity to act good or evil and be rewarded or punished as a result of doing so. I don't know why because I don't understand god but I have faith in that much at least.

>something coming from nothing does not make sense

Then where did God come from?

Hah! Not so fast.

The thing is, we might eventually be capable of creating simulated universes, ourselves.

I'm not saying we should take comfort that the universe IS simulated. It's (debatably) unlikely.

But it's possible in a material world to make one, where it's not possible for a material world to have an afterlife.

In fact, it might be our destiny, that we're going to someday create a matryoshka brain so that we can live happily and well-entertained for the rest of the lifespan of the universe.

And in that light (the argument goes), this life is conditioning so that we appreciate what we got. Also that societies within that simulation could create simulations, themselves.

It's not meant to be a position of faith, but a Socratic supposition.

I'm atheist because when science can't explain something I can accept that it's just something humanity hasn't grasped yet, and I don't blame everything on the fairy tale man in the sky

Well, I for one, know I exist because I think, and at least I dream.

But yes, there may be nothing else.

The abscence of evidence is not the evidence of abscence.

This is literally what i saw in every atheist i ever met,

That's a good point I wish I had mentioned, our definitions for god are different.

If, in a material world, I was able to perfectly and accurately duplicate every molecule in your body... Right down to electron spin states and energy levels... Would the new copy truly be you?

... If so, why would you insist that a material world precludes an afterlife? Hell, another "you" could be born just randomly, maybe there are already like 6 of you.

> I exist because I think

Can rocks think? What about when you're not thinking? The "I think therefore I am." argument is fundamentally flawed and only points to existence being mandatory.

I'm an atheist because I know the history of Europe, and I don't appreciate being controlled by and organization that exists purely to exploit.

there are a bunch of religions, if god was real then he/she would show up.

i got into a car accident. i crashed into a tree having a seizure. i saw the light. i saw a bunch of angles they were a bunch of hot blonde girls.

That is such bullshit

I believe "god" is just a part of everything in the universe

Fine, for this argument I can accept that:

God = the unknowable, incomprehensible origin of the universe.

But what can we infer from that definition of God?

I would argue: nothing.

And that's the problem. Usually theistic cosmological discussions are about making out God to be something more than an unknowable thing.

I choose to accept there remains a possibility that the universe never failed to exist. There's a strong likelihood that "nothing" is not a natural state.

Certainly vaccuum is not nothing (even if we eliminate trace hydrogen, it still has the properties of orientation and position)

"I'm a rabbit because cars make pollution and should be outlawed."

No, seriously: mine made a lot more sense than yours.

^

Whether or not you meant to you have increased my faith further, thank you

You assuming you know something about a place when you were not there, that is called having faith. You are not an atheist...

>I don't have to be a pretentious prick!

>But what can we infer from that definition of God?
>I would argue: nothing.
Who would you argue with? I would be agreeing with you.
Some of those other kids are still trying to say a bunch of stuff about what the definition of god they came up with means, and tells us, etc. I don't play with those kids; they are often very mean.

Everything is connected somehow. Psydelics help show us

The butthurt is strong with this one!

No you are right he and his intentions are unknowable, that is why we have faith in him and what he wants us to do for example be good because it makes the most sense, at least for me

What didn't you understand?

I'm an atheist because I'm not smart enough to comprehend anything I cannot observe. I am of simple mind.

There is no God. I'm a fucking athesit.

I'm just wondering.

If the Universe is expanding, what is it expanding into?

Is it expanding because of a force pulling it outward, or is it because of a force pushing it outward?

What caused the force?

Was it an explosion from the centre, or an airtight packaging breach thing from the outside?

Can the Universe be observed from outside?

What is the total Area of the space the Universe is expanding into and what will happen when that space is filled?

Will the expansion reach a speed and expansion rate singularity at 50% exterior capacity and fill 100% instantly?

Will the walls of the Universe reverberate from the container we are held in?

Will the Universe breach the container?

Will the Universe crack?

If it cracks, will the Universe be sucked out as thr material 'Space' is made of rushes to fill the containers space, where the 'Space' of that Space contains less 'Space'?

Should we be worried if our Space is sucked out to fill the containers 'Space' Space because there may be something containing the container?

What if we expand into the first container because it brings us with it's own expansion into this new, scary container?

What if our 'Space' in Space is sucked into the containers Space as our 'Space' fills the void, then we expand into the container and it breaaches the second container and our 'Space' Space is sucked into that new, bigger Space?

Vsauce, Michael here.

Because I feel like it

I don't get it isn't atheism a religion.

I see no evidence of a higher power at work or of any sort of grand design so I am an atheist. I'm perfectly willing to believe in something but not just because a book written in an age of ignorance that was then rewritten, edited, translated many times, and then edited again says so.

No, it's a lack of one.

Oh, I understood it just fine. It was just fucking retarded.
Your assertion boils down to "I insist that [class of thing] does not exist, because [self-proclaimed instance of thing] sucks."

Or, translated further, "My bad experience with these assholes makes me an expert on their supposed field of study."

... do you follow, bunny wabbit?